Stats: 3,194,399 members, 7,954,579 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? (554 Views)

Fubara Plotting To Demolish Our Official Residence, Pro-Wike Speaker Amaewhule / 'Our Official Response To Olusegun Obasanjo' - Kayode Ogundamisi Shares Video / Question: Why Can't We Campaign For One Of These Younger Minds? (2) (3) (4)

Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Mangekyo: 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2021
I've been thinking about this since I've been a kid. I've never enquired from someone why we haven't done this. And then today, it just came into my mind to ask it here today.

Well before I do, I want all of you to know that Hawaii currently have their Hawaii pidgin as one of their official languages. Source-CNN

Now, there are many countries that have more than one official language: Belarus has two, Belgium has three, Switzerland has four, Cameroon has two including Cameroonian pidgin, and the list goes on.

And I wanted to ask.... Why is the pidgin English not among our official languages?
Are we really that scared of the British that we only had to officiate the language they gave to us?
I mean about 99% of ALL Nigerians can understand and speak pidgin.

The remaining 1% consists of let's just say a few persons. Especially some girls (no offense intended) who claim they can’t speak or understand pidgin mostly because of the way our society treats it, or the school they attend(ed) or where they stay, but it’s basically the mentality with some of the 99% pretending to be part of the 1%.

You should know that Some people (including me) actually pay money to see some of our comedians crack jokes in pidgin english. yet it isn't official. Basically almost EVERYONE from the north to the south understands it perfectly and yet we chose to channel all our energy on the British english. A language that many of us can’t really speak or even write properly.

Look, even the British who are the true owners of english try to keep up with the language’s growth and daily change.

I've seen so many British footballers speak English. They end up speaking it poorly.

BTW, I heard Vardy from Leicester once saying that ndidi and iheanacho used to speak pidgin in their camp and that him and some other brits would be amazed by it that they even had to ask them to teach them how to speak it.

Many countries are proud of the languages they all understand as one. Over here, the case is very different. I remember how our teachers in school back then would almost punish us sef for speaking it.

Anyway, To cut this long Epistle short, someone should answer my question. Elaborate on the reasons why our leaders decided that pigin shouldnt be official with English being our only official language.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by joyandfaith: 9:09pm On Sep 01, 2021
Tai solarin proposed this. Late prof ola rotimi was compilling encyclopaedia of nigeria pidgin English before he died.
It may contribute to unity. Each unifying factor like common language. Pidgin English can serve that purpose if it is made compulsory for all and sundry.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by FreeStuffsNG: 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2021
Why not adopt your local languages first as official language of communication like most SW states do.
Pidgin is not much different from Creole so it's not authentic.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Mangekyo: 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2021
Lalasticlala, Pls move this to Frontpage for more audience

Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by butterfly777(m): 9:19pm On Sep 01, 2021
3 Major events are going on in Nigeria:
1. Terrorist groups are attacking communities, seeking to conquer them for Islam.

2. Fulani militia are attacking communities, seeking to conquer them for the Fulani.

Both seem to have the support of the FG.

3. The FG is trying to forcefully take lands from different states and turn Fulani to natives of the states, to eventually conquer the states.

As much as they may try, all these agenda have failed in Jesus' name.

Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by wearsandtrends1: 9:25pm On Sep 01, 2021
Its not pratical because what u call a language is filtered English still

Btw oyibo dey mad o
Americans call it vernacular
While the brits call it pidgin

Just because they hate to agree
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by lilvicky68(m): 9:34pm On Sep 01, 2021
OP na pidgin you suppose use write this thing na..
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by SlayerForever: 9:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
Utter rubbish.

How many EU nations do you see making English or pidgin its national language?

How many Asian countries? Japan? China? Korea?

How many South American countries angry

We're saying the English is looking like a mistake and you're looking to add pidgin. E no go better for Lugard angry

Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by FakeUnity: 9:44pm On Sep 01, 2021
Ndi one nigeria. Mtchewww!
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by kestolove95(m): 10:07pm On Sep 01, 2021
low sef esteem
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Mangekyo: 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2021
wearsandtrends1:
Its not pratical because what u call a language is filtered English still

Btw oyibo dey mad o
Americans call it vernacular
While the brits call it pidgin

Just because they hate to agree

But the Hawaii pidgin is also filtered English, no?
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Mangekyo: 10:15pm On Sep 01, 2021
And I love the way BBC adopted the use of pidgin. Na good thing
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by BKayy: 10:17pm On Sep 01, 2021
butterfly777:
3 Major events are going on in Nigeria:
1. Terrorist groups are attacking communities, seeking to conquer them for Islam.

2. Fulani militia are attacking communities, seeking to conquer them for the Fulani.

Both seem to have the support of the FG.

3. The FG is trying to forcefully take lands from different states and turn Fulani to natives of the states, to eventually conquer the states.

As much as they may try, all these agenda have failed in Jesus' name.

So your plan to make all these things not to happen is "In Jesus Name"
Na your type Fulani Herdsmen/Bandits are praying to meet. The naive black man that is suffering from religious slavery
Pathetic
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by BKayy: 10:19pm On Sep 01, 2021
As for the OP, you Nigerians can cement your slavery to the British by permanently eradicating your language for Pidgin as the vernacular and Standard English as the official. Bunch of inferior humans.
As for us, Igbo is will be our Official and non Official language.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
It's not going to bring any unity, they will still rob people of their future
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Ayo8(m): 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2021
...All pidgin teachers in our schools will come from warri and benin.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by butterfly777(m): 6:52am On Sep 02, 2021
BKayy:

So your plan to make all these things not to happen is "In Jesus Name"
Na your type Fulani Herdsmen/Bandits are praying to meet. The naive black man that is suffering from religious slavery
Pathetic
And without knowing me, and without asking, you think prayer is the only thing I am doing about the situation? Smh

Nigerians and assumptive generalizations.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Imemine: 7:58am On Sep 02, 2021
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by AdaugoChisom(f): 8:21am On Sep 02, 2021
Pigin is a dialect in English.
Other dialect include
American English
Australia English
British English
Hong Kong English

In Igboland, we have several Igbo dialect such as
Onitsha Igbo dialect
Nsukka Igbo dialect
Asaba Igbo dialect
Agbor Igbo dialect
Ikwerre Igbo dialect
Abakkiliki Igbo dialect
Port Harcourt Igbo Dialect
Bonny Igbo dialect

So if you're to speak to someone from a dialect which is different from yours in Igbo you have to use the central dialect which all Igbo speaking individuals understand.

So there's no way you will speak pigin and someone who speak English won't understand, It doesn't need interpretation. I was expecting that major languages like Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba should be our official languages not Pigin.
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by SlayerForever: 9:08am On Sep 02, 2021
BKayy:
As for the OP, you Nigerians can cement your slavery to the British by permanently eradicating your language for Pidgin as the vernacular and Standard English as the official. Bunch of inferior humans.
As for us, Igbo is will be our Official and non Official language.

Very nonsense talk from that fellow angry
Re: Why Can't We Standardize And Make Pigin English One Of Our Official Languages? by Samunique(m): 9:17am On Sep 02, 2021
Bcs, Nigeria is yet to be truely independent !!!

Bandit Have Taken Over My Constituency, I Can't Go There– Sokoto Lawmaker Lament / Tommorrow Is Sit-at-home / Until The West And The East Learn To Speak In One Voice...nigeria Won't Change