Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,046 members, 7,818,145 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179789 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by romney678mitt: 8:03pm On Jun 04, 2022
Viruses:

Like someone already suggested, seek professional advice. I suggest you use very clear and meaningful terms like wife, girlfriend. Terms like woman, partner, blurs the story and creates room for assumptions. Rest assured, since it's a problem, there's a solution. Worse case is you provide divorce certificate and marriage certificate.
thanks, as i am not legally married to my live in gf, will i be required to provide a divorce certificate for our separation? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sassy256(f): 9:18pm On Jun 04, 2022
romney678mitt:
thanks, as i am not legally married to my live in gf, will i be required to provide a divorce certificate for our separation? Thanks
Just seek legal advice from a proper immigration lawyer or an experienced agent so you don't burn your chances of bringing her over.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by abiiabby: 9:52pm On Jun 04, 2022
Hi,
I need Naira, anyone needs pounds? I’m looking for around 785 rate (slightly negotiable)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adegbitetunji(m): 9:56pm On Jun 04, 2022
abiiabby:
Hi,
I need Naira, anyone needs pounds? I’m looking for around 785 rate (slightly negotiable)

���
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 11:33pm On Jun 04, 2022
Make Una use mine to join me at Chase UK and both get £20. Get started: https://link.go.chase/emNK/refer?code=ekuR2vHb. T&Cs apply.
Lexusgs430:
Thank you to those who used my chase referral link, Nagode mo ku ...........

I have reached the maximum referral bonus limit (£400.00)..........

Using my chase link any further, would not give me any more incentives (kindly use other chase links posted).....

Thank you ........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 12:37am On Jun 05, 2022
Please a quick one,

My Nigeria Passport expires in Sept 2022, I intend to travel to Nigeria in August and return in the same August, do I have to be worried about the expiry date in Sept?

Anyone with similar experience should assist

I plan to renew during my visit to Nigeria or upon my return to the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:17am On Jun 05, 2022
abiiabby:
Hi,

Emefiele & Buhari must hear this ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Julianstical: 2:51am On Jun 05, 2022
Please how did you get your family registration certificate
Ray7878:

Congrats, which TLS branch did you have your done? My wife had her biometrics done on the 28th of January for a settlement Visa, standard appt at Ikeja.

Told it would take 60 working days, but we email them today, had a no decision yet, and might take longer due to the Ukrainian applying for UK visa lol. My wife is inpatient.

But I have told her settlement visas takes longer than others.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yemstico: 4:36am On Jun 05, 2022
IcecoldDon:
My online family, a wonderful day to you all. I feel so blessed and grateful for all the advice, knowledge, support and help i get from this platform directly and indirectly. My family ( wife and 3 kids) arrived safely to join me in the UK 2 weeks ago, and little by little, we have been acclimatizing and trying to settle down as a family. I have been here since October 2021, but based in Coventry as I am doing my Msc in Coventry University. But I rented a place in Birmingham as I preferred to settle there and my extended family (2 brothers) also live there. The whole process of 'japaing' with the entire family, the mental, physical, emotional and financial stress will be story for another day.

This post is to give accolades to all the elders and everyone who regularly give feedback, responses and information on this thread, which i believe might just be the last genuinely world-class level of goodness and humanity left for nigerians to nigerians who despite being strangers are so good and kind to each other. May God continually bless you on here. There are too many people to mention here who have been towering icons of knowledge and help, to both me and hundreds, requiring information for life changing decision, God will continuously richly bless and keep you and your families.

From my experience, and following the give back culture of the elders of this thread, these a a few of what i learnt that might help other people as well;
1. If a family plans to relocate, It helps a great deal if the husband or wife comes alone first, to try to settle things down in terms of accommodation especially, and other arrangements especially if 2 or more kids are involved. I know this isn't possible for all families, but from my personal experience it helps sooo much especially in terms of cutting down initial expenses and ensuring the best decisions are taking without too much pressure.....e.g kids in winter cold..arrrgh.
2. Try as much as possible that you have family or very close friends in your final destination town. The help of people already settled in a place can be invaluable in terms of all the help they can give. I can testify to this. My brothers saved me over and over, from helping me pick up household items that i bought, to helping me install beds and carry couches, standing as rent guarantor, to doing grocery shopping and helping me set up the house before my family arrived. As much as possible, base decisions on where you have a deep prior relationship, it is very very hard when you do not know anybody.
3. The couple should endeavor to save as much as possible, in terms of the partner in UK as well as the one back in Nigeria. Plans for selling properties and possessions should start early enough and be organized for maximum returns. We started a month early, itemized all the things we would sale in a excel table with predicted prices and actual prices to guide us. You will be surprised how much can be done with Jiji website as well as a page called Declutter, as long as you know how to navigate these platforms. Try to avoid selling or listing things to family and friends, you won't get good prices but rather gift them what you can spare and use social media to sell your stuff.
4. Use scale at home to weigh your luggage before going to the airport to avoid some boxes being rejected due to overload.
5. Utilize all the free websites available in UK and ebay used sections when you arrive. You will be amazed the good deals on offer if you are patient and know just where to look.

These are all i can quickly remember for now. I am fully settled now, done inspection for schools for my barely 6 year old(in 2 weeks) who will join Year1 in April for their third term, and my 3 year old who will be in nursery. We are trying to get a healthcare job for my wife while I try to round up my Msc program and and simultaneously look for a sponsored job ( I am construction project management in case anyone can refer...Lol), so I am just looking forward to the next chapter in my family's life.

Thank you all so much, sorry for the long long post, I am just so grateful to God and all of you...especially those that constantly responded to all my constant questions and inquiries here even when searching for accommodation etc. Lol. Long live this thread.

Hello! Thanks for your long lenghty message. It's really educative. Please is there a way I can get your email or mobile? I will be on Coventry next month and there are so many questions I want to ask about the place. Thank you.

My email is yemstico@gmail.com.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:13am On Jun 05, 2022
Julianstical:
Please how did you get your family registration certificate

I dont know what that is.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 5:16am On Jun 05, 2022
mamatwiny:

Add like 200 to your budget so that you can get an automatic car. Also make sure the engine is not big to avoid heavy fuel consumption and other taxes. If you are cost conscious don't buy above 1600cc engine, the lesser the more cost effective. It is not by body but by engine. I have seen a gulf with big engine and heavy consumption. The owner hear nwii and is saving up to buy another car and dump this one on another unfortunate owner.���
Than you so much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:19am On Jun 05, 2022
Juice191968:
Guys i just relocated to london. Can anyone help list nice areas where i can get accomodatin (i would prefer a place dominated by blacks/Nigerians)

Try Woolwich/Plumstead/Thamesmead.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 7:42am On Jun 05, 2022
Thank you for response. I will try out your advice

tshoboy:

Question might be best answered in student thread.
Are those people studying same course with you? If not, first confirm from your own course mates.
If still an issue, reach out to UKVI and they should issue new BRPs to you. Although you will have to pay for it. https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 7:55am On Jun 05, 2022
Sure, pobor55@gmail.com

yemstico:

Hello! Thanks for your long lenghty message. It's really educative. Please is there a way I can get your email or mobile? I will be on Coventry next month and there are so many questions I want to ask about the place. Thank you.

My email is yemstico@gmail.com.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:34am On Jun 05, 2022
AirBay:

Yes, but he's still married to the ex on his current status. So he has to divorce the ex first, marry his second wife and his children? He can backdate everything but the children cannot be backdated. undecided

There is still a way out though grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2022
romney678mitt:
Good evening guys, please i have an issue i am needing your advice on, i am presently in the uk as a student, before i came here i had earlier applied in 2019 for a visitor visa and i included my ex as my spouse, i thought we had a baby together not knowing the baby is not mine, we broke up in October 2019 and luckily i found love again and we have 2 kids now. I didnt want to mess up my applications while applying for this student visa so i left all the records like it was when i applied for the student visa, now a company is trying to change my visa to tier 2 care worker for me, please house can i bring my nee family after i get the tier 2 visa approved? I will appreciate your help and happy jubilee weekend

Did you select single when asked about your marital status?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by romney678mitt: 9:11am On Jun 05, 2022
justwise:

Did you select single when asked about your marital status?
i selected married and included her name because we were living together and was about to start marriage rites before things fell apart. I had submitted the application for the visit visa before we split
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:23am On Jun 05, 2022
romney678mitt:
i selected married and included her name because we were living together and was about to start marriage rites before things fell apart. I had submitted the application for the visit visa before we split

I'm referring to student visa application not visiting visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 12:22pm On Jun 05, 2022
Good day everyone, I've tried following this trend at least from December 2021 up till this moment.
The information here are amazing and it would save a whole lot of people coming in.
Kudos to everyone who has helped in one way or the other, I can't begin to mention names.

To my questions, I will be coming to the UK soon with wifey as a dependant(she got a job at Hull University Teaching Hospital, NHS), I've really not heard much talked about around the region, I would love people give information or ideas around living within the East Yorkshire.

What are the possible options for me in terms of work? I'm a Data Analyst and a Digital Marketer as well(I don't think I'm ready for this care job sha cheesy
Is it advisable to get a car or public transport is fine for a newbie(Not like funds dey oo grin grin)?

Concerning accommodation, I know where to look by now, but after seeing that most of the house utensils can be gotten for relatively cheap or next to nothing, is a furnished still the best option?

Concerning getting a car, can an MOT be transfered?, is Insurance and Road tax mutually exlusive(if the oyinbo correct cheesy)?

Should I get to clinch a job that comes with sponsorship, how do I go about it (I've applied for a PBS/partner visa hoping to hear from TLS soon) I go Port or not?

Is a bicycle tax free? Be like say this UK go tax person to any lenght(can a delivery job be gotten via bicycle or some sort).

A sizeable amount of tech job opportunities I see are in london(how do I navigate Provided madam go dey hull, it won't be easy doing two accommodations o).

Let me stop here for now.

Thanks in anticipation

Honourary mentions
Ticha( I hail o)
Lexusgs430 (Àgbà!!!)
Justwise(Mr No nonsense I see you)
Umarwy(Mr fast and Furious)
The Aboki Camps Nagode
The HR camps(Good afternoon Dear Senior Colleagues).
I tap out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mintyx(m): 12:35pm On Jun 05, 2022
Hello house, good morning.

Thanks all for the useful information here. While going through the page, I used someone's link to apply for Amex credit card and got approved for £4k and I'm just 3months in the UK.

I have a question though concerning pension. I came in via tier 2 sponsored visa and work with the NHS.
From the information I gathered here, it seems pension won't really be beneficial to me since I'm above 30 (and one needs to put in like 35 years to able to get full pension benefits)

Based on the info above, can I opt out of pension and invest the money myself? Also, if I opt out, are there "side effects" to opting out?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:42pm On Jun 05, 2022
mintyx:
Hello house, good morning.

Thanks all for the useful information here. While going through the page, I used someone's link to apply for Amex credit card and got approved for £4k and I'm just 3months in the UK.

I have a question though concerning pension. I came in via tier 2 sponsored visa and work with the NHS.
From the information I gathered here, it seems pension won't really be beneficial to me since I'm above 30 (and one needs to put in like 35 years to able to get full pension benefits)

Based on the info above, can I opt out of pension and invest the money myself? Also, if I opt out, are there "side effects" to opting out?

Opt into NHS pensions + invest in a SIPP portfolio ......

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 12:43pm On Jun 05, 2022
HondaLover:

Honourary mentions
Ticha( I hail o)
Lexusgs430 (Àgbà!!!) Ancestor
Justwise(Mr No nonsense I see you)

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:46pm On Jun 05, 2022
Hondalover - You are leading yourself unto a very long path of confusion..........

View your relocation, as resetting your life......... When you hit reset button, one take things slow and steady...... No rush lick soup wey hot, or else Honda go jam you ......... cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2022
Lexusgs430:
Hondalover - You are leading yourself unto a very long path of confusion..........

View your relocation, as resetting your life......... When you hit reset button, one take things slow and steady...... No rush lick soup wey hot, or else Honda go jam you ......... cheesy

It's okay, I will do just that, I just love to plan ahead.
But you know like the saying "you have a plan until you're landed the first punch"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:59pm On Jun 05, 2022
HondaLover:

Start by getting a bus pass, don't even think about vehicle ownership, until a few month's, after your eye don clear small........

Start by seeking employers, whilst still in Nigeria..... Last last, you go pour powder/foam for geriatric body ........ cheesy

Furnished is good, saves the initial expense.... But take pictures & videos (on day one)..........

MOT can be transfered to new owner, but road tax and insurance, CANNOT be transfered..... Remember, you must be fully licenced to drive on public roads......

Bicycle ownership is tax free, but you can insure it and yourself, against unforeseen circumstances.......

You can get a job delivering food items, via uber eats, just eats or deliveroo (demand for such, dropped drastically after the covid madness)......….

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:00pm On Jun 05, 2022
HondaLover:

It's okay, I will do just that, I just love to plan ahead.
But you know like the saying "you have a plan until you're landed the first punch"

No point punching, when your opponent is abstract.......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Khalifa99(m): 1:01pm On Jun 05, 2022
I see reasons why most of you say things like stay away from any Nigeria but I always think it can’t be that bad but what happened to me this morning made me understand that we Nigerians are truly our problems

I got a message in one of the groups I joined while I was processing my student visa
Saying he needs naira who has pounds
Sent a dm
We both agreed on a rate
And he said he needed 250 pounds
Spoke on the WhatsApp call,Came to a rate of 750 and he said it was okay by him

I sent my uk bank
He sent where he wants the naira

I credited him the naira of 182,500
Then gave him screenshot
I gave him 10mins
Sent him a message then called him
Told him what’s causing the delay he told me he needed 300 I said oh sorry I don’t have 300 you said only 250 and I have 250 only

He told me the reciever is having problems because he needs 300 not 250 pounds
He then told me to send extra fifty in naira currency before he can send the pounds to me

I told him I don’t have
Then I told him please send my naira back

Only for few mins to noticed he blocked me

Here is the number +234 702 525 2570
He calls himself mr REx

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by romney678mitt: 1:02pm On Jun 05, 2022
justwise:

I'm referring to student visa application not visiting visa
i filled married because that was what is on the profile and j didnt want to mess my application up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 1:03pm On Jun 05, 2022
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=113493171]

Thank you Ancestor.

Any idea about life in Hull?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2022
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=113493199]

Some martial Arts skills can be handy you know wink
An airbender kinda vibe
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2022
Khalifa99:
I see reasons why most of you say things like stay away from any Nigeria but I always think it can’t be that bad but what happened to me this morning made me understand that we Nigerians are truly our problems

I got a message in one of the groups I joined while I was processing my student visa
Saying he needs naira who has pounds
Sent a dm
We both agreed on a rate
And he said he needed 250 pounds
Spoke on the WhatsApp call,Came to a rate of 750 and he said it was okay by him

I sent my uk bank
He sent where he wants the naira

I credited him the naira of 182,500
Then gave him screenshot
I gave him 10mins
Sent him a message then called him
Told him what’s causing the delay he told me he needed 300 I said oh sorry I don’t have 300 you said only 250 and I have 250 only

He told me the reciever is having problems because he needs 300 not 250 pounds
He then told me to send extra fifty in naira currency before he can send the pounds to me

I told him I don’t have
Then I told him please send my naira back

Only for few mins to noticed he blocked me

Here is the number +234 702 525 2570
He calls himself mr REx

Sorry o ......You already paid school fees into scamming university........ Lesson learnt.......

You left this thread, to transact outside, embracing higher forex rates ........ Cheap things are expensive...... wink

NB : Connect with people in GT bank, report his/her activities........

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Khalifa99(m): 1:16pm On Jun 05, 2022
I looked him up on telegram also he blocked me

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.