Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (812) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176570 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) (815) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 12:03am On Jan 16, 2023
Well said!!. Countries with similar health service as UK are experiencing the same issue. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Ticha:

The stress levels for healthcare workers are the same everywhere. Canadians are complaining they can't GP appointments and can't even register with a GP as there is staff shortage and current staff are overworked

I can tell you that despite the high pay here, health professionals are also leaving. One of our ED wards in Wellington was closed due to staff shortage last week. Patients presenting at emergency dept have upto 14 hour waits to be triaged and I have been waiting to see a gynaecologist for 2 and half years here in NZ. At this point, I'm even happy to go see one anywhere. I'm having to pay privately to see one later this month and even that was a 6 week wait. All our nurses, Drs, surgeons are ethnic minorities as well from developing countries and they don't even make it easy for them to come in and practice unlike the UK

The grass is always greener on the other side till you get there o!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 1:00am On Jan 16, 2023
Hi guys
I came in on a spousal dependent visa and you know know you Have to look for sponsorship. We have a 4month baby hence I am the only only working for now. Wanna ask for your kind advice.
1.Should i consider bringing my mom to help (baby sit) looking at the cost for her to come so my wife can work as well or I should allow n my wife do the babysitting?

2. I have a job offer at a children school (stubborn children) though no sponsorship 400 pounds weekly excluding tax ( 8am-3pm) and I have a job offer as a Support Worker but there is sponsorship 375 pounds excluding tax. Which one do you think I should go for looking at one with a future though?

Please I need your honest advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 1:04am On Jan 16, 2023
Ticha:

The stress levels for healthcare workers are the same everywhere. Canadians are complaining they can't GP appointments and can't even register with a GP as there is staff shortage and current staff are overworked

I can tell you that despite the high pay here, health professionals are also leaving. One of our ED wards in Wellington was closed due to staff shortage last week. Patients presenting at emergency dept have upto 14 hour waits to be triaged and I have been waiting to see a gynaecologist for 2 and half years here in NZ. At this point, I'm even happy to go see one anywhere. I'm having to pay privately to see one later this month and even that was a 6 week wait. All our nurses, Drs, surgeons are ethnic minorities as well from developing countries and they don't even make it easy for them to come in and practice unlike the UK

I wish this post could get pinned at the top somewhere. Thank you for pointing out the realities of the other side. Even the US system is far from perfect because quality healthcare is unaffordable for a lot of people.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:43am On Jan 16, 2023
Bolded

pheranmie:
Hi guys
I came in on a spousal dependent visa and you know know you Have to look for sponsorship. We have a 4month baby hence I am the only only working for now. Wanna ask for your kind advice.
1.Should i consider bringing my mom to help (baby sit) looking at the cost for her to come so my wife can work as well or I should allow n my wife do the babysitting?

2. I have a job offer at a children school (stubborn children) though no sponsorship 400 pounds weekly excluding tax ( 8am-3pm) and I have a job offer as a Support Worker but there is sponsorship 375 pounds excluding tax. Which one do you think I should go for looking at one with a future though?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 16, 2023
pheranmie:
Hi guys

Take the support worker job. Clearly.

1. Sponsorship. This is only a key factor if you're happy doing this for the medium-term sha because I still advocate for people to find work in their fields. Still, having that will give you a lot more security.

2. 25 pounds per week is not worth having to deal with 'stubborn' children. From what I've heard normal children sef the issues plenty.

3. Flexibility. The support industry is very big and there's opportunity to do more (and I guess less) work depending on your needs.

4. Reduced visa fees, and not having to pay IHS fees.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:31am On Jan 16, 2023
JaySterling:
Hi, can someone please run me through the process of buying a land and building a house in the UK

Or is it not possible?

Very possible and cheaper than buying your house. You will need planning permission and every stage needs to be passed by building regulations, you will also need approval from the utility companies, legal and survey fees will be more expensive than the actual building. You can’t do Nigerian short cut or you will have to take it down. The bank will approve a loan for you based on the valuation on ground so you might have to be getting top ups with every stage.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:39am On Jan 16, 2023
hustla:

Check wakanow comrade

Read their reviews on trust pilot, I wish I did. I am now dragging them for my refund because flight times was changed. I had to go straight to the airline website to book my rebook flight. I would never use them again. Their customer service is mediocre.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:41am On Jan 16, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Wow ....... Where una dey see this money o...... I arrived Heathrow airport, with only one single £5 bill......

My journey was a story........... cheesy

How many centuries ago? grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:45am On Jan 16, 2023
Ticha:

Yes Ticha, we know there’s shortages of health workers around the world. SemmyK pointed out yesterday that most counties are battling survival and we agreed to that.

The issue is having (British) DR n Nurses from a developed country (UK) battling health worker shortage, resign and move to another developed country (Australia, Canada, US and it’s like) that is also struggling. And for what reason? Pay and better working conditions. This is the management issue I am talking about. Do you think a German or American doctor will resign to come work in the UK? Not one, not two, but it’s becoming a thing for British health workers. It’s normal for health workers in developing countries to run around the world looking for where to get better pay n treatment, but for home health workers from developed country to leave because of pay n move to another developed country is a shame. Let’s be honest.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:45am On Jan 16, 2023
phyl123:

How many centuries ago? grin grin grin

Not too long o ....... That £5 then, was equally as worthless now ............. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:54am On Jan 16, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Not too long o ....... That £5 then, was equally as worthless now ............. grin

I don’t think so, that £5 got you to where you are today. There used to be a time not too long ago you could fill up a Tesco grocery trolley with £5.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:01am On Jan 16, 2023
phyl123:

Read their reviews on trust pilot, I wish I did. I am now dragging them for my refund because flight times was changed. I had to go straight to the airline website to book my rebook flight. I would never use them again. Their customer service is mediocre.

Yes, it's best to book from the airline website directly

Waka now is to get an overview of prices across different airlines smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kolislankz(f): 10:27am On Jan 16, 2023
Hello guys, My wife came to the UK in September on a tier 4 visa and I came in later on a tier 2 visa. Can anyone help out with how I can change her visa to tier 2 dependent visa. And also if she'll be allowed to work 40hrs even while still school since she'll be on a tier 2 dependent visa.

I mentioned that I was married to her on my visa application too but selected No to Will they be travelling with you to the UK because she was already in the UK at that time.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kennyliga112: 10:59am On Jan 16, 2023
Chreze:

Yes Ticha, we know there’s shortages of health workers around the world. SemmyK pointed out yesterday that most counties are battling survival and we agreed to that.

The issue is having (British) DR n Nurses from a developed country (UK) battling health worker shortage, resign and move to another developed country (Australia, Canada, US and it’s like) that is also struggling. And for what reason? Pay and better working conditions. This is the management issue I am talking about. Do you think a German or American doctor will resign to come work in the UK? Not one, not two, but it’s becoming a thing for British health workers. It’s normal for health workers in developing countries to run around the world looking for where to get better pay n treatment, but for home health workers from developed country to leave because of pay n move to another developed country is a shame. Let’s be honest.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MelaninGemstone(f): 11:30am On Jan 16, 2023
Hi guys, I just got to London 2 days ago and I would be traveling to Newcastle in a few days (Northumbria University)

Please how can I book a train to Newcastle from London and which train station would I depart from ?

Do all the London Underground travel to other cities ?

Please advise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Foxie: 11:45am On Jan 16, 2023
Hello my UK people, I've got 10 litres of fresh palm oil from Delta (very good palm oil). I actually got 2 kegs and other foodstuffs, but due to the cost couriering them to the UK, my client could only take 1 keg. If anyone will be interested in getting it, you can chat me on WhatsApp: 07088846626. I can also send it across to you anywhere in the UK or help you deliver it to any of the courier service of your choice. Happy New Week!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:54am On Jan 16, 2023
Use google map to plan your journey. Very likely you will depart from London Euston. You can buy train tickets from National rail website or any train company website (Avanti, East midland train, etc)
MelaninGemstone:
Hi guys, I just got to London 2 days ago and I would be traveling to Newcastle in a few days (Northumbria University)

Please how can I book a train to Newcastle from London and which train station would I depart from ?

Please advise

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 11:54am On Jan 16, 2023
I always thought the Uni had ample accommodation for all categories of students including families unless there is a particular reason why you don't want their accommodation.

personally, I did the research and thought it was better to rent from them (in view of furnishing, stress of repairs, proximity to uni etc).

Like I said, unless you have other reasons to rent outside if not they have accommodation plenty.

Bukorlar10:
Good day seniors, I am a new student at the University of Leeds. Please I am in urgent need of an accommodation in Leeds. Please kindly help. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:57am On Jan 16, 2023
Just apply to change her to your dependant.
She can work unlimited hrs while on skilled worker dependant visa. The question is how one will manage 40hrs and still be going to school full time. One of the 2 will likely suffer or her mental/physical health will be hugely impacted.
Kolislankz:
Hello guys, My wife came to the UK in September on a tier 4 visa and I came in later on a tier 2 visa. Can anyone help out with how I can change her visa to tier 2 dependent visa. And also if she'll be allowed to work 40hrs even while still school since she'll be on a tier 2 dependent visa.

I mentioned that I was married to her on my visa application too but selected No to Will they be travelling with you to the UK because she was already in the UK at that time.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 12:02pm On Jan 16, 2023
Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter or Cardiff.

Which of these cities do you recommend I chose and why?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 12:31pm On Jan 16, 2023
I would take sponsorship and start counting down.

Bringing mum to me is better as that frees 2 of you to huzzle with peace of mind....if you can afford it

pheranmie:
Hi guys

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hyzich(m): 12:53pm On Jan 16, 2023
Hi guys,

Please is there any app where I can convert naira to apps or can I send an equivalent of £15 in naira to anyone here and get pounds .

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2023
heroshark:
I will be interviewing for a Graduate role that will be based in one of the following cities.

Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter or Cardiff.

Which of these cities do you recommend I chose and why?

Choose any of the cities, and I dont have any reasons
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2023
MelaninGemstone:

Please advise

Take the LNER train from London Kings Cross station.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jblesn(f): 1:05pm On Jan 16, 2023
LaXxOnebody:
I guess I've been lucky with my credit score. Its 572 and I'm just under 2 months in the country.

I opened 3 accounts and had a significant inflow of about £5k so I don't know if that helped.

How did you check your credit score? I have spent about two months in the country and i tried checking on clearscore but its saying nothing is coming up. I have a SIM contract and I have set up DD for my electricity bill
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 1:14pm On Jan 16, 2023
There is a direct train service from London King Cross Station to Newcastle using LNER. https://www.lner.co.uk/

dustydee:

MelaninGemstone:

Please advise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MelaninGemstone(f): 1:29pm On Jan 16, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you! Is the London Kings Cross station different from the Kings Cross London Underground
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MelaninGemstone(f): 1:30pm On Jan 16, 2023
DoubleN:
There is a direct train service from London King Cross Station to Newcastle using LNER. https://www.lner.co.uk/

Thank you so much

Please Is the London Kings Cross station different from the Kings Cross, London Underground
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by majorbravo: 1:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
Hi guys,

Asking for a friend,

For a first time traveller to UK? Does the UK require persons to travel from their country of nationality?
For example, if you apply for a UK visa from Nigeria, receive approval, and then for instance you travel to Ghana, can you travel from Ghana to UK directly or must return to country of application Nigeria before travelling to UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 2:01pm On Jan 16, 2023
hyzich:
Hi guys,

Please is there any app where I can convert naira to apps or can I send an equivalent of £15 in naira to anyone here and get pounds .

Thanks
You can convert naira to pounds on Lemonade. https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/Syg8
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:02pm On Jan 16, 2023
phyl123:

I don’t think so, that £5 got you to where you are today. There used to be a time not too long ago you could fill up a Tesco grocery trolley with £5.

That time, was before my time ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 2:04pm On Jan 16, 2023
MelaninGemstone:

Thank you! Is the London Kings Cross station different from the Kings Cross London Underground

The station is above the Kings cross underground.

(1) (2) (3) ... (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) (815) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.