Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,387 members, 7,819,396 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK (4294 Views)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2021
DrLevi:

Thanks, I truly appreciate.

If you wouldn't mind, can you share how many hours are required, stand-ups etc. I'm counting on task-based job where maximum flexibility is allowed provided the tasks for the week are completed. I doubt companies are these flexible.

I would love to know what a normal day working remote feels like, it'll help me plan better.
Las Las I might just stick to freelancing grin

P.S I can send a mail you don feel comfortable sharing some stuff here

So I work full time as an "Independent Contractor". Standard 8 hours with two paid 10-mins breaks. Lunch is for 1 hr and is unpaid. I guess task-based jobs would work for you. Just haven't tried my hands on them to know how they work. Freelance didn't quite work for me as the income was fairly unpredictable and irregular. Might go back to have a look at them again.

Normal work day can vary depending on roles. I'm working Technical Support so I'm fielding calls almost all day and jumping on tickets to resolve them. It's a bit of a niche market I work in supporting Voice Communications for multiple clients that my employers support

3 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

So I work full time as an "Independent Contractor". Standard 8 hours with two paid 10-mins breaks. Lunch is for 1 hr and is unpaid. I guess task-based jobs would work for you. Just haven't tried my hands on them to know how they work. Freelance didn't quite work for me as the income was fairly unpredictable and irregular. Might go back to have a look at them again.

Normal work day can vary depending on roles. I'm working Technical Support so I'm fielding calls almost all day and jumping on tickets to resolve them. It's a bit of a niche market I work in supporting Voice Communications for multiple clients that my employers support
Are you doing all of these from Nigeria?
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 8:03pm On Sep 01, 2021
SageX1444:
Are you doing all of these from Nigeria?

Hahahahaha...ehen nau.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

8 hours of constant work would wreck me cry grin
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It was truly educating.

Na to wait for devs to add one or two before making a decision. I feel US time zone would be great for me though. I can code at night and school all day. So many things to consider cry
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 9:21pm On Sep 01, 2021
DrLevi:

8 hours of constant work would wreck me cry grin
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It was truly educating.

Na to wait for devs to add one or two before making a decision. I feel US time zone would be great for me though. I can code at night and school all day. So many things to consider cry

I'm on PST timezone. Looking for something in Europe/UK so I go just know say Na 8am to midnight be my work hours. No matter how I try to sleep late, once 7am to 8am knack here, my eye don open like tortoise. Currently trying to get back into programming so I spend most of my mornings on C++ or Python. Been looking at Fortran lately too lol. Yeah I know Fortran is old and all that but it's a niche. And I actually enjoy coding in Fortran as well.

2 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

I'm on PST timezone. Looking for something in Europe/UK so I go just know say Na 8am to midnight be my work hours. No matter how I try to sleep late, once 7am to 8am knack here, my eye don open like tortoise. Currently trying to get back into programming so I spend most of my mornings on C++ or Python. Been looking at Fortran lately too lol. Yeah I know Fortran is old and all that but it's a niche. And I actually enjoy coding in Fortran as well.
Make tensazangetsu20 no catch you with C++, python and Fortran wey you dey mention cheesy
Truth be told though, I doubt any of those guys are valuable in the modern market aside for legacy system and other none mainstream apps. I could be wrong though.
that's if you're looking to make money from programming and not just for fun

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 10:12pm On Sep 01, 2021
DrLevi:

Make tensazangetsu20 no catch you with C++, python and Fortran wey you dey mention cheesy
Truth be told though, I doubt any of those guys are valuable in the modern market aside for legacy system and other none mainstream apps. I could be wrong though.
that's if you're looking to make money from programming and not just for fun

Python is big in Data Science. Fortran is big in Scientific computing.

C++ is huge in gaming and Operating System development. Device drivers that enable your hardware function on your computer na ReactJS u wan use code am? Nobi everything be frontend, backend and full stack. Those wey ready to do all those are fine to do them. But there's more the Software engineering than a these new generation full stack languages

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by frankfab(m): 6:57am On Sep 02, 2021
Please I need someone to mentor me, I'm a beginner frontend developer. I just started learning REACT. I'm open to relocating for internship, in-house training or mentorship.

3 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 02, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Python is big in Data Science. Fortran is big in Scientific computing.

C++ is huge in gaming and Operating System development. Device drivers that enable your hardware function on your computer na ReactJS u wan use code am? Nobi everything be frontend, backend and full stack. Those wey ready to do all those are fine to do them. But there's more the Software engineering than a these new generation full stack languages
You're right, forgive my oversight.

Why fortran though? Planning on going into scientific computing?
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 11:42am On Sep 02, 2021
DrLevi:

You're right, forgive my oversight.

Why fortran though? Planning on going into scientific computing?

Why Fortran? Hmmm. Okay I'm a bit of a looney. So in Uni year 2, we had a course called Scientific Programming I believe. Dreaded course and notorious for massive carry over. It was Fortran Programming. I made a pact with my self that I can carry any other course o. But never Fortran. NEVER. So I decided to "die there". I studied that course and Language in depth. In fact I became so good that my course mates will just wait for me to finish programming and copy/paste my work. The smart ones would change variable names but most would just copy/paste. The lecturer was always incensed because the whole class were getting the assignments even though in the classes none could write code on the board. I didn't know that the man was doing some real underground investigation. On exam day the whole class had formed formation and reserved seat for No 10 (me) believing that the man did not know who was supplying the code. As I walked in with my goons make we siddon take formation that's how the man called me "Airsaylongcome, where ever you plan to seat today forget about it, you are not seating there. You will write your exam in my office while everyone else will write here." The carryover was bad mehn. People did not even bother reading (80% couldn't code). In the Instructors office, I had one on one invigilation. I just laughed. Na me bring compiler and IDE give my course mates o!

So yeah that's my story behind Fortran. I had long forgotten about Fortran until my recent hunt for Remote jobs when I stumbled across some programming openings for Scientific research requiring knowledge of Fortran. Some starting from $86k per annum. Truth be told I'm from the old school of programming. I struggle to wrap my head around all these new stacks and fancy frontend UI/UX stuff that is the trend today. Most of the languages I'm getting back to learn don't need all those fancy stuff. For me, it's get the job done then maybe we can wear it clothes later

5 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 3:01pm On Sep 02, 2021
[Hiring] Remote freelance Python Django work with day-rate compensation (~$200-$350/day) + professional/entrepreneurial mentorship

Coder here who needs some help with a bunch of projects I'm working on:

* an interactive museum exhibition where on-site hardware communicates with our servers via web-sockets
* a system to grab all the open-data for various types of tourist attractions. Lots of scraper and data merging work
* automation of car damage reports (DRF + image libraries + bit of machine learning)

For anyone curious about who you'll be working with, I'm a programmer myself (\~12 years experience) looking to provide fun and challenging work as well as professional/entrepreneurial mentorship to help you grow. I have some videos on YouTube about my approach to coding and indie hacking. E.g. watch me vim here [
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=futay9NjOac](
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=futay9NjOac)

**Bonus Skills (not expected, but if you have them, definitely mention them)**

* Experience with React Native
* Experience with React
* Can read/write/or speak German

**Other stuff**

* Remote obviously fine.
* Clear written communication important.
* Pay is \~$200-$350/day depending on seniority.
* We need someone who has at least 2.5 days a week capacity (or can scale up to that reasonably soon).

If you're interested, **PM me with links to your GitHub/blog/Upwork reviews/anywhere else you show your coding and communication skills online**.

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhire/comments/pgf6uw/hiring_remote_freelance_python_django_work_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I thought to share this freelance opening I came across on reddit.

I AM NOT THE ONE HIRING SO DON'T MESSAGE ME FOR FURTHER INFO. IF YOU ARE ON REDDIT AND BELIEVE YOU CAN DO THE JOB, REACH OUT TO THE PERSON ON REDDIT. NOTE THAT IT WILL BE DIFFICULT REACHING THE POSTER IF YOU HAVE JUST CREATED A NEW ACCOUNT AS MOST PEOPLE WILL CHECK YOUR POST HISTORY BEFORE RESPONDING TO YOU.

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 9:49pm On Sep 02, 2021
Update: So i just completed the tests about 20 minutes ago. Javascript algorithm 3.5 hours. out of 5 questions, i got 4 perfectly. the last one, not really sure. Chatted with the Co-Founder right after i finished and he sent me a blushing emoji Lol! Lets see whats gonna happen.

So what i've decided is to try to run the 2 jobs together if the 2nd one comes through. they're both in the Uk.

PS: i've got a couple of people sending me mails. Abeg no vex i wont be able to reply those mails for personal reasons.

I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

9 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Felixitie(m): 9:55pm On Sep 02, 2021
ReactJs:
Update: So i just completed the tests about 20 minutes ago. Javascript algorithm 3.5 hours. out of 5 questions, i got 4 perfectly. the last one, not really sure. Chatted with the Co-Founder right after i finished and he sent me a blushing emoji Lol! Lets see whats gonna happen.

So what i've decided is to try to run the 2 jobs together if the 2nd one comes through. they're both in the Uk and i'm looking at over 4million naira per month combined from the 2 jobs. not even sure i'm ready for that kind of money!

PS: i've got a couple of people sending me mails. Abeg no vex i wont be able to reply those mails for personal reasons.

Good luck bro!
Good opportunity, grab it with all strength. It means your current job doesn’t offer 50% of the new job you about to secure!
I wish you well
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by 4dor: 10:12pm On Sep 02, 2021
ReactJs:

So what i've decided is to try to run the 2 jobs together if the 2nd one comes through. they're both in the Uk and i'm looking at over 4million naira per month combined from the 2 jobs. not even sure i'm ready for that kind of money!

You're ready for that money.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by longlife101: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2021
ReactJs:

So what i've decided is to try to run the 2 jobs together if the 2nd one comes through. they're both in the Uk.

It will be nice if you can share tips on helpful LinkedIn profile, or how your LinkedIn profile look? -any heads up?
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 10:52pm On Sep 02, 2021
longlife101:
It will be nice if you can share tips on helpful LinkedIn profile, or how your LinkedIn profile look? -any heads up?

Nothing Serious bro. i've got my picture, name, contact info and job history and github link. i don't have BSc so education is out of it. plus i'm a premium user. cant remember how much i pay.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by longlife101: 8:32am On Sep 03, 2021
ReactJs:

Nothing Serious bro. i've got my picture, name, contact info and job history and github link. i don't have BSc so education is out of it. plus i'm a premium user. cant remember how much i pay.
Great.

What will you say if one already have LinkedIn profile in another "completely" different field of job, say Environment, will you suggest creating different profile for programming or adding same to current profile?
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 03, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Why Fortran? Hmmm. Okay I'm a bit of a looney. So in Uni year 2, we had a course called Scientific Programming I believe. Dreaded course and notorious for massive carry over. It was Fortran Programming. I made a pact with my self that I can carry any other course o. But never Fortran. NEVER. So I decided to "die there". I studied that course and Language in depth. In fact I became so good that my course mates will just wait for me to finish programming and copy/paste my work. The smart ones would change variable names but most would just copy/paste. The lecturer was always incensed because the whole class were getting the assignments even though in the classes none could write code on the board. I didn't know that the man was doing some real underground investigation. On exam day the whole class had formed formation and reserved seat for No 10 (me) believing that the man did not know who was supplying the code. As I walked in with my goons make we siddon take formation that's how the man called me "Airsaylongcome, where ever you plan to seat today forget about it, you are not seating there. You will write your exam in my office while everyone else will write here." The carryover was bad mehn. People did not even bother reading (80% couldn't code). In the Instructors office, I had one on one invigilation. I just laughed. Na me bring compiler and IDE give my course mates o!

So yeah that's my story behind Fortran. I had long forgotten about Fortran until my recent hunt for Remote jobs when I stumbled across some programming openings for Scientific research requiring knowledge of Fortran. Some starting from $86k per annum. Truth be told I'm from the old school of programming. I struggle to wrap my head around all these new stacks and fancy frontend UI/UX stuff that is the trend today. Most of the languages I'm getting back to learn don't need all those fancy stuff. For me, it's get the job done then maybe we can wear it clothes later
Omo, you and Fortran get nice history. I expected it would have gone beyond that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your comeback. I don tire to dey see only frontend-backend devs
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Tolzy11(m): 3:16pm On Sep 04, 2021
ReactJs:

True true school na scam .
Happy for you Bro, what God can't do doesn't exist .
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Collinsanele: 4:01pm On Sep 04, 2021
ReactJs:
So this afternoon around past 3, got a notification from LinkedIn that so and so wanted to connect. I checked out the profile and it happened to be a Co-Founder of a betting platform in the UK. I reluctantly accepted sha as per wetin i dey find again.

So he sent me a direct message about how they’re in need of a backend developer and i happen to be a good fit. I quickly checkout their website to see what they’re really about. Found out that they’re pretty big as they have clients like betway, live scores bet lion etc so i started to take him serious.

Long story short, he asked for my salary expectations. It was there and then i remember what happened to me from the previous thread i posted couple of weeks. Something a guy from the thread stuck with me, so having nothing to lose, i asked him what the company’s budget is for the role, he said it’s competitive.

So i said for me to consider it competitive, He would have to pay me a minimum of 4500 pounds monthly, which he didn’t even argue!

He said he’s gonna send some tests over then we would hop on a call. But here’s the issues , i just started at a new role for a company in the UK and i kind of like my current teammates. We’re getting along really well and i feel it’s going to look awkward and somehow leaving after barely spending 3 weeks.

If you were in my shoes what would you do ?

If your current job's pay is atleast okay, then, don't leave your current job. Sometimes there are things like stress, work environment, good team mates, clean code base, that one has to consider before money.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by All4good: 7:36pm On Sep 04, 2021
ReactJs:

If you were in my shoes what would you do ?

You can juggle both. That's why it's remote.

Its too early in the day to negotiate a pay rise based on the new offer.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by All4good: 7:57pm On Sep 04, 2021
ReactJs:

I don’t know man. I’m confused. My current job doesn’t pay as much as these ones are willing to pay but I’ve been getting along with these guys and they’ve been treating me super nicely. My girlfriend also asked me to take this new offer

You already asked your girlfriend, so why ask us.
You know your girlfriend would leave you if you miss that £4500 every month

LOL who are you kidding. Try am, make I see grin
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by LikeAking: 12:14am On Sep 07, 2021
OP anwer my question.

What type of work are you guys doing fore these remote companies?

Are you guys coding every day?

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by jibrilELsudan: 4:08am On Sep 07, 2021
YOU ARE VERY STUPID.

DO YOU HAVE A CLAUSE IN YOUR CONTRACT WITH YOUR CURRENT COMPANY THAT MANDATES THAT YOU HAVE TO BE IN EMPLOYMENT WITH THEM FOR A CERTAIN PERIOD OF TIME BEFORE LEAVING THE JOB?

IF NOT THEN FINALIZE WITH THIS PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER AND HAVE A BINDING CONTRACT WITH THEM IN WRITING AND SIGNED THEN GIVE A 3 WEEKS RESIGNATION NOTICE TO YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER.

KEEP ON HAVING EMMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT WITH YOUR COLLEAGUES AND YOU WILL NOT PROGRESS IN YOUR JOB.

EVEN THIS CEO WILL DROP THAT HIS JOB LIKE IT HAS CORONA IF RIGHT NOW ELON MUSK SHOULD OFFER HIM A LEADING ROLE IN HIS COMPANY.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by genaro2000(m): 8:48pm On Jul 05, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Chai I just remembered doing this FORTRAN 14 or 15 years ago or so, I really loved the language. Basic,FORTRAN and COBOL.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by LikeAking: 11:30pm On Jul 05, 2022
Lies!

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 06, 2022
LikeAking:
Lies!
grin
I'm yet to see a UK company hire someone who doesn't pass their online test. grin
I mean not 4/5 pass oh
Must be 5/5
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by jesmond3945: 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2022
ReactJs:

what kind of questions were asked?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodbye Java! / I Need Help On C / Need Programmers Help Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.