Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,561 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car (12431 Views)

This ₦990k Made-In-Nigeria Keke Comes With Doors & Front/Reverse Cameras / Someone Learning How To Drive With Mercedes Benz C300 In Abuja (Photo) / ₦572m Volkner Mobil Motorhome That Comes With Hydraulic Supercar Garage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Automotive1(m): 3:22am On Aug 23, 2018

Most modern cars (except for the 4×4 SUVs, bigger vans and pickups) now come with the space-saving donut tyres instead of the normal full-sized spares tyres

They are made in order to cut cost, car weight and save space in the boot . It is preferred to the heavier standard full-size tyres which creates drag and increase in fuel consumption.

But they are not meant to be permanent replacements for the standard full-sized tyres.

They are mainly designed to be used as a spare tyre to get you to the nearest service station or local vulcaniser where the flat tyre can be fixed and reinstalled as soon as possible.

Here are a few things to note when forced to drive with a donut tyre

1)Donut spare tyre should not be driven faster than 50 mph or 80 kph. If you are forced to use it , it is best to get it replaced as soon as possible.

2) The safe air pressure recommended for the donut tyre is 60 pounds per square inch (psi). Exceeding the 60 psi may cause explosion and accident.

3)Make sure they are installed on the rear of your car since most cars weigh more in the front . Also , braking force comes mostly from the front which means the car may not stop quickly since they have very little traction .

4)Use the donut spare tyre to drive to only a short distance or about 50 miles at most since they have little tread that wears out in no time.

5)Driving on the temporary spare tyre makes the electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control systems work ineffectively.

6) Driving with 3 standard tyres and one donut tyre makes your braking system less effective and handling poor.

7)The wheel-speed sensor might detect the difference and light up your instrument panel with brake and ABS (anti-lock braking system) warning lights.

In order not to find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere (if your car comes with the donut spare tyre) , make sure you have the regular-size spare tyre ( or even the tubeless type) that’s always ready to go .

https://autojosh.com/why-it-is-not-safe-to-drive-with-a-donut-spare-tyre-that-comes-with-most-new-cars/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by ipobarecriminals: 4:18am On Aug 23, 2018
embarassed : sad : sum peep use it up to 2 mnts b4 dey replace it

8 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by dPriv: 4:21am On Aug 23, 2018
Really?
Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by DelTel(m): 8:02am On Aug 23, 2018
In order not to find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere (if your car comes with the donut spare tyre) , make sure you have the regular-size spare tyre ( or even the tubeless type) that’s always ready to go .

[/quote]

I believe the donut spare tyre has advantage over the regular same size tyre, imagine a scenario someone else drives your vehicle, the tyre got flat and the person changes it to the regular-size spare tyre (its same tyre and rim); and forgets to fix the flat leaving it in the booth, 95% of vehicle owner might not notice it and will be using the vehicle like that without a spare until the inevitable happens and the person is stranded.

With the donut, everyone simply sees a tyre is bad and will quickly fix it (one of my cars came with full regular-size spare tyre and rim - Avalon Limited edition - but i had to find a way to get a smaller tyre to the rim so its easily noticed).

Meanwhile, can you explain further on your above statement pls, I would like to understand "In order not to find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere (if your car comes with the donut spare tyre), make sure you have the regular-size spare tyre ( or even the tubeless type) that’s always ready to go"

8 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by diportivo: 8:42am On Aug 23, 2018
Automotive1:

Most modern cars (except for the 4×4 SUVs, bigger vans and pickups) now come with the space-saving donut tyres instead of the normal full-sized spares tyres

not in any particular order,but iv used Nissan frontier,honda pilot,Volvo XC90 and they all had doughnut as spare tyre undecided

They are made in order to cut cost, car weight and save space in the boot . It is preferred to the heavier standard full-size tyres which creates drag and increase in fuel consumption.

sufry sufry na bros grin

But they are not meant to be permanent replacements for the standard full-sized tyres.

They are mainly designed to be used as a spare tyre to get you to the nearest service station or local vulcaniser where the flat tyre can be fixed and reinstalled as soon as possible.

Here are a few things to note when forced to drive with a donut tyre

1)Donut spare tyre should not be driven faster than 50 mph or 80 kph. If you are forced to use it , it is best to get it replaced as soon as possible.

2) The safe air pressure recommended for the donut tyre is 60 pounds per square inch (psi). Exceeding the 60 psi may cause explosion and accident.

3)Make sure they are installed on the rear of your car since most cars weigh more in the front . Also , braking force comes mostly from the front which means the car may not stop quickly since they have very little traction .

4)Use the donut spare tyre to drive to only a short distance or about 50 miles at most since they have little tread that wears out in no time.

5)Driving on the temporary spare tyre makes the electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control systems work ineffectively.

6) Driving with 3 standard tyres and one donut tyre makes your braking system less effective and handling poor.

7)The wheel-speed sensor might detect the difference and light up your instrument panel with brake and ABS (anti-lock braking system) warning lights.

so that we will have the drag and fuel consumption issue u spoke about in ur opening statements..why contradict urself undecided

https://autojosh.com/why-it-is-not-safe-to-drive-with-a-donut-spare-tyre-that-comes-with-most-new-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44 Mukina2 Dominique Seun

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by BruncleZuma: 10:45am On Aug 23, 2018
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Goahead(m): 10:52am On Aug 23, 2018
I won't spare the donut bro... I'm gonna eat it!

4 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 23, 2018
okay
Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Offpoint: 10:55am On Aug 23, 2018
For now! offpoint is less concerned about tyres, but more about shoes that last longer.

I'll look forward to worrying about tyres next year or a year after.

God bless all the leggediz Benz owners in the world

6 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by InTime(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2018
Thats Great To Knw, Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by tripoli007(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2018
I have this donut tyre and regular one in my booth ..1 spare tyre is not enough driving in Nigerian roads sad

11 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by vikkeee(m): 10:59am On Aug 23, 2018
most people just continue using it. Especially my neighbour

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by BluntBoy(m): 10:59am On Aug 23, 2018
I have been using mine for some weeks now. But I don't drive to work on Mondays and Fridays, as a rule.

Reading this, I will do the needful when leaving the office this evening.

5 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by arrestdarrester: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2018
Thanks OP

2 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 23, 2018
A.k.a take me home tyre

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by onegig(m): 11:57am On Aug 23, 2018
Funny enough. My donut tyre feels much more comfortable when I had a rear tyre blown some time back.

Felt less heavier and much more stable.
Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by johnbull2017(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2018
Very true. This happened to me last weekend, I drove with the dummy tire from Ikeja to Egbeda and both the ABS and ESC light came on before I got to my destination. Even after I had changed it to the regular tire the both lights still comes and goes.

3 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Chukkyboi: 12:36pm On Aug 23, 2018
Op thanks for dis info. Once drove it from east to lagos on a 120 -180 speed not knowing the risk involved.

3 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 23, 2018
i agree with mr moderator, but our drivers put these tyres in the front, with full passengers and drive up to 140km/hr with these tyres.

i see many suv owners using these tyres on a permanent basis, makes me wonder if they stole these suvs.

these tyres are not good in potholes or bad roads, they get stuck easily.

the idea of space saving is ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Omoekun931(m): 2:20pm On Aug 23, 2018
Which one be donut again

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by Emmerlee(m): 2:46pm On Aug 23, 2018
I am not very sure this applies.. In 2016 I once embarked on a 7 hours journey by road. As early as 6am I had a bad encounter in high speed with a sharp pot hole at Berger which tore through my tire and bent my rim!
My saving grace was the donut spare which I fixed pending when I'm able to get a new tire and fix the rim.

I got to shagamu and could not find my tire spec, same applied to Benin and Agbor. It wasn't until I got to Asaba that I was able to get inch 19 tire (235/55/19 to be precise). At the end of the day I made 85% of the entire journey on the donut spare to my surprise. I was later told that the donut spare is actually much tougher than the regular tires.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by steemlord: 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2018
Emmerlee:
I am not very sure this applies.. In 2016 I once embarked on a 7 hours journey by road. As early as 6am I had a bad encounter in high speed with a sharp pot hole at Berger which tore through my tire and bent my rim!
My saving grace was the donut spare which I fixed pending when I'm able to get a new tire and fix the rim.

I got to shagamu and could not find my tire spec, same applied to Benin and Agbor. It wasn't until I got to Asaba that I was able to get inch 19 tire (235/35/19 to be precise). At the end of the day I made 85% of the entire journey on the donut spare to my surprise. I was later told that the donut spare is actually much tougher than the regular tires.

so long as you dint go beyond 80km/h, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sure long distance. this rule is BOLDLY WRITTEN on every such spare tire. going beyond that speed limit is driving with altered braking system and dangerously unbalance wheel components

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by bigplayerz(m): 6:11pm On Aug 23, 2018
Chai i learnt this the hard way...na him make one useless vulganizer use me shine

3 Likes

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by DonX001: 7:11pm On Aug 23, 2018
Emmerlee:

I got to shagamu and could not find my tire spec, same applied to Benin and Agbor. It wasn't until I got to Asaba that I was able to get inch 19 tire (235/35/19 to be precise). At the end of the day I made 85% of the entire journey on the donut spare to my surprise. I was later told that the donut spare is actually much tougher than the regular tires.
Yea I've heard tales of people driving crazy long distances...Lagos to up North, on doughnut tyre, without issues.
Not sure I would be inclined to trying that out myself though....
Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by bigbabyboy: 9:13am On Aug 24, 2018
Emmerlee:

It applies o. I once had a similar experience to yours with my Donut Tyre. It got me from Ogbese to Ibadan. However, I noticed it wasn't comfortable with Speed Bumps and Potholes so I navigated gently when confronted with either scenarios.

Although it got me to Ibadan, the day it failed me, it was just God and grace that got me home. My regular tyre picked up a nail or something and got so less that the drag on my steering wheel became too annoying for me. So I changed to the donut tyre. I was on my way to Dugbe Mall from Bodija via UI-Sango Expressway. The Donut Tyre did not make it to Mokola before it flattened out. Just one small pothole and that was it. I had to change back into the previous tyre and managed my drag back home jejely. No more Dugbe Mall time again that Sunday evening. I had to wait till Monday morning to call my Vulcaniser to get both tyres fixed. The next available opportunity, I got a new tyre and Rim as spare. Now I have One and half spare tyres. The new spare and the Donut.

The tyre is not that reliable, expecially during hot afternoons and with bad roads. It also cannot carry the weight of the engine most times and hence should not be used in the front as a replacement. Drive carefully with it when in usage and at lesser speeds. Make sure you are mindful of speed bumps and Potholes when driving with it. Always use it as a last resort and as an emergency intervention protocol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car by skedy1(m): 10:03am On Aug 24, 2018
My love for nairaland... Always looking for ways to teach me new things

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Important Information Every Car Owner In Nigeria Must Know / Tyres : 10 Facts You Should Know Today / How Reliable Is An Audi A4 1999 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.