Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (732) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176647 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 12:55pm On Nov 24, 2022
Hello house,

Once again, pls i need someone to guide me on how i can bring my mom to the UK for omugwo. Our due date is next month and she just got her passport. We came into the UK this year on a student visa. Wife (main applicant) in February and hubby in April. We intend to start the process this week as we want her to be there with us. Pls, what and what do i need. The process. Anyone that have successfully done this should pls reach out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2022
MichaelUde:

This has been thrashed out many times.
Which course you dey read - if na standard 9 months masters, your only holiday periods na your university's Easter and Christmas breaks and na then you fit work more than 20 hours a week.

Any other master's course length/undergraduate, ask your uni.

so can i work in summer?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 1:54pm On Nov 24, 2022
someone just told me that school meals has been extended to some categories of NRPF....might be worth exploring.... CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 24, 2022
lavida001:

so can i work in summer?

Are you doing a masters course?

If 'yes', then after the Christmas holidays and semester break, you can only work full time AFTER submitting your dissertation, whether that's during summer or after. From then on you can work full time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:38pm On Nov 24, 2022
koonbey:

Are you doing a masters course?

If 'yes', then after the Christmas holidays and semester break, you can only work full time AFTER submitting your dissertation, whether that's during summer or after. From then on you can work full time.

shocked

Even for 2 yr courses?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2022
Thanks bro, I will quickly grab it.
rayralph:

Brand new pixel 6a is £299 Black Friday deal

https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_6a?hl=en-GB&pli=1
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2022
hustla:

shocked

Even for 2 yr courses?

AFAIK it would only apply when you're writing your dissertation, so that'll be the end of the second year or whenever you're writing the dissertation. Therefore, you'd be free to work full time in summer of the first year.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:13pm On Nov 24, 2022
koonbey:

AFAIK it would only apply when you're writing your dissertation, so that'll be the end of the second year or whenever you're writing the dissertation. Therefore, you'd be free to work full time in summer of the first year.

Alright smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ahappygirl: 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2022
I gave birth last year march and my both parents came over. The process is actually straight forward. You'll apply for visitors visa for her and she'll be given 6months. When I applied for my parents, I didn't use my bank statement or payslips as my parents had money in their bank accounts so they just used their bank statements. Go to gov.uk website and start the process from there under visitor visa. Also remember not to indicate that your Mum is coming because of 'Child birth', you can say she's coming for holidays and to see you as she has not seen you in ....months. All the best!

igbsam:
Hello house,

Once again, pls i need someone to guide me on how i can bring my mom to the UK for omugwo. Our due date is next month and she just got her passport. We came into the UK this year on a student visa. Wife (main applicant) in February and hubby in April. We intend to start the process this week as we want her to be there with us. Pls, what and what do i need. The process. Anyone that have successfully done this should pls reach out.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 5:34pm On Nov 24, 2022
Ahappygirl:
I gave birth last year march and my both parents came over. The process is actually straight forward. You'll apply for visitors visa for her and she'll be given 6months. When I applied for my parents, I didn't use my bank statement or payslips as my parents had money in their bank accounts so they just used their bank statements. Go to gov.uk website and start the process from there under visitor visa. Also remember not to indicate that your Mum is coming because of 'Child birth', you can say she's coming for holidays and to see you as she has not seen you in ....months. All the best!

Thank you for your response, i really appreciate it. We are the ones sponsoring her and funding the trip. Do we need to use only my payslip or we need to have both payslip and bank statement. Because someone told us we can use just our payslip. And if we are to use bank statement as well, how much do we need to have in our account and at what duration should the money be in our account ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 6:37pm On Nov 24, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 6:42pm On Nov 24, 2022
Absolutely.

I'm interested in reading your serial job change story. grin

I'd like to think I'm a serial job changer as well. An employer once saw my CV and called me "a rolling stone" during the interview. He said he knew I'd leave them soon. Three months down the line I left. cool

Exploring new territories and roles is always exciting.

LagosismyHome:

I am a serial job changer....lol. story for another day but what you typed up has been my experience

As long as you have accrued it and there is enough team coverage, its not even a big deal or worth a second thought. No normal manager will be upset

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 7:48pm On Nov 24, 2022
UK net migration hit 504,000 in the year to June - the highest figure ever recorded, The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimates.

The rise is driven by people arriving legally from outside the EU and the resumption of post-pandemic travel.

Reception of Afghan and Ukrainian refugees and people from Hong Kong are other factors.

The government has promised to cut net migration - the difference between the numbers entering and leaving the UK.

Today's figures will intensify debates over the role of overseas workers into the UK economy and wider labour market - weeks after Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she wanted to resurrect a repeatedly missed government target to reduce net migration to below 100,000.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2022
Kindly feed us in. We'll love to know the update.
Chinlov:
someone just told me that school meals has been extended to some categories of NRPF ....might be worth exploring.... CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

In-between, Wolverhampton Council site has a great collation for NRPF
[url]win.wolverhampton.gov.uk/kb5/wolverhampton/directory/adult.page?adultchannel=1_7_3[/url]
semmyk:
[u]Infant free school meals in England
: www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals
... ...
nuanced differences btw Scotland and England
Scotland's School meal: www.mygov.scot/school-meals
... ...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 8:33pm On Nov 24, 2022
lightnlife:
UK net migration hit 504,000 in the year to June - the highest figure ever recorded, The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimates.

The rise is driven by people arriving legally from outside the EU and the resumption of post-pandemic travel.

Reception of Afghan and Ukrainian refugees and people from Hong Kong are other factors.

The government has promised to cut net migration - the difference between the numbers entering and leaving the UK.

Today's figures will intensify debates over the role of overseas workers into the UK economy and wider labour market - weeks after Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she wanted to resurrect a repeatedly missed government target to reduce net migration to below 100,000.

Alarming news for the Tories. Their base is having a collective meltdown as seen in the comments sections of the Telegraph and Daily Mail -this is not the Brexit most of them had in mind. Also highlights to the public that the number of boat arrivals is actually minor in comparison.

From the Telegraph:

Students account for biggest proportion
Students accounted for the biggest proportion at 277,000, nearly double the 143,000 who came to the UK in the year to June 2021.

The ONS suggested this could be partly due to students returning to their courses in the UK after studying remotely overseas during the pandemic.

It also said the increase could have been fuelled by the new graduate visa route encouraging more students to come to the UK because of the chance to work for up to three years after completing their studies...

Home Office ministers pressing for new curbs
However, it is understood that Home Office ministers are pressing No 10 on the need for measures to curb uneconomic legal migration in order to fulfil the Tories’ manifesto pledge.

These could include restrictions on the rights of students to bring in dependents, a crackdown on those who do not complete their courses but remain in the UK, and curbs on foreign students on "uneconomic" low-quality courses. The salary threshold for skilled workers could also be raised.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2022
OmichaelO:
hahaha, sorry it was a typo.

I meant to type I got it 350 pounds lesser.

It was 900
Hehe... I for don say...

Have you come across techinthebasket?

Used them before and their prices are difficult to beat. They get their products abroad so there might be regional differences and also less warranty coverage. Not that you'd likely need the warranty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 9:27pm On Nov 24, 2022
Ekehwinz:

I appreciate your response and would love to get your help in getting a response from someone in the care industry for me.

Would be worth asking on this thread. There'd be a few people in working in the industry

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2022
Does anyone know where one can source good and reasonably priced used compact PCs?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 10:08pm On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:
Does anyone know where one can source good and reasonably priced used compact PCs?
Backmarket.com

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:13pm On Nov 24, 2022
AgentXxx:
Well done Elders in house, Please what good phone can one get with 150 to 300£?

Brand new? Get yourself a Samsung Galaxy A13. The 4G version is £130. Great specs for such an affordable price
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 6:02am On Nov 25, 2022
Dear house many thanks for all your responses to my post about getting permission from my line manager to travel for my father in-law burial . I really appreciate your time and responses. I will surly speak to my line manager. Thank you all

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:17am On Nov 25, 2022
Check here https://www.mi.com/uk/product/redmi-10-2022/

AgentXxx:
Well done Elders in house, Please what good phone can one get with 150 to 300£?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by corpershun: 7:52am On Nov 25, 2022
lightnlife:
Absolutely.

I'm interested in reading your serial job change story. grin

I'd like to think I'm a serial job changer as well. An employer once saw my CV and called me "a rolling stone" during the interview. He said he knew I'd leave them soon. Three months down the line I left. cool

Exploring new territories and roles is always exciting.

I am equally interested too.
Mine is I get bored easily doing same routine job. Currently in the NHS as project support but I am bored but skeptical of how il be seen bouncing from job to job. Good thing I can use the expiration of my student visa as an excuse to leave.
But how do you communicate this to employers. I would love to know
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kaycee54321(m): 7:53am On Nov 25, 2022
Hello all.

My kid sis is looking at an offer of 29K for a job in Leeds. It'll be her first time leaving the country. Please, is that livable income in that area of the country?

I know even God cannot change her mind about leaving Naija but I just need to know if she's going to continue to need occasional financial help...

She was on 120K in Naija.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 8:40am On Nov 25, 2022
Derinde2223:
Hello everyone I am seeking advice please, I just finished my masters and have the option to apply for graduate visa but the company i work for now is offering me 3 years tier 2 visa but I am a bit worried because it is a small company owned by one person with staff of about 5 people myself included. I am worried because it is a small company and as it is one man business you can be dismissed at anytime I feel like there is no job security I could be wrong though. Do I stay on and apply for the tier 2 sponsorship? and be having high blood pressure every time if I could be fired and have to find a new sponsor within 3 months or do I go for graduate visa and know whatever happens at least it wont be 3 months to find a new job. What do you guys think please?

Also is it true that if you go on tier 2 you forfeit your graduate visa and can never apply for it again? cause I am thinking maybe I go for the tier 2 visa and if anything happens I can quickly apply for the graduate visa since I didn't break any immigration rules on my student visa.

Is it possible that this company can issue you a scale up visa? Explore this and see how that goes. With scale up, you only need to work with the company for 6 months. If somehow, something happens, you are covered.
Apologies if this is a repetition of another person's response, na now my own dawn break

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 25, 2022
Kaycee54321:
Hello all.

My kid sis is looking at an offer of 29K for a job in Leeds. It'll be her first time leaving the country. Please, is that livable income in that area of the country?

I know even God cannot change her mind about leaving Naija but I just need to know if she's going to continue to need occasional financial help...

She was on 120K in Naija.

She won’t need any financial help.

29 is eminently livable for a single person anywhere in the UK except maybe London, and Leeds is even on the cheaper (North) side. And compared to 120k in Naija? It’s like comparing sleep and death.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kaycee54321(m): 10:02am On Nov 25, 2022
koonbey:

She won’t need any financial help.

29 is eminently livable for a single personal anywhere in the UK except maybe London, and Leeds is even on the cheaper (North) side. And compared to 120k in Naija? It’s like comparing sleep and death.

Lol. Thanks so much. Now, I can rest assured.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:12am On Nov 25, 2022
Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
I changed jobs 3ce last year within the NHS with the 1st job starting in January and the 4th one in December - the 1st 3 were with the same Trust and department at 3 different bands while the 4th was with a different one at 1 band lower. Got 2 other offers and about 9 interview invites within the same week that I got the offer from the new Trust.

My manager at the new Trust told me that she didn't see me in the role after the 1st year because she felt that with my skills, I'd either be aiming higher or getting headhunted for other roles. By March this year (3 months at the new Trust), I had an unconditional offer 2 bands up from my previous Trust. At the same time, I also had another offer from my current Trust but in a different department. My current manager and I have discussed my prospects for other roles and I'm currently exploring training and 7.5-14-hour secondment opportunities in different departments with my manager's approval.

Once you know what you want, map out a plan for it. My manager knew all about my moves and was quite supportive but not all managers will be like that so you need to weigh your options on keeping or not keeping your manager in the loop.
You don't need an excuse to leave a job but ensure that you don't burn your bridges as you might need to drive over them again. I'd also say that you need to weigh your options vis-a-vis work visa sponsorship. If you go for a work-visa sponsorship, you might not be able to change jobs as many times as you want except you go for a scale-up visa.
corpershun:

I am equally interested too.
Mine is I get bored easily doing same routine job. Currently in the NHS as project support but I am bored but skeptical of how il be seen bouncing from job to job. Good thing I can use the expiration of my student visa as an excuse to leave.
But how do you communicate this to employers. I would love to know

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:20am On Nov 25, 2022
Can those working in NHS kindly give us hints on what to do differently to be invited for interview at least? With experience and qualification, na so so we don move on mail pesin dey get and it's really tiring.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:23am On Nov 25, 2022
Zahra29:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11465245/Net-migration-hits-record-high-official-statistics-reveal.html

Alarm bells all over the news....

Illegal immigrants probably made it that high

They should Sha wait small, lemme run my dependent stuff

Still think they'll remove post study for some courses or reduce number of dependents
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:00am On Nov 25, 2022
Solumtoya:

Brand new? Get yourself a Samsung Galaxy A13. The 4G version is £130. Great specs for such an affordable price

Nothing like a pixel

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:10am On Nov 25, 2022
Ensure that your supporting information covers the person specification and that you're able to sell yourself effectively. Also, previous experience with the NHS (as a volunteer or bank worker) helps - this is not always the case though. In some cases, if you can show that you have transferable skills helps to get you an interview spot. Also, contacting the number/email address on the job advert to ask questions and learn more about the job helps to learn more about how you fit into the role.
Not getting shortlisted doesn't always mean that your application is wack, there just might be other applicants with previous NHS experience that they would rather go with.

NHS shortlisting is blind; your name and demographic details are not shown to the people shortlisting. The only things visible at the shortlisting stage are your supporting information, education/training history, skills, job history
Keep applying and don't give up, you'll eventually get your foot in the door.
I can help look over your supporting information and you can always tweak it to fit different roles since most of the JDs are usually similar/generic.
babajeje123:
Can those working in NHS kindly give us hints on what to do differently to be invited for interview at least? With experience and qualification, na so so we don move on mail pesin dey get and it's really tiring.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.