Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191563 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beryour(m): 9:42pm On Oct 19, 2021
You will need to visit the schools and submit your interest, then also contact the council to obtain forms where you will be given options to select choices of schools and given one of them. Not a difficult process at all.

dexdex:
Hello everyone,

I will be heading to Wolverhampton with 2kids, 9 and 6 years old, please can anyone put me through on how I can enrol them to school by January? Do i have to pay fees for both of them?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 10:33pm On Oct 19, 2021
Open an American Express Rewards account and receive £20 as reward on approval of your application.

Please use my link (http://amex.co.uk/refer/dESMOEIGTHf?XLINK=MYCP)

Really great card and your three year address history can include an address outside the UK

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bishopkinkin: 10:51pm On Oct 19, 2021
Please guys, anyone who has a Dollar card or account here in the UK that Can help me make a Card payment of 100pounds for my hotel while I give you the pounds in Cash? My hotel does not accept Cash payment only card, and unfortunately my Providus bank Dom card has been declining. Please help a brother out. I have the Cash in pounds with me, I just need someone who can swipe with their card and then take the cash. Please in London.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 19, 2021
bishopkinkin:
Please guys, anyone who has a Dollar card or account here in the UK that Can help me make a Card payment of 100pounds for my hotel while I give you the pounds in Cash? My hotel does not accept Cash payment only card, and unfortunately my Providus bank Dom card has been declining. Please help a brother out. I have the Cash in pounds with me, I just need someone who can swipe with their card and then take the cash. Please in London.

Where in London?? Which area?

This doesn’t sound like an herculean task , i am sure someone in The hotel shud be able to help u as well

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 11:16pm On Oct 19, 2021
captainhoo:

Thank you but I saw different person, Is it the one in a group called learntor?

IMS

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bishopkinkin: 12:17am On Oct 20, 2021
Yeah you're right, but unfortunately there is none and the staff are not willing to accept cash from me. The Hotel is at Clarkenwell Rd.
Irenenwaka:

Where in London?? Which area?

This doesn’t sound like an herculean task , i am sure someone in The hotel shud be able to help u as well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:59am On Oct 20, 2021
bishopkinkin:

Try another hotel that would accept cash.......... Loads of hotels on clerkenwell rd.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 5:43am On Oct 20, 2021
For those looking to break into tech, you could follow teneika askew on twitter, she provides insight on the different pathways you can follow, and how each aligns with your skillset and personal attributes. It might not be mentorship but it sure is something.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oracleforce: 7:20am On Oct 20, 2021
Aphrodite007:

The UK get a job shortage now, why do you want to come to my side? cry

Really...
...Just came to the UK this month and have been searching for a care worker or any maniac job

Pls is there a student at Teesside University Middlesbrough or someone who can help me, with a Student part-time job...I need to work to be paying bills here...and to balance up my student life here
I have been applying for small jobs, no one has called yet....pls if you have direct contact with some of these organizations or you want to leave your small paying jobs to bigger one's, you can link me up....pls DM me thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bishopkinkin: 8:33am On Oct 20, 2021
The problem is I alreadybooked this hotel long ago via booking, but somethinghappened and I had to postpone my trip. Then booking said for the new date modification, there was an extra fee of 75$ to be paid on arrival... so I was okay thinking I can pay with cash. On gettingthere the hotel says they don'tdo cash only card. And it's too late to cancel my reservation, else I won'tget refund.
Lexusgs430:

Try another hotel that would accept cash.......... Loads of hotels on clerkenwell rd.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:13am On Oct 20, 2021
bishopkinkin:
The problem is I alreadybooked this hotel long ago via booking, but somethinghappened and I had to postpone my trip. Then booking said for the new date modification, there was an extra fee of 75$ to be paid on arrival... so I was okay thinking I can pay with cash. On gettingthere the hotel says they don'tdo cash only card. And it's too late to cancel my reservation, else I won'tget refund.
Have you tried paying using paypal or linking your card to paypal or Gpay?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by owenjegede: 10:14am On Oct 20, 2021
Use batter by flutterwave.

It's a virtual card. download it from app store on your phone, register with your bvn, and convert naira to dollars on the app so you can make payment.

bishopkinkin:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 20, 2021
bishopkinkin:
Yeah you're right, but unfortunately there is none and the staff are not willing to accept cash from me. The Hotel is at Clarkenwell Rd.

PM’d
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cana882(m): 10:56am On Oct 20, 2021
Please who knows someone in London that I can get pounds from?
I have naira in my account and it’s urgent please.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chomzy19(f): 11:15am On Oct 20, 2021
Anyone new in London looking for accommodation? I am looking to team up to rent a 2 or 3 bed. Both genders are welcomed. Send me a PM. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IjJudy(f): 11:21am On Oct 20, 2021
I am a woman O, please I need mentoring too.

I need help too. I just arrived last month, student visa, a PGC course in education. I decided not to go for MSc cos I have a UK MSc degree (a UK school overseas campus). Both my MSc and BSc are IT related and I have some IT experience too.

Which of these two is a better pathway to follow long term, IT or Education (teaching)?

Aphrodite007:

Are you a woman tongue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 11:41am On Oct 20, 2021
IjJudy:
I am a woman O, please I need mentoring too.

I need help too. I just arrived last month, student visa, a PGC course in education. I decided not to go for MSc cos I have a UK MSc degree (a UK school overseas campus). Both my MSc and BSc are IT related and I have some IT experience too.

Which of these two is a better pathway to follow long term, IT or Education (teaching)?

You could try teaching. I don’t know much about that. If you get bored of teaching and want to enter the industry again, you could do any certification you like, watch loads on videos on it and try your luck. There are loads of IT jobs, just pick the one that suits you the most

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 11:41am On Oct 20, 2021
Santa2:
For those looking to break into tech, you could follow teneika askew on twitter, she provides insight on the different pathways you can follow, and how each aligns with your skillset and personal attributes. It might not be mentorship but it sure is something.

This is fab. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 20, 2021
Chomzy19:
Anyone new in London looking for accommodation? I am looking to team up to rent a 2 or 3 bed. Both genders are welcomed. Send me a PM. Thanks.

I know someone actually…. Whats your budget ? And which area were u planning to search fr a property
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 11:43am On Oct 20, 2021
Oracleforce:

Really...
...Just came to the UK this month and have been searching for a care worker or any maniac job

Pls is there a student at Teesside University Middlesbrough or someone who can help me, with a Student part-time job...I need to work to be paying bills here...and to balance up my student life here
I have been applying for small jobs, no one has called yet....pls if you have direct contact with some of these organizations or you want to leave your small paying jobs to bigger one's, you can link me up....pls DM me thanks

It takes time to get a job, be patient ok. I didn’t get my job when I came as a student until November.. and most of my friends didn’t get until January.

Be patient and keep looking. Find your seniors who are Nigerians, make friends with them. They should guide you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2021
Aphrodite007:

This is fab. Thanks for sharing it.

@Aphrodite007 Madam this not for you naa. You already are an oracle in this area, A goddess for that matter cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 20, 2021
Santa2:

@Aphrodite007 Madam this not for you naa. You already are an oracle in this area, A goddess for that matter cheesy

Oracle, hahahaha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:25pm On Oct 20, 2021
Oracleforce:

Really...

Look for the Nigerian students that came in before you (jan start), make friends with some indians too, they usually are already doing these jobs and their referral is everything. Also you can apply for customer service roles(work from home) most are full-time, but there are part-time roles in some. use customer service rep/advisor as your search criteria on totaljobs. Prove to them that you have transferable skills in your interview and you should be fine. don't worry, something would come up soon.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bishopkinkin: 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
The Providus has two accounts associated with the Dom. One is for inflow the other for cash. I made a cash deposit before travelling, on getting here card didn't work, my bank says because the card is linked to the inflow account. Its only when I receive inflow I can use the card for any transactions
dustydee:

Have you tried paying using paypal or linking your card to paypal or Gpay?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bishopkinkin: 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
Responded
Irenenwaka:

PM’d
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Graiccy(f): 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
wink cheesy[color=#006600][/color]Am interested please
Aphrodite007:

I like to encourage women into tech and help them with their journey but because I do this for free, I’m not always available and don’t take too many people on. I just stand as support, someone to rub mind with, cheerlead and help plan career. There’s another lady that helps, I don’t believe she charges (she may), I got her permission to put her name here but I need to respect her privacy so I keep deleting it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 2:17pm On Oct 20, 2021
Santa2:
Problem is that we can't access Twitter from naija oo except we use vpn... having vpn on phone is like an exhibit with our killer and dubious police... police have continued their stop n search again oo.. more especially in festac and mile2 badagry road...... does teneika askew have maybe instagram or LinkedIn handle that would be easier for some of us...#ENDSARS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oracleforce: 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2021
Santa2:

Look for the Nigerian students that came in before you (jan start), make friends with some indians too, they usually are already doing these jobs and their referral is everything. Also you can apply for customer service roles(work from home) most are full-time, but there are part-time roles in some. use customer service rep/advisor as your search criteria on total jobs. Prove to them that you have transferable skills in your interview and you should be fine. don't worry, something would come up soon.

Thanks, bro.
I just came in last week..all my friends at the moment are new intake students.

Now, I will look out for my senior in the school. and ask them to show me the way...

Appreciate bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2021
Santa2:

Haha I was thanking you on other peoples behalf now grin I fit also dey find mentor or new career line grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2021
I should be in the UK by January and have been trying to brush myself up on my IT skills.
Since the day twitter was banned, i have been tweeting from the comfort of my home in Nigeria.
Launch your Twitter app, go to settings then proxy.
Fill the proxy and port just as in the image i sent and you will be back online. .

Thank me later.
jtech17:

Problem is that we can't access Twitter from naija oo except we use vpn... having vpn on phone is like an exhibit with our killer and dubious police... police have continued their stop n search again oo.. more especially in festac and mile2 badagry road...... does teneika askew have maybe instagram or LinkedIn handle that would be easier for some of us...#ENDSARS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 5:52pm On Oct 20, 2021
IamE:
I should be in the UK by January and have been trying to brush myself up on my IT skills.
Since the day twitter was banned, i have been tweeting from the comfort of my home in Nigeria.
Launch your Twitter app, go to settings then proxy.
Fill the proxy and port just as in the image i sent and you will be back online. .

Thank me later
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:36pm On Oct 20, 2021
DeeOneBangin:

If what you mean by residency is having a brp, then I have my brp. But the image below is saying otherwise
I at this point too, have not spent up to 1 year. Did you go ahead with the application? Any tips for me?

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.