Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. (2330 Views)

Is It A Crime To Admit That Your Spouse Is Older Than You? (my Story) / Are Second Born Children The Most Successful? / Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by Mikester: 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2021
Here are the facts some of us may or may not have noticed about second borns.

1. Second-born children are more resilient

When second-born children are born into a family, there is already a first child who has enjoyed the full attention of everyone in the family, and will continue to do so, albeit perhaps with some minor shifts.

With that, your second-born must quickly learn how to cope with the need to share the love and attention of mum and dad. He/she then learns early on that life doesn’t always go their way which then helps him/her develop resilience and independence – both of which are valuable skills that he/she will need while growing up.

And as a parent, you couldn’t be any prouder to see how your little one navigates through life with a whole lot of confidence.

2. Most Second-born children have great negotiation skills

If there’s one skill that second-born children will become good at during their growing up years, it would be their ability to compromise and negotiate. And this is especially so when they eventually become the middle children!

Imagine the amount of time they would spend getting their parents and siblings to agree to their terms or to make their requests known. This is the perfect living example of “practice makes perfect”.

3. Second-born children are very determined

Imagine living the life of a second-born with an older sibling who is constantly running around, talking faster than you can process and always eager to show off to mum and dad what he/she can do.

To fit in, your second born would want to catch up as fast as possible to get his/her fair share of hugs and praises.

But as mums and dads, we can help them along the way by encouraging and praising them for their efforts.

4. Second-born children develop beautiful friendships

One of the most awkward things about being a second-born child, especially if one is also the middle child, is the feeling of being left out at times. This can be a common occurrence as mum and dad’s attention is often diverted by the older or younger siblings.

With that, second-borns tend to be more sociable to make up for the lack of attention at home. Known as the “social butterfly” of the family, they make friends with ease and usually have no issues fitting in various social circles.

In short, your second-born child is likely to be the friend who makes one feel at ease despite just getting to know each other.

This theory doesn't apply to majority of second borns cause research has it that some are highly introverted.

5. Male second borns are likely to become more shrewd, rebellious and aggressive.

Based on factors such as number 1, most male second borns tend to become tougher, more resilient and have a higher rate of shrewdness compared to the others.

6. They are not as favored as older siblings

In the book The Evolution of Personality and Individual Differences, the authors wrote that second-born children are not as highly-favored as the elder children, nor do they receive as much overall attention. This causes them to become highly independent and rather ingenious in their approaches to life. They aren't given as much, so they have to use what little they receive and make it last and make it more valuable.

7. They're given more autonomy... at least at first

If you have two or more kids, you already know what this one is about. With the first, you're on that child like white on rice. You monitor everything they do down to the tiniest detail. By the second child, you're more laid back, relaxed. Research published in the Journal of Adolescence suggested that second-born children have much more autonomy than first borns. That is, until the first borns can truly take care of themselves and the parents don't have anywhere else to put their energy... so it goes right back into the second-born, taking away that surplus of autonomy.

Or if you're the middle child, you just kind of get lost in the shuffle, which is the best of both worlds.

8. They're less likely to go to or finish college

This is mostly due to the fact that the resources were mostly used for the firstborn children and were not available to them. Ironic, given that second-borns were more stressed about education.

Few examples of popular second borns and middle children include everyone from Martin Luther King Jr. to Bill Gates to Jennifer Lopez. Locals include K cee and E money.

Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by EmptyGarden(m): 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2021
Who pay the person wey carry out this study?
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by vinceyinnovation: 7:09pm On Aug 20, 2021
After reading this article in just a second, I have agreed to second this motion since I am second.
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by hybrid11(m): 7:11pm On Aug 20, 2021
I'm broke and I am a third son, who go send me money here I don't want to commit suicide
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by Mikester: 7:12pm On Aug 20, 2021
Oga Lalasticlala, what do you think?
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by Mikester: 7:15pm On Aug 20, 2021
EmptyGarden:
Who pay the person wey carry out this study?

They are mostly entrepreneurs and some like regular people you meet in your day to day life. These facts were founded via contributions from people round the world.
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by TopsyKrete: 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2021
hybrid11:
I'm broke and I am a third son, who go send me money here I don't want to commit suicide

Watin last borns no go see for nairaland??!!
Se make we kuku go auction Asorock or national assembly building because Una wan show Una relevance
Re: 8 Facts About Second Born Children We Noticed But Failed To Admit. by hybrid11(m): 9:30pm On Sep 03, 2021
TopsyKrete:

Watin last borns no go see for nairaland??!!
Se make we kuku go auction Asorock or national assembly building because Una wan show Una relevance
grin grin cheesy
Bro send me money abeg

(1) (Reply)

For Men: 3 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Making Love With Married Women / I Advised My Sister To Give Her Husband Space / Who Is The Best Caretaker? Father Or Mother?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.