Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (746) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1189668 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:15pm On Dec 03, 2022
corpershun:

Yes my line Mgr is really nice
She allowed me choose my days. Tho hinted she’ll love me to come in on days she worked.
Luckily I didn’t have to go to class any longer since it was only project left. I chose Mon - Wed

Make sense

Hopefully, I get a similar arrangement when the time comes or outright switch
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:18pm On Dec 03, 2022
corpershun:

The man said in Yoruba “you guys will just be picking shift, picking shift and not realize there’s more”
I held his words as gold.

Wish I can print, laminate and distribute this in my class

Almost as if people just forget to aim higher or think bigger than the present

Everyone will be fine Sha smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2022
hustla:

Comrade, don’t start please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wanney: 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2022
Hello All

Please I need help with remitting tax on self-employment, I have read the process on Gov UK but need professional help or advise with someone who understands how this works in the UK. Feel free to send me a message or respond to this post. Thanks in advance smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2022
hustla:

Hustla, be like say you like trouble grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2022
corpershun:

Oh wow…yes I remember you
Wow �
Thanks for the encouragement. I swear your advice was similar to a family friend that has been here 10years, so I thought you were an oldie�

The man said in Yoruba “you guys will just be picking shift, picking shift and not realize there’s more”
I held his words as gold.
At all, I’m a newbie here but I know what I want for myself. I’m so glad you listened to his advise smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2022
Make una no vex o

Abeg how dem dey bill water usage in this UK. I moved into a property in September 1st. I got a letter from United Utilises with a bill of 384 for August 31st, 22 to March 31st, 2023. This doesn't make sense. I have been trying to reach them to explain what's happening but not been able to speak with them. Maybe cos its weekend.

Someone pls enlighten me on how this works.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:28pm On Dec 03, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Hustla, be like say you like trouble grin grin

Ah how na sad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:28pm On Dec 03, 2022
kode12:

Comrade, don’t start please

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:43pm On Dec 03, 2022
Sheezybobby:
Hello All,
Good morning.

Please kindly help me out with this question.

I was given an admission (Data Analytics) to Study at Aston University, Birmingham. I will be resuming next year January.

My Question is:

1. Will I be able to get a job under Data Analysis Role considering I studied Compt Science in Nigeria, and I resigned earlier this month from the Role of (Sales-Analyst) in the company where I was working.

Kindly help me out with the percentage

I said I wouldn’t comment on any job related posts but I’d be doing a lot of people like you a disservice.

Pivoting from sales to Data Analytics is pretty straight forward, some companies like TikTok and Amadeus even call their Data Analysts - Sales Operations Analyst/Manager.

On indeed, there are a number of part time Data Analysts roles, offering remote working as well. Eg - https://uk.indeed.com/viewjob?from=appshareios&jk=220250a0ef0745df

Also, since you are a student, you should apply for this. They are actually looking for students (Bsc and MSc students) - https://uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=b96df3b510a25fee&from=serp

You can also create a profile on roleshare for part time gigs, a number of the big companies use them - https://www.roleshare.com

Also, I stumbled on this recently, should be helpful - https://www.instagram.com/p/ClOgM5KrbEV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If you don’t have the actual skills, there’s a guy on YouTube called Alex the Analyst, although I’m not a data analyst, I learnt how to use Tableau with his videos, he simplifies the process. He also has tutorials on Power Bi, SQL and more (see below) You should also follow him on LinkedIn!

Final advice is to tailor your CV and LinkedIn accordingly. If your CV is too diverse, might limit your chances of getting interviews. Your CV should be in line with the roles you are applying for.

I wish you all the best. May God cover you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDG5KiiOZcQ

25 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 6:07pm On Dec 03, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sheezybobby(m): 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I said I wouldn’t comment on any job related posts but I’d be doing a lot of people like you a disservice.

Pivoting from sales to Data Analysis is pretty straight forward, some companies like TikTok and Amadeus even call their Data Analysts - Sales Operations Analyst/Manager.

On indeed, there are a number of part time Data Analysts roles, offering remote working as well. Eg - https://uk.indeed.com/viewjob?from=appshareios&jk=220250a0ef0745df

Also, since you are a student, you should apply for this. They are actually looking for students (Bsc and MSc students) - https://uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=b96df3b510a25fee&from=serp

You can also create a profile on roleshare for part time gigs, a number of the big companies use them - https://www.roleshare.com

Also, I stumbled on this recently, should be helpful - https://www.instagram.com/p/ClOgM5KrbEV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If you don’t have the actual skills, there’s a guy on YouTube called Alex the Analyst, although I’m not a data analyst, I learnt how to use Tableau with his videos, he simplifies the process. He also has tutorials on Power Bi, SQL and more (see below) You should also follow him on LinkedIn!

Final advice is to tailor your CV and LinkedIn accordingly. If your CV is too diverse, might limit your chances of getting interviews. Your CV should be in line with the roles you are applying for.

I wish you all the best. May God cover you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDG5KiiOZcQ

Wow,

Thanks so much, Boss. Am really really grateful for your help

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2022
Lindakam:

Awww I loved your post and was just about to like it and then it disappeared. sad Please you shouldn’t let people’s “feelings“ stop you from sharing your husband’s success story because a lot of people need the encouragement.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:21pm On Dec 03, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Awww I loved your post and was just about to like it and then it disappeared. sad Please you shouldn’t let people’s “feelings“ stop you from sharing your husband’s success story because a lot of people need the encouragement.

Who stopped her from sharing her story? Did find out why she removed her post first before making false allegation?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:28pm On Dec 03, 2022
justwise:

Who stopped her from sharing her story? Did find out why she removed her post first before making false allegation?
I have zero interest in engaging with you please. Thanks smiley

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 7:34pm On Dec 03, 2022
Hello ancestors,

My wife's about to finish her study so we're planning to relocate to outside of London. I was planning west midlands, anywhere commutable to Birmingham city center, but my uncle is against it because we have no one there to help with our baby, this is because we normally drop her with his wife when our shift clashes.

More so, He advised we get sponsorship first before securing a house, but we really want to leave because we're currently living in a shared apartment and our neighbor is really crazy, I had to call the police on her last week. We can't wait that long as we're still looking out and london is out of it. I believe we should be able to get care or support worker sponsorship within Birmingham or anywhere close, (if anyone can help with plugs, I'd appreciate.)

Another challenge is the house thing, most agent insist because I'm not on full employment and my self employed isn't up to a year, they won't be able to proceed with me. Please, any tricks or ideas to bypass this will be appreciated.

We wish to move in before xmass.

Looking forward to your comments.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I have zero interest in engaging with you please. Thanks smiley

I do and i want to make sure that you don't leave people with the impression that her post was deleted by any mod.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:39pm On Dec 03, 2022
yolkman20:
Hello ancestors,

My wife's about to finish her study so we're planning to relocate to outside of London. I was planning west midlands, anywhere commutable to Birmingham city center, but my uncle is against it because we have no one there to help with our baby, this is because we normally drop her with his wife when our shift clashes.

More so, He advised we get sponsorship first before securing a house, but we really want to leave because we're currently living in a shared apartment and our neighbor is really crazy, I had to call the police on her last week. We can't wait that long as we're still looking out and london is out of it. I believe we should be able to get care or support worker sponsorship within Birmingham or anywhere close, (if anyone can help with plugs, I'd appreciate.)

Another challenge is the house thing, most agent insist because I'm not on full employment and my self employed isn't up to a year, they won't be able to proceed with me. Please, any tricks or ideas to bypass this will be appreciated.

We wish to move in before xmass.

Looking forward to your comments.

Your uncle can serve as a guarantor for you to secure the accommodation. The alternative would be paying rent over a long term, but I'd secure an employment before moving homes though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 9:22pm On Dec 03, 2022
kode12:

Your uncle can serve as a guarantor for you to secure the accommodation. The alternative would be paying rent over a long term, but I'd secure an employment before moving homes though.

thanks boss

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:54pm On Dec 03, 2022
Does any anyone know a platform to receive and send USD to a Nigerian USD account.

Wise has stopped sending USD to Nigeria. Chipper cash is trash with poor customer service. Send can't receive.

Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:36pm On Dec 03, 2022
lightnlife:
Does any anyone know a platform to receive and send USD to a Nigerian USD account.

Wise has stopped sending USD to Nigeria. Chipper cash is trash with poor customer service. Send can't receive.

Thanks in advance
World Remit - https://www.worldremit.com/en/full-calculator?amountfrom=100.00&transfer=bnk&selectto=ng&currencyto=usd&currencyfrom=usd&fromlite=true

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:41pm On Dec 03, 2022
justwise:

I do and i want to make sure that you don't leave people with the impression that her post was deleted by any mod.
I had to comment. There was absolutely nothing in her post where she suggested a mod deleted it. She only made her point and gave her opinion and not a "false allegation" as you stated. Indeed there is no evidence that some people will not take offence about her story or the way she put it. She shared her opinion and it should not be shut down.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 11:51pm On Dec 03, 2022
justwise:

I didn't see any of such impression in the post. I think you should chill a bit

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:58pm On Dec 03, 2022
dustydee:

I had to comment. There was absolutely nothing in her post where she suggested a mod deleted it. She only made her point and gave her opinion and not a "false allegation" as you stated. Indeed there is no evidence that some people will not take offence about her story or the way she put it. She shared her opinion and it should not be shut down.
Thank you so much! I was honestly confused at his claim because I’m not sure where I said a Mod deleted it when it was obvious the OP deleted it herself. In her initial post, she even put up a disclaimer saying she’s not talking down on anybody’s profession so she doesn’t offend anyone. He clearly has a problem with me. I try to be polite here but if my posts aggravate him then that’s on him and not me. Because I’m here to learn and also help as much as I can and he won’t bully me into silence because at this point, that’s what he’s trying to do.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chrisnwaa123: 12:40am On Dec 04, 2022
Yes, I can help you with that. send me a PM.

Charlena10:
Good afternoon, pls do anyone know or offer any guarantor service here? I need guarantor for accommodation and I can’t afford paying 6 months rent upfront
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 12:42am On Dec 04, 2022
Hi,

Thanks for your kind words. I didn't want to get anyone offended hence I had to delete the post... Thanks too for all you do on this platform. I take note of intelligent and helpful comments

Amarathripple0:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 1:24am On Dec 04, 2022
Thanks.

I've explored World Remit earlier but couldn't see the feature to receive funds on their app. Guess they're only into outflows. Plus Nigerian USD card isn't working on it.

Just did a trial transaction on Revolut USD account. Fingers crossed till next week. Thanks all the same.

Amarathripple0:

World Remit - https://www.worldremit.com/en/full-calculator?amountfrom=100.00&transfer=bnk&selectto=ng&currencyto=usd&currencyfrom=usd&fromlite=true

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 1:30am On Dec 04, 2022
If I receive money from a US company into my Revolut USD account will it be taxed by HMRC, as per it's linked to my NI?

Just finding ways to avoid the money being paid into my Nigerian USD account due to all the USD transfer and withdrawal wahala. Also trying to avoid the funds being taxed or poor exchange rate over the ATM.

Your insights will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 2:00am On Dec 04, 2022
Ogbaba123:
Hello senior women/men, please what are the pros and cons of an interest only mortgage? I have read about these difference but still not sure why any of the options should be picked over the other. Please can someone explain further the advantages and disadvantages of the different kinds of mortgage payments. Cheers!

Avoid interest only mortgages unless you're earning money from that house. That is the only time there is a pro for interest only because the repayments are lower and therefore makes your cash flow better. Actually, another pro will be if you already have the money and want to invest it, of course if you lose that money then you'll lose your home come crunch time.

For a property you live in, capital repayments all the way. It pays down the over all loan over the duration of the mortgage and the house belongs to you wholly when paid off. Of course, over the lifetime of the mortgage you can also borrow some of that capital back for other purposes which you often can't do with an interest only mortgage because the equity doesn't stack up as much.

If you take a loan of 75k and pay interest on it for 5,10, 15 years. At the end of that time, you still owe 75k which must be paid or you lose your home.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 6:38am On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
If I receive money from a US company into my Revolut USD account will it be taxed by HMRC, as per it's linked to my NI?

Just finding ways to avoid the money being paid into my Nigerian USD account due to all the USD transfer and withdrawal wahala. Also trying to avoid the funds being taxed or poor exchange rate over the ATM.

Your insights will be appreciated.

You should be able to transfer from your bank to any bank account internationally. I use HSBC and I have explored the option but never used it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:54am On Dec 04, 2022
dustydee:

I had to comment. [b}There was absolutely nothing in her post where she suggested a mod deleted it[/b]. She only made her point and gave her opinion and not a "false allegation" as you stated. Indeed there is no evidence that some people will not take offence about her story or the way she put it. She shared her opinion and it should not be shut down.

Please lets not pretend as if we don't know why the ..''people feelings'' comment was made. like i said i just want to make sure that nobody here will have the impression that the post was removed by the mod.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (743) (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.