Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) (54165 Views)

South Africa's Looted Coffin Recovered But Blue Couch Not Found Yet (Pix) / South African Man's Bedroom Turns To A Bar With His Looted Drinks (Video) / #FreeZuma Looting: South African Man Carries Home A Looted ATM Machine (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by LeSudAfricaine: 12:58pm On Aug 27, 2021
ikllbrokehoes:
It means looting is in your blood, all of you there
Better. victimless crime, let's talk about your ritual killing and crimes broad

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Renforce: 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Some well-off people took advantage of the chaos. This one was arrested for looting even though he drives a Mercedes Benz.

https://www.nairaland.com/6699268/famous-mercedes-benz-looter-viral-sa

So what did you get? You criminal!

1 Like

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by kolaaderin: 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2021
Now I know why those electronics expired prematurely. This days after 5 years, TV just pack up suddenly and if you visit their repair centres they will tell you they no longer support your old TV out of warranty,trying to persuade you to buy new one.
This I have experienced twice, there was a LG TV I bought in 2010 packed up 2015 and was told they parts is faced out they no longer support the TV that still looks pretty the same like the one they presently have in stock that year. Out of no options picked Up a new TV that year and was so furious on why I will junk a clean modern TV because they fail to support it after 3 years warrantee. It was then the LG Fuani India guy now came out to me that he will request for the part with my new receipt from the head office in Apapa, they could still have spare to help repair it since I'm a returning customer, but he can not guarantee the repair and they will call me as soon as its ready or call back in a month as it could be imported from Korea or china what ever.
Behold I got a call from them after close to a month that the TV has been repaired and I have to pay about 60k since it no longer under warranty. I was glad then because we needed a 65 inch TV for ibadan home town house, such a relieve to avoid another close to half a million naira, zoom it to Ibadan and the TV is still up running till today.
The second time was in April this year, the TV I bought in 2015 suddenly start tripping off like every 10 to 15 minutes of use, took it down to them and the same movies was playing out encouraging me to get a new one that its out of warranty. For where in this Buhari economy, I quickly scripted my own drama, called out the store manager and told him point blank that if they cannot repair this , then I m done with anything labelled LG, that my next move is to enter Samsung store and get a new TV or even get a Bruham TV way less without any remorse. Than the manager call me into his office and started telling stories on why they encourage a new one that electronic out warranty has many parts faced out and may not have the part again in store and even if they do, it may develop another issue in few weeks or months and customer will have to pay for all the repairs, that they will try to repair this as he could still source the part from the same HQ in Apapa.
That was how the TV was repaired under a week then in April.

This could all be coincidental, but with this Samsung blocking TVs out of use remotely, I believe something could be fishy. ?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking.
In those year we are growing up, our National TV was decommissioned out of use because it was no longer fashionable on the shelf not because it got damaged. That TV later used its end years in the store and was later junked because even if you dash someone the person will not even thank you for it.

This could be an eye opener as they could control the life spam of your electronics if they felt you can afford a new one based on your address location. I guess this is played out to most of us in Lekki, Ikoyi, Victoria Island residence.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Fucktensei: 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2021
babayinka77:

I pray one day we will have phone manufacturers that would insert or embed tracker in phones so that all phone thieves could be traced and nabbed by police. This will be a major selling point to a smart phone company...... wink
seconded! we are working seriously on this in the next future. proof of authority protocol will be implemented. everyone will be given a "flash code" that works for only that phone . if the thief can't enter the code correctly in 2 attempts(we won't make it known to them) , the phone will be made useless, never to work until the real user gets it back and uses their bio data to unlock and reset it back. it will include answering some security questiobs and biometrics
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2021
kolaaderin:
Now I know why those electronics expired prematurely. This days after 5 years, TV just pack up suddenly and if you visit their repair centres they will tell you they no longer support your old TV out of warranty,trying to persuade you to buy new one.
This I have experienced twice, there was a LG TV I bought in 2010 packed up 2015 and was told they parts is faced out they no longer support the TV that still looks pretty the same like the one they presently have in stock that year. Out of no options picked Up a new TV that year and was so furious on why I will junk a clean modern TV because they fail to support it after 3 years warrantee. It was then the LG Fuani India guy now came out to me that he will request for the part with my new receipt from the head office in Apapa, they could still have spare to help repair it since I'm a returning customer, but he can not guarantee the repair and they will call me as soon as its ready or call back in a month as it could be imported from Korea or china what ever.
Behold I got a call from them after close to a month that the TV has been repaired and I have to pay about 60k since it no longer under warranty. I was glad then because we needed a 65 inch TV for ibadan home town house, such a relieve to avoid another close to half a million naira, zoom it to Ibadan and the TV is still up running till today.
The second time was in April this year, the TV I bought in 2015 suddenly start tripping off like every 10 to 15 minutes of use, took it down to them and the same movies was playing out encouraging me to get a new one that its out of warranty. For where in this Buhari economy, I quickly scripted my own drama, called out the store manager and told him point blank that if they cannot repair this , then I m done with anything labelled LG, that my next move is to enter Samsung store and get a new TV or even get a Bruham TV way less without any remorse. Than the manager call me into his office and started telling stories on why they encourage a new one that electronic out warranty has many parts faced out and may not have the part again in store and even if they do, it may develop another issue in few weeks or months and customer will have to pay for all the repairs, that they will try to repair this as he could still source the part from the same HQ in Apapa.
That was how the TV was repaired under a week then in April.

This could all be coincidental, but with this Samsung blocking TVs out of use remotely, I believe something could be fishy. ?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking.
In those year we are growing up, our National TV was decommissioned out of use because it was no longer fashionable on the shelf not because it got damaged. That TV later used its end years in the store and was later junked because even if you dash someone the person will not even thank you for it.

This could be an eye opener as they could control the life spam of your electronics if they felt you can afford a new one based on your address location. I guess this is played out to most of us in Lekki, Ikoyi, Victoria Island residence.

Apple has been slowing down its devices for years now in order to get people to upgrade. So yes, a lot of the tech companies do this remotely, they just haven't been caught out yet.

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2021
MICHEALADEX:

So some women will gulp that lent...chai

And go back to their boyfriend like nothing happened.
Na God hand we dey oh embarassed
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 27, 2021
emmy512:

Whats the use of a smart tv that's not connected to the internet

You don't need internet to use your smarttv. You can still watch your dstv on them.

Internet is only needed when you want to use the apps installed on them.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Enn214(m): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2021
TV wey fit dey spy person for house...that one na tv
Why dem no kuku put gps to track the thieves??
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2021
A good software engineer, would still erase and install some of the firmwares on some of those chips
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Ameboperoo(m): 3:26pm On Aug 27, 2021
NinjaMetahuman:
the tv is probably more expensive than the car.
Very true
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by UCHIHAmask: 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

It's still a deterrent, and they should extend it to the DStv connection as well. Then they'll be stuck with just 4 free unpopular channels and continue the suffering.
I didn't even connect the Samsung I bought to the internet, does it mean that I'm suffering?I only watch movies with it and it also serves for beautification.

the effect of the action taken by Samsung company is negligible and would be ineffective.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by TMKsouth: 3:59pm On Aug 27, 2021
UCHIHAmask:

I didn't even connect the Samsung I bought to the internet, does it mean that I'm suffering?
I only watch movies with it and it also serves for beautification.

the effect of the action taken by Samsung company is negligible and would be ineffective.

Lol, yes you're definitely suffering if u can't use a smart TV to its fullest potential. Imagine no internet or satellite connection, just a few dull free-to-air stations and playing dvds for life.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by bablon20(m): 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2021
Na who internet help? Thieves don't lose in any circumstance.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Danjikanbauchi: 5:19pm On Aug 27, 2021
LeSudAfricaine:
What about the same Nigerians killing their own in the name of religion/politics (Boko Haram) and what about innocent you keep killing for fetish practices? or that doesn't count? Besides, during these Xenophobic attacks foreigners weren't even killed.
those ones are Terrorists, they are all Animals
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 27, 2021
mofedamijo:

Most people buying a smart tv in South Africa needs it to be able to connect to the Internet. There are fibre Internet in S.A. Moreover, its cheaper for so many folks to connect to their Internet and enjoy showmax, Netflix, hulu, etc, rather than subscribing to dstv.

Dstv isn't a big deal in S.A, everyone wants to connect their tv to the Internet. Selling those tvs cash is also very difficult in S.A. People in S.A often buy electronics, and pay back in installments, like paying back R300/month. Most people are not ready to cough out R8, 000 rand for a tv cash.

Pls stop hyping south Africa, you type as if everyone in South Africa is on the internet

To qualify for installmental payments, you must be working, unemployment rate in South Africa is very high.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by mofedamijo(m): 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Pls stop hyping south Africa, you type as if everyone in South Africa is on the internet

To qualify for installmental payments, you must be working, unemployment rate in South Africa is very high.

South Africa internet users accounts for about 70% of the population, while Nigeria Internet users accounts for about 50% of the population.

Unemployment rate in South Africa is 34.6%, while in Nigeria, you have 33%.

For the record, South Africa pays its unemployed citizens some grants every month, the old people get some grants every month, student frim unemployed or poor homes gets full scholarship with monthly grants of up to R3, 000-5,000 monthly............so what exactly is your point??

Get your facts right nigga, and stop blabbing.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by mofedamijo(m): 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2021
1306six:
[s][/s]

The guy is an idiot.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 27, 2021
mofedamijo:

South Africa internet users accounts for about 70% of the population, while Nigeria Internet users accounts for about 50% of the population.

Unemployment rate in South Africa is 34.6%, while in Nigeria, you have 33%.

For the record, South Africa pays its unemployed citizens some grants every month, the old people get some grants every month, student frim unemployed or poor homes gets full scholarship with monthly grants of up to R3, 000-5,000 monthly............so what exactly is your point??

Get your facts right nigga, and stop blabbing.

It is covid grants and it started during the covid crisis.

My point is simple, not everyone in south Africa can afford an internet talkless of a dstv.

There is massive poverty in South Africa especially in the shanty towns.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by mofedamijo(m): 8:04pm On Aug 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

It is covid grants and it started during the covid crisis.

My point is simple, not everyone in south Africa can afford an internet talkless of a dstv.

There is massive poverty in South Africa especially in the shanty towns.

Stop saying what you don't know, I have been traveling to South Africa since 2008, and I have been hearing about the grant, it has nothing to do with covid.

By the way, if you don't know south africa, stop arguing, dstv is in about 20 countries in Africa, and South Africa accounts for almost 50% of all subscribers in Africa.

Poverty in South Africa is around 40%, I believe in Nigeria, it will probably be 80%. Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

Stop spewing trash.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2021
mofedamijo:

Stop saying what you don't know, I have been traveling to South Africa since 2008, and I have been hearing about the grant, it has nothing to do with covid.

By the way, if you don't know south africa, stop arguing, dstv is in about 20 countries in Africa, and South Africa accounts for almost 50% of all subscribers in Africa.

Poverty in South Africa is around 40%, I believe in Nigeria, it will probably be 80%. Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

Stop spewing trash.

That means 40% of south Africans can't afford the internet

1 Like

Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by mofedamijo(m): 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

That means 40% of south Africans can't afford the internet

.... You need to learn to read.
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 27, 2021
mofedamijo:

.... You need to learn to read.

Didnt you write that 40% of south africans are in poverty.

Can someone in poverty be thinking about the internet?
Re: Samsung Blocks TVs Looted By South Africans, Making Them Useless (PIX) by mofedamijo(m): 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Didnt you write that 40% of south africans are in poverty.

Can someone in poverty be thinking about the internet?

Ever heard of wi-fi, cheap data, community Internet. Like I said, 60% of South Africans are internet users.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ISIS: Abu Hasan al-Muhajir Is Dead! - Donald Trump / Trump Joins Ranks Of One-term US Presidents: Who Are They? / Two Ukrainian Soldiers Get Married On The Frontline (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.