Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (960) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191085 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:28am On Apr 27, 2023
I can't agree more with the bolded.

When UK cancelled PSW, see comments. Now, UK is allowing people to come in, the same set of people will complain. Nigerians are just very selfish. As if, it is that easy to get into those other countries.

Zahra29:

A child born in the UK gets citizenship automatically if one of the parents has indefinite leave or settled status. (Just wanted to clarify that the parents do not have to be citizens).

Not being rude, but if you couldn't get into these "better" countries, instead of b!tching about the UK why not be grateful that the UK at least let you in, and that your children will eventually get a valuable passport(even if it takes a few years longer) or you'll have a stronger opportunity of moving to that "better" country from the UK

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:32am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you sir.
I am not trying to discourage anyone. For some, I do encourage them to come and some I discourage. It all depends on your individual circumstance. I get approached by people for advice. Someone recently asked if he should move abroad and I said he could because of his circumstance. He was well established in Nigeria, had little to nothing to lose by moving (Future settled, he can retire on a comfortable staeady income and healthcare for the rest of his life and much more plus he could test the waters and if does not work, he can go back to his job only losing a year or two). Now if I had someone advice me, I would have probably done same.
I will stop talking and start taking action. grin Have a blessed day.

For what it's worth I find your honesty refreshing because your view is that some people are indeed better off/more successful etc in Nigeria and moving to a new country wil never live up to their expectations
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 10:37am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

You will say the same about Canada when you finally get there then US becomes your new heaven.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Grass would always be greener on the other side.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 10:56am On Apr 27, 2023
missjekyll:
Woah...bit rude there, dont you think?

It's OK not to like the UK,its a bit rubbish at the minute.

They say 1st gen immigrants are more patriotic than anyone else but let me just say this...

If you ever start to think of yourself as an Englishman, remember Shamima Begum and remember the British Citizens who have been abandoned in the Sudan when they flew embassy staff out last week. When asked, they said the peopleleft behind will have local help.

What sort of country abandons its citizens?

But why the bolded in the first place, British yes I'll understand but English no way, even the British as far as I'm concerned is a secondary identity. That's why I find it funny when I see folks forming accent and trying to be more English than the queen abi na king now. Truth is the society and the system knows who you are there is no faking it till you make it in this case, when the chips are down you will be reminded of who you truly are. Best to embrace your identity from the get go and if the validation and acceptance that people seek do come along then it will be an advantage as against the disappointment that is almost certain to come when the system does what it does best. May we all have the courage to embrace who we truly are and find meaning and purpose in our identity.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Strata1716: 11:03am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

What i'm struggling to get my head around is why people will waste so much money going to a country they don't like, before coming to the UK i had an opportunity to travel to US but that is one country i wouldn't want to live in no matter what.
I have a lot of relatives there, so accommodation or feeding wasn't an issue. One day i will visit but i rather move back to Nigeria than USA

Yup I donโ€™t think I can live in the us, too many Wahala
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 11:20am On Apr 27, 2023
ifemitehi:
I will appreciate if anyone living in Wisbech, Kings Lynn or nearby cities can DM, I have some very important questions to ask. Thank you

I live in Norwich but work takes me to Kelling and Holt on some days. Kingslynn isn't far away.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:57am On Apr 27, 2023
Zahra29:

For what it's worth I find your honesty refreshing because your view is that some people are indeed better off/more successful etc in Nigeria and moving to a new country wil never live up to their expectations

Remain a lizard in Nigeria or explore the opportunities of becoming a crocodile or a komodo dragon......... ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜œ

Would my life have been better in Nigeria........ Maybe......

But rather than thrive on a maybe........ I would rather pitch my tent with a slow + steady guaranteed rate of progression......... ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 12:03pm On Apr 27, 2023
Zahra29:

A child born in the UK gets citizenship automatically if one of the parents has indefinite leave or settled status. (Just wanted to clarify that the parents do not have to be citizens).

Not being rude, but if you couldn't get into these "better" countries, instead of b!tching about the UK why not be grateful that the UK at least let you in, and that your children will eventually get a valuable passport(even if it takes a few years longer) or you'll have a stronger opportunity of moving to that "better" country from the UK

Re: citizenship. I don't think the parents have to be anything in Canada for their kids to be citizens if they're born there. That's a better bargain for many people. So it's not really difficult to understand for anyone saying they don't understand.

For other points, what did they say about human wants? Insatiable. We can harp on gratitude all we want but the large number of people in the UK now is due to it being a better option than Nigeria and the ease of entry albeit expensive. I covered it in my previous post - quick gains.

Personally, I don't have a problem with being in the UK as long as things continue to work out the way I hope/expect. It doesn't change the fact that I've seen many people leave the UK for Canada and the US cos they believe those countries are better and those are their ultimate destinations. We don't know if the people complaining have almost perfected their plans to leave either. People can b!tch. They will be all right.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:10pm On Apr 27, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Remain a lizard in Nigeria or explore the opportunities of becoming a crocodile or a komodo dragon......... ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜œ

Would my life have been better in Nigeria........ Maybe......

But rather than thrive on a maybe........ I would rather pitch my tent with a slow + steady guaranteed rate of progression......... ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚

Have you noticed that lizards look happier and more content than komodos... Some would say better to be a happy lizard in the village than an angry Komodo in the big city grin

But Mr Lexus you are the exception - a very jolly dragon grin

Lol I'm just chatting rubbish

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:12pm On Apr 27, 2023
Strata1716:

Not to be offensive but I donโ€™t really understand why people pick Canada over the uk, Canada weather is shit, the time difference to family and friends back home is crazy, the tax rate for earnings is not crazy different from the uk, still the same long wait time for medical procedures, exchange rate to the pounds is very poor and traveling from Canada to other countries for vacation is more expensive and stressful.

Asides fast track to citizenship I donโ€™t see why Nigerians want to move from uk to Canada, I can understand US but Canada confuses me.

My younger brother was in Aberdeen and was transferred to Canada via Intra company transfer for a project so had the option to come back

He says UK what.... that his take home is better hence standard of living is better

I schooled in the US and came to UK by chance through intra company transfer for a 2 years project and 15 years later I am still here smiley....

So you never know which is actually better. They all have their + and -

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by skealoo: 12:19pm On Apr 27, 2023
Good Day All,

Please I need advice on IHS REFUND. if the account used to make initial payment for the IHS Fee has been closed. And Refund has been approved, what alternatives are there? Do I provide another account with the same name details or what would be the best solution?

Kindly advise.

thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
Zahra29:

Have you noticed that lizards look happier and more content than komodos... Some would say better to be a happy lizard in the village than an angry Komodo in the big city grin

But Mr Lexus you are the exception - a very jolly dragon grin

Lol I'm just chatting rubbish

Why not a jolly croc........๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜›
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 12:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
LagosismyHome:

My younger brother was in Aberdeen and was transferred to Canada via Intra company transfer for a project so had the option to come back

He says UK what.... that his take home is better hence standard of living is better

I schooled in the US and came to UK by chance through intra company transfer for a 2 years project and 15 years later I am still here smiley....

Especially when you find a beautiful lady then you got stuck for life ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 12:25pm On Apr 27, 2023
I agree that getting citizenship at birth is a bargain. However, the probability of getting the citizenship by birth is very low as you have to be in Canada already. To even get visitors visa in Canada, you have to wait for over a year as at the last time I checked. So how will you enter? Maybe through studies, which is not a walk in the park or through PR, which is also not easy and takes a lot of time and commitment. This means a lot of Nigerians will not even be able to get into Canada.

Instead of being ungrateful, let us try to make UK work for us. I have spoken to a lot of newcomers in the UK on how they can make the best of their stay here and develop themselves All what they want is to get a care job COS. Care job can most times be very hard and depressing. 5 years of your life doing care job!!! Delayed gratification can sometimes be better than quick wins.

habhidhemhii:
Re: citizenship. I don't think the parents have to be anything in Canada for their kids to be citizens if they're born there. That's a better bargain for many people. So it's not really difficult to understand for anyone saying they don't understand.

For other points, what did they say about human wants? Insatiable. We can harp on gratitude all we want but the large number of people in the UK now is due to it being a better option than Nigeria and the ease of entry albeit expensive. I covered it in my previous post - quick gains.

Personally, I don't have a problem with being in the UK as long as things continue to work out the way I hope/expect. It doesn't change the fact that I've seen many people leave the UK for Canada and the US cos they believe those countries are better and those are their ultimate destinations. We don't know if the people complaining have almost perfected their plans to leave either. People can b!tch. They will be all right.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 12:29pm On Apr 27, 2023
No one will want to come back in that situation especially with the big houses in Canada and our small "sardine" houses in the UK.
However, it can be more difficult getting a job in Canada even as a PR holder. The man know man all in the name of networking is too much in Canada.

LagosismyHome:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 12:53pm On Apr 27, 2023
Please, with the IHS refund, does it matter when if there was a gap before I started working in healthcare?

For example, I came in on student visa in September. Started working in dorm care in October/November. Then NHS in January/February.

All together, it's been more than 6 months.

Please can anyone advise?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:00pm On Apr 27, 2023
lavida001:

Especially when you find a beautiful lady then you got stuck for life ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Guilt as charged ... 2 years later I met a doctor here and married 2 years later . Couldn't even convince him to follow me to USA because that would be usmle stress so the rest is history although I do prefer it here for many reasons.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 1:05pm On Apr 27, 2023
Newbie123:
Please, with the IHS refund, does it matter when if there was a gap before I started working in healthcare?

For example, I came in on student visa in September. Started working in dorm care in October/November. Then NHS in January/February.

All together, it's been more than 6 months.

Please can anyone advise?

It doesnโ€™t matter. Apply and get ur refund

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 1:11pm On Apr 27, 2023
skealoo:
Good Day All,

Please I need advice on IHS REFUND. if the account used to make initial payment for the IHS Fee has been closed. And Refund has been approved, what alternatives are there? Do I provide another account with the same name details or what would be the best solution?

Kindly advise.

thanks.
Send a mail to this address asking for status
nhsbsa.IHSreimbursements@nhs.net

If the status shows that they are unable to send the payment to the initiating account, send a mail here with bank details and txn ref
CustomerRefundsIHS@homeoffice.gov.uk

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 1:12pm On Apr 27, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Guilt as charged ... 2 years later I met a doctor here and married 2 years later . Couldn't even convince him to follow me to USA because that would be usmle stress so the rest is history although I do prefer it here for many reasons.

Aww bless....you need to be taxed extra cos the UK has been very good to you sis wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2023
Zahra29:

Aww bless....you need to be taxed extra cos the UK has been very good to you sis wink

smiley cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 1:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
I agree that getting citizenship at birth is a bargain. However, the probability of getting the citizenship by birth is very low as you have to be in Canada already. To even get visitors visa in Canada, you have to wait for over a year as at the last time I checked. So how will you enter? Maybe through studies, which is not a walk in the park or through PR, which is also not easy and takes a lot of time and commitment. This means a lot of Nigerians will not even be able to get into Canada.

Instead of being ungrateful, let us try to make UK work for us. I have spoken to a lot of newcomers in the UK on how they can make the best of their stay here and develop themselves All what they want is to get a care job COS. Care job can most times be very hard and depressing. 5 years of your life doing care job!!! Delayed gratification can sometimes be better than quick wins.

This is spot on! Many Nigerians just want the quick ans easy way out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EngGandalf: 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2023
profemebee:
Apologies if it sounded rude..

My point was he knew the rules before going to the UK.. e.g. no recourse to public funds, etc... I'm also adhering to the rules.. i just have to..

This isn't something that just started .... even citizens can't access a lot of benefits..

i'm Nigerian.. not an English man, but doesn't stop me from speaking the truth.
You did not understand my post, that's why I didn't bother to reply, if I was in Nigeria, I wouldn't talk about UK. But I'm in UK and I pay bills et.al, so I have the right to talk about UK. If I go to Canada or USA and I see something wrong, I'll say it. Plain and simple.
PS: I don't know what you mean by saying โ€œThe Truthโ€ . What's the Truth?
You don't intentionally go into a fire and then complain about the heat..

Apologies once again if it sounded rude

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EngGandalf: 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2023
[quote author=EngGandalf post=122782645][/quote]
You don't have to just โ€œAdhere to the rulesโ€.... ...its Immigrants like you, that get to Office and stop other immigrants like yourself from coming in.. Forgetting how you got here...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EngGandalf: 2:08pm On Apr 27, 2023
heroshark:

This is spot on! Many Nigerians just want the quick ans easy way out
No one is ungrateful.. We're just stating the obvious. The laws are not favorable.... It's only if we say it, they'll think of changing it.. If you just continue to adhere to it.. It won't change. The thing is, many Nigerian think about themselves only. Don't care about what others whoโ€™re coming will or might face when they get here..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by skealoo: 2:17pm On Apr 27, 2023
seunoj:

Send a mail to this address asking for status
nbsbsa.IHSreimbursements@nhs.net

If the status shows that they are unable to send the payment to the initiating account, send a mail here with bank details and txn ref
CustomerRefundsIHS@homeoffice.gov.uk

Many Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by EngGandalf: 2:23pm On Apr 27, 2023
I see so many Nigerians bashing their fellow Nigerians for saying the obvious, someone used the word Bitching...
, the refugeesUSA evacuated from Afghanistan, after a few weeks in USA, they went on protest because of a few things the USA was doing wrong, that's people without visa o.. If it doesn't favor you, you can speak about it... No issues, it's a normal thing.. Stop castigating people for talking out. They're not talking about you ...Omo I don tire to talk....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by steadyMoving22: 2:26pm On Apr 27, 2023
Grateful for the opportunities in the UK regardless.
NIGERIA didn't do so much for many of us so why complain.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2023
How did we get from there to here?

read what you typed again...

I typed i adhere to the rules too and even stated not all citizens have access to benefits..

And this is what you reply with?

Like for real? cheesy ... wow

EngGandalf:

You don't have to just โ€œAdhere to the rulesโ€.... ...its Immigrants like you, that get to Office and stop other immigrants like yourself from coming in.. Forgetting how you got here...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 2:29pm On Apr 27, 2023
No one is saying not to complain but it becomes a problem when it is all negative and no positive.

EngGandalf:
I see so many Nigerians bashing their fellow Nigerians for saying the obvious, someone used the word Bitching...
, the refugeesUSA evacuated from Afghanistan, after a few weeks in USA, they went on protest because of a few things the USA was doing wrong, that's people without visa o.. If it doesn't favor you, you can speak about it... No issues, it's a normal thing.. Stop castigating people for talking out. They're not talking about you ...Omo I don tire to talk....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 2:31pm On Apr 27, 2023
so if you say it, UK gov will give us access to public funds, etc?

cheesy

This is why forums like this thread exist.. best be prepared before leaving Nigeria...

The first few years will be tough for everyone, but remember, "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it"..

Appreciate every part of the journey.. even the lowest & toughest moments...

EngGandalf:

No one is ungrateful.. We're just stating the obvious. The laws are not favorable.... It's only if we say it, they'll think of changing it.. If you just continue to adhere to it.. It won't change. The thing is, many Nigerian think about themselves only. Don't care about what others whoโ€™re coming will or might face when they get here..

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gergemam: 3:29pm On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you sir.
I am not trying to discourage anyone. For some, I do encourage them to come and some I discourage. It all depends on your individual circumstance. I get approached by people for advice. Someone recently asked if he should move abroad and I said he could because of his circumstance. He was well established in Nigeria, had little to nothing to lose by moving (Future settled, he can retire on a comfortable staeady income and healthcare for the rest of his life and much more plus he could test the waters and if does not work, he can go back to his job only losing a year or two). Now if I had someone advice me, I would have probably done same.
I will stop talking and start taking action. grin Have a blessed day.

Hmm!!! I don't know the industry you're into

But for my own industry, I will rather not stay where a recruiter ๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ž will say, We are sorry, we are not able to continue with your application due to your location..

With few months been in the UK, nah dem they rush me, nah me dey tell them I am sorry ๐Ÿ˜.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.