Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,245 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers (1285 Views)

Someone Learning How To Drive With Mercedes Benz C300 In Abuja (Photo) / Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by Scot1255: 11:38am On Sep 03, 2021
I just bought a used car. His papers will expire in 12 months time. Can I use it till then or I have to do change of ownership right now?
I hate having issues with police
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by aieromon(m): 11:40am On Sep 03, 2021
Scot1255:
I just bought a used car. His papers will expire in 12 months time. Can I use it till then or I have to do change of ownership right now?

You can drive with it. Attach a receipt of purchase with signature of the seller and a witness if you like.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by Scot1255: 11:52am On Sep 03, 2021
Ok thanks

aieromon:

You can drive with it. Attach a receipt of purchase with signature of the seller and a witness if you like.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by ospreywin(m): 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2021
You can drive with it but make sure to do your change of ownership as soon as possible because some police will extort you for that. Try and get a police report and affidavit for change of ownership. Don't wait until his paper expires.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by Almaigaa: 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2021
Scot1255:

You must get a police extract to back the purchase of your Car, since it's a used Car. If not Police go chop for your hand. The Police extract won't cost you more than 2k. Ones bought a Niger used Car from Lagos and I was based in Abuja. The Car papers are complete. I only had d transaction receipt and agreement letter written by the seller, stating that he transfered the ownership me.

I serviced the Car, fuel and Zoomed to Abuja. That was my greatest mistake. For my mind I thought all was well, since d papers are not expired and every other thing was intact. When I got to Ibadan, I saw Police Men at a junction, instead of me to dodge them by taking a turn close to me, I drove towards them with full confidence. Police Chop 5k from me with abeg. They claimed I don't have any Government document, that shows that the ownership is now transferred to me. They took me to their office.

I come continue my Jorney after parting with 5k. The jorney was going smoothly till I got to a Police checkpoint close to Lokoja. The Police also asked for the same thing. I had to part with another 5k. This time I asked the Police what i was meant to do. They said I need a police extract to support the change of ownership. Or I do a change of ownership at the Court. They now request that I give them 2k so they can give me Police extract at the police station close to them. I no gree give them, I just drive go. Since I was already in the North, police for North no Dey too disturb.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by fk001(m): 7:32pm On Sep 03, 2021
Almaigaa:

You must get a police extract to back the purchase of your Car, since it's a used Car. If not Police go chop for your hand. The Police extract won't cost you more than 2k. Ones bought a Niger used Car from Lagos and I was based in Abuja. The Car papers are complete. I only had d transaction receipt and agreement letter written by the seller, stating that he transfered the ownership me.

I serviced the Car, fuel and Zoomed to Abuja. That was my greatest mistake. For my mind I thought all was well, since d papers are not expired and every other thing was intact. When I got to Ibadan, I saw Police Men at a junction, instead of me to dodge them by taking a turn close to me, I drove towards them with full confidence. Police Chop 5k from me with abeg. They claimed I don't have any Government document, that shows that the ownership is now transferred to me. They took me to their office.

I come continue my Jorney after parting with 5k. The jorney was going smoothly till I got to a Police checkpoint close to Lokoja. The Police also asked for the same thing. I had to part with another 5k. This time I asked the Police what i was meant to do. They said I need a police extract to support the change of ownership. Or I do a change of ownership at the Court. They now request that I give them 2k so they can give me Police extract at the police station close to them. I no gree give them, I just drive go. Since I was already in the North, police for North no Dey too disturb.

Bro how did you later do the change of ownership?

I based in Abuja and I bought a car that has Lagos registration, I want to do change of ownership but the VIO that is working it for me said he has to send an Email to Lagos office to check and give go ahead. It is almost 2 months already.

One mind is telling me just to ignore the change of ownership and remove the old plate number, and just do new Abuja registration.

Pls what's your input?
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by Grupo(m): 8:54pm On Sep 03, 2021
You can't just do new registration like that because the VIN of that car is already registered in the system.

Maybe the officer doing the papers for you is not sincere. I think what they normally do is to call the former owner to confirm that he really sold the car to you. The entire process of changing ownership and number plate shouldn't take more than a few days.
Re: Is It Ok To Drive With Former Owners Papers by ospreywin(m): 3:23am On Sep 04, 2021
fk001:

Bro how did you later do the change of ownership?

I based in Abuja and I bought a car that has Lagos registration, I want to do change of ownership but the VIO that is working it for me said he has to send an Email to Lagos office to check and give go ahead. It is almost 2 months already.

One mind is telling me just to ignore the change of ownership and remove the old plate number, and just do new Abuja registration.

Pls what's your input?
2 months for change of ownership? Maybe he Don kpake your money for vanishing... Change of ownership shouldn't take longer than 2-3weeks.

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Efficient Cars ,lets List And Identify Them Pls / My Nissan Car Refuse To Start / Father's Day Wishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.