Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,336 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab (1828 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Public Institutions To The Rescue As Parents Dump Private Schoo / Kwara Muslim Parents Protest Against Rejection Of Hijab-Wearing Students / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Sagtop: 2:25pm On Sep 04, 2021
Hijab: How I suffered victimisation, rejection in public institutions - FOMWAN Amirah, Alhaja Rofiah Sanni (Part 1)

The newly appointed Amirah (President) Federation of Muslim Women Associations in Nigeria (FOMWAN), Alhaja Rofiah Idowu Sanni has revealed how she survived victimisation and rejections as a teacher for using Hijab in public schools throughout her 35-year teaching career.

Sanni, a retired Principal, who now wears niqob (veil) revealed that she was rejected twice in public schools because of her Hijab.

She made the revelation in an exclusive with Muslim News on Tuesday, few days after she emerged the 10th Amirah of the faith-based Muslim women organisation.

Narrating her ordeal as a young teacher some years ago, Alhaja Sanni said she was rejected in the first and second public school in Oyo State, adding that, "to avoid rejection in the third school I was posted to, I came up with a plan, which helped me overcome the incessant molestation for using Hijab."

According to her, "All glory and adoration are due to Allah. The most important thing in life is for people to know you for who you are. Before I started using niqob, everyone knows that no single person can toy with my Islam. Not only that, they know that I am also an advocate of Islam.

"The day I got my letter of assumption of duty, the first school I was posted to rejected me after seeing me on Hijab. That was in May, 1985. When I got to another school, I was rejected again.

"The irony is that I was to teach Physics and they were seriously in search of a Physics teacher, but just because of my mode of dressing, I was rejected."

Sanni while speaking on how she sailed through the hurdles, narrated, "When I realised that it was because of Hijab they didn't accept me, I came up with a plan when I was going to the third school. Sadly, the ministry didn't see anything wrong in their action.

"When I got to the third school, it's IMG Grammar School, Sharp Corner, Oke Ado, Ibadan, I removed my Hijab on getting to the gate. It wasn't convenient for me but I said to myself, I must get this appointment. The principal and the staff were so much happy that a physics teacher had been posted to their school. Immediately, they gave me letter of resumption of duty. I was given the timetable and in no time, everybody became my friend.

"I did same the second day by removing my Hijab at the gate. I did that for 4 days, Monday to Thursday. During the period, I made sure I didn't go late to school . As early as 6:30/7am, I was already in the school. That made the principal to like me specifically. In fact, I started assisting her children in thier physics assignment.

"On Friday of that week, I went to the school with Hijab. Then the Principal started shouting, saying what kind of dressing is this? Then, I pretended as if I am not Yoruba, because I had been speaking in English while in school. At the assembly ground, she was telling someone "Ni bo le ti ri Omo Alata yi", meaning, where did you see this uncultured lady? *is it alata? And, does that mean uncultured?*

"So, she finally confronted me, asking, what's wrong? I also asked her, what is wrong? I repeated everything she was saying.

"Why did you wear Hijab to the school today? Didn't you know it's not allowed?" She asked me, but I pretended I didn't understand what she was saying in Yoruba.

"When she couldn't bear it again, she called me to her office to challenge me again. Well, I changed the story for her. I told her, mummy, today is Friday, I will have to go to the mosque for Jum’at and my prayer will not be accepted without putting on Hijab. Then, she said, "okay, there is no problem. Just for Jum'at, right?"

"But on Monday, I used cape Hijab and she couldn't bear it again, despite the fact that I didn't use a big Hijab. That was the beginning of our quarrel. As we had this misunderstanding over Hijab, I didn't go late to school. I was dedicated to my work. In fact, I resuscitated the MSSN in the school and everything was going on well, not knowing that she had gone to the ministry and Teaching Service Commission to report me.

"But, Alhamdulillah, Alhaji Adekilekun from Ede, who was a board member of the commission sent for me. He related everything that happened and my principal's request to transfer me because of Islam, specifically my Hijab.

"I told him I don't want to be transferred, unless the woman is transferred. That place is even far away from my home, but because she has requested for my transfer, I will not leave. I left and went back to school.

"She called for a staff meeting and started spewing hate speeches. I stood up to the challenge. I told her it's because of Islam you hate me and I will not leave this school. As Allah will have it, few days later, she was demoted from Principal to VP for another reason, though I didn't want that for her. But because of her hatred for Islam, Allah disgraced her from that school.

"A few months after that, l requested for my transfer to a nearby school to my house, because l was heavily pregnant," she added.

Journey to Niqob

Alhaja Sanni, the wife of Alhaji Kunle Sanni, the Chairman of Oyo State Muslim Community, told Muslim News that she started using niqob when she became a principal.

"As a Principal, it wasn't easy for anybody to tell me not to use either the Hijab or Niqob," the New Amirah of FOMWAN said.

Alhaja Sanni however related the insult she got from a fellow Muslim for obeying Allah's command on dressing.

"There was a time a man from the Ministry came to my school before using niqob. He said, what's this nonsense you're putting on? I replied him, what is the nonsense? Unfortunately that man happens to be a Muslim.

"I told him don't come here to disgrace your fellow Muslim if you don't understand that it is an injunction from Allah for a mature female Muslim to cover herself by wearing the Hijab, whenever she is going outside her home.

"Putting on Hijab is what Allah asks us to do and that's what I am doing. The man later begged me after I reported the incident to NACOMYO. Before I knew it, the story had gone viral with people lambasting him and then, he came to beg me.

"So, when I started using niqob, the commissioner will come, other people in the education sector will come. I don't care whatever they say because I am doing it for Allah, not them. They will later turn everything to joke by saying 'Alhaja, we'll like to see your face.'

"Alhamdulillah Rabbil aalamin, we have niqob sisters teaching in our schools who also faced rejections initially, but were later transfered to schools like Isabatudeen and Ansarudeen," she added.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1277301089376679&id=661227580984036

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by OkuFaba(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2021
Allahu Ka Boom

I don't even know why I read this

Delete Islam and the world will know Peace

7 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by dex4sure: 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2021

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by joyandfaith: 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2021
Hijab is not our culture. I think Muslim women shouid use traditional head covering instead of hijab.

7 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
Looking for unnecessary sympathy.

People don't have a problem seeing a nun dressed up, they don't have a problem seeing a Buddhist dressed up

You should be sober about why your case is different then you would understand how your fellows have been vindicating them

7 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2021
Anybody that persistently refuses to remove her Hijab or Muslim dressing in a place that is not for Muslims is not different from Boko Haram and other Islamists because the same Muslims cannot tolerate other cultures like LGBT, Strip clubbing or hot dresses in their own community.
Madam you are just a terrorist.

11 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2021
BKayy:
Anybody that persistently refuses to remove her Hijab or Muslim dressing in a place that is not for Muslims is not different from Boko Haram and other Islamists because the same Muslims cannot tolerate other cultures like LGBT, Strip clubbing or hot dresses in their own community.
she is in the south yet asking why she is different

Omo, people don't have an excuse to give you about been apprehensive when it's their life at risk and your fellows can easily strap some bombs in that long yard

3 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2021
Mikehot:
she is in the south yet asking why she is different

Mumu people. They see nothing wrong in using force to make other not to practice their own culture in their land but see something wrong when others tell them to remove that their dirty hijab and dress like human beings.
Now look at this critically, a Southerner that is used to bum shorts, leggings, and other normal young girls clothing is not allowed to dress like that in a Muslim community and nobody complains but when they come to the community of the same person they denied her the right to dress like she wants and were obstructed from wearing hijab, they start complaining and blackmailing.
I pity fools that fall for their tricks.
What they are doing in essence is trying to tell the host community that only their law matters because they are "Muslims"
God knows Islam won't be allowed in my country after Nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Daddysidhan: 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2021
Your fellow hijabians are in Afghanistan, yemen and Syria enjoying the good deed of Taliban, isis, alqaeda etc kindly move to that part of the world and practice your religion of peace.

8 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by DDDEnterprises: 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2021
Build your schools, build your institutions according to your taste and act as you wish. No one will harrass you.

And in another news, "The Unity" is coming folks. Be prepared.

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Finnese001: 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2021
That same treatment await any useless Igbo Muslim

4 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by FreedomArmy: 3:09pm On Sep 04, 2021
You can wear all the fucking Hijab as long as you want but don't just hide bomb inside it.
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Sagtop: 3:24pm On Sep 04, 2021
Finnese001:
That same treatment await any useless Igbo Muslim

Imagine someone that blames all his problem on fulani? Lol

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by kestolove95(m): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
Those party goers to clap nd dance every Sunday really want people to be dressing half naked like them..

3 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 3:45pm On Sep 04, 2021
kestolove95:
Those party goers to clap nd dance every Sunday really want people to be dressing half naked like them..
And the "I am holier than thou to the public but freaks on the inside" wants people to join them in tying themselves up like sausage.
We should respect each other.
No normal clothing in Muslim communities and NO hijab in normal communities

2 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by aribisala0(m): 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2021
BKayy:
Which place is "NOT FOR MUSIMS"

2 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2021
aribisala0:
Which place is "NOT FOR MUSIMS"
Any place that doesn't recognise Sharia

2 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Lanretoye(m): 4:22pm On Sep 04, 2021
U want to enter my house and i told u to remove your shoes before u come in,now u say im rejecting you.

2 Likes

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by aribisala0(m): 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2021
BKayy:

Any place that doesn't recognise Sharia
So Lagos State is not for Muslims?
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2021
aribisala0:
So Lagos State is not for Muslims?
Discuss that one with Afonjas.
But if I am to speak on my own accord, I'll say that Lagos is a "No man's land" or "home for all"
Nobody get am

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by aribisala0(m): 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2021
BKayy:

Discuss that one with Afonjas.
But if I am to speak on my own accord, I'll say that Lagos is "No man's land" or "home for all"
Nobody get am
You are changing the Subject

Answer the question.

According to your statement there are places that are "NOT FOR MUSLIMS" so surely you must see the contradiction in declaring a place as "HOME FOR ALL"

You declared
if a place does not recognize Sharia it is not for Muslims so

Is Lagos for Muslims ?

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
aribisala0:
You are changing the Subject

Answer the question.

According to your statement there are places that are "NOT FOR MUSLIMS" so surely you must see the contradiction in declaring a place as "HOME FOR ALL"

You declared
if a place does not recognize Sharia it is not for Muslims so

Is Lagos for Muslims ?

Haven't you heard of the word "Neutral" before?
It exists when a place doesn't stand for any side.
Lagos is a No man's land and at such does not sway to any culture, politics, dimension or religion.
Thank you
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by aribisala0(m): 4:38pm On Sep 04, 2021
BKayy:

Haven't you heard of the word "Neutral" before?
It exists when a place doesn't stand for any side.
Lagos is a No man's land and at such does not sway to any culture, politics, dimension or religion.
Thank you

You chose your words did I choos e them for you?

You said a place that does not recognize sharia is NOT FOR MUSLIMS

Now you are talking of NEUTRAL

So are higher institutions in NIGERIA
NEUTRALS SPACES or

NOT FOR MUSLIMS spaces?
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by BKayy: 4:42pm On Sep 04, 2021
aribisala0:

You chose your words did I choos e them for you?

You said a place that does not recognize sharia is NOT FOR MUSLIMS

Now you are talking of NEUTRAL

So are higher institutions in NIGERIA
NEUTRALS SPACES or

NOT FOR MUSLIMS spaces?

The fate of higher institutions fall on the jurisdiction of the locality they are based if we are to take the way the Muslims run theirs into consideration.
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by butterfly777(m): 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2021
I am a Christian, and I believe in religious tolerance and respecting people's religion. But the average Nigerian is yet to know that it is wrong to impose their religions on people in secular settings.

Rather, they wrongly see every general gathering as an opportunity to make other people practice their own religion, claiming it is an opportunity to "win souls".

I believe God does not want us to force people to pray to him. We keep saying opening and closing prayers in public meetings, and also on school assembly grounds, thereby imposing religion on people who may not subscribe to it.

What do you want traditional religion practitioners, Jehovah's witnesses and even atheists to say? But we think it is justifiable to impose opening prayers on people because we think it is an opportunity to lead them into our religion.

So, untill we stop this practice of saying opening and closing prayer in multi-religious settings, Nigerians may not fully be conscious of respecting other religions, and this kind of discrimination may not stop.
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Siggynigeria: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2021
You don't have a point, Miss OP. If I can't dress the way I like in your community why should you dress the way you like in mine?
Or you people are the only ones allowed to impose cultures?? Religion of peace my yansh!!

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Richy4(m): 5:35pm On Sep 04, 2021
What she narrated there was just their typical behaviour...
When they were seeking for their children's admission in high schools, They will accept all the curriculum and dress code provided by the school... They will sign everything given to them including school code of conducts...
Admit their kids and give them 2weeks, they will bring out their true colours,.. pretending as if they were ignorant of the school uniforms...

Why not wear what U want to wear at home and not make others uncomfortable by shoving it on anyone's face..
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 04, 2021
kestolove95:
At least, they have zero terrorist behaviours like hijabists

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2021
butterfly777:
I am a Christian, and I believe in religious tolerance and respecting people's religion. But the average Nigerian is yet to know that it is wrong to impose their religions on people in secular settings.

Rather, they wrongly see every general gathering as an opportunity to make other people practice their own religion, claiming it is an opportunity to "win souls".

I believe God does not want us to force people to pray to him. We keep saying opening and closing prayers in public meetings, and also on school assembly grounds, thereby imposing religion on people who may not subscribe to it.

What do you want traditional religion practitioners, Jehovah's witnesses and even atheists to say? But we think it is justifiable to impose opening prayers on people because we think it is an opportunity to lead them into our religion.

So, untill we stop this practice of saying opening and closing prayer in multi-religious settings, Nigerians may not fully be conscious of respecting other religions, and this kind of discrimination may not stop.
you made no sense

The Christian way of winning souls with dialogue, engagement and love versus the Islam jihad terrorists way of winning souls which do you prefer

So far nobody is killing you it's all good after all Na mouth dem take talk

1 Like

Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by butterfly777(m): 6:37pm On Sep 04, 2021
Mikehot:
you made no sense

The Christian way of winning souls with dialogue, engagement and love versus the Islam jihad terrorists way of winning souls which do you prefer

So far nobody is killing you it's all good after all Na mouth dem take talk

No sense? Think again.

I am talking about respect. Two wrongs don't make a right.

We all know that Islam has much more tendency to bully others and force their religion on others, but Christian should not use the social situations to make others engage in christian stuff. It is also wrong, though much much less so when compared to what Muslims might do.

Again, two wrongs still doesn't make a right.
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Buharidgeneral: 7:25pm On Sep 04, 2021
And no single picture
Re: How I Suffered Victimisation, Rejection In Public Institutions Because Of Hijab by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 04, 2021
butterfly777:

No sense? Think again.

I am talking about respect. Two wrongs don't make a right.

We all know that Islam has much more tendency to bully others and force their religion on others, but Christian should not use the social situations to make others engage in christian stuff. It is also wrong, though much much less so when compared to what Muslims might do.

Again, two wrongs still doesn't make a right.
Try and be engaging your brain

When Christian's do soul winning it accompanies debate, they don't force you, there is freedom of expression and they are free to express their opinions so long its not cutting your neck or bombing for allah

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born By Ayi Kwei Armah - Themes In The Novel / Africa CAN'T Forget When Europe Caged Its Children Like Monkeys / Nigerians React As NYSC Urges Corpers Travelling High-risk Roads Such As…. To I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.