Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action (14181 Views)

We Will Review Appeal Court’s Ruling, Decide On Next Action – ASUU / ASUU UPDATE: ASUU Hold Crucial Meeting, The Strike May Be Extended / Strike: FG, ASUU Hold Another Crucial Meeting Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Gamer999: 6:24am On Sep 01, 2021
Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have asked Nigerians to hold the Federal Government responsible for their next action on government’s failure to honour an agreement it signed with them.

ASUU spoke of a plan to hold an emergency National Executive Council (NEC) this week with its leaders and principal officials to decide its members’ next line of action. The union said it will follow-up its NEC meeting with consultations with all its chapters should the government fail to implement its promises to his aggrieved lecturers.

ASUU’s latest threat followed the expiration of the August 31 deadline issued to the Federal Government to meet its demands.

The Federal Government has not spoken on the latest agitations by the varsity teachers
Labour and Employment Dr. Chris Ngige again could be reached for reaction as the several calls placed to his mobile phone last night were not returned.

ASUU President Emmanuel Osodeke said the NEC would convene to weigh available options and take a position.

The lecturers called off their eight-month strike in December last year after ASUU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government.

After several complaints of breach of agreement, the federal government team, led by Ngige, met with the lecturers on August 2 to review the level of implementation of the MoU.

Ngige said the Federal Government, through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will release N30 billion as revitalisation fund to universities the following week. Osodeke however accused the government of failing to release the money and implement other agreements after the August meeting.

He alleged government officials have stopped picking calls from ASUU leaders.

Prof Osodeke said: “ASUU never proposed a strike, we said if government does not meet all our demands by the end of August, the union will meet and consider the action to take.

“But the country should hold the government responsible for any action we take and that was what we said we didn’t mention embarking on strike.

“The ASUU president cannot just wake up one morning and pronounce we are going on strike not even the principal officers, we have to go through our branches.
“The ultimatum will end today so we will hold a meeting with our members to determine the way forward.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/hold-govt-responsible-for-our-next-action-says-ASUU/amp/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Ebus991(m): 6:34am On Sep 01, 2021
Not again!!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Lawlab249: 6:45am On Sep 01, 2021
ok
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by expertman(m): 6:58am On Sep 01, 2021
Hmmmm

I don't know why ASUU is giving themselves wahala like this.

They should know by now that this useless government doesn't like the educated ones hence the problem.

They hate education all they want is ruga .

May all this useless old fools due a sudden death in Jesus name

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by HeadNigga: 7:02am On Sep 01, 2021
Wetin sef...make nobody buy jamb form again, those in school should withdraw, those that have graduated should burn their certificates after all, you only need O'level to be president.

This country jokes with education. Now the money that should have been channeled to the sector is used in funding anti terrorism wars

10 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Xcellente10(m): 7:02am On Sep 01, 2021
A
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Authoreety: 7:02am On Sep 01, 2021
This country is now a laughing stock under the most hopelessly useless govt

4 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Kirchoffs: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2021
Thank God say I don graduate, this country is in a mess. My heart goes out to the students.

8 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Okortor: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2021
Dis 9ja na Cruise.

FG dey cash out, ASUU too dey cash out steady.

Las las, na d poor go suffer.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by PBeni(m): 7:03am On Sep 01, 2021
Imagine..
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Bsure: 7:04am On Sep 01, 2021
if i HEAR
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 01, 2021
angry

It is 7:04am as I comment on this thread. Why? Well, I got up early to study for my Msc Dissertation defense scheduled for the 8th of September. I decided to pause and scroll through my phone.

Inasmuch as my defense may be affected by this, I'm gonna with stand with ASUU on this matter. This agreement was originally signed by FG way back in 2013 I think....that's after a lengthy midnight meeting with Jonathan. Sadly, in 2021, it is yet to be implemented in full. Very pathetic.

I've visited Associate Professors and PhD holders in their houses... there's nothing rich about these guys. They're just regular civil servants like every other person. Some are more comfortable than others though.

The labs are dilapidated. I bought everything I used during my research. The blood analysis was done in a private lab because the university did not have the facilities required to analyze the blood samples.

It is pathetic

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Adol84: 7:05am On Sep 01, 2021
The useless leaders don't give a f... They sent their children to school abroad while the education sector is decaying badly. Now, I understand what my coursemate who is a lecturer said.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by qanda: 7:06am On Sep 01, 2021
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by cenaman(m): 7:06am On Sep 01, 2021
Na new thing?
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Trentee4eva: 7:06am On Sep 01, 2021
You expect Buhari and other FG officials whose children are studying abroad to take education in Nigeria seriously.

9 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by adioolayi(m): 7:06am On Sep 01, 2021
Go on strike jare...This Government no send anyone...Make everyone strike!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Bsure: 7:07am On Sep 01, 2021
Gamer999:

“But the country should hold the government responsible for any action we take and that was what we said we didn’t mention embarking on strike.

If not strike then what will the next action be. It's just pity that FG will not act now... until 2months after the strike. We are just on our own in this country.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Nuelito: 7:08am On Sep 01, 2021
This country matter big pass Zuma rock
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Iamnotfearyou: 7:08am On Sep 01, 2021
Are they striking for students to have free and neat hostels,are they striking to make school free for Nigerian students?if not damn them,for how long will they destroy our future while we watch even after paying them hugely to lecture us and they don't care that we still have to pay landlords again and again for a wasted period......it is time we protest against them took

5 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Codeye(m): 7:08am On Sep 01, 2021
Hmm... Government ASUU
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by mrsteel: 7:10am On Sep 01, 2021
Haba
Govt should give these people the money nau!
Why are we black people like this? Too selfish!
Govt spend billions on worthless projects, but has been stringing ASUU along for the past how many years? Na the same God wey create white people also create black so? Our mind is something else!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by techWriter1: 7:10am On Sep 01, 2021
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Louisananda7(m): 7:10am On Sep 01, 2021
The federal government are not the only ones to be held responsible, ASUU should go and sit down, they are all useless. Corrupt people.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by money121(m): 7:10am On Sep 01, 2021
Ok
Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Ellegacy(m): 7:11am On Sep 01, 2021
Has ASUU ever thought of taking court actions??

Strike is the only thing they know.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Sirjamo: 7:11am On Sep 01, 2021
When they announced that NNPC has made 285 billion naira profit, I knew ASUU will want to take 284 from it, useless, greedy lecturers.

Other countries academics are researching and producing COVID 19 remedies, this ones cannot do anything other than teaching outdated syllabus and sleeping with girls for marks.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:11am On Sep 01, 2021
ASUU and FG........

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Emmy3(m): 7:12am On Sep 01, 2021
Senator Dino Melaye is richer than the whole staff of UNIBEN put together.
ASUU demand is estimated at N30B; yet N37B was used to renovate NASS that's magnificent more than UNILAG.
..... Resident Doctors are also on strike whereas Aso Rock clinic budget more than that of all the federal teaaching hospitals combined when he still embark on foreign medical tourism.
Curse be upon anyone supporting these evil terrorists.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU: Hold Govt Responsible For Our Next Action by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:12am On Sep 01, 2021
Strike or no strike what different does it hold

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FEC Approves 3 New Universities For Northern Nigeria / No Evidence Of Full Vaccination No Entry To Our Facility - JAMB / Is There Any University That Can Give Admission To Her Second Choice Candidate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.