Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) (3831 Views)

Man Storms Ogun School With Thugs To Attack Teacher Who Beat His Daughter / Woman Takes Her Daughter To School With Bicycle (Picture) / Sex For Marks: Varsity Suspends Lecturer, Places Him On Half-salary (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by AbujaBlue: 11:29am On Aug 28, 2021
Scotland's most remote island primary school - with just three pupils - is searching for a new head teacher.

Fair Isle, which is halfway between Orkney and Shetland, is famed for its knitwear and bird observatory.

It is just three miles long (4.8km) and one-and-a-half miles wide, is home to 60 people, and only got a reliable 24-hour-a-day electricity supply in 2018.

Headteacher Ruth Stout has worked at the school for 35 years, but is due to step down in October.

Shetland Islands Council said the post - with a salary of £56,787 per year - was a unique opportunity, with applications having to be in by Sunday night.

Mrs Stout said the island - which featured in the BBC's Fair Isle: Living on the Edge documentary series - is a great place to live and work, but urged potential applicants for the job to carefully consider the practicalities of moving there.

She said: "It's quite a different sort of life to living in other places. We are very weather dependent.

"Planes and boats are often cancelled and that can impact on school trips. You have to be adaptable and flexible living here.

"I've been here for 35 years and we've a lot of children through the school - we've had primary one to primary seven, every age and stage in the class at the same time. The children learn from each other."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-58322157

4 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by AbujaBlue: 11:30am On Aug 28, 2021
The current pupils are nine-year-old Freyja, six-year-old Luca, and Ander, who is three.

Freyja said: "There are not many children so you can get to do lots of different things.

"And we grow lots of vegetables to have with our school dinners."

Eileen Thomson, the mother of Luca and Ander, said the island was lucky to have such a good school and it was vital that it managed to attract the right person to continue the work done by Mrs Stout.

The departing head teacher said a major challenge was preparing the children for secondary school, when they have to leave Fair Isle and go to board at the high school in Lerwick in Shetland.

She said: "It's a big move from them and they just come back every third weekend and holidays.

"So a lot of our time is spent on school trips to get them used to being in Lerwick and used to the Anderson High School hostel where they will go and live."

Shetland Islands Council said whoever replaces Mrs Stout would have a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Robin Calder, its executive manager for quality improvement, said: "This is a tremendous opportunity for a head teacher, or aspiring head teacher, to join the vibrant community of Fair Isle and continue to take the school forward.

"It offers a fantastic opportunity for any educationalist to develop both professionally and personally."

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by markidoo(m): 11:34am On Aug 28, 2021
Nigeria is poverty stricken

2 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Blackdeewhy(m): 11:37am On Aug 28, 2021
On my way

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Plut01: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2021

"It is just three miles long (4.8km) and one-and-a-half miles wide, is home to 60 people, and only got a
reliable 24-hour-a-day electricity supply in 2018."

Reading the quoted part above, the first thing that came to my mind was, how have they been living through the cold winter time without electricity to heat their homes

I didn't see any solar panels or Hydro plant in the available picture.

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Ever8090: 11:49am On Aug 28, 2021
A primary school on a remote area looking so finer than our public universities in Nigeria simply because animals have been ruling the country from her Inception to date...

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by OldNairalander(m): 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2021
After over 3 decades of existence
How I ended up been born in Nigeria still dey shock me
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Commentor: 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2021
Plut01:

"It is just three miles long (4.8km) and one-and-a-half miles wide, is home to 60 people, and only got a

Reading the quoted part above, the first thing that came to my mind was, how have they been living through the cold winter time without electricity to heat their homes

Shetlands is oil rich.
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Freestainworld(m): 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2021
The whites are incredible, imagine a school of 3 pupils looking so good while some of our schools here looks like a pounded yam kitchen.

6 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by NigeriaLimited: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2021
Commentor:

Shetlands is oil rich.
So that means they'll have issues with agriculture. No wonder the salary is that high, you will need the money to buy expensive food

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Commentor: 1:55pm On Aug 28, 2021
NigeriaLimited:

So that means they'll have issues with agriculture. No wonder the salary is that high, you will need the money to buy expensive food

They don't have problems with agriculture.

They are known for fishing as well as keeping sheep.

They spend the same Scottish pound and getting produce is no problem.

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by NigeriaLimited: 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2021
Commentor:

They don't have problems with agriculture.
They are known for fishing as well as keeping sheep.
They spend the same Scottish pound and getting produce is no problem.

So if they don't have issues with oil spillage which is a common problem down here
and they have oil, how come Niger-delta has oil spillage and issues with agriculture? Where are we getting it wrong in Nigeria? Something isn't right.

Niger Delta deserves more

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Commentor: 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2021
NigeriaLimited:

So if they don't have issues with oil spillage which is a common problem down here
and they have oil, how come Niger-delta has oil spillage and issues with agriculture? Where are we getting it wrong in Nigeria? Something isn't right.

When people tell you the truth would you accept?

There's global best practice applied in the oil industry. Even in Nigeria.

But just as Nigerians vandalise rail lines, they do so on oil pipelines.

The fallout is what we bear.

We are too primitive abeg.

9 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by illmatic101(m): 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2021
Please how can I apply?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by overdrive(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2021
I need to apply.

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by olu77(m): 3:49pm On Aug 28, 2021
Post this ad for punch and vanguard about 30million candidates will apply on the first day. We get teachers nau not only doctors

2 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Gadafii: 4:24pm On Aug 28, 2021
I go adapt naau

What's the qualifications they are looking for, and is the opportunity opened to Nigerians,I no mind make Dem no pay me my first three months salary sef

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Kingcalls: 5:44pm On Aug 28, 2021
Plut01:

The ancient ways...their fire made out of wood...humans existed b4 electricity

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2021
Real life koro-sensei
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by greenguy: 6:14pm On Aug 28, 2021
...and I can teach o very very well and very good with kids too cheesy
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by bukatyne(f): 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2021
It sounds like a life time experience and the kids would be so emotionally intelligent.

They would also be very hands on & be very resourceful.

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by FreeStuffsNG: 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2021
Wow!! Very interesting. There are schools like that in Nigeria too, especially in some of the sparsely populated Niger Delta oil producing communities. The oil companies provide support but there are just few pupils.
Such kids have very poor understanding of city life and it will surprise you when most of them can't even mention the name of a bank.
That's why I applaud the effort of the school to take them on trips. Not really a great place to raise a child . Children are in their best elements when growing up among peers in order to build their social and communication skills.

1 Like

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by WoundedLamb: 7:46pm On Aug 28, 2021
Plut01:

They just got a 24hr/day reliable electricity. This doesn't mean they were without electricity. It just wasn't constant. In other words, there used to be occasional power cuts. But then again, how they survived without electricity shouldn't be a puzzle, there are other ways to generate heat. Man predates electricity, you know. Some of us still love the fireplace concept even in the presence of constant power supply.

3 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by TheEnygma(m): 9:36pm On Aug 28, 2021
Ever8090:
A primary school on a remote area looking so finer than our public universities in Nigeria simply because animals have been ruling the country from her Inception to date...
That was exactly the same thing that bcame to my mind immediately I opened this thread.... You literally spoke my mind.

Nigeria is cursed.... NA ME TALK AM.
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by UndauntedYOCA(f): 9:56pm On Aug 28, 2021
I'm more than competent. I can be both teacher and headmistress o.
I've got more than 5 years of teaching experience. grin cheesy grin cheesy
As ladies, a lot of us are guilty of having masculine energy which sometimes can be repelling. This is caused by several factors and can sometimes hinder us from getting some things out of life. Pretty privilege is on the rise and what other way can one become better and make life more fun and easier than to become feminine. Trust me ladies, the journey to feminine elegance isn't an easy one but is certainly worth it.
Here are 5 easy ways to help you become soft, elegant and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf0AMkYQvyQ

Like, share, subscribe and turn on post notification bell.
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by FILEBE(m): 11:49pm On Aug 28, 2021
NigeriaLimited:

Niger Delta matter tire me o. Looks like the Niger Deltan too don't want development. An acquaintance told me her story of how she and a foreign company wants to set up some schools, factories and some beneficiary stuff like that at one area of the Niger Delta. Do you know what the Deltans did?

When a meeting was call with the deltans to discuss how they want to build the infrastructure . Lo and behold, the deltans said they don't want any infrastructure but the money for the infrastructure should be shared amongst them. Omo.. Oyinbos shock o, the girl sef say she shock . She was shocked . They ended up sharing that money amongs themselves . That was how the foreigners left o .

2 Likes

Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Oduok(m): 4:53am On Aug 29, 2021
Plut01:

I'm sure they must be using Biomass Energy
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by Wilfun25(f): 8:37am On Aug 29, 2021
I use PiggyVest to save & invest securely. Sign up with my link and get ₦1,000.00 to start your own savings journey - https://www.piggyvest.com/?newref=1&ref=1672ab10b10521
Earn points when you save. This is our way of rewarding you for having a great savings culture on PiggyVest. The more you save, the more points you earn
Re: UK's Most Remote School With 3 Pupils Seeks New Headteacher - £56k Salary (Pics) by AbujaBlue: 9:28am On Aug 29, 2021
The job application deadline is today, but in the UK alone it will be highly sought after.

(1) (Reply)

Omg!!see Egg N10 I Bought Just Now / Par-time Student And NYSC / Pass This Test And Your Post-utme Success Is Guaranteed!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.