Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (821) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179949 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) (823) (824) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:19am On Jan 23, 2023
Yes. As long as an application is submitted before your visa expires, it doesn't matter when your biometrics appointment is except for delays wich might mean being unable to change jobs and any other applicatble ish.
ayrton03:
Is it okay to book my biometric capture appointment the same day my visa is expiring? I got my COS two weeks to the expiration of my tier4 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mayowa94: 11:45am On Jan 23, 2023
Please who is residing in Northampton here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
Ancestors, I say make I ask una say e go dey possible for me to do two full time jobs at the same time? I have two job offers and I've accepted both, I have no restrictions as to how many hours I can work. One is hybrid and the other one is fully remote but I'm just wondering if it's ethically sound to do so. Is there anyone who has held two full time jobs, how did you go about navigating both of them? Or make I just forget one of them. I dey confused make I no lie.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adebabs009: 12:49pm On Jan 23, 2023
I am Interested.
Lexusgs430:
For we IPTV lovers....... I have fully tested and settled ......

This package get full DSTV + over 18,589 other channels.

You don't need a firestick (if your TV is on the Android platform)..... All for $24 per annum...... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
Ancestors, I say make I ask una say e go dey possible for me to do two full time jobs at the same time? I have two job offers and I've accepted both, I have no restrictions as to how many hours I can work. One is hybrid and the other one is fully remote but I'm just wondering if it's ethically sound to do so. Is there anyone who has held two full time jobs, how did you go about navigating both of them? Or make I just forget one of them. I dey confused make I no lie.

2000%...... You can do both ........ Just ensure you keep your mouth shut and don't brag about it to your colleagues ...........🤣

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 1:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Very possible but extremely risky with dire consequences if found out.

For the hybrid role, how many days are you expected in the office a week/month?

The company I work for recently caught some people shuttling two jobs and it was instant dismissal and there were talks of adding their names to CIFAS for employment fraud lipsrsealed undecided

https://www.cifas.org.uk/fraud-prevention-community/member-benefits/data/ifd

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midasfx(m): 1:46pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

2000%...... You can do both ........ Just ensure you keep your mouth shut and don't brag about it to your colleagues ...........🤣

From a tax perspective, I assume you wouldn't use the same tax code? If so, doesn't that increase the risk of being found out?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Abiodunnn(f): 1:51pm On Jan 23, 2023
Hello people,

I’m trying to pay for my baby’s Nigerian passport but it’s asking for NIN. Considering he was born here and so he doesn’t have a Nigerian NIN. What do we to bypass that please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

🤣🤣Bros you know it’s unethical - no dey play na.

Legally, theoretically, nothing stops you from working a second job, as long as you’re not violating the terms of either contract. In practice, you probably will be since most contracts state that you must work with them exclusively as a full time worker. Violating that leaves you open to dismissal (definitely), claims for damages (unlikely) and even criminal fraud charges for claiming payment for hours you didn’t work. There was a Canadian case a couple of weeks ago - look it up online.

Exception: skilled worker visa. You’re barred from working more than 20 hours in a second job unless you’re sponsored by that other job.

Ultimately, think very carefully about what will happen if you get caught and then need a reference at some point in the future. Also, isn’t there a way working multiple jobs reflects on your tax code or something?

It’s a very bad idea, in sum. I’d say that you should focus on getting freelance work on the side to earn more. The risks outweigh the benefits here, but then high risk = high reward so feel free to do it. Sha give us updates o eventually make other people learn 😉.

**Opinion. Not legal advice**

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 2:02pm On Jan 23, 2023
Abiodunnn:
Hello people,

I’m trying to pay for my baby’s Nigerian passport but it’s asking for NIN. Considering he was born here and so he doesn’t have a Nigerian NIN. What do we to bypass that please?

It is unbypassable. Google nin registration centers in the UK. There are several people/companies doing the it in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2023
midasfx:

From a tax perspective, I assume you wouldn't use the same tax code? If so, doesn't that increase the risk of being found out?

Your tax code would obviously not be the same, your second job could be taxed at over 20%, in some cases 40% (depending on income) ........😭😭😭😭

Been a dog walker at the weekends, is also another job ......... If you don't gerrit, forget about it .......😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:32pm On Jan 23, 2023
Ralphlauren:

The company I work for recently caught some people shuttling two jobs and it was instant dismissal and there were talks of adding their names to CIFAS for employment fraud lipsrsealed undecided

They must have bragged about their extra income.......

Doing 2 jobs, no be new thing nah ......... 😂

CIFAS ke ...... When no be credit fraud........🙂

Don't you want him to finish building that house in Oshogbo...........🤣😂

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

CIFAS ke ...... When no be credit fraud........🙂

Don't you want him to finish building that house in Oshogbo...........🤣😂

CIFAS has a database specifically for fraudulent employees. I'd be willing to bet that OP will end up there if he takes both jobs without disclosure. The potential for clashes are way too much and employers are very antsy about this issue these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the jobs uses employee monitoring software sef.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
koonbey:

CIFAS has a database specifically for fraudulent employees. I'd be willing to bet that OP will end up there if he takes both jobs without disclosure. The potential for clashes are way too much and employers are very antsy about this issue these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the jobs uses employee monitoring software sef.

Then for don add me for CIFAS database, many times over be dat ........ Times are changing rapidly.........🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
Ralphlauren:

For the Hybrid role, it's twice a week but what if one of the roles is a Fixed Term Contract? would that still be illegal/unethical ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2023
koonbey:

🤣🤣Bros you know it’s unethical - no dey play na.

Legally, theoretically, nothing stops you from working a second job, as long as you’re not violating the terms of either contract. In practice, you probably will be since most contracts state that you must work with them exclusively as a full time worker. Violating that leaves you open to dismissal (definitely), claims for damages (unlikely) and even criminal fraud charges for claiming payment for hours you didn’t work. There was a Canadian case a couple of weeks ago - look it up online.

Exception: skilled worker visa. You’re barred from working more than 20 hours in a second job unless you’re sponsored by that other job.

Ultimately, think very carefully about what will happen if you get caught and then need a reference at some point in the future. Also, isn’t there a way working multiple jobs reflects on your tax code or something?

It’s a very bad idea, in sum. I’d say that you should focus on getting freelance work on the side to earn more. The risks outweigh the benefits here, but then high risk = high reward so feel free to do it. Sha give us updates o eventually make other people learn 😉.

Guy I know Lol but both offer too sweet. I just realised that one is a Fixed Term contract, would that still be bad?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2023
How many hours do you have to work at each? Are you to simultaneously work 9-5 Mondays to Fridays at both jobs or any other time periods that overlap? If yes, that spells big trouble when caught as it is fraud.
The type of contract doesn't matter, it is the hours of work that come into play.
If your work hours don't overlap, then it shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't go against the conditions of your visa eg. skilled worker visa.
kwakudtraveller:

Guy I know Lol but both offer too sweet. I just realised that one is a Fixed Term contract, would that still be bad?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Thank you baba. Na who get friends as colleagues dey talk Lol. But I'll ask one of the employers, the one whose offer was changed to a FTC when they saw that my BRP has an end date.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2023
koonbey:

Thanks for confirming grin

Lexusgs430:

Then for don add me for CIFAS database, many times over be dat ........ Times are changing rapidly.........🤣

You are old skool. Time to upgrade to a tesla grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2023
mimilyrics:
How many hours do you have to work at each? Are to work 9-5 Mondays to Friday or any other time periods that overlap? If yes, that spells big trouble when caught as it is fraud.
It's the same hours, 37.5 hours per week. Thank you my sister.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

For the Hybrid role, it's twice a week but what if one of the roles is a Fixed Term Contract? would that still be illegal/unethical ?

Lol. How will you explain your twice weekly absence at the other role? Or you think managers are stupid and won't notice the pattern? grin

Its only legal if you declare to both parties and they give you permission to work at both jobs and there are no conflict of interest.

Getting such permission will be almost impossible. Besides you need to explain to them how you intend to juggle two full-time 9-5 jobs at the same time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:58pm On Jan 23, 2023
Ralphlauren:

Lol. How will you explain your twice weekly absence at the other role? Or you think managers are stupid and won't notice the pattern? grin
One is fully remote and one is hybrid. Twice a week in the office so I can work anywhere for the other job but I think I'll free the idea. But how do people work full time and still do contract roles, is it not the same thing?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

One is fully remote and one is hybrid. Twice a week in the office so I can work anywhere for the other job but I think I'll free the idea. But how do people work full time and still do contract roles, is it not the same thing?

Difference is contracts are often based on deliverables, such that you can do the work on weekends or evening/night and send in what you need to on time.

Once it's a situation where you're being paid to be 'on seat' at specific times and you're getting paid for the same time by multiple employers, it's definitely a contractual violation, and very likely fraud, too.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2023
It might not work as there will be some sort of overlap since you have to do 37. 5 hours each week except you work 2 days at 1 and 3 days at the other but doing this means that you will have to use the work time for 1 job at the other job which is technically fraud. If you worked 37.5 hours at 1 and maybe 20 hours at the other, the overlap can be eradicated but 37.5 * 2 is highly risky.

See an example of what can happen below:
https://cfa.nhs.uk/about-nhscfa/latest-news/NHS-finance-chief-sentenced-for-triple-job-fraud
https://www.tiaa.co.uk/blog/remote-employees-working-two-jobs/
https://www.miaa.nhs.uk/how-to-mitigate-working-from-home-fraud-risks/

You didn't specify if you have to work at exactly the same times or different times eg. morning vs night work times so my assumption is that they are both Monday to Friday, 9-5 jobs.

Also, see WTD link below to know if it applies to you. This is to prevent staff burn out and create a health work-life balance.
https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

For WTD, when you opt-out, some employers who this applies to will not allow you work over 60 hours as the system is set to automatically reject unhealthy work patterns.
kwakudtraveller:

It's the same hours, 37.5 hours per week. Thank you my sister.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 4:13pm On Jan 23, 2023
mimilyrics:
It might not work as there will be some sort of overlap since you have to do 37. 5 hours each week except you work 2 days at 1 and 3 days at the other but doing this means that you will have to use the work time fro 1 job at the other job which is technically fraud. If you worked 37.5 hours at 1 and maybe 20 hours at the other, the overlap can be eradicated but 37.5 * 2 is highly risky.
See an example of what can happen below:
https://cfa.nhs.uk/about-nhscfa/latest-news/NHS-finance-chief-sentenced-for-triple-job-fraud
https://www.tiaa.co.uk/blog/remote-employees-working-two-jobs/
https://www.miaa.nhs.uk/how-to-mitigate-working-from-home-fraud-risks/
You didn't specify if you have to work at exactly the same times or different times eg. morning vs night work times.
Also, see WTD link below to know if it applies to you.
https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

@Ralphlauren @Koonbey @mimilyrics Thank you very much. I'll just turn down one of them, making money is not that serious. I'm happy I asked on this platform. I so much appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:05pm On Jan 23, 2023
You might need to go capture for your child or contact the HC on the way out.

Abiodunnn:
Hello people,

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:10pm On Jan 23, 2023
Have you tried getting one of the employers to convert one of the jobs to contract? That may be acceptable

kwakudtraveller:

Thank you baba. Na who get friends as colleagues dey talk Lol. But I'll ask one of the employers, the one whose offer was changed to a FTC when they saw that my BRP has an end date.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:22pm On Jan 23, 2023
Review your past and present situation... What has changed?

1. Did you miss a direct debit payment?
2. Did you move homes?
3. Did you over utilise your credit limit? 25% or more?

Something must have changed to cause this.

Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors in the house, pls help me understand.I registered with clearscore last month to check my score and all was well until last week when I got an email that my score had dropped by 140 points without any hard search to get any credit card or loans.

Pls help me understand what dropped the score as 140 is not a small score ooo

TIA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 5:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
In my view, you've received well articulated feedbacks. Each comes with its reasoning.
Bit of add-on.
For the FTC, you might want to explore with them flexible work arrangement. Perhaps along the line of flexible work hours based on deliverables (technically, this converts you to contracting. Sort of outside IR35). Kindly note FTC doesn't automatically implies contracting.
Legally, @Koonbey already articulated. If you're on Skilled Worker visa, you'll be breaching your visa.
Also, legally, employment are within Labour law, which falls under Civil. Hence, disputes between you and employer will not be in the trial court #criminal
Ethically, you are bound by non-maleficence (no harm) and beneficence (do good). By the way, that is broad!

kwakudtraveller:
... ... I'm just wondering if it's ethically sound to do so. Is there anyone who has held two full time jobs, how did you go about navigating both of them? ...
kwakudtraveller:
One is fully remote and one is hybrid. ... But how do people work full time and still do contract roles, is it not the same thing?
kwakudtraveller:
... I just realised that one is a Fixed Term contract, would that still be bad?
koonbey:
... ...
Legally, theoretically, nothing stops you from working a second job, as long as you’re not violating the terms of either contract. In practice, you probably will be ... ...

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:10pm On Jan 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Yup
... And dont update it on LinkedIn.. Wondering how you'll manage the hybrid one though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 7:11pm On Jan 23, 2023
Abeg anyone with American express referral link?

Want a relative in the UK to apply to build credit

(1) (2) (3) ... (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) (823) (824) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.