Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Video Shows LAPD Used Stun Gun, Placed Knee On Neck Of NBA Player (jaxson Hayes - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Video Shows LAPD Used Stun Gun, Placed Knee On Neck Of NBA Player (jaxson Hayes (430 Views)

Real Madrid Are LA Liga Champions As Girona Stun Barcelona / Ndidi Man Of The Match As Leicester City Stun Liverpool / Kobe Bryant: The Life Of NBA Icon In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Video Shows LAPD Used Stun Gun, Placed Knee On Neck Of NBA Player (jaxson Hayes by Ogbenia: 2:58am On Aug 29, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceCD77aRKhk

As Hayes gasped “I can’t breathe” several times, another officer tells his partner “get your knee up,” the video shows.

LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles police officer briefly pressed a knee to the neck of NBA player Jaxson Hayes as the New Orleans Pelicans center gasped “I can’t breathe” seconds before another officer used a Taser on him during a struggle, according to body camera video released Friday.

The officers went to Hayes’ home in the Woodland Hills neighborhood on July 28 around 3 a.m. after his girlfriend’s cousin called 911. The cousin said Hayes’ girlfriend was sending her text messages saying he had become loud and violent and she was scared.
Hayes, who was not armed, became argumentative after officers said he couldn't go back into his home. He ignored requests from his girlfriend and his cousin to stop talking and struggling with the police as they tried to subdue him. The 21-year-old ultimately was booked into jail on accusations of resisting arrest after he was evaluated at a hospital for minor injuries.

“Jaxson Hayes is a nice young man, and he is back home in Ohio working out and getting ready for the upcoming season,” his attorney, Mark Baute, said in a statement Friday.

The LAPD’s Force Investigation Division is looking into the case “due to the possibility of force being applied to Hayes’ neck during the use of force,” police previously said in a statement. Los Angeles police have presented the case to prosecutors, who haven’t decided whether to file charges.
A police officer’s elbow was injured when Hayes shoved him into a wall. Authorities previously said Hayes’ girlfriend has declined to cooperate in the investigation.

Hayes, 6-foot-11 and 220 pounds, was drafted eighth overall out of Texas in 2019. He is the son of former NFL tight end Jonathan Hayes, who played for Kansas City and Pittsburgh.

Since George Floyd’s death in 2020 there is heightened sensitivity not just when it comes to police violence against Black people, but to police using any kind of force that restricts a person’s breathing. While Hayes’ encounter with police bears some similarities to Floyd’s murder by former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, the differences are notable.

Hayes was on his back when a Los Angeles police officer’s knee was pressed to his neck for a few seconds. Floyd was pinned face-down under Chauvin’s knee for up to 9 1/2 minutes.

As Hayes gasped “I can’t breathe” several times, another officer tells his partner “get your knee up.” That officer immediately complies and Hayes is able to lift his head.

The nearly 15-minute, edited video of Hayes’ arrest includes the 911 call and footage from multiple officers’ body cameras. The incident at Hayes’ home began calmly with him answering questions in his driveway with his cousin standing nearby.

“What’s going on between you and your girl?” one officer asks.

“We were just having a little argument,” Hayes responds. “She was throwing some stuff at me.”

The officers say they need to speak to his girlfriend. They tell him and his cousin to wait outside. Hayes questions why he can’t go into his home and asks if they have a warrant to go inside.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-police-use-stun-gun-place-knee-neck-pelicans-n1277846
Re: Video Shows LAPD Used Stun Gun, Placed Knee On Neck Of NBA Player (jaxson Hayes by Nobody: 3:45am On Aug 29, 2021
Okay
Re: Video Shows LAPD Used Stun Gun, Placed Knee On Neck Of NBA Player (jaxson Hayes by adefitim(m): 8:11am On Aug 29, 2021
I don't know wh blacks are so violent

(1) (Reply)

Bet365 Placed A Restrictions On My Account... My account has been resolved / Let How To Make Money On Bet9ja/betzero Games / Join My Fpl League For Free And Win Prizes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.