Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents (23046 Views)

One Year On, Weekly Sit-At-Home Brings South-East Economy To Its Knees / Osun State Government Suspends Weekly Markets / New Taxes, Charges Buhari Govt Has Imposed On Nigerians Since 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 12:32pm On Aug 31, 2021
Kaduna residents, on Tuesday, kicked against the ban of weekly markets in five local government areas of the State.

They described it as a death penalty imposed on them for voting the APC-led Governnent in the state

Recall that the state government on Monday said it had banned the weekly markets in Birnin Gwari, Kajuru, Chikun, Igabi and Giwa local governments.

The Goverment said the decision was taken after it reviewed security situation in the state.

But many residents who spoke to DAILY POST in Kaduna on Tuesday kicked against the ban.

Some said the Government banned the market in order to starve people to death since many relied on weekly markets to survive.

Others who were amazed over the ban said if bandits could move from house to house, room to rooms in the night, killing and kidnapping people, banning weekly markets would not stop security threat in the state.

A resident of Birnin Gwari LGA, Alhaji Ibrahim Danladi, who was not comfortable with the decision, narrated how the weekly markets helped him to train his children and provided an opportunity for him to interact with numerous businessmen.

“Banning weekly markets will not stop kidnappers from attacking us.

“Kidnappers move from one point to another, kill, kidnap and destroy houses unchallenged. What effect does banning weekly markets have on them? Nothing.

“I am a businessman, buying and selling all kind of foodstuffs. I move from one weekly market to another within the 23 LGA every week. I interact with different people, exchange business ideas.

“Most times, I made brisky profit. From what I earned as profit, I have trained my five children. Although they are yet to be employed, I still use the money I earn from the market business to feed them. I have built two bedrooms, bought car, and presently, I planned to carry out another building project before the ban,” he said.

A farmer who stays in Igabi Local Government area of the state, Murtala Dansokoto told DAILY POST that the ban had dealt a wicked blow on his family.

“I take my farm produce to sell in Kajuru market. From the sales, I buy food and ingridients for my family. I plant cassava, but, I cannot eat cassava alone,” he lamented.

In Kajuru LGA, Mrs. Jummai Nasir said, “as a widow who has no other means of livelihood, it’s going to be tough for me. I feed my children through buying from one market, and I take it to another market following week, and sell. The profit I make is used to pay my children’s school fees, cloth them, and buy text books. Now, it’s going to be difficult”

Mr. Usman Ademu who resides in Igabi said, “In Kaduna State, no factory is working. Workers are being discharged from work because of lack of market for their products. No new company is in operation.

“The state government has retrenched workers in various ministries and departments. Their benefits were not paid. People are dying on daily basis. Now, the remaining people who are managing their lives through buying and selling in the weekly markets, were banned by the government. It means the government is imposing death penalty on them.”

https://dailypost.ng/2021/08/31/ban-on-weekly-markets-kaduna-govt-has-imposes-death-penalty-on-us-residents/?

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2021
Death penalty ke. North is very safe now. I can see violent demonstrations loading in Katsina. Dividend of choosing cluelessness and Ba turechi!

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by mushroomFarm: 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
People on this forum usually imply that this country is going the Taliban way....

9 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by GRACETOLIVE(f): 12:42pm On Aug 31, 2021
mushroomFarm:
People on this forum usually imply that this country is going the Taliban way....

It might actually be true.

43 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2021
Mr. Usman Ademu who resides in Igabi said, “In Kaduna State, no factory is working. Workers are being discharged from work because of lack of market for their products. No new company is in operation.

“The state government has retrenched workers in various ministries and departments. Their benefits were not paid. People are dying on daily basis. Now, the remaining people who are managing their lives through buying and selling in the weekly markets, were banned by the government. It means the governnent is imposing death penalty on them.”.

Hope Southern governors, especially Lagos, Oyo and Ogun can see reason for the influx to their states and they are doing Ponti Pilates all about.

32 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Nbotee(m): 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2021
Do these bandits and gunmen only attack villagers and communities in their markets and on market days?? Bandits spend hours going from house to house and village to village to kill and destroy but yet the govt believes banning weekly markets in those southern Kaduna areas will curtail the attacks??

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2021
GRACETOLIVE:

It might actually be true.

It is the Truth!. Lalasticlala.

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Totilopussylick(m): 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2021
If the bandits / herdmen could go house to house killing and kidnapping people, banning the market from operations cannot stop the insecurities within the evirons.

True talk.

The govt need to apply another system.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Totilopussylick(m): 12:53pm On Aug 31, 2021
mushroomFarm:
People on this forum usually imply that this counytry is going the Taliban way....
Only if time is on their side.

Come 2023 if Nigerians never learn from this jihad led govt will they repeat same mistake by voting in another terrorist in disguise..
Your voters ID your power!

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by mushroomFarm: 12:54pm On Aug 31, 2021
Totilopussylick:
Only if time is on their side.

Come 2023 if Nigerians never learn from this jihad led govt will they repeat same mistake by voting in another terrorist in disguise..
Your voters ID your power!

Boss do you still believe in the voting system we have in this country?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Sunnybay7: 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2021
What alternative is in place to substitute the ban,cos am sure some people's only means of survival is the weekly market.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 1:45pm On Aug 31, 2021
Totilopussylick:
If the bandits / herdmen could go house to house killing and kidnapping people, banning the market from operations cannot stop the insecurities within the evirons.

True talk.

Now Masari will make Funtua road deadly now. Sometimes I used to ask myself, where did we miss it in Nigeria. Is not same Nigeria we grew up. We travel to Kano, Kaduna, Niger, no phone then, but your parents will be assurred you will arrive safely. Not now, everyone will be monitoring with phone calls every hour to be sure you have arrived.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2021
Totilopussylick:

True talk.

Do they understand governance; those they have rendered jobless, penniless and futureless will now be ready recruits and tools for boko haram and bandits. Our leaders have zero capacity to think through!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 1:54pm On Aug 31, 2021
HonNL, people are complaning already about what you posted earlier on Katsina shutting roads and markets.
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Sirjamo: 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2021
Weekly markets are not the only markets where you can do your trading.

Everyday, we accuse the government of not doing enough, when they try new method, we criticize.

The masses in the north have their own share of the cause of insecurity in the region, someone who hardly earn up to 50k monthly will have two wives and eight children, some of them are the bandits and kidnappers we are battling today.

7 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 2:18pm On Aug 31, 2021
Sirjamo:
Weekly markets are not the only markets where you can do your trading.

Everyday, we accuse the government of not doing enough, when they try new method, we criticize.

The masses in the north have their own share of the cause of insecurity in the region, someone who hardly earn up to 50k monthly will have two wives and eight children, some of them are the bandits and kidnappers we are battling today.

Name the other markets. Alagba Jamo, how many wife (ves) do you have? Is government and religion ready to address this abnormality?
If they are gainfully employed, they will not talk about weekly markets.

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2021
Sunnybay7:
What alternative is in place to substitute the ban,cos am sure some people's only means of survival is the weekly market.

Sirjamo said they should find alternatives. Latter when they joined criminals, we will be looking for money to buy ammunition to flush them out.

5 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by mytime24(f): 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2021
Nawa
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 2:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
Lalasticlala.
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2021
mytime24:
Nawa

Nawa seriously!
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by iwaeda: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2021
A farmer who stays in Igabi Local Government area of the state, Murtala Dansokoto told DAILY POST that the ban had dealt a wicked blow on his family.
If buhari contest tomorrow, he will still have landslide victory.

4 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by tunwumi: 5:30pm On Aug 31, 2021
Gengen
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by asobo1: 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2021
Short man devil is at it again.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by SecretReporter(f): 5:31pm On Aug 31, 2021
F
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by arthurwillia(m): 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2021
Mehn abeg na to enter Cameroon remain now for me

1 Like

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2021
Ladies and gentlemen, be ready for the children of Kongo Jew, children of hate and hypocrisy!

IPOB have been flogging their parents who disobey their sit at home orders on Mondays. They won't see that one and will angry tell you off if you complain, or tell you to mind your business.

IPOB threatened to behead anyone found opening shops, to me that's also a death penalty

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Cascky: 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2021
Nawa o grin
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by Princeton92(m): 5:33pm On Aug 31, 2021
So why can't they impose death penalty on corruption?
Re: Ban On Weekly Markets: Kaduna Govt Has Imposed Death Penalty On Us – Residents by temitope27(m): 5:33pm On Aug 31, 2021
Hell rufai is a terrorist

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Killings In Abeokuta: “Warn Your Children” – Dapo Abiodun Talks Tough / Sanwo-Olu Visits Apongbon To Inspect Damage Caused By Fire Around Eko-Bridge / PDP Cancels Presidential Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.