Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,417 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (237) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177540 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 12:58am On Feb 03, 2022
Thank you for the detail information.

The only problem with this it that I'm just e weeks in uk.

Does it mean I have to wait till am 183days before starting the driver license process?

Or is there a way around it.

I have my into license tho n been driver for over 12 yrs in ninja.

omopapa:
1. Apply for provisional licence https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence (you must have lived legally in the uk for atleast 185days)

2. Buy, download and practice the questions in the Official DVSA Theory Test Kit for £4.99 from AppStore. There are other free versions but I recommend the paid one https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/official-dvsa-theory-test-kit/id463295925

3. Book the theory test for car and motorcycle, costs £23 https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test you need to get 43 out of 50 questions correctly to pass

4. Book the driving practical test for £75 at https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

Prior to this, you shld have had atleast 40-45 hours of driving lessons as a new driver or just couple of lessons to brush up ur skills if you have been driving from abroad.

NB: A manual licence lets you drive automatic cars but automatic licence doesn’t let you drive manual.

5. Congratulations you have passed your driving and your provisional licence would be exchanged for a FULL UK license.

Jara: Next step is to search for suitable insurance policy here �confused.com

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 1:01am On Feb 03, 2022
Can u recommend a reputable training outfit for me? Need to register for one assp.

gratefulme40:

Do your mandatory trainings first. No one is gonna give you shifts without your mandatory trainings except a home employs you and trains your as their staff
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 1:03am On Feb 03, 2022
Located in wales. Swansea to be precise.
Applied for the NI already, expecting it in the coming weeks.

mimilyrics:
Where are you located?
Once you get your NI, you can check for jobs using appropriate filters on Healthjobsuk.com
You can search for Bank positions while you prep for something permanent, within or outside of the NHS.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 1:05am On Feb 03, 2022
Wow! Will try this then.

But the manager might ask for my uk experience of training.

STENON:
You do not need to submit any CV for care assistant job. Just go straight to any care home nearest to you, ask for the manager and introduce yourself, then request for their application form to fill.
mention that you have work experience. Watch Many YouTube Videos on moving and handling and also duties of a care assistant in a care home.
Don't apply through agency or home care or live in care route first.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 1:22am On Feb 03, 2022
Prior to my arrival in the UK, I used to think earning money or making money is pretty simple working in this UK, I’ve only spent 1 month and I can tell you BOSS, that £50 is not easy…

When they advice incoming students to pay almost 80% of their tuition before leaving Nigeria, they are really right…
Lexusgs430:

You can afford it nah ........ £50 kpere .......... smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:25am On Feb 03, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Prior to my arrival in the UK, I used to think to actually earn money or make money is pretty simple working in this UK, I’ve only spent 1 month and I can tell you BOSS, that £50 is not easy…

When they advice incoming students to pay almost 80% of their tuition before leaving Nigeria, they are really right…

Do you know of any other currency with a surname? Pounds Sterling!

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 1:28am On Feb 03, 2022
I’m not sure you have to wait.

I came here January 2nd, last week I applied for a provisional drivers license online and I paid £34 after the completion of the online form, I was told a mail would be sent to my address.
I got back from school this afternoon and I met a mail by my door from DVLA with a form telling me to take a passport photo, attach my BRP to the form and send it to the address on the file it came with…
I will be doing that tomorrow
ibk5891:

Does it mean I have to wait till am 183days before starting the driver license process?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:54am On Feb 03, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Prior to my arrival in the UK, I used to think earning money or making money is pretty simple working in this UK, I’ve only spent 1 month and I can tell you BOSS, that £50 is not easy…

You see, it makes sense when it hits you in the face, like a wet fish ......

The heat would be hotter, when the cooker is on ...... grin

That time that your family member, only sent you £100, and you started cursing them ...... May the Lord 4give you .......... grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:01am On Feb 03, 2022
ibk5891:
Wow! Will try this then.

Before you go, ensure you understand equipments used .......

Do you know what a hoist is, types of hoists + usage, sara steady, rota stand, can you interprete vital signs observations, can you recognise a deteriorating resident, can you do personal care, can you transfer residents safely, you fully understand manual handling etc etc etc

I don give you expo ........... cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lastbornbuns: 2:27am On Feb 03, 2022
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

I need your assistance.

I moved to UK last year November on Healthcare Visa. My family just got their Visa approved and planning to come in may or june.

My husband is of opinion that he will only spend two weeks and return to Nigeria because he has some loan to pay back in Nigeria. He plans to work till December before he finally joins us.

Below are my questions.

1. What is implication of my husband decision to stay outside UK more than 6months

2. Is his decision capable of affecting us in future when we are to switch Visa status?

I will appreciate if anyone can assist with above questions.

Thank you

"You must have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months." Google UK ilr eligibility
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 5:31am On Feb 03, 2022
ibk5891:
Bro I have tender 3 Nigeria experience.

But this recruiter are either asking for at least 1 month uk experience or driver license with a car.

I just tire. Bills are pilling up already.

If only I can get someone who runs a care home that I can do free work for 3days, and the person will reference me as uk experience.

What part of UK are you located? Look for agencies ran by our people.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 6:37am On Feb 03, 2022
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

I need your assistance.

I moved to the UK last year November on Healthcare Visa. My family just got their Visa approved and planning to come in May or June.

My husband believes that he will only spend two weeks and return to Nigeria because he has some loan to pay back in Nigeria. He plans to work till December before he finally joins us.

The challenge I foresee is that I can't take care of 3children alone, considering their age bracket ( 12 and cool. I have been told that they can't allow anyone below 13yrs to stay alone at home

Because of his exposure, he can't afford to be sending us money for carer , I don't even know how much they will be collecting.. Aside, my salary might not be able to foot the bills.

My husband is of opinion that his mother should come around on tourist visa which I don't have problem with since she has been living with us in Nigeria for more than 10yrs.

Below are my questions.

1. What is implication of my husband decision to stay outside UK more than 6months

2. Is his decision capable of affecting us in future when we are to switch Visa status?

3. Is there any implication having the children to stay at home alone?

4. What is the possibility that my mother in law visa will be approved by ECo considering the fact that she is not earning income at moment. She only gets 15k monthly allowance from my husband.

Thank you

Hi,

I don't know much, but I am also in the same boat.

I have read thoroughly through the UK immigration rules, and I would want to believe that the bolded won't affect you as an individual. It would only affect your husband during his filing for ILR. If anyone else has another opinion, please help us digest this as this forum is a learning platform.

Thank you, UK Elders

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:43am On Feb 03, 2022
umarwy:

If by "our people" you mean Nigerians, and not perhaps Camerounians, Kenyans or South Africans, then I don't think that is a good idea, given all the horror stories we hear about Nigerian organisations in that industry.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 8:09am On Feb 03, 2022
Thank you for this info bro. i will surely apply asap then.

can i get more coroboration on this? Is it true i can apply right away without waiting for the 183 days?

i no won waste money oh!

MadeMen4Life:
I’m not sure you have to wait.

I came here January 2nd, last week I applied for a provisional drivers license online and I paid £34 after the completion of the online form, I was told a mail would be sent to my address.
I got back from school this afternoon and I met a mail by my door from DVLA with a form telling me to take a passport photo, attach my BRP to the form and send it to the address on the file it came with…
I will be doing that tomorrow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pijames: 8:11am On Feb 03, 2022
tushqueen:

Location doesn't matter, because i will transfer into pounds account
ok u will transfer first before I transfer to your naira account right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 8:12am On Feb 03, 2022
God bless you bro.

will do an indepth research on all this your expo asap.

thank you.

if you know any nigerian operating a healthcare home in wales, please let me know. i might still need a referee.

Lexusgs430:

Before you go, ensure you understand equipments used .......

Do you know what a hoist is, types of hoists + usage, sara steady, rota stand, can you interprete vital signs observations, can you recognise a deteriorating resident, can you do personal care, can you transfer residents safely, you fully understand manual handling etc etc etc

I don give you expo ........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 8:14am On Feb 03, 2022
boss am located in wales.

will be glad if you can link me with any of our people operating a healthcare homes around. i dont mind the distance.

thank you.

umarwy:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 8:25am On Feb 03, 2022
omopapa:
What’s your reason for the bolder if I may ask
They always want you to have paid UK experience, it takes longer to get you started with the job and it is not always a permanent job unlike meeting the manager directly .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iolo(m): 8:25am On Feb 03, 2022
ibk5891:
Thank you for this info bro. i will surely apply asap then.

can i get more coroboration on this? Is it true i can apply right away without waiting for the 183 days?

i no won waste money oh!

You can apply right away. The DVLA has a huge backlog at the moment so do it online and it’ll come with a few weeks, much faster than paper applications.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 8:35am On Feb 03, 2022
ibk5891:
Wow! Will try this then.

Just confidently tell the manager that you have experience from Nigeria ,then you start searching and watching YouTube videos on care home practices, once you have the form , quote me back on this post.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ibk5891(m): 8:40am On Feb 03, 2022
Bro do you have another idea? kindly share.

willing to take my chances.
TheGuyFromHR:

If by "our people" you mean Nigerians, and not perhaps Camerounians, Kenyans or South Africans, then I don't think that is a good idea, given all the horror stories we hear about Nigerian organisations in that industry.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 8:53am On Feb 03, 2022
Dear helpers on nairaland.
Please can someone help. what information should we include in our agreement letter as unmarried partners when our son applies for visa to join his father in the `UK.

apart from the mandatory evidence, what other evidence can I include please?
do I need a lawyer? my experience has taught me that lawyers don't come cheap.
please help me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 8:58am On Feb 03, 2022
Skip to step 2, ur target shld be that before 183 days you must have passed ur theory test
ibk5891:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:24am On Feb 03, 2022
You should be able to use your reference number to register for the DBS update service.
MadeMen4Life:
I didn’t have any letter, I only received an email stating my reference number and how to track it. That’s all I’ve gotten since
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:33am On Feb 03, 2022
Okay. I can see some jobs for swansea but no bank positions. You can try applying for them while searching for other jobs. I must warn you though - NHS is sometimes a tad difficult especially if they've got other candidates with NHS experience but it's doable.
You can try taking a walk round your area. Sometimes, job vacancies are posted in places where they're in your face. You might even meet the managers to speak with them - this works faster sometimes.
Also, use LinkedIn to your advantage. I know a few people who got jobs with their Naija experience via LinkedIn.
Use YouTube to help you understand the terminologies and what's required. Speak to people in the industry, they might be able to tell you something you don't already know.
ibk5891:
Located in wales. Swansea to be precise.
Applied for the NI already, expecting it in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inioge(f): 9:47am On Feb 03, 2022
[quote author=STENON post=109905647][/quote]

Thank you so much for your response and for finding time despite your very busy schedule.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:49am On Feb 03, 2022
BorisJohnson:
Dear helpers on nairaland.
Please can someone help. what information should we include in our agreement letter as unmarried partners when our son applies for visa to join his father in the `UK.

apart from the mandatory evidence, what other evidence can I include please?
do I need a lawyer? my experience has taught me that lawyers don't come cheap.
please help me

I know Boris Johnson has many children, I did not know he also had a Nigerian son ........... grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inioge(f): 9:51am On Feb 03, 2022
[quote author=STENON post=109905647][/quote]

Please, pgde in what area would you advice?

Kindly suggest an area that I can easily get a job after studies.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 10:00am On Feb 03, 2022
I just did now by following what you said and To God Be The Glory, it worked. I paid £13 and I can login and also see my profile.. Thank you BOSS..

Nairaland is really UNDERRATED… So many bags of information disseminated here on a daily is helping new people like us..
mimilyrics:
You should be able to use your reference number to register for the DBS update service.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 10:46am On Feb 03, 2022
Inioge:

Please, pgde in what area would you advice?

Kindly suggest an area that I can easily get a job after studies.
Since you have MSc in Childhood, I would suggest PGDEA Primary studies.
So that makes it possible to be able to teach the lower and upper primary school.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 11:10am On Feb 03, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
I just did now by following what you said and To God Be The Glory, it worked. I paid £13 and I can login and also see my profile.. Thank you BOSS..

Nairaland is really UNDERRATED… So many bags of information disseminated here on a daily is helping new people like us..

Be careful don't say it out too loud or Seun with start charging members subscription. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Generalwoodz(m): 11:45am On Feb 03, 2022
hustla:

How can I go about doing it myself?

Hey! I was searching for eBay account (US) then I found you. Do you have one ? I would pay **$ to list on it

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.