Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,265 members, 7,836,208 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal (11941 Views)

Sub-license Channels, Court Orders Multichoice / Tribunal Stops Multichoice From Increasing Tariffs / FG Asks Multichoice To Suspend DSTV, GOTV Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by olatade(m): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2021
Good one
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Mckeni007: 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2021
Imagine say DSTV park live Nigeria
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Bankowner: 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2021
N900bn is an awfully lot of money. DSTV subscribers should prepare for a hike in prices, na we go pay that money.

3 Likes

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by laskay44(m): 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2021
Ẹ don read for them smiley grin shocked
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2021
After spending the loan they have been taking on Yusuf's wedding,they are looking for a way to recoup their expenses.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Babaken(m): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2021
clarocuzioo:
These criminals.after extorting Nigerians evaded tax?
The thunder that will fire them is.still doing.press up.
what of Nigeria that's not taking their job serious and after realizing the tax it will still go for embezzlement.
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Caboceer: 4:38pm On Aug 25, 2021
JessWade:
Do you mean digital goods permanently maintained? I can think of a tone of subscription companies immediately, therefore I think something in your query is lacking.
What about the unlimited kindle? You can keep your e-books or subscription management software as long as you like, but only a limited number can be kept at once.
Have you ever a problem in mind that you wish to solve or merely jump into a bandwagon? You might know that subscription is not the proper monetization choice if you have no product in mind yet.

Bot or Madman

Which one are you.?cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by KaptainAfrika: 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2021
Please DSTV increase your subscription fee, give a great reason to stop renewing your sub.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by nedekid: 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2021
Rubbish, 900billion?
People that are hailing, hope you are prepared to watch NTA.
It is impossible to believe all these years dstv has not paid taxes. Possibly some civil servant woke up somewhere to hit them with some unreasonable tax bill. Afterall, I have had local government, Nepa, lawma, water works etc hit me with unreasonable bills before which I was able to maneuver me way around.
At the rate these quota system abokis are going, they will destroy this country.
Look at efcc raiding high class hotels and residences, busting into rooms at odd hours, look at customs extorting Nigerians with huge duties for cars etc( but they don't pay duty for their personal cars, they hit us with high taxes down south but they don't pay taxes.
Well, it's either multichoice will leave the country or increase charges by hundreds of percent.
Make we watch NTA or internet jare.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Ikpongiton: 4:46pm On Aug 25, 2021
Why did it take so long to prosecutes them? something is fishing.maybe Ghana must go didn't change hand.
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Krismas(m): 4:49pm On Aug 25, 2021
venabili:
Hmmn.

While this may sound like a "serve them right" to most of us "extorted" by Multichoice, the question is if they really evaded tax? This was not confirmed by the TAT. They basically latched on to the provision of the tax law which stipulates that you should pay even if the case is unresolved. So if i am erroneously charged an inflated tax and i am appealing, the law expects me to pay. While most nigerians may not be aware, all the IRS have a propensity to charge inflated tax in the hope that something will "drop" during appeal.
If you win, they simpley refuse to credit you and promise you a tax credit over a number of years. In Nigeria economic clime where the naira loses value per minute, you know what that means.

On a personal note though, this looks like another effort to frustrate South African companies. I'm not justifying tax evasion, but if they fold up in nigeria, we lose their contributions to our economy as well as the job they created. And lets not deceive ourselves, no nigerian company can fill their shoes. We are simply not cut out for such stuffs while we are on nigerian soil. We only excel outside.
grin Chai! See Mis-yarn. If u go for Tribunal, u’re required to pay the UNDISPUTED SUM. I.e pay wot u believe it is u owing. It’s possible they argued their gbese was in the region of half wot the authorities were asking. So they were instructed to pay it. If multichoice like, let them leave, but they will balance everything b4 they will be allowed to japa grin

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Themandator: 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2021
Government is determine to use other means to force dstv to share their so called exclusive contents in Nigeria

Tstv takes over Nigeria with all HD channels once they include Epl and cnn
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by clothingonline(m): 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2021
8 out of every 10 homes in Nigeria use multi choice and Mtn
I wish they are Nigeria company this org wire 3 trillion out of Nigeria monthly and our budget no reach 10 trillion

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Caseless: 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2021
Good news
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by FarahAideed: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2021
otokx:
Multichoice makes a whole lot of money from Nigeria, they should settle this matter amicably.

How much do they make from Nigeria? How many subscribers do they have in Nigeria ? How many active subscriber do they have ? You people just open your mouth Waaaa
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by FarahAideed: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2021
clothingonline:
8 out of every 10 homes in Nigeria use multi choice and Mtn
I wish they are Nigeria company this org wire 3 trillion out of Nigeria monthly and our budget no reach 10 trillion

Lies Multichoice has just about 3 million subscribers in Nigeria so stop the lies you are spewing .... 8 in 10 Nigerians homes indeed cheesy

You people just imagine things ...DSTV biggest market is South Africa with almost 9 million subscribers

3 Likes

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by tivta(m): 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2021
venabili:
Hmmn.

While this may sound like a "serve them right" to most of us "extorted" by Multichoice, the question is if they really evaded tax? This was not confirmed by the TAT. They basically latched on to the provision of the tax law which stipulates that you should pay even if the case is unresolved. So if i am erroneously charged an inflated tax and i am appealing, the law expects me to pay. While most nigerians may not be aware, all the IRS have a propensity to charge inflated tax in the hope that something will "drop" during appeal.
If you win, they simpley refuse to credit you and promise you a tax credit over a number of years. In Nigeria economic clime where the naira loses value per minute, you know what that means.

On a personal note though, this looks like another effort to frustrate South African companies. I'm not justifying tax evasion, but if they fold up in nigeria, we lose their contributions to our economy as well as the job they created. And lets not deceive ourselves, no nigerian company can fill their shoes. We are simply not cut out for such stuffs while we are on nigerian soil. We only excel outside.

Its like you work for or with them. Nigeria will survive without them

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by TheManPregnant: 6:54pm On Aug 25, 2021
FarahAideed:

Lies Multichoice has just about 3 million subscribers in Nigeria so stop the lies you are spewing .... 8 in 10 Nigerians homes indeed cheesy

You people just imagine things ...DSTV biggest market is South Africa with almost 9 million subscribers

Did you include Gotv subscribers in this your 3 million figure? I think it's way more than that

2 Likes

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Odidigboigbo(m): 7:14pm On Aug 25, 2021
FarahAideed:

Are you talking of DSTV subscriber alone or both DSTV and GOTV? GOTV subscribers in Lagos state alone is almost that figure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by pavlovt: 7:15pm On Aug 25, 2021
I thought I saw Taliban order ..... with this plenty news on Taliban self
Doraty1:

https://www.thecable.ng/tribunal-orders-multichoce-to-pay-50-tax-backlog-before-hearing-appeal/amp

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by clothingonline(m): 7:41pm On Aug 25, 2021
FarahAideed:

My brother do u believe Gotv and Dstv users in Lagos and Abuja pass 3milion

Nigeria has more than 10m subscribers ask bbnaija

2 Likes

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Abujaexpress: 7:42pm On Aug 25, 2021
How will multichoice be able to pay almost a trillion Naira? grin
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Bngf: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2021
Really
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by basadenet: 8:18pm On Aug 25, 2021
I do not support tax evasion but the appeal judgement is too harsh. It should temper justice with mercy
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by FarahAideed: 8:24pm On Aug 25, 2021
clothingonline:

My brother do u believe Gotv and Dstv users in Lagos and Abuja pass 3milion

Nigeria has more than 10m subscribers ask bbnaija

We don't ohh ...DStv is projecting 10 million for 2025 for Nigeria this is plus GOTV oo

Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by CUMIN: 9:36pm On Aug 25, 2021
They will pay senator 10 million dollars brine the case will be swept under the table
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by mastertek: 3:10am On Aug 26, 2021
Do you know that they don't pay tax in the north?

It's Haram, company in northern Nigeria doesn't pay tax, it's like abomination to them.

This country is doom
Re: Tribunal Orders Multichoice To Pay 50% Tax Backlog Before Hearing Appeal by Kaybex007(m): 10:09am On Aug 26, 2021
MTN did theirs and got away with it, now it's multichoice.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Worst Movie You Have Watched So Far? / Has Television Lost Its Relevance? / The Maury Show Real Or Fake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.