Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:37 AM

Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree (31743 Views)

Masari On VAT: Northern States Responsible For Lagos, Rivers Development / VAT Collection: Appeal Court Orders Rivers, Lagos To Maintain Status Quo / Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by ddeola: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2021
Make dem collect VAT from the herdsmen and bandits nau... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by whela(m): 6:28am On Sep 05, 2021
North sọ has nothing to contribute wants federal to collect tax so that they'll benefit where they didn't sow...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 05, 2021
Stupid wicked politicians in the north destroyed the north with terrorism but they never saw this coming. Now they would have to focus on rebuilding their states. No business no revenue.

So they planned on destroying it all only to suck doe from the South. No wonder they are trying to appease the Yorubas, for if Lagos decides to stand own its own, Abuja and other northern states except Kano would be useless without it as it accounts for the 55% they receive. So in reality, Lagos should be the capital of Nigeria and not Abuja

I hope this encourages people and governors to develop their states because in the end we all gain.

This here has already divided Nigeria as states have opened their eyes to the daylight robbery that's been happening for years

9 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by rSOMA7: 6:37am On Sep 05, 2021
shocked WOW! BUILD A LUCRATIVE CAREER IN I.T
Grab this
I.T MEGA BUNDLE and Go from ZERO to HERO in just 6 months. 30% discount expires tomorrow.
|=============>WhatsApp Me if interested<=============|
For Students, Job seekers, Youth Corpers, I.T professionals, Freelancers, Non I.T professionals who want a change in career path, If you'd like to work remotely for one of Fortune 500 companies, Or If you had genuine plans to JAPA.

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by frugal(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2021
Urbanchampion:
Why is every national disagreement always a case of the North vs the South? Something is fundamentally wrong with our Union, we shouldn't keep pretending that we're fine the way we are.
Reason why South needs to come together and fight for decentralization. Forget separation. Complete decentralization is even better than dividing the country. It's the key to the growth that has eluded us for so long. The north knows this and will fight to prevent this from ever happening. They have nothing to offer the union, just leeching off of it.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Focusmind: 6:38am On Sep 05, 2021
I fully support the States governments on this matter. My fear is that some Southern governors would soon chicken out. Even the Lagos State that is making noise now would soon bow to FG because it is an APC state.

States should be able to control their VAT receipts and not FG. Beer and Alcoholic companies makes huge VAT from Anambra state and remit the money to FG instead of Anambra State, were the consumption of the Alcohol took place.

North should start charging VAT on sale of Agricultural produce as well and retain the money. That's how it should be.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by UltimateSpice: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
Good development.

But the main issue is let the revenue be used for real developmental projects.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by newaspiration: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
My reservation and concern on the judgement is for companies that collects tax clearance certificate from FIRS. On submission of Audited financial statement for issuance of TCC. The FIRS when discover that VAT are not remitted to them, might compel the company to pay VAT on Turnover which might lead to double taxation on payment. This must be look into and taken into consideration.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by v2: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
Why should the North agree?

Leeches.
Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Penguin2: 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
Urbanchampion:

They can as well take their 7.5 from the ransoms they pay to the Abuja coordinating kidnapping syndicates.
Imagine the lies, rather than the Gombe government official telling the truth just like his Plateau counterpart , come clean that they don't have what to tax, he's still lying that they don't have capacity. If they have the capacity, what would they tax, kunnu or almajiri?

For how long are we going to wait for them to develop capacity?

Again they are talking about multiple taxation as if things like that can’t be harmonized. Things can be harmonized to state that goods on transit should only pay VAT either at state of departure and state of arrival or to just one state. Rather than paying at every state boundary. I know the north is just looking for flimsy excuses.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by slowice(m): 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
To attract investment and earn big from vat, you ve to create an investment friendly environment that supports business growth.

Osho free has blinded the North that's the reason for their "I don't care" attitude. If they are made to fend for themselves they ll sit up and be business minded not shariah hisbah and all those other nonsense they do religiously after eating free meals of vat collected from serious southern States.

It will also make other slow southern States government to sit up and make their states viable. In the long run, it ll be a win win for the south. Enjoy your money.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by emmadejust(m): 6:39am On Sep 05, 2021
The issue of paying multiple vat for goods & vehicles on transit because of interstate , will affect cost of transportation & goods etc ,
For example if you bought goods from Lagos going to port harcourt, you will be demanded to pay 7.5% vat along any state you passed because of states collection

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by annisy(f): 6:41am On Sep 05, 2021
The north will also prefer the federal government to collect the vat, you say alcohol is haram but the VAT collected from the same alcohol is not haram!!! State should collect the VAT so they will understand that politics and governance is different from religion

8 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Moblux(m): 6:41am On Sep 05, 2021
affable4:
Do you see that these people know what they are doing. They can't even pretend any longer.

The north wants the federal government to collect tax so they can have equal share from something they have zero contribution.

Very annoying.

Very very 'annoyingstic'

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by EndBuhariNow(m): 6:44am On Sep 05, 2021
Northern states contributes absolutely nothing to Nigeria development... how I wish yellowbar Muslims go see things as it unfolds

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by lanocconsulting: 6:44am On Sep 05, 2021
Abia should follow suit abeg, VAT sharing is a grave injustice. Nice thing it is getting corrected

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 05, 2021
Esseite:
It's a good development... states would take security and tourism very serious which bring about infrastructure and business attractions.

On the second hand, you cant have only one functioning seaport and then a state tries to monopolize its VAT.
So it is one seaport we have in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by UncleJudax(m): 6:46am On Sep 05, 2021
More money to embezzle.
Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by onegig(m): 6:51am On Sep 05, 2021
When Nigeria is ready to grow. We would shed all those silly rules hindering development.

Yes, some states might need subsidies but such subsidies should be aimed at helping those states generate more funds and not build more mosques or churches or spend on irrelevant expenditures. If you are cash strapped, you shouldn't go on a jollification trip or sponsoring frivolous programs.

If a state knows it doesn't generate enough VAT, it won't go and build a useless airport that only receieves a single flight once in a month. It would make them sit up and aim their resources at entities that would yield more VAT.

It even goes against commonsense that a state works hard to create the enabling environment for businesses to thrive. Provides security, build new roads and infrastructure but the Tax of using those infrastructure to generate money doesn't go back to the state but rather a central purse where it is given meagre sum. Also States should be able to determine their VATs. If i want to encourage new businesses in my state, i can actually remove such VAT based on my financial standings and projections. This current "one size fits all" doesn't encourage growth.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by adecz: 6:51am On Sep 05, 2021
❌As usual, the parasitic north will
object to States collecting VAT, because
in the guise & name of religion they do
all in their powers to destroy & kill off legitimate businesses in their States. Therefore, in their own region, they do not have businesses that they can charge VAT for.

⏩They then wait for other States in other regions to collect VAT from different sources, including breweries & then share with them, to use to build mosques & finance Hisbah &
herdsmen.

⏩ Recently, Kano State Govt declared
that all viewing centres will be closed &
converted to mosques. They also close
down hospitality & relaxation spots in the
name of shari'a.

⏩If they want VAT, they should collect it
from the thousands of mosques in their
region & tax herdsmen 2000per head
of cattle.

The era of baboon chopping from the
hardworking monkey must end &
make everybody suck him mama breast
You can't kill your mama & go dey fight
other people to share dem mama breast
with you.

TOTAL nonsense and ingredients ❗️❗️☹️☹️

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Godbless3(m): 6:55am On Sep 05, 2021
We drink beer for south and you destroy beer for north as it is against islam yet you want VAT collected from drinking beer for south to be share to the north.. grin grin grin
North is the greatest problem of Nigeria and crocodile to the south.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by onegig(m): 6:56am On Sep 05, 2021
emmadejust:
The issue of paying multiple vat for goods & vehicles on transit because of interstate , will affect cost of transportation & goods etc ,
For example if you bought goods from Lagos going to port harcourt, you will be demanded to pay 7.5% vat along any state you passed because of states collection

Nigeria does not practice distribution tax or goods in transit tax to the best of my knowledge.

VAT here is more like consumption tax i.e at the point of use. The end user always pays the final cost of VAT. If i am transporting goods then the end users in the state i am transporting to would be required to pay such taxes at the point of sale.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by galaxy2020(m): 6:56am On Sep 05, 2021
Why will they disagree? Lazy north, always parasiting to survive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Miosendyin: 6:56am On Sep 05, 2021
Useless Northerners they want FG to collect tax and continue using it to develop their states and funding their useless terrorist. You called many things haram yet you want to eat from what was made with haram

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by aminusodiq(m): 6:58am On Sep 05, 2021
Urbanchampion:
Why is every national disagreement always a case of the North vs the South? Something is fundamentally wrong with our Union, we shouldn't keep pretending that we're fine the way we are.
in all sincerity... Something is actually wrong! And the gross hypocrisy is from the north

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by proprince(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2021
As expected, the north will always fight progresses like this.

Idiots.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by Princedapace(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2021
SmartPolician:

The only thing wrong with the union is that the states in the north are not willing to look inwards and tap into their strength for the improvement of the lives of its people. They want to keep reaping where they didn't sow.

To the news , this is a test of resource control and true federalism. Technically, Rivers State has kicked off the process without waiting for the divisive federal government. I think another state should challenge federal policing, while another drags the FG to court to challenge why it collects the proceeds from resources in its domain.

Perhaps if this FG is reluctant to do the needful, states will apply legal means to get it to restructure the country. This is the best way to get an irresponsible government to do what it is supposed to do, not calling for secession.

Also, if a governor cannot generate revenue for his state, he should step aside. Governance should be about competition and it should be left for smart people who have outside-the-box thinking dexterity, not for nonentities who want to lazy about and loot scarce resources.

Oga, u made a good point but calling for secession is not crime o.

Black man should know this. It is a crime. If u don't want people to leave the union, do the needful. Make the system favorable to all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by udemzyudex(m): 7:09am On Sep 05, 2021
FG and North can go and d..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by HabaHaba: 7:09am On Sep 05, 2021
In the animal farm, some animals are more equal than others.

Hehehehhhheheh. E don shele!
Re: Lagos, Rivers Begin VAT Collection, FG, North Disagree by cocolacec(m): 7:10am On Sep 05, 2021
Princedapace:

Oga, u made a good point but calling for secession is not crime o.

Black man should know this. It is a crime. If u don't want people to leave the union, do the needful. Make the system favorable to all.
Nigeria will suceed,if the country goes back to 10 regional govt,each region will control its resources,military,Parliament etc
The regions should be
1.Yoruba region
2.Hausa/Fulani region
3.Ibo region
4.Edo/Urhobo region
5.Upper middle belt region
6.Kanuri region
7.Ijaw Region
8.Efik/Ibibio region
9.Lower middle belt region
10 Central middle belt region

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abati Counters Rufai Oseni On Live TV / Nigerian Soldier Who Was Shot By Boko Haram While Fighting Recovers. Photos / The Real Meaning Of NNPC And DSS By Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.