Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179408 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 3:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
Lexusgs430:

No managing!!!!!! Don't even contemplate leaving them at home by themselves...........

It's either you leave them in Nigeria (assuming that's your port of exit) or have a social network that you could exchange care services or come with a ready - made childminder from Nigeria.............

Childcare would completely strip you of that 35 hours weekly rota earnings (not considering other logistical associated costs).......
how do u bring child minder from Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:
Does that mean there is no chance of positive outcome in administrative review?

So sorry about the situation. He has to serve the full sentence before he can re apply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 5:31pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hello Guys, this is my first post on this thread even though i have been following for some weeks now and I have to say it has been very wonderful seeing all the invaluable contributions made here for our benefit. Kudos to you all. I am currently doing my Msc in Construction Project and Cost Management in Coventry University and I got here in October. I am hoping to bring my wife and 3 kids over latest by April hopefully, so I was hoping for responses from the house on the following;
1. Is it true that it is not permitted to get a 2 bedroom if you have 3 kids?
2. Are Visa and Health surcharge same for kids under 5 years old, the last will be one next year May
3. I have around 8 years construction and project management background as I have been based in Abuja, what are the chances of getting a sponsored construction job here before my student visa is up as against the post study visa which i have already calculated as over 9000 pounds for me and my family.
Thank you so much for your anticipated responses. I have a lot more questions but this will suffice for now. Happy holidays everyone!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 5:35pm On Dec 27, 2021
Okay, My mum has US green card , came back to Nigeria since November 2019, and didn't go back to US after then, how do I go about her bringing my kids here. Please I really need to know how to go about this
AirBay:

So sorry about the situation. He has to serve the full sentence before he can re apply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:
Okay, My mum has US green card , came back to Nigeria since November 2019, and didn't go back to US after then, how do I go about her bringing my kids here. Please I really need to know how to go about this

Your mum needs to apply for a visitor's visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 6:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
Ok, thank you.
AirBay:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2021
I pray they grant her ....thats my only option left now
AirBay:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 6:38pm On Dec 27, 2021
Icesnow:
how do u bring child minder from Nigeria?

Through cotonou grin just joking o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:

Just remember not to say she is coming to look after your children; simply state she's coming to visit with you and your children.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:01pm On Dec 27, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

I remember there used to be a visa whereby a family coming to the UK could bring in a domestic worker legally to the UK in that capacity. Some of those oil company people in Aberdeen back in the days when Aberdeen was a boomtown had nannies they brought in on those visas. Not sure if the visa still exists.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
missjekyll:

Wrong way around. Heater during the day. Wear woollen lounge wear and stockings. Sainsburys does some cute ones.i m Wearing some now. You can layer thermal wear under it since you are not yet acclimatised. Marks and Spencer does thermal wear.Turn heater off at night when under TOG 13.5 Duvet.
Thank you for this. However I checked our electricity billing and the rates are cheaper at night. Does this still matter with the day and night heating stuff?
PS Day rate in kwh-24.09p
Night rate -10.98p

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
justwise:

Then there is very little the solicitor you hired can do. He was banned in 2015 and the agent who submitted forged documents did not disclose that to him then he applied and the ban was activated.

He can not use agent as an excuse.

Concentrate in getting your mum a visa to help with kids.

Very unfortunate situation

Keep telling people not to use agents, most still won't listen.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 8:35pm On Dec 27, 2021
Ok noted, Thank you . I can just state she is bringing my kids
TheGuyFromHR:

Just remember not to say she is coming to look after your children; simply state she's coming to visit with you and your children.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 8:36pm On Dec 27, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I remember there used to be a visa whereby a family coming to the UK could bring in a domestic worker legally to the UK in that capacity. Some of those oil company people in Aberdeen back in the days when Aberdeen was a boomtown had nannies they brought in on those visas. Not sure if the visa still exists.

I think they abused it or the domestic workers started waking up on how to get their ILR through slave working route.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 8:39pm On Dec 27, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 8:42pm On Dec 27, 2021
Thanks , I will do just that.
justwise:

Then there is very little the solicitor you hired can do. He was banned in 2015 and the agent who submitted forged documents did not disclose that to him then he applied and the ban was activated.

He can not use agent as an excuse.

Concentrate in getting your mum a visa to help with kids.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DFmum: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
Okay....am really confused in making decisions on this matter, should I leave my kids back home with their father or bring them here with my mother for how long? Are there agencies where I can hire helps to stay with the kids when I go to work? So many on this little head of mine
TheGuyFromHR:

You will need to apply for a replacement vignette.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:50pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:
Okay....am really confused in making decisions on this matter, should I leave my kids back home with their father or bring them here with my mother for how long? Are there agencies where I can hire helps to stay with the kids when I go to work? So many on this little head of mine

Better leave them with your husband or mother until you stabilze in the UK oo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2021
@justwise @TheGuyFromHR @fatima04 Please I posted this earlier

Hello Guys, this is my first post on this thread even though i have been following for some weeks now and I have to say it has been very wonderful seeing all the invaluable contributions made here for our benefit. Kudos to you all. I am currently doing my Msc in Construction Project and Cost Management in Coventry University and I got here in October. I am hoping to bring my wife and 3 kids over latest by April hopefully, so I was hoping for responses from the house on the following;
2. Are Visa and Health surcharge same for kids under 5 years old, the last will be one next year May
3. I have around 8 years construction and project management background as I have been based in Abuja, what are the chances of getting a sponsored construction job here before my student visa is up as against the post study visa which i have already calculated as over 9000 pounds for me and my family.
Thank you so much for your anticipated responses. I have a lot more questions but this will suffice for now. Happy holidays everyone!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:29pm On Dec 27, 2021
Lexusgs430:

If you have a smart tv ....... IPTV or firestick.. ......

When you say legal, kuku pay full price ........ wink
Thank you.
I'm a new comer so still standing on one foot hence my use of the word "legal".
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:47pm On Dec 27, 2021
IcecoldDon:
@justwise @TheGuyFromHR @fatima04 Please I posted this earlier

1. It's the ages and genders of the children that count in relation to overcrowding - (children of different genders heading towards teenage years and above should not share the same room), so given that you've got children under 5, you can take a 2 bedroom flat.

2. The fee is the same for all children irrespective of their age.

3. Since you asked, if you would like to bring your family over and to have them stay, my advice would be for you to start saving up for the 9,000+ pounds fee, while you continue to offer up prayers and supplications to your preferred supernatural being for the first outcome to eventuate, because my opinion is that it is way more likely that you will have to pay it than not.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:52pm On Dec 27, 2021
ukay2:

Better leave them with your husband or mother until you stabilze in the UK oo

Best advice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:

Keep emotion aside and apply cold calculation.
Leave the children at home for a while.
Settle into your job and new life first.
Stabilise.
(Your mother can only spend a maximum of 6 months at a time on a visitor's visa, and she certainly can't leave then turn around at Lagos airport and return for another 6 months).
Map out the battles you will have to fight regarding childcare and costs thereof.
Mobilise the resources you will need to deal with the situation facing you.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:04pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:
In addition to what others have suggested, you can have other family members come to help you if possible. Say your mother comes for 5 months, then your mother-in-law can come for the next 5 months and then they can rotate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:15pm On Dec 27, 2021
Can't advise on the decision but if you want to bring them, as others have said, you can be rotating your mum and mother in law or you can get someone to live in with you (au pair). You will give the person free accommodation, food etc and the person in return will take care of your children. Depending on the person, you might pay between £550 to £1000 per month for this.

DFmum:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hi all. Does anyone know about the aupair website? I just filled the application form and I'm required to pay 45 dollars for registration before I can be matched with someone. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:30pm On Dec 27, 2021
teeebest:

Can you please expantiate a bit on the charge back opportunity?

I might be able to get someone in the UK to help pay the deposit with credit card

Using a credit/ debit card to pay gives you protection to claw back the funds if the goods/ services paid for are not delivered. All the major debit cards and credits cards have this function - you raise a dispute with your bank and they'll retract the money - however if the vendor can show/ prove they delivered the goods/ service, the money will be handed back to them. You must first ask the vendor to refund your money and show evidence you have made that request.

All UK credit cards have a section 75 consumer protection by law - where if you dispute the provision of goods and services, then card company will pay you your money back then either claw it back from the vendor or eat the costs themselves. A S75 offers more protection than a cash back cos you're guaranteed your money back under a S75 cos the card provider is also held liable. I make all major transactions on my CC.

See more here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:37pm On Dec 27, 2021
DFmum:

Depending our buoyant your pocket is, you can hire an au pair (lives with you) or a nanny (does not live with you). Some families also do a nanny share to keep costs down. If you want to go the au pair route - have a look at au pair world - you can look through as an au pair looking for a family to give you an idea what's available/ pay.

PS - We had au pairs for about 6 years. Brexit has decimated their numbers a bit. If you're on FB, there's a UK nannies, au pairs and host families FB group that is quite large and is a good starting point. I can also share my au pair manual with you if you want. Au pair world has 1, 3, 6 and 12 months membership options. It's also worth noting that au pairs can also be very very unreliable and finding the right one takes time. There was a year we had 4!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2021
Ticha:

Depending our buoyant your pocket is, you can hire an au pair (lives with you) or a nanny (does not live with you). Some families also do a nanny share to keep costs down. If you want to go the au pair route - have a look at au pair world - you can look through as an au pair looking for a family to give you an idea what's available/ pay.

PS - We had au pairs for about 6 years. Brexit has decimated their numbers a bit. If you're on FB, there's a UK nannies, au pairs and host families FB group that is quite large and is a good starting point. I can also share my au pair manual with you if you want. Au pair world has 1, 3, 6 and 12 months membership options. It's also worth noting that au pairs can also be very very unreliable and finding the right one takes time. There was a year we had 4!
Hi! Did you pay for sign up? I'm trying to sign up but I'm required to pay 45 dollars for 30 days validity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
Icesnow:
Hi! Did you pay for sign up? I'm trying to sign up but I'm required to pay 45 dollars for 30 days validity.

Au pair world used to charge in euros - cos it's based in Europe. Yes, when I used it I paid but try finding one from the FB page first especially as those ones will already be in the UK and there's no guarantee that you'll find a suitable au pair in 30 days either should you pay up. Which website are you looking at?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:36am On Dec 28, 2021
Why is childcare so expensive though?

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.