Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? (16331 Views)

Father Oluoma: Ladies Virginity Is Not A Gift To Your Husbands / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Tundex911: 3:56pm On Sep 05, 2021
The rate wey our generation dey take train speaking even the tongue sef fear dem...

Immediately dem go Bible school next na pastor and speak in tongue straight up, na reason why we have fake of dem recently...

End time Era

Awon weyrey gbogbo

Smh
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't know what he meant there since he does not explain how he arrived as his speaking in tongues being greater than that of any of the others he wrote to there. He may have developed a scientific method of measuring these things that was not revealed to us in any of his letters. undecided
you are confusing yourself. Groaning normally when you have an intense prayer burden, speaking is communicating, communion. You can pray without groaning in the Spirit but you can not groaning without intense prayer.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2021
chatinent:

I don't mind if you continue to be decieved. Have a nice century.
grin I'm glad to be deceived. Thank you
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 05, 2021
chatinent:
What came over you was what you heard in your head.

It was what you felt should happen.

It wasn't the holy spirit.

Have a nice century.

Wetin you Sabi?
Your own is just to go to church and siddon look.

No need.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by chatinent: 4:20pm On Sep 05, 2021
Mercychen:

Wetin you Sabi?
Your own is just to go to church and siddon look.

No need.

I am very much religiously learned than you think.

With due respect, get lost.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by ceragon123: 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2021
I use to think it is a gift for some very few people until I join NCF (New Convenant Family) at Esut in 2004. NCF is the university outreach that really touched lives in so many ways. After becoming born again, I began the foundation class for new converts and it was a wonderful experience. I was taught how to pray all over and when to start speaking in tongues. I did as instructed and become a force to reckon with. I began to pray for 4hrs straight and can speak in tongues in ways that I can't explain. I know I usually start with some gibberish but it still baffles me how I can say things I ordinarily won't say. I remember a meeting I attended at the village where one prophet was brought from PH to come and pray for our family. The way I spoke in tongues made the man of God to call me aside after the programme to ask me where I was trained.

If you feel depressed or troubled, get up in the midnight, do some prayer and speak in tongues for some time and see how It goes. Bad people will run away from you when they hear the languages they don't understand.

If it come to you as gift, fine. So long you make use of it in the fight against principalities and powers.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Jamesbiodun(m): 4:29pm On Sep 05, 2021
Ashirababaseremokoshomshompakulakatarabamamamamasakalashikorinobonobobomomoseno abegi freeemimimimimi jhor angry
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Obdk: 4:42pm On Sep 05, 2021
seglabsy:
the reason for this my question is as a result of a lady that i met she said she wanted to teach or train me how to be speaking in tongue, so i was disturbed on whether speaking in tongues is gift from God or they receive training as claimed by this lady.

So bible scholars, share your opinion on this because she is seriously disturbing me.
you as a Christian should not ask this kind question...
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by anochuko01(m): 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Where did you get this idea that it becomes like a second language from? undecided

You don't even have the ability to control the speaking of this language, let alone full understanding of what it is you are saying...for all you care, some power remote controls you into speaking it whenever He desires....so how does it become a second language to you? undecided

It's about context here...
I meant to say that when you engage more in speaking in tongues, at time comes when you don't struggle to speak it unlike when one is newly baptized. I'm referring to the stage where one can pray in tongues for five hours straight...

That's a point where you don't need any power to "control" you before you start speaking. You do it at will, anywhere and at anytime.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Myer(m): 4:48pm On Sep 05, 2021
Cudeze4:
If she comes to you again. You tell her that speaking in tougue isn't learned but a gift of the Spirit. And if she is doubting, refer her to 1 cor 12:4-11. Na there story go finish. If e no wan end there, LET ME KNOW.

The irony is that they all claim to be speaking in tongues.
Yet the bible says there should be an interpreter of the tongues otherwise they should be silent.

Clearly there's no interpreter because the tongues are fake.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2021
chatinent:

I am very much religiously learned than you think.

With due respect, get lost.

SMH.. religious indeed.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Obdk: 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2021
ceragon123:
I use to think it is a gift for some very few people until I join NCF (New Convenant Family) at Esut in 2004. NCF is the university outreach that really touched lives in so many ways. After becoming born again, I began the foundation class for new converts and it was a wonderful experience. I was taught how to pray all over and when to start speaking in tongues. I did as instructed and become a force to reckon with. I began to pray for 4hrs straight and can speak in tongues in ways that I can't explain. I know I usually start with some gibberish but it still baffles me how I can say things I ordinarily won't say. I remember a meeting I attended at the village where one prophet was brought from PH to come and pray for our family. The way I spoke in tongues made the man of God to call me aside after the programme to ask me where I was trained.

If you feel depressed or troubled, get up in the midnight, do some prayer and speak in tongues for some time and see how It goes. Bad people will run away from you when they hear the languages they don't understand.

If it come to you as gift, fine. So long you make use of it in the fight against principalities and powers.

Pls shut up...
Nobody can teach you to speak in tongues...

All u pentecostal bulshit already turned the bible upside down.. Tufiakwa
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Sep 05, 2021
Lollittaa:
you are confusing yourself. Groaning normally when you have an intense prayer burden, speaking is communicating, communion. You can pray without groaning in the Spirit but you can not groaning without intense prayer.
I am not confusing myself at all. If you are confused, speak of it and we can talk it out. undecided

According to Paul, what he described as groaning in the spirit is essentially the praying in the spirit phenomena he spoke of. As Paul said, the groaning comes not from the person but the spirit inside of the person who the groaning is emitted through. undecided

Speaking in tongues, however, is a sign which Jesus Christ declared a sign of those who believe in Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Sep 05, 2021
anochuko01:
It's about context here...
I meant to say that when you engage more in speaking in tongues, at time comes when you don't struggle to speak it unlike when one is newly baptized. I'm referring to the stage where one can pray in tongues for five hours straight...

That's a point where you don't need any power to "control" you before you start speaking. You do it at will, anywhere and at anytime.
What Paul referred to as praying in tongues he described as groaning of the spirit - not of you. undecided

As for speaking in tongues, if it is communication that is not by you, and not to you, when then will there ever not be a need for a power to control you in order to achieve it? undecided
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Ryan14(m): 5:26pm On Sep 05, 2021
chatinent:

Yes, it is the gift of the holy spirit as seen on the day of pentecost.

But you see, brother, what is done today, the speaking of unknowledgeable words is pure nonsense and wasn't what was done then.

Unless you want to explain the meaning of rashidi yekini yamaha wa ka susuki from a preacher's mouth.

When people spoke in tongues in ancient times, they spoke one language and people from different cultural backgrounds, languages, and heritage, understood them.

Suppose Paul was in a Hebrew land (with non-Hebrew visitors from around) and spoke Hebrew, of the gift of the spirit, the Greeks, people of Corinth, people of Ephesus, Igbos, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc., understood him! They weren't speaking nonsense! The gift allowed them spread the message far and beyond language barriers...not speaking ecstatic pronouncements of gibberish.

Now I ask you, is what that was done then the same with what we hear and see today?

Have a nice century.
26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Sir, the Bible clearly stated that there are groanings which cannot be interpreted. And only the holy spirit knows what you are saying or praying
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by chatinent: 5:29pm On Sep 05, 2021
Ryan14:

26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Sir, the Bible clearly stated that there are groanings which cannot be interpreted. And only the holy spirit knows what you are saying or praying

How does what you posted relate with speaking rubbish?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Andy15(m): 5:32pm On Sep 05, 2021
seglabsy:
the reason for this my question is as a result of a lady that i met she said she wanted to teach or train me how to be speaking in tongue, so i was disturbed on whether speaking in tongues is gift from God or they receive training as claimed by this lady.

So bible scholars, share your opinion on this because she is seriously disturbing me.
Like all the commenters above have said it was a gift of the holy spirit that allowed disciples to comnunicate with people of the nations back then and this is one of the things JWs teach(this may induce unfriendly replies). But as of today i believe God no longer gives that gift.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Agbafs2005(m): 5:32pm On Sep 05, 2021
May God Almighty bless you and give you more wisdom.
aaamen

chatinent:

But you see, brother, what is done today, the speaking of unknowledgeable words is pure nonsense and wasn't what was done then.

Unless you want to explain the meaning of rashidi yekini yamaha wa ka susuki from a preacher's mouth.

When people spoke in tongues in ancient times, they spoke one language and people from different cultural backgrounds, languages, and heritage, understood them.

Suppose Paul was in a Hebrew land (with non-Hebrew visitors from around) and spoke Hebrew, of the gift of the spirit, the Greeks, people of Corinth, people of Ephesus, Igbos, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc., understood him! They weren't speaking nonsense! The gift allowed them spread the message far and beyond language barriers...not speaking ecstatic pronouncements of gibberish.

Now I ask you, is what that was done then the same with what we hear and see today?

Have a nice century.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by anochuko01(m): 5:35pm On Sep 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What Paul referred to as praying in tongues he described as groaning of the spirit - not of you. undecided

As for speaking in tongues, if it is communication that is not by you, and not to you, when then will there ever not be a need for a power to control you in order to achieve it? undecided

Rest abeg, I no get strength
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2021
Ryan14:

So, praying in tongues, is a lie.....nobody really prays in tongues. Those who claim they do so assume that because they are in prayer mode(mentally) and the speaking continues through it they are "praying in tongues". undecided

And what Paul referred to there with the groanibg phenomenon is all Spirit, and nothing of the person who is sound is being emitted from. undecided

I recall one particular day the groaning happened and went on for hours. I got bored waiting for it to stop. I watched movies, ate, went to the bathroom, surfed the internet...all while waiting for it to end. It was not under my control and I couldn't cause it to stop no matter how hard I tried. And that day the reason why Paul referred to it as groaning "in the Spirit" dawned clearly on me. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by gseph(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2021
Speaking in tongue is mystery, no one understand it. let the rabarer za la ta ma rara goes on. You don't understand it. And its not fake. Its a gift of the Holy Spirit. But the Spirit of God understand it. He can make you to understand too because He is in you. God understand too because you are speaking to no man. For those who learn it, their is a conviction within them that they have not received the gift. When they have it, they know. You may not know if you are not the one. Don't let another person's matter bothers you. You can surely receive your own gift. No impossibility.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by henrijin: 7:32pm On Sep 05, 2021
Anyone can speak it because it's vocal gibberish. You don't learn it. You just need to talk as gibberish as possible. Love God first and love your neighbour as yourself. This is the ultimate rule of life.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On Sep 05, 2021
henrijin:
Anyone can speak it because it's vocal gibberish. You don't learn it. You just need to talk as gibberish as possible. Love God first and love your neighbour as yourself. This is the ultimate rule of life.
The true gift of tongues is different the speaking in gibberish that is common place. Speaking in tongues, as taught by Jesus Christ, is the speaking of a different language, more than likely human language, separate from any one is learned in. undecided
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by stancydg: 8:03pm On Sep 05, 2021
Wouldn't it be nicer if comments were based on experience?

The Bible admonishes in Jude verse 20, which has only a chapter for believers to "build up their faith, praying in the HolySpirit". What does that mean? A believer can surely stir up the Spirit by constantly praying in the Spirit(speaking in tongues), as the Holy Spirit helps to align his/her prayers with God's will. That's what Paul meant when he mentioned the HolySpirit helping our infirmities in the book of Romans, as sometimes we do not honestly know what or how we should pray. e.g you wake up fatigued and not in the mood to pray. At such times, start with speaking in tongues and watch as the Spirit helps you pray for even much longer than you normally will.

Now, the fact that the folks from different nations understood what the apostles said on the day of Pentecost doesn't mean we should think it happens that way all the time. You can't put God in a box. For Pete's sake, there was a crowd and it was the first time to happen. It was obviously expedient at the time. The fact that you don't understand what someone has spoken in tongues doesn't invalidate it as someone else may, if it will serve the Spirit's purpose. Doubting thomases and generation of vipers will hardly see the sign they so much demand.

Interpretation is only required when someone is delivering a message of the Spirit to a congregation for the sake of understanding/edification, so that the congregants can carry out the Spirit's instructions. Isn't that common sense?

For experience, when I pray in the Spirit, it as an added advantage, helps me communicate expressly with God if and when I switch to my own understanding as the Spirit brings to my memory scriptures which align with my requests and demands, causing me not to use my own ordinary and sometimes selfish words but what God has said in scriptures. With that, I've always had 100% confidence my prayers are answered and that's been my reality. I always get results.

To the OP's question, every one who has surrendered and confessed the Lord Jesus has the Holy Spirit in them and should speak in tongues. What hinders most people is mostly wrong doctrines that it happens like magic with your tongue twisted and speaking exact foreign languages, like a lot of folks on this platform seem to believe. As a kid, I prayed and fasted intensely hoping for that magic to happen to no avail until I saw the truth in God's word.

Don't let the devil deny you of the great benefits of praying in tongues because you're waiting for that kind of magic. Praying in tongues has saved me from a very fatal accident. That day, I had said my morning prayers already in my understanding and was rounding up when I was moved to pray in the Spirit. Thank God I did. Little did I know what was to happen that day.

The Holy Spirit is a gift Jesus Christ promised to believers to be their comforters as well as teach them all things. Fill yourself up with the word of God, simply open your mouth and the Holy Spirit will fill it.

Each believer is given utterance by the HolySpirit with a responsibility of constantly stirring up the Spirit in spiritual songs, hymns, psalms, prayers etc. No need to learn from another believer.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Ryan14(m): 8:59pm On Sep 05, 2021
chatinent:

How does what you posted relate with speaking rubbish?

I think it shouldn't be speaking in tongues. Should be groanings as the Bible rightly pointed
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Cudeze4(m): 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2021
famouscargo4u:

What he said in simple terms is that anyone saying anything in church today and cannot be interpreted in known language, it is rubbish!
Do you also know that interpretation of tougue is also a gift of the spirit?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by famouscargo4u: 9:59pm On Sep 05, 2021
Cudeze4:

Do you also know that interpretation of tougue is also a gift of the spirit?

Forget that thing. There is no language in earth that does not have natural speaker. If you say anything today in the guise of speaking in tongues and no one knows what you're saying, na rubbish you dey talk. That's not the holyspirit-inspired-tongue. I see how they teach many people how to speak in to view today and I laugh in awe.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Gbenge22(m): 10:13pm On Sep 05, 2021
[quote author=seglabsy post=105489845]the reason for this my question is as a result of a lady that i met she said she wanted to teach or train me how to be speaking in tongue, so i was disturbed on whether speaking in tongues is gift from God or they receive training as claimed by this lady.

That's why you can't see Jehovah Witness with senseless act......

i went to church the pastor command we should be speaking in tongues
I just dey speak what I don't understand even I can't understand someone else....
This what new churches are bringing
*Catholic
*Anglican
Apostolic
Methodist
Baptist
Will never do such

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Dexpro: 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2021
cheesy grin

Rashidi Yekini bawo ke?
chatinent:

Have a nice century.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by blackmaine: 10:58pm On Sep 05, 2021
Firstly speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy spirit, then what's Holy spirit ? The Holy spirit is not a person but a force by which Yahweh Elohim manifest, mainly according to the scriptures , speaking in tongues was only made possible for spreading the word of God and for passing message to a person or to people, you can't speak it back to Yahweh, because it's not used in making supplications to him, it's for people around you , Yahweh put that in your mouth, it's called speaking in tongues because what you're speaking is not your language but of one or people around you
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by Kobojunkie: 11:01pm On Sep 05, 2021
Gbenge22:
That's why you can't see Jehovah Witness with senseless act......

i went to church the pastor command we should be speaking in tongues
I just dey speak what I don't understand even I can't understand someone else....
This what new churches are bringing
*Catholic
*Anglican
Apostolic
Methodist
Baptist
Will never do such
Maybe it is because Jehovah witnesses don't infact believe in Jesus Christ. undecided

Jesus Christ said, of speaking in tongues, "these signs shall follow those who believe in Him..." -Mark 16 vs 15 - 16. And we know that those who believe in Jesus Christ are those who are saved - John 3 vs 1-21 - this referring to those who have gained access into the Kingdom of God either through the broad gate that leads to destruction(eternal damnation) or through the narrow gate that leads to true life(Heaven) - Matthew 7 vs 13 - 14. Yes, both those who are to end up in Heaven and in Hell believe in Jesus Christ - they belong to His flock, only some of them are sheep while the rest are goats - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided

So if you are saying that not a single Jehovah Witness speaks in tongues, it means none of that group qualify as believers in Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Trainable Or A Gift? by blackmaine: 11:15pm On Sep 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Maybe it is because Jehovah witnesses don't infact believe in Jesus Christ. undecided

Jesus Christ said, of speaking in tongues, "these signs shall follow those who believe in Him..." -Mark 16 vs 15 - 16. And we know that those who believe in Jesus Christ are those who are saved - John 3 vs 1-21 - this referring to those who have gained access into the Kingdom of God either through the broad gate that leads to destruction(eternal damnation) or through the narrow gate that leads to true life(Heaven) - Matthew 7 vs 13 - 14. Yes, both those who are to end up in Heaven and in Hell believe in Jesus Christ - they belong to His flock, only some of them are sheep while the rest are goats - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided

So if you are saying that not a single Jehovah Witness speaks in tongues, it means none of that group qualify as believers in Jesus Christ. undecided
even if they don't believe the still have the right to, they believe in spreading the word of Yahweh in different languages to different parts of the world, must it be the ones you say without a single meaning, so speaking in tongues is a sign quiet alright nobody is disputing that , they are more of help to the Kingdom of God in spreading the word of Elohim in different languages of the world than someone mimicking what someone behind can't understand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Is The Saviour Of The World / Why Daddy Freeze Blocks People On Instagram. Examining Reasons / Visit To Sultan; CAN Accuses Kerry Of Bias (premium Times)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.