Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,580 members, 7,958,789 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:47 AM

"It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman (46324 Views)

UK-Based Nigerian Lady Shares Scary Encounter With White Lady In London (video) / Why I Dont Like Calling My Friends & Family In Nigeria - UK Based Lady (pic/vid) / Pls Which Country Can I Travel To With ₦1.5 Million To Hustle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by ejimatic: 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2021
MrCover:
Update From . COM

A UK-based Twitter user who visited Nigeria took to Twitter to share her experience in the country.

She said she spent 2.5 million Naira in two months, adding that "food is the most expensive commodity in Nigeria".

She then goes on to say her heart bleeds for the poor in Nigeria.

Her tweet reads: "Just got back from Nigeria and I can tell you now, 1m can not do much , It cost me N2.5m to live in Nigeria for two months. Food is the most expensive commodity in Nigeria , my heart bleeds for the poor every time I go food shopping it is heart breaking."
. Only those in upper and medial classes live better in Nigeria.The lower class that has most population is suffering daily in all ways. Yet a doctored report claims we have 5.1 GDP growth.Growth with inflation. on food and other basic things of life.When will masses go to market and buy Titus ? When will masses wear good clothes? When will masses live in a good house? When will masses have good food? When will masses enjoy life for once? If a rich British can express displeasure over our horrible economic condition it means only God can make life better for the Nigerian masses.
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by shoprite: 6:20pm On Aug 31, 2021
"It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman

Well . . .that's just 3,500 GBP converted . . . hope you enjoyed your stay ! undecided

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Acidosis(m): 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2021
It is possible to blow N2.5 million in two months. Some boys spend that same amount monthly in clubs.

Anything is possible. However, don't make your lifestyle a standard for everyone. Anybody can blow anything. Rather than rent an apartment like any normal human would do, you can decide to blow N10 million on hotel bills. Na your headache be that, but don't make your view a standard.

1 Like

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by goodheart02(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2021
Sunnybay7:
If you didn't have up to 2.5milli you would have still survived, nobody has actually died of hunger in this country. They might not eat what they like but I have not heard of death as a result of hunger so please tone down your lies.

She's telling you how much it would cost u if u decide to eat the normal type of food u deserve and crave for in Nigeria, which isn't a crime to me.

2 Likes

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Acidosis(m): 7:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
goodheart02:

She's telling you how much it would cost u if u decide to eat the normal type of food u deserve and crave for in Nigeria, which isn't a crime to me.

Lol. But foreign cuisines do not appeal to a lot of Nigerians. A typical Nigerian will choose pounded yam or ewa agoyin over pizza, burger, chips, and the likes.

Imagine having to choose between baked beans and ewa agoyin. Abeg abeg, appreciate what you have.

Me wey dey type sef, I will pick soft/hot agege bread over pizza or fish/chips grin no be poverty, na wetin I wan chop be dat. grin

3 Likes

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by sirblend: 8:03pm On Aug 31, 2021
Oracleforce:

She chooses to live expensive life...must she stay in 7 stars hotel? There are lots of 10k daily hotel located in a nice place that she can stay...
Probably maybe her tourist guide or host dey exploit her join...trust naija sharps guys...
Sth of one naira dey will call it 5 naira...

2 million is the salary of IG for 5 months..
Go back to your country and learn to be wise..
Lol
If she had lodge in a 5 star hotel she would spent more than that.

Believe me for one to afford the basic need of life is very expensive here.

2 Likes

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by ridwanlawal: 10:11pm On Aug 31, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:
If you cut your coat according to your size, you'll survive for this Naija.
nowadays it is according to your material. if your size would need five yards and your material is three yards
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:34pm On Aug 31, 2021
cococandy:

Yea staying in a hotel (if it’s a good one) might be considered extravagant.

My point is that what we consider “comfortable” in Nigeria could just be bare minimum in other places. So was it truly truly extravagant or was she trying to live at a standard that the rest of the world considers fairly normal.
Between rent/lease in a good and safe neighborhood, transportation, uninterrupted power supply and nutritious meals, she could spend close to that much before adding miscellaneous expenses

Yes, I would also love to see a break down of how she spent the money. I’m interested in knowing the true state of things right now.
You are right
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:35pm On Aug 31, 2021
hollywater:
Me I spent 3.8m in my last visit. 472k went to police alone. Very useless Police. Just because my car was not numbered. Hotel and runs girls added to my problem.
Wow
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2021
Limassol:
Due to the hardship in Nigeria,many interpret the word "comfort" to extravagnce.
Truth
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2021
TomShelby:

She said ‘LIVE’ and not ‘survive’ Many Nigerians are just surviving and not living life
Right
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:37pm On Aug 31, 2021
UncleJudax:

on your last sentence. The odes are paid and also hope to be in the new government to steal more. So, since politics is the highest paying job in the land, why not.
You are right
Shame on them
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
okoroemeka:
it's true,just imagine the type of apiriko everybody will be firing the poor lady,from the cook going to market,to driver buying fuel and diesel for generator,to brothers and sisters with imagined problems and investments,even pastors will not be left out,she is even lucky they didn't sell hoax landed property to her,the hustle is real in Nigeria and men are not smiling.
There is this too
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:42pm On Aug 31, 2021
SmartyPants:

Please slow down and read with insight.

No one said she did not spend what she said she spent.

However, she said she feels sorry for the average Nigerian, whereas a s a traveler her experience is not typical of daily life in Nigeria.
This is more reason why she should feel sorry for the average Nigerian
The average Nigerian is living a "suffer head" life

That's the fact of the matter
The standard of living is abysmal; and to make matters worse the population is exploding
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:45pm On Aug 31, 2021
nosiebaba:

Bros it seems you are still a student. Average means half. Many Nigerians that are way below average actually think they are average. How many so called average Nigerians can afford to wear what they want, eat what they want school in private universities or rent average apartments or travel economy flights to long distances? How many average Nigerians can boast of average savings? Your yardstick of average is actually below average. The so called average Nigerian is actually living below average.
Exactly
If you do a survey of how many adult Nigerians have say N250k untouched savings
The results will be sad
I guess the denial of the obvious is a coping mechanism

1 Like

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by nosiebaba(m): 10:51pm On Aug 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

... the denial of the obvious is a coping mechanism

I will definitely add this to words of wisdom. Some people just want to be antagonistic on every comment. The facts are naked bare. A person will be earning 15 dollars a day and be claiming he is above average not knowing he is living on the poverty line sef.
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 10:55pm On Aug 31, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
She is just one of those Twitter noisemakers and a clout-chaser. Don't forget of all her expenses, she complained most about the price of food. She lived extravagantly and tried to pass it off as if anyone living in Nigeria needs minimum N1m per month to survive. People are living well on N200k monthly salary.
If you go to Manhattan, New York and blow $10k in a month, don't turn around and wonder how US citizens live comfortably with less than that amount in a month. They do. She is using Twitter for what many people use it for--exaggerated narratives.
/
People are MANAGING on a N200k salary
Especially those with families
Is it not this same Nigeria that I am in ?

Let's do a quick analogy
A man and wife earn a joint income of N300k monthly

This same family has three kids
How in the hell are you gonna give your family a befitting lifestyle on this income?
Maybe 5 to 6 years ago this was a decent income (by Nigerian standard)
But with the way devaluation and inflation have eaten the value of the naira
It's not that much

Putting your kids in decent schools will take a bite off that income
Rent in a decent area will also do it's own damage
Paying of black tax (we have a high dependence ratio in this failed country) is also there
High cost of transport
Cooking quality meals for this family of 5
Medical Bill's and drugs
Data subscription,
Cable tv
Electricity bill, running of gen and repairing the gen
Taking the kids out occasionally for recreation?
How much will remain

People just cope with the incomes they are getting
And its not a bad thing
But saying they are living fine is a cop out

1 Like

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by RodgersAkpafu: 11:01pm On Aug 31, 2021
Romangalactic:

Silly uppity opoinion.cheesy U prolly tink u live beta Dan 3/4 of all naijans right? stop using d livin condition of ur parent &siblings in Imo 2 judge d rest of naijans.

Is Der an house in d entire mbiase dat cost up to million 4rent? don't pple still live conforthably der? Or everyone have to live in VI & lekki b4 dey can b conforthable in ur eyes
U wee just open mouth waaa & b typin rugbish.
What kind of ret@rded comment is this?
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by InvertedHammer: 3:45am On Sep 01, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

People are MANAGING on a N200k salary
Especially those with families
Is it not this same Nigeria that I am in ?

Let's do a quick analogy
A man and wife earn a joint income of N300k monthly

This same family has three kids
How in the hell are you gonna give your family a befitting lifestyle on this income?
Maybe 5 to 6 years ago this was a decent income (by Nigerian standard)
But with the way devaluation and inflation have eaten the value of the naira
It's not that much

Putting your kids in decent schools will take a bite off that income
Rent in a decent area will also do it's own damage
Paying of black tax (we have a high dependence ratio in this failed country) is also there
High cost of transport
Cooking quality meals for this family of 5
Medical Bill's and drugs
Data subscription,
Cable tv
Electricity bill, running of gen and repairing the gen
Taking the kids out occasionally for recreation?
How much will remain

People just cope with the incomes they are getting
And its not a bad thing
But saying they are living fine is a cop out
/
The lady went to Nigeria alone.
/
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by InvertedHammer: 3:50am On Sep 01, 2021
cococandy:

Yea staying in a hotel (if it’s a good one) might be considered extravagant.

My point is that what we consider “comfortable” in Nigeria could just be bare minimum in other places. So was it truly truly extravagant or was she trying to live at a standard that the rest of the world considers fairly normal.
Between rent/lease in a good and safe neighborhood, transportation, uninterrupted power supply and nutritious meals, she could spend close to that much before adding miscellaneous expenses

Yes, I would also love to see a break down of how she spent the money. I’m interested in knowing the true state of things right now.
/
Perhaps she should show us where she lives in UK. There are poor places in UK too. She could have spent N10m a month in Nigeria by choice. But there is no need lamenting about it like it is normal.
If she chose to wash down her lunch with a bottle of Don Perignon every day, is that normal?
/
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by 1stExplorer: 4:02am On Sep 01, 2021
I see a lot of people complaining about going out in Lagos being expensive and how expensive Lagos restaurants are!
Well guys I’m a Lagos Restaurant reviewer. You can check me out on YouTube and see some really affordable restaurants you can visit in Lagos and not be scared of the bill. Good and affordable restaurants o!
Kindly click on the link to my YouTube channel! You would come back and thank me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLxf8Wa9eM
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 01, 2021
slowice:
That's is why we only eat garri and soup, rice and beans then spag and indomie. As a Nigerian, you can't afford daily balance diet(proper meals) for a family of 6 even if you earn a million monthly. You will definitely go bankrupt.

The worst is someone will still be shouting sai barber after drinking garri without sugar. Suffering and smiling people full dis country.

Some certify odes are already packaging atiku and Tinubu for next election. Imagine the stupidity?
The stupidity and selfishness is beyond human imagination
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Timmi: 12:01pm On Sep 01, 2021
WeNoGoDie:

She spent according to her personal standard of living. She knows what she used to spend formerly before now else she won't complain.

I am in Nigeria and I know what I used to spend before and what I spend now.

Generally we all know how much things used to cost before this regime and how much they cost now.

Its that simple Oga.

By the way, I also live in Nigeria and have been since 2019 after staying in the US for 38-years as a professional. I know the cost of living in both countries and for someone to say that she spends $5000 in 2-months in Nigeria? Impossible but because she said negative things about our country, we believe her as if it’s gospel truth. Always question people’s motive young man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Myke99: 7:17pm On Sep 01, 2021
Sunnybay7:
If you didn't have up to 2.5milli you would have still survived, nobody has actually died of hunger in this country. They might not eat what they like but I have not heard of death as a result of hunger so please tone down your lies.

Person Dey tell you how much him spend for food, u say Na lie. Na everybody poor like u
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by WeNoGoDie(m): 10:01am On Sep 02, 2021
Timmi:

By the way, I also live in Nigeria and have been since 2019 after staying in the US for 38-years as a professional. I know the cost of living in both countries and for someone to say that she spends $5000 in 2-months in Nigeria? Impossible but because she said negative things about our country, we believe her as if it’s gospel truth. Always question people’s motive young man.

Abeg Shift!! Keep denying stark reality because you support APC. Your next reply will want to deny affiliation to APC as usual.
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 05, 2021
Sunnybay7:

True you can make it in Nigeria too,but to spend that on maintaining yourself in just two months is extremely high.

You will know how it feels when you make your first million.

1 million naira is only 2000+ dollars. 1 month 1 week's rent in Europe.

So not becos you can't spend it on yourself, someone else can't. Most people that come back home spend way more than that if you don't know

What you deem gold could be brass to another man

1 Like

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by tunde300us(m): 6:42pm On Sep 05, 2021
What ppl consider comfortable is relative ohh, u need to see the house some stay in the UK Borrowed govt resources and child benefit na im some dey live on in the UK and they come to Lagos and abuse you wey dey build ur second house and yet some Nigerians agree with them.
The exchange rate is good when u change it but bro u need to make your own world and stop living on someone else When you get the opportunity to go UK or other places in the world please go and make a life of it, but please stop telling us here we are not comfortable. No be 6x6 bed max u go sleep? some cant even stand AC they will be thinking of canada or australia , oga u no go baff for months....

Almost 50 ppl die sadly from the flood yday in NY , if na lagos we no go hear word some go say nigeria is cursed , some go say na zoee, oya now NY ........make una talk
Our earning and spending power is messed up YES but no be to tell me a family that jointly earns 300k wont live a decent life is a big LIE, maybe u say they can't survive in LEKKI i go believe am

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by Chuky7(m): 11:47am On Sep 14, 2021
Cokahot:
While me,it costs me 200$ monthly expenses and through out this month,I no see even 100$ pick. But I know say be Sept,client go pay me my 5k. I never bomb in 3 weeks due to nature of my business. But asai dey,my bills deh pile up. I need at least 3000$ to take see front on and before Sept middle o. Abeg o. Life is damn expensive here o

No vex abeg...where you dey carry bomb or which format u dey use

I b learner I just dey start. help a bro out I no go disturb u.
Re: "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman by XAUBulls: 9:34pm On Apr 28, 2023
BigDawsNet:

It's possible when you lodge in Eko hotel or The George Lagos Hotel

It's a 5 Star hotel and suites...what do you expect??
Indeed... Or staying in high-end shortlet apartments while having a high taste for expensive food and drinks.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Train Hits A Toyota Camry In Mushin, Lagos (Photos) / Fajuyi Park Ado-Ekiti Beautiful night View / Mandla Maseko Dies In Bike Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.