Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,583 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (816) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176889 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (813) (814) (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:35am On Jan 18, 2023
Lemme try speak like Lexusgs430 ... The rule dey face you for front like face-me-I-face-you na
Ok, in my normal way
[Extract] www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/your-partner-and-children
If your partner or child is applying at a different time to you, they’ll only need to prove they have enough money to support themselves if they have been in the UK for less than 1 year.
- You've been in the UK on the Skilled Worker route, the applicable rule is in your attached.
- You child has been in the UK for ONE year. In your case, born in the UK.
NB: As I understand it, the ONE year is counted from day and month. It is not just year.
[Scenario]
Born in the UK 01 Mar 2022. Applying for dependent skilled worker visa on 19 Jan 2023: one year in the UK NOT satisfied
So, your child should have been born by 18 Jan 2022.

(PS: seems Tier 2 is here to stick for years to come! - Skilled Worker Visa)
NB: This is not a binding advisory as contemplated in law
Chijiuba:
Good morning gurus in the house, please I have a son that was born here in the UK last year and I want to apply for his dependent brp (tier2), please does the 28 rule of statement apply in his case (I have been in the UK for almost 2 years while he is just some months old) also my COS doesn't have maintenance for dependents

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chijiuba: 6:47am On Jan 18, 2023
semmyk:
Lemme try speak like Lexusgs430 ... The rule dey face you for front like face-me-I-face-you na
Ok, in my normal way
[Extract] www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/your-partner-and-children
If your partner or child is applying at a different time to you, they’ll only need to prove they have enough money to support themselves if they have been in the UK for less than 1 year.
- You've been in the UK on the Skilled Worker route, the applicable rule is in your attached.
- You child has been in the UK for ONE year. In your case, born in the UK.
NB: As I understand it, the ONE year is counted from day and month. It is not just year.
[Scenario]
Born in the UK 01 Mar 2022. Applying for dependent skilled worker visa on 19 Jan 2023: one year in the UK NOT satisfied
So, your child should have been born by 18 Jan 2022.

(PS: seems Tier 2 is here to stick for years to come! - Skilled Worker Visa)
NB: This is not a binding advisory as contemplated in law

Thanks for your response. But just a bit confused. My child isn't up to a year. He is 6 months old. Does that then mean I have to provide evidence of support (my statement-28 day rule) since he doesn't meet that condition of been in the UK for 1 year?

PS: sorry Skilled Worker Visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 7:48am On Jan 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you considered this person might simply supplement private pension with statutory pension payout ......... grin

Their employer might also be topping up ....... So you see, not so much recipe for poverty......... grin

Second paragraph or are we needing a trip to Specsavers? grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jblesn(f): 7:58am On Jan 18, 2023
LaXxOnebody:
I checked on my Lloyd's Bank app. It's the 2nd tab below your account balance on the home screen.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:00am On Jan 18, 2023
Yes, the information is clear and that’s what SemmyK is saying as well… Clear and concise. You have to show the evidence of support which is Kudi
Chijiuba:

Thanks for your response. But just a bit confused. My child isn't up to a year. He is 6 months old. Does that then mean I have to provide evidence of support (my statement-28 day rule) since he doesn't meet that condition of been in the UK for 1 year?

PS: sorry Skilled Worker Visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 8:11am On Jan 18, 2023
SOS! SOS! I am in a very big dilemma, I am trying to switch from student visa to scale up visa. I have the COS but whenever I enter the COS number, it says I should enter a valid COS number and won’t let me proceed any further. I then proceeded to click on apply without COS and then fill out the form. Can I use the apply without COS number and then upload the COS as part of supporting documents? Is this a safe way to go about it? I can’t risk a refusal and I have very few days left on my brp
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:24am On Jan 18, 2023
Peerielass:

Second paragraph or are we needing a trip to Specsavers? grin tongue

BVRO don catch me already....... Specsavers nah my second home............. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:45am On Jan 18, 2023
deybholar:
SOS! SOS! I am in a very big dilemma, I am trying to switch from student visa to scale up visa. I have the COS but whenever I enter the COS number, it says I should enter a valid COS number and won’t let me proceed any further. I then proceeded to click on apply without COS and then fill out the form. Can I use the apply without COS number and then upload the COS as part of supporting documents? Is this a safe way to go about it? I can’t risk a refusal and I have very few days left on my brp

Are you sure the COS is legit or it hasn't been cancelled?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Benwems(m): 9:49am On Jan 18, 2023
I would be coming to Swansea, Anyone that can house me for one week ? Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:43am On Jan 18, 2023
If in NHS, it's about 9.8%
Peerielass:

I know this is just a hypothetical case but I can’t just read and pass because this might actually be someone’s reality. Making a pension contribution of only 4.5% on a salary of £80K is a recipe for poverty in old age.

I would expect a minimum pension contribution of at least 10% in that income bracket. The more you pay into a pension pot either through your work place pension or a personal pension plan, the lesser the tax you pay to HM. Why pay that money to HM, when you can pay a large chunk of it into a pension plan and get tax relief. If in doubt, get a good accountant/tax consultant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rowon(m): 11:56am On Jan 18, 2023
Hi everyone , I need your candid advice. My wife just finished her exam in one of her course Sustainable Operation Management (SOM) in GCU , Scotland. She got 11/25 in her course work and the exam is 75marks. She needs 39 marks to get the pass mark of 50. Majority of her mate complaints of the time allocated to the exam and also the exam didn't mirror what was given in the mock. However because of her low mark in course work and the reasons given above , she is now considering to go for the option of 'Fit to Sit' and it has to me done within 48hrs of writing her exam . This will give her opportunity to write the exam fresh not as a resit . Please advise. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 1:03pm On Jan 18, 2023
deybholar:
Are u sure u r switching to scale-up or skilled worker visa?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 1:12pm On Jan 18, 2023
rowon:
Hi everyone , I need your candid advice. My wife just finished her exam in one of her course Sustainable Operation Management (SOM) in GCU , Scotland. She got 11/25 in her course work and the exam is 75marks. She needs 39 marks to get the pass mark of 50. Majority of her mate complaints of the time allocated to the exam and also the exam didn't mirror what was given in the mock. However because of her low mark in course work and the reasons given above , she is now considering to go for the option of 'Fit to Sit' and it has to me done within 48hrs of writing her exam . This will give her opportunity to write the exam fresh not as a resit . Please advise. Thanks

She will need at least medical evidence to back this up. Eg. Letter from a GP confirming she saw a doctor before she took the exam or she has underlying medical issues that affected her performance. She can also claim mental health grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2023
Daalu so!

thanks! I love this community die...

kingdred:

+234 701 697 4994
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Trajan(m): 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2023
Hello Friends,
Please, can anyone advise on how Hemlington, North Yorkshire is? Is it conducive for a family with young children?
Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 2:07pm On Jan 18, 2023
Please is it true that NHS COS is only for medical personnel and from band 5 upward? Got an offer with a trust but the hr told me that they can't sponsor whereas the advert stated they would sponsor. It's an IT role. Secondly, will I pay for ihs again if i want to switch from graduate visa to tier 2?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
babajeje123:
Please is it true that NHS COS is only for medical personnel and from band 5 upward? Got an offer with a trust but the hr told me that they can't sponsor whereas the advert stated they would sponsor. It's an IT role. Secondly, will I pay for ihs again if i want to switch from graduate visa to tier 2?

Boils down to each Trust and their policies but yes, generally, Band 5 is the benchmark. There's no law that mandates as such (apart from salary standards) so there are exceptions: I've seen Band 4 and even a couple of band 3 roles advertised with sponsorship possibility. The determining factor will be how desperate they are, ultimately.

In your case I'd say depending on how soon you need a sponsored role; maybe take that one and apply for others in a higher band with sponsorship. Alternative is to reject and find another now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2023
Hello my people ,i am stuck with some naira bill on me ,where can i change my naira to pounds in london ,any recommendation to a particular contact
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2023
What heating crisis...........

B & Q to the rescue........... cheesy

2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:03pm On Jan 18, 2023
Send it as registered post to your folks in Naija cheesy

jum33:
Hello my people ,i am stuck with some naira bill on me ,where can i change my naira to pounds in london ,any recommendation to a particular contact
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Blurpy: 7:03pm On Jan 18, 2023
Good evening all, I just arrived in Birmingham one week ago for my msc. I’m currently looking for job to keep soul and body together. I’ve been applying on indeed with no success. I’d need help with getting pointers and contact with agencies.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 10:19pm On Jan 18, 2023
Good evening Seniors,

Is there anyone here who can accommodate me and my wife for 7 days in Manchester. I'll be landing Manchester on Jan 31st.

P.S: I just need this accommodation for this period of time as we plan to embark on aggressive house hunting once we touch down Manchester. I don't mind paying something little for the gesture.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 10:54pm On Jan 18, 2023
Peerielass:

I know this is just a hypothetical case but I can’t just read and pass because this might actually be someone’s reality. Making a pension contribution of only 4.5% on a salary of £80K is a recipe for poverty in old age.

I would expect a minimum pension contribution of at least 10% in that income bracket. The more you pay into a pension pot either through your work place pension or a personal pension plan, the lesser the tax you pay to HM. Why pay that money to HM, when you can pay a large chunk of it into a pension plan and get tax relief. If in doubt, get a good accountant/tax consultant.
Good point ��
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:56pm On Jan 18, 2023
Seemly this belongs to the visa thread.
I'll normally not chip in on matter of this nature, what it's worth, I will. Hopefully, Justwise will see in-between the 'post'
By the way, I guess the OP is bent of singing the song during the next #testimony time!!! ... Wọnni ko s'aye loke, owa aye fún mi loke, O gbe ogo fún olẹ mi, iyanu lorukọ rẹ...

@OP, can you apply without COS #, yes you can. Should you, well, you shouldn't!!
To see the border line between #Grant or #Refuse, enter the 'mind' of the caseworker that will process the application. What was that movie again, enter the dragon...
Read up the guide at ... ... www.gov.uk/government/publications/scale-up-worker-caseworker-guidance/scale-up-worker-caseworker-guidance-accessible-version
Extract attached.

... Check, check, check the COS. [b]Verify, verify, verify [/b]the COS, YouKay Home office are like HMRC, they don't SMILE. Auntie Suella still desperately searching for ... She can't wait to hit the headlines, though Sunak doing a great job keeping her away!!!
deybholar:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 11:01pm On Jan 18, 2023
Do charity na like some of us have done wink
Or join the force to get Emefiele 'arrested' and handicapped. Me I no dey o.
jum33:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Myati: 11:30pm On Jan 18, 2023
mimilyrics:
If in NHS, it's about 9.8%

More like 12.5% on that salary.
tshoboy:

I assume 4.5% pension contribution

This calculation is more like 1.5% pension contribution. No way you'll be paying £165 monthly pension on 80k salary at 4.5% contribution.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by businessnow: 1:06am On Jan 19, 2023
Dear House Bosses and Elders:

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on this.

In Nigeria, I own an ICT company that has been in operation for 15 years.

In 2010, my company formed a partnership with a UK-based ICT firm, and we served as their Nigerian representative until early 2022, when the contract was terminated (the UK company moved into oil and gas).

We completed transactions totaling more than 600,000 GBP over the course of our 12-year partnership; all transactions, including international bank transfers, are documented.

This UK company arranged my first UK trip in 2013 for business meetings and training, and I have visited the UK more than 12 times since then for business meetings, training, and vacations.

Prior to moving to the UK with my family last year on a Tier 4 student visa, my wife the ( student), I was on my second two-year visit visa.

My company formed a new partnership with another UK-based ICT firm late last year.

Here's my question: is there any other type of visa I can or am qualified for besides the PSW (through wife Tier 4) and Tier 2 visas?

Please amiable senior nairalander, I need your input on this.

@Lexusgs430
@Mamatukwas
@dupyshoo
@koonbey
@Semmyk
@Hustla
@LagosismyHome
@Amarathripple0

Thank You.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by teeboi77: 1:18am On Jan 19, 2023
Link to get this please my oga...

6p to heat up the house? Oya drop update sir
Lexusgs430:
What heating crisis...........

B & Q to the rescue........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:29am On Jan 19, 2023
Entrepreneur visa appears to be close to what you should look at but you would need to have an investment of £50k on grand cheesy

Another option is the Global tech talent visa and company relocation visa (or something close to that)

businessnow:
Dear House Bosses and Elders:

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on this.

In Nigeria, I own an ICT company that has been in operation for 15 years.

In 2010, my company formed a partnership with a UK-based ICT firm, and we served as their Nigerian representative until early 2022, when the contract was terminated (the UK company moved into oil and gas).

We completed transactions totaling more than 600,000 GBP over the course of our 12-year partnership; all transactions, including international bank transfers, are documented.

This UK company arranged my first UK trip in 2013 for business meetings and training, and I have visited the UK more than 12 times since then for business meetings, training, and vacations.

Prior to moving to the UK with my family last year on a Tier 4 student visa, my wife the ( student), I was on my second two-year visit visa.

My company formed a new partnership with another UK-based ICT firm late last year.

Here's my question: is there any other type of visa I can or am qualified for besides the PSW (through wife Tier 4) and Tier 2 visas?

@Lexusgs430
@Mamatukwas
@dupyshoo
@koonbey
@Semmyk
@Hustla
@LagosismyHome
@Amarathripple0

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:31am On Jan 19, 2023
Look for airbnb to stay in cos this search is not an easy thing ooo and na winter we de so... cost of living thingz cheesy

Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
Good evening Seniors,

Is there anyone here who can accommodate me and my wife for 7 days in Manchester. I'll be landing Manchester on Jan 31st.

P.S: I just need this accommodation for this period of time as we plan to embark on aggressive house hunting once we touch down Manchester. I don't mind paying something little for the gesture.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:53am On Jan 19, 2023
teeboi77:
Link to get this please my oga...

6p to heat up the house? Oya drop update sir

UK people don buy am finish........ Those that have stock, as usual........ Inflated their prices .......... cheesy

Amazon got some for sale @ £42........ (seems Amazon too sold out ).......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:31am On Jan 19, 2023
Scanning through, you should, on face value, be a prime candidate for Global Talent Visa (Digital Technology)
- www.gov.uk/global-talent-digital-technology
Your solutions and/or products development in the last five years will be of importance though.
Alternatively, as last resort, explore the start-up visa route.
NB: this is totally different from scale up visa
NB: it is non renewable and doesn't count towards ILR
The Global Talent however counts towards ILR (3 or 5 yrs!!!) and you can even be an entrepreneur!!! (AKA self-employed)

You may want to engage the folks at Bincom. They are in the UK and 9ja. - https://blog.bincom.net/emigr8/
Incidentally, they just had an open session yester night.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BincomDevcenter/status/1615755685194498049
[Disclosure] I'm related to one of the founders.
businessnow:
... ... In Nigeria, I own an ICT company that has been in operation for 15 years.
... ...
[UPDATED]
Noticed Bigtt76 has already suggested Global Talent. Though still referred to as Global Tech talent visa, the current official reference is Global Talent Visa. You have the Digital Technology route (as suggested and applicable in your case). There are also the Academic/Researcher route (which I've posted on last year) and there's the Arts and Culture route (seemly not the option for you).
NB: the Entrepreneur visa route is closed to new applicant. However, you may want to explore the Innovator visa route (the successor to Entrepreneur visa)
So, if you've got £50k in the kitty, you're good to go for Innovator visa. You just need to come up with a biz idea and get endorsed.
PS: not sure. Alternatively , you might become a financial partner to your current UK collaborator as a full fledged Director in good standing.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (813) (814) (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.