Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183130 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 8:26am On Dec 22, 2021
Bluetherapy:
Is it correct that freetrade trading app isn't free? I just signed up and there's basic and premium plan.

Is this normal or am I on the wrong platform?
It is correct. They have to make money somehow abi?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ritzzybaron: 8:33am On Dec 22, 2021
I’m done with Nigerian banks tho. I’ll open pounds account when I get to the Uk.

Josh121:

Go open Sterling pounds account, GTB have deposit limit . Sterling doesn’t have any limit and you will deposit pounds and spend pounds
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ritzzybaron: 8:34am On Dec 22, 2021
Thanks Erico, I plan to open an account in the Uk and lodge it in.
erico2k2:

Why though? You will now be faced with how to keep your cash, and you might spend more. If you must do, pls refrain from carrying £50 notes as they might be hard to spend.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 8:41am On Dec 22, 2021
With this, I presume it's cheaper using a Nigerian card abroad than getting pounds at black market rate from Nigeria.

erico2k2:

Thank you, I remember a guy I was at Heathrow with use his 9ja bank card to get o n the underground
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:46am On Dec 22, 2021
Bluetherapy:
Is it correct that freetrade trading app isn't free? I just signed up and there's basic and premium plan.

Is this normal or am I on the wrong platform?

You either choose to turn left or right, either way, you get stung ........... grin

Not all investment platforms, have all stocks/ETFs etc etc

You might find the non premium stock on Etoro (which might be free)...... But you get stung by spread fees......... wink

No free lunch in China........... Incase you want to download etoro, my link is always available..... grin

https://etoro.tw/3s1BT6z
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:53am On Dec 22, 2021
tolajay:
With this, I presume it's cheaper using a Nigerian card abroad than getting pounds at black market rate from Nigeria.

Yes, because with a Nigerian bank card you spend at the official rate.
However, most Nigerian cards are capped at about $100 equivalent a month (I think GTB has the highest at $200).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2021
tolajay:

I wont be able to tell you bout the rate but what I can tell you is this, No fear of getting fake notes and you do not need huge cash in your person to secure it more so if searched by the Police there wont be need for you to start explaining yourself cos people do not really carry cash about here especially when you are BLACK!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 10:30am On Dec 22, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Yes, because with a Nigerian bank card you spend at the official rate.
However, most Nigerian cards are capped at about $100 equivalent a month (I think GTB has the highest at $200).
That's great then as a newB how is he going to spend more than that in a week?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 10:31am On Dec 22, 2021
ritzzybaron:
Thanks Erico, I plan to open an account in the Uk and lodge it in.
Crack on

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Abiodunnn(f): 11:27am On Dec 22, 2021
Hello people,

Please I will be coming in to London this January on a student visa with my child and spouse. Though my husband isn’t staying permanently at the moment.
My main concern now is accommodation, I’m lost as to which area to look at. I learnt that my area determines the kind of school my child goes to and all. Also, I’m pregnant which means it has to be close to a hospital too. I’m looking for a modest 1-bedroom flat, I’ve been checking Zoopla, SpareRoom, Rightmove etc. my school is in Central London.

I need pointers please

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 12:18pm On Dec 22, 2021
Abiodunnn:
Hello people,

Please I will be coming in to London this January on a student visa with my child and spouse. Though my husband isn’t staying permanently at the moment.
My main concern now is accommodation, I’m lost as to which area to look at. I learnt that my area determines the kind of school my child goes to and all. Also, I’m pregnant which means it has to be close to a hospital too. I’m looking for a modest 1-bedroom flat, I’ve been checking Zoopla, SpareRoom, Rightmove etc. my school is in Central London.

I need pointers please

Start with stating where your school is. People familiar with the area might be able to advise you.

Edited: Just seen that your school is in Central London. Doesn’t sound very interesting. Hope you find somethings suitable.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 12:20pm On Dec 22, 2021
Abiodunnn:
Hello people,

I need pointers please

I am more concerned on how you intend to combine studying with a new baby and a todler alone in and around central london.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 12:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

I am more concerned on how you intend to combine studying with a new baby and a todler alone in and around central london.
They may have made arrangement with a nanny or family member. Agreed London is not the ideal place for situation but if there's money, why not?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 12:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
5gee:

They may have made arrangement with a nanny or family member. Agreed London is not the ideal place for situation but if there's money, why not?

That's another angle..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 1:03pm On Dec 22, 2021
Good afternoon everyone!!! I got to Birmingham last night.

Mandatorily, I will have my day 2 test on Thursday and I hope I test negative so I can have access to things and be able to move around.

While at that, I would be needing your help (information) as to how I can secure an employment before my school resume, I think I might be busy during school period, I wouldn’t want anything to affect my primary assignment in the UK. I mean, what website do I need to visit, how do I go about it? I just need some temporary jobs to keep the body and soul together, I wouldn’t want to just sit at home.

Please advice…

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Abiodunnn(f): 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
Yes. My mum will be coming in soon. I just need pointers as to which area is safe to raise kids and all

5gee:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2021
Abiodunnn:
Hello people,

I need pointers please

Although your school may be located in central London. You don’t need to stay in central London, you can find a zone 2 or 3 surrounding area. The reason being that central London rental is very expensive and all you will get is a shoebox where you can’t even swing a cat. Also the schools may be over subscribed. The transport system in London is very good. You may want to look at Stratford etc depending on your budget.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 4:10pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mashaunola:
Please help me !!

I just arrived in the UK and currently observing my mandatory quarantine. Please I will need help or contact to getting a Job (student job). Please how do I go about it. So that I can start after my quarantine.

Secondly, my school resumes officially on 17th January. Am I allowed to work unlimited hours considering my school is not yet in session before I start classes.
In addition, I am yet to get my BRP, can I work with the Visa stamp on my passport pending the collection of my BRP

Congrats

Please may I know the covid test u did in Nigeria if one is fully vaccinated and also the process in the UK. Thank u
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by simplesimple: 4:49pm On Dec 22, 2021
Hi,
Was reading through your posts but didn't find answers to these questions.
Did you choose a school in Scotland
How much where you required to have as pof for the family of 6 and please what documents did you submit.
I'd be glad if you can assist me with more information.

lawali:

@chreze, You can’t imagine how grateful I am for detailed points shared. You partially lifted the burden and unleashed me to power on.

I have taken note of your advice and that of other contributors too.

The journey continues while I stick around within limited time I have to spent online.Thanks very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

Welcome to BirminGHAM

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You either choose to turn left or right, either way, you get stung ........... grin

Not all investment platforms, have all stocks/ETFs etc etc

You might find the non premium stock on Etoro (which might be free)...... But you get stung by spread fees......... wink

No free lunch in China........... Incase you want to download etoro, my link is always available..... grin

https://etoro.tw/3s1BT6z

wonlasewonimi:

It is correct. They have to make money somehow abi?

Thanks for the clarifications.

Wetin no get subscriptions these days?
Bank account get subscription, internet get, TV get, Spotify get, train get, ASDA get, Tesco get, filling station get, credit institutions get....the list is endless shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jummiedel(f): 6:34pm On Dec 22, 2021
contra:

Yep. I know a lot of people with just Nigerian credentials working in big4 recruited directly from Nigeria.
Yes. I got a job with barclays bank. They are less concerned with my 9ja certificate. The experience was the koko. I aced the interview and I was pleased with my self. Not only barclays I've got employment. I had with Sky, Virgin Money, Freeview and Virgin media.
Key Note: Don't panic and don't leave any details out during your interview. Support every question with a case scenario. PRAY WELL.
I kept on applying to build my self esteem and communication skills.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mentholated: 6:37pm On Dec 22, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

Mandatorily, I will have my day 2 test on Thursday and I hope I test negative so I can have access to things and be able to move around.

While at that, I would be needing your help (information) as to how I can secure an employment before my school resume, I think I might be busy during school period, I wouldn’t want anything to affect my primary assignment in the UK. I mean, what website do I need to visit, how do I go about it? I just need some temporary jobs to keep the body and soul together, I wouldn’t want to just sit at home.

Please advice…

Thanks
Must the day 2 test be on day 2? I thought the rule is ON OR BEFORE DAY 2? So one can do the test at the airport on arrival.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 6:49pm On Dec 22, 2021
omopapa:
If you are carrying over £10,000 cash you must declare it at the point of entry. UK is a cashless society and you will have to prove (with evidence) the source of the money when making that huge deposit into your bank account in the UK. On the other hand, you can open monzo, monese bank acct and do naira to pounds exchange. Myself and a couple others on here can help you to facilitate the exchange using black market rate

Cool. So how do I open the account??
How do we do the exchange?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:14pm On Dec 22, 2021
Josh121:

Go open Sterling pounds account, GTB have deposit limit . Sterling doesn’t have any limit and you will deposit pounds and spend pounds

Does gtbank have this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:48pm On Dec 22, 2021
Bluetherapy:

Thanks for the clarifications.

Wetin no get subscriptions these days?
Bank account get subscription, internet get, TV get, Spotify get, train get, ASDA get, Tesco get, filling station get, credit institutions get....the list is endless shocked

They either sting you on the way up or down ........ But stinging is a must ......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 8:32pm On Dec 22, 2021
Abiodunnn:
Yes. My mum will be coming in soon. I just need pointers as to which area is safe to raise kids and all

I still think you need to tell them the area your school is located, Central London is vague. Some people call part of W2 central London

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 8:34pm On Dec 22, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

Please advice…

Thanks
YOu need your NI number, Bank account and CV.Have you gotten those?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lawali: 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2021
TRAY2:
@Justwise and recent Naija travellers, After filling the departure form on the Nigeria international travel portal, I put fully vaccinated and attached proof of my cert, at the end it said “you are not required to make payment”, I’m still not sure if this looks right. Pls was it the same experience for you, i even clicked on make payment it wouldn’t let me.

@justwise/others who travelled to Naija recently, can one transit through Qatar to Naija with only fit to fly cert (departure PCR). I can see UK is on red list of Qatar.

Is there additional requirement other than PCR test? I have checked everywhere I can’t see any but want to err on side of caution. Trying avoid being stranded.

I will appreciate your immediate response. Family member needs to travel from Glasgow to Lagos tomorrow. Urgently need to do booking. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.