Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (934) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1190914 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (931) (932) (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 7:41pm On Apr 12, 2023
Phayie:

If you earn 18k with 19hrs, then why do you need to work extra hour

I don't work earn 18k and I don't work extra hours. I'm just telling the OP that it's possible to earn over 12k without working extra hours. A friend got a offer of £37k but since he is still a student they offered him part-time equivalent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by alongetayo: 8:35pm On Apr 12, 2023
Preshyi:
https://possap.gov.ng

Fill the form
Make payment (30k)
A mail will be sent with the biometrics form
Fill and thumbprint
Scan Back
Request approved
Certificate available for download on the portal

The only thing that took my time was getting a stamp pad for fingerprinting. I literally got the certificate in 3days, I was so impressed at how seamless and superfast it was. A police officer I contacted was telling me 45k plus DHL waybill to the UK, God pass them!!!

Thanks a bunch. I have received the biometrics form. Na stamp pad remain now! 😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 9:16pm On Apr 12, 2023
Strata1716:
Good morning everyone,

please my friend unfortunately had to work more than 20 hours because the bills were too much and he’s also the first child of the family so he had to pay siblings school fees and take care of his family back home in Nigeria.

He only started Working 34 hours after lectures was over and they were writing dissertation as he had exhausted every savings so needed money badly, It’s time for psw but he’s scared of doing the Visa because he doesn’t want to be caught and deported.

I’ve told him to try his luck and see what happens but he’s saying he doesn’t want to risk it, please is there any way for him to explain to the VO maybe in a cover letter or something else why he had to work those hours,

is it a bit better that he started working past 20 hours after lectures but during dissertation writing, can he also get a care sponsorship job as it is 2 months before the expiration of his visa and he’s been trying for weeks to get a care job but no luck.

Please don’t ignore as all advise are welcomed and my friend is very depressed now, we are trying to help but scared he might unalive himself because the financial pressure of going back to Nigeria might be too much.

Most people I know flouted that rule, he should not be afraid. People who worked over 2ohours and those who worked 34hours both committed same sin. I never heard any rejection except the ones that went viral on line and one or two from here. But he should tell his family to also pray for him. He knew what

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 9:18pm On Apr 12, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Your friend already knows his application would be refused and deportation would be the only answer (even if angels from heaven, writes an extenuating letter to UKBA)........

Why would a student in the UK (on restricted working visa, be paying fees for people in Nigeria)....... This sends all sort of wrong messages.......

It's time he informed those in Nigeria, that the yam they made him plant....... Is about to get harvested......

Never put the cart before the horse & never shut the stable doors, when the horse already bolted out ......

But are they really strict with this 20hrs thing? I know people who flouted and got tier 2 approved.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2023
Strata1716:
Good morning everyone,

please my friend unfortunately had to work more than 20 hours because the bills were too much and he’s also the first child of the family so he had to pay siblings school fees and take care of his family back home in Nigeria.

He only started Working 34 hours after lectures was over and they were writing dissertation as he had exhausted every savings so needed money badly, It’s time for psw but he’s scared of doing the Visa because he doesn’t want to be caught and deported.

I’ve told him to try his luck and see what happens but he’s saying he doesn’t want to risk it, please is there any way for him to explain to the VO maybe in a cover letter or something else why he had to work those hours,

is it a bit better that he started working past 20 hours after lectures but during dissertation writing, can he also get a care sponsorship job as it is 2 months before the expiration of his visa and he’s been trying for weeks to get a care job but no luck.

Please don’t ignore as all advise are welcomed and my friend is very depressed now, we are trying to help but scared he might unalive himself because the financial pressure of going back to Nigeria might be too much.

Your friend may get his PSW. I know of several people in a school whatsapp group that worked even up to 48 hours on several occasion and still got PSW. I use the word "May" because nothing is certain and everyone's case differs. However, following the law is the best as the PSW wouldn't be a probability but a certainty "All things being equal"

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 9:28pm On Apr 12, 2023
giselle237:
how ?
habhidhemhii:
Now, a superior at the letting agency has reverted and told them they don't need to pay if they leave on the date stated in the letter. So, the info they were furnished with before was wrong and their assumption was right.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 9:29pm On Apr 12, 2023
Yinnchi2:
Hello, please I need advice. I met my boyfriend(African-British) a few months ago and we plan to get married later this year. Unfortunately, I found out we are both of AS genotype. I'm optimistic about not having kids with sickle cell but since it can't be ruled out, I want to ask if the UK government provides adequate and free health programs for such or if the sickle cell treatment issue is the same here as it is in Nigeria

Pieces of Advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Get ready to spend money on artificial insemination. U can browse but the last time I asked was like 2yrs ago or 3yrs ago the particular centre I called said it is 8m. If u were in Nigeria i would have said u should try UBTH.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 12, 2023
Strata1716:

He showed me messages of him appealing to his family to give him some time to settle and that things are not financially okay with him but they stopped speaking to him and called him ungrateful and wicked as they thought he had money but wants to abandon them now that he has traveled out.

We are all just trying to help him now so he doesn’t get deported

I have to believe this is just you trolling, because it should be impossible for someone enough to travel out to go study to be making such heavy decisions for these absurd reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:07pm On Apr 12, 2023
Poanan:

But are they really strict with this 20hrs thing? I know people who flouted and got tier 2 approved.

And I know some that got caught....... I know what side of the divide, I would rather be ..........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 1:43am On Apr 13, 2023
koonbey:

I have to believe this is just you trolling, because it should be impossible for someone enough to travel out to go study to be making such heavy decisions for these absurd reasons.

Please not everyone comes from rich families and don’t underestimate how hard it is for some families to survive without support.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 4:30am On Apr 13, 2023
koonbey:

Well, those that are well exposed might convince the ones at home that greater life awaits the family in other side of the divide and a land might be sold to make sure it happened, later you dey come up with story 😉? May he find mercy shaa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iyatrustee(f): 6:20am On Apr 13, 2023
Poanan:

Most people I know flouted that rule

Why we complain Nigeria isn't working and always refer to a saner clime. We don dey the saner clime and still acting like we used to!

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:42am On Apr 13, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

No, challenge him with facts though he lies freely without shame.

I understand where you’re coming from but what would be the end goal of challenging him? To prove what to whom?

I wouldn’t mislead anyone but I wouldn’t go out of my way to convince random people on the internet about anything either.

I believe it’s better to let him spread all those stories and let those who will believe, believe, and stay home. We need people to build Naija and make the country work anyway so win win.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 7:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Please I need recommendations for a really good and decent Tower fan that will blow actual breeze during the heatwave. Abeg I no get money for Dyson
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 7:41am On Apr 13, 2023
iyatrustee:

Why we complain Nigeria isn't working and always refer to a saner clime. We don dey the saner clime and still acting like we used to!
Ah well, there's no point flogging a dead horse.

The OP and their friend know what rules were flouted. Do many others flout those same rules and scaled through? Yes.

Is the OP and their friend worried about consequences? Yes. Can we stop people who think their situations back home is enough justification to go above the allowed hours? No. Are there Nigerians abiding by that 20-hour rule strictly. Countless.

Anyhow people go be anyhow prople. So, what to do? Wish them the best when they mess up. Cos we can't help them and e no too concern us.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 8:51am On Apr 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

And I know some that got caught....... I know what side of the divide, I would rather be ..........

Any way sha better people lie low. Cos some schools didnt dosturb people at all. My friend paid the bal using 20hrs but worked more than 20hrs during hols. Which is not a problem.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:56am On Apr 13, 2023
Poanan:

Any way sha better people lie low. Cos some schools didnt dosturb people at all. My friend paid the bal using 20hrs but worked more than 20hrs during hols. Which is not a problem.

It doesn't really bother me, if people exceed their WTD (I am not paying their fees/tax)........

But considering the amount invested + a little bit of patience........ Would go a long way, in avoiding (had I known situation).......

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 9:01am On Apr 13, 2023
Strata1716:

He showed me messages of him appealing to his family to give him some time to settle and that things are not financially okay with him but they stopped speaking to him and called him ungrateful and wicked as they thought he had money but wants to abandon them now that he has traveled out.

We are all just trying to help him now so he doesn’t get deported

I think he should call the family and tell them his predicament now. So that they know what their actions have caused and they should pray so it doesn't go the other way. It is very important he tells them. Taking a second look. It may be harsh but your friend somehow knew what he was getting involved in. He probably did cos he saw others and wanted to play the hero.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 9:08am On Apr 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It doesn't really bother me, if people exceed their WTD (I am not paying their fees/tax)........

But considering the amount invested + a little bit of patience........ Would go a long way, in avoiding (had I known situation).......

Exactly, that money is too much o. People should stop "capping" for others, like they say in common parlance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:10am On Apr 13, 2023
If you currently undertake AirBnB side hustle........ Now you require planning permission, which inturn means registration and further exposure to taxation net ......🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:16am On Apr 13, 2023
Poanan:

Exactly, that money is too much o. People should stop "capping" for others, like they say in common parlance.

I remember many moons ago, home students went to university completely free (the government even paid you, to attend university).......

Foreign students, only paid about £3000...... Back then, we home students, still picked up shifts at kwiksave, Safeway & 24/7(unlimited hours) ......... 🤣😂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:25am On Apr 13, 2023
Poanan:

I think he should call the family and tell them his predicament now. So that they know what their actions have caused and they should pray so it doesn't go the other way. It is very important he tells them. Taking a second look. It may be harsh but your friend somehow knew what he was getting involved in. He probably did cos he saw others and wanted to play the hero.

You know he wouldn't inform them ........ He/she, would rather face this stressful period alone (praying a miracle happens)........😜😂

We should be brave enough to say NO, regardless of backlash..........

I recently had a dialogue with a japa candidate, that opposed my house buying mantra (how difficult it was for them to save funds) ...... When we conducted a forensic analysis of wages earned vs funds sent to Nigeria.........

If Nigeria was cutoff for almost 3 years (this particular couple, would have enough saved to buy a property).......

What we fail to realise is, let's assume this person that cannot say NO, dies ........ Those in Nigeria, would still survive.........

A little patience, for a long term gain...... In my opinion, is a much better position....... No dey rush, lick hot soup ........😜😭

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by M6ix: 10:19am On Apr 13, 2023
alongetayo:

Thanks a bunch. I have received the biometrics form. Na stamp pad remain now! 😁

Please how did you go about signing up? It keeps giving me error messages and I have been unable to fill the first three columns (Name, phone and email) Not sure I'm doing something wrong.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:32am On Apr 13, 2023
Unrelated but does anyone know why UK bank branches keep closing down?

More digitization to reduce costs and go the way of banks like Monzo or recession?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:35am On Apr 13, 2023
Poanan:

They'll say 'eeeyahhhh' cos they won't really understand the consequences of what he got into the long term gains he could have had from sticking to rules

When baba comes back to 'ese aaro', they'll say "Aye lo se"

As Oga Lexus dey talk, Them no dey rush lick hot soup. As them dey talk for Twitter street, "if you no avoid whatsapp billing, you fit no make am for life"

He'll probably still get the psw though but will learn a vital lesson that when push comes to shove, na OYO e dey

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 13, 2023
hustla:
Unrelated but does anyone know why UK bank branches keep closing down?

More digitization to reduce costs and go the way of banks like Monzo or recession?

Primarily digitisation. The trend predates the current economic woes. - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8740/

Branches have steadily been receiving less footfall so many are becoming superfluous.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Raalsalghul: 10:39am On Apr 13, 2023
Phayie:

800x12= 9,600

Earning like 900-1k monthly will give you about 12k?

Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:48am On Apr 13, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays?

+ sleep in money if you're in support

wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (931) (932) (933) (934) (935) (936) (937) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: Alanzazani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.