Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,080 members, 7,818,233 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW (11346 Views)

From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move / Nigeria’s First 10MW Katsina Windfarm Nears Completion: Photos / Private Sector Alternative To NEPA: Aba Power Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by vanunu: 3:37pm On May 24, 2011
10MW is toooo small to make any reasonable impart, this could be compared to the one built by Geometric for Aso rock, lets we forget a power project is not a child's-play, The one being built at Alaoji in Aba is 800MW, the one at ossisioma is about 200MW and the one being built at Egbema is about 400mw. From my experience Gas powered power plant is far better than diesel powered.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by EkoIle1: 3:53pm On May 24, 2011
vanunu:

10MW is toooo small to make any reasonable impart, this could be compared to the one built by Geometric for Aso rock, lets we forget a power project is not a child's-play, The one being built at Alaoji in Aba is 800MW, the one at ossisioma is about 200MW and the one being built at Egbema is about 400mw. From my experience Gas powered power plant is far better than diesel powered.

10MW is going to guarantee uninterrupted power supply to 2 hospitals, our state house and 20 streets in Lagos state.

The question now is, can all the crap you sited issue the same guarantee to Lagosians and the places I mentioned or to any part of Nigeria?

Let me help you, the answer is NO,
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On May 24, 2011
vanunu:

10MW is toooo small to make any reasonable impart, this could be compared to the one built by Geometric for Aso rock, lets we forget a power project is not a child's-play, The one being built at Alaoji in Aba is 800MW, the one at ossisioma is about 200MW and the one being built at Egbema is about 400mw.  From my experience Gas powered power plant is far better than diesel powered.

Here is what you need to see . . . .

Quote from: Sharon_f on Today at 03:12:21 AM
This is good but dont get unrealistic expectations of the project. It will provide power to -
2 hospitals
2 courts
the State house
some Street lights.

Be realistic

It is what each and every Government/Local Government ought to get into considering the amount of money our states and federal pour into generators, diesel, and repair each year. I believe a couple of years ago someone even suggested local wind turbines in Lagos and other marine states would go a long way in powering Government offices and relieving the national grid. We spend billions of Naira on just that Each year. With a power plant like this, we can spend less on that and move on to other things.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by brosd2: 4:45pm On May 24, 2011
How i wish all the states Governors can generate power independently.
Say a minimum of 100 MW,that will amount to 36(states) x 100 MW = 3,600 MW.
By the time this is added up to what is been generated nationally (3,800 MW i think),then we would be better off.
I hope Mr.President
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 24, 2011
If you love Nigeria, and you want our children children to enjoy the dividend of democracy, then you must start under ground work now to make sure we put Fashola at the helms of affairs of this nation by year 2015, Fashola need to serve Nigeria not only Lagos for some certain things to be in Place.

Fashola is one of the greatest Nigeria Politician of our time, we must not allow this oppourtunity to pass us by, he must be president come 2015

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Fhemmmy: 6:55pm On May 24, 2011
Great initiative . . . . .
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Rossikk(m): 8:46pm On May 24, 2011
This is crazy. Nothing less than a 100mw plant should even make the news. These guys just stuck in a 10mw generator there, and we're praising them? Ridiculous!
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by yabereoje(m): 9:18pm On May 24, 2011
fashola, my prayer for u is that God will continue to guide you in wisdom and he'll keep u humble and give u a passionate heart of flesh and listening ears to sustain ur drive at being a servant leader to the state. All will be well wt u as u continue to put smile on d face of lagosians. Long live fashola
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by chuqudy(m): 9:54pm On May 24, 2011
Rossikk:

This is crazy. Nothing less than a 100mw plant should even make the news. These guys just stuck in a 10mw generator there, and we're praising them? Ridiculous!

Funny. After Fashola goes out, the next governor will begin to suffer the whole thing because Lagos is owing heavily now.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 10:55pm On May 24, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by jawjaw1: 11:12pm On May 24, 2011
[size=15pt]Big Uncle Fash, abeg finish with Lagos lets send you to Abuja in 2015 to go and show them how it is done!!![/size]
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 11:13pm On May 24, 2011
nues aweso:

Fashola is just a fraud!

All these projects are not sustainable . . . bloody waste of money!

Imagine a separate underground distribution network, cost of cabling would be massive, the different buildings would need separate step down tranformers cos those generator's output are 11KV. They would need to disconnect these buildings from the Grid supplied network else its accident waiting to happen in terms of fault levels in the network.

Why would courts need 24hr uninterruptibe power supply? what would happen when people finish work at 5/6pm? - turn off 4 out of 6 generators? This guy is just a fraud! He is simply synthesising the cost of running independent generators at different locations into one and hoodwinking the public by making them think he is serving their interest.

Fashola, you cant keep doing all these crap and believe we are all illiterates.

The other day I read he went for pre shipping inspections of trains - already?! When did the design work start? Were site specific data incorporated into the design or he just went to buy fairly used stuffs designed for colder ambient temperatures? Earthworks hasnt even gone beyond Festac and blimey! the trains are ready! So are the trains gonna sit at the ports till they complete the earthworks up to Okokomaiko or are the trains gonna plying mile 2 - orile? a la lekki expressway tollgate style. . . mschew

If Engineers dont start asking questions now, we would all be in deeper  sh yte with all these Fashola abracadabra.

OK may be that was too hard, but Mr Fashola should strive for sustainable projects rather than cheap political points, afterall election don finish.

I don't know much about the power project but you are clueless as regards the trains.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by jawjaw1: 11:20pm On May 24, 2011
@ nues aweso

I don't know where to start in responding to you but I will say this for sure.

In a year or two when the rail project is over, you will have no choice but to carry all your shame and enter those trains to move around Lagos.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 11:22pm On May 24, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 11:29pm On May 24, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 11:45pm On May 24, 2011
nues aweso:

Dude, dont misunderstand me, Fashola will definitely go ahead and implement those 15 year old trains.

2 years time i will carry my shame and enter those trains and move around Lagos. But trust me 5 years later your kids will curse you when they have to start all over again.

If those stuffs are 15yrs old now, think  how would you get spares in 5/ 10 yrs when they start breaking down? Ever heard about ageing and obsolescence? People think and ask questions please!!! Am i alone here or are other Engineers around in the house?

Sorry but you don't sound like an engineer to me. An engineer wouldn't assume that a large contract like this wouldn't have clauses dealing with servicing and parts as would be the norm in these kind of purchases. An engineer would instead ask if the deal includes such clauses. Being close minded again?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 11:48pm On May 24, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 11:54pm On May 24, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 12:18am On May 25, 2011
nues aweso:

Now you are getting there. I dont know what your background is, but definitely not engineering. Contracts having clauses isnt the problem. Problem is getting the much needed parts from the OEM - original equipment manufacturer. OEM could have gone out of business, micro electronics lines are closed down easily as new technologies takes over etc.

Dude, sure ive made my point even if you dont agree. I'm signing off the thread.

Oops! Ive just realised i'v been replying using my coded ID, anyways doesnt matter. lipsrsealed

Ahahahaha! Any manufacturer can go out of business. It matters not if the product is new or old. Any company specific developed technology will die along with a bankrupt/shut down company (unless bought out or sold to another company). Basically I don't get your point here.

Also those trains are being refitted to the spec required by Eko rail. So I still don't get your point. Even if we bought TGV trains. Of what advantage would it be to us if Alstom then went out of business?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 12:23am On May 25, 2011
nues aweso:

Are you saying when LASG published the invitation to tender for bids (if any), they requested for 15 year old trains?

I have no idea. Are you suggesting they requested 5 year old trains?
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by manny4life(m): 12:32am On May 25, 2011
nues aweso:

Dude, dont misunderstand me, Fashola will definitely go ahead and implement those 15 year old trains.

2 years time i will carry my shame and enter those trains and move around Lagos. But trust me 5 years later your kids will curse you when they have to start all over again.

If those stuffs are 15yrs old now, think  how would you get spares in 5/ 10 yrs when they start breaking down? Ever heard about ageing and obsolescence? People think and ask questions please!!! Am i alone here or are other Engineers around in the house?

Hey I'm no engineer and not claiming to be one either; while I understand your concern, being that I have at least an ok background in numbers, perhaps Fashola was looking from the number scenario here. It's true that these trains are 15 year old train  but he could have bought them pennies on the dollar because those trains are nearly or even fully depreciated on TTC balance sheets so him buying them pennies on the dollar assuming if that's what he did, I think that's a good idea. That way, the govt better plan and forecast for better trains capable of high demand etc, and 5 years is more than enough to decide if or not what to do with it. If they went out of business, get a company that will manufacture exactly the same parts or similar to it, or redesign it differently. I say this because the train I use daily operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), are doing exactly the same thing. They bought their stock in the 70's and the company are either out of business or bought over or some story, what they did is re manufacture some of the parts themselves using other companies, it just cost them a lil more than they would have if they bought from the company itself

No back to the topic, 10MW is good for a start; at least there is hope for another 10, 20 50 or even 100. At least there is an effort shown; that's what matters.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by emmatok(m): 12:39am On May 25, 2011
nues aweso:

Fashola is just a fraud!

All these projects are not sustainable . . . bloody waste of money!

Imagine a separate underground distribution network, cost of cabling would be massive, the different buildings would need separate step down tranformers cos those generator's output are 11KV. They would need to disconnect these buildings from the Grid supplied network else its accident waiting to happen in terms of fault levels in the network.

Why would courts need 24hr uninterruptibe power supply? what would happen when people finish work at 5/6pm? - turn off 4 out of 6 generators? This guy is just a fraud! He is simply synthesising the cost of running independent generators at different locations into one and hoodwinking the public by making them think he is serving their interest.

Fashola, you cant keep doing all these crap and believe we are all illiterates.

The other day I read he went for pre shipping inspections of trains - already?! When did the design work start? Were site specific data incorporated into the design or he just went to buy fairly used stuffs designed for colder ambient temperatures? Earthworks hasnt even gone beyond Festac and blimey! the trains are ready! So are the trains gonna sit at the ports till they complete the earthworks up to Okokomaiko or are the trains gonna plying mile 2 - orile? a la lekki expressway tollgate style. . . mschew

If Engineers dont start asking questions now, we would all be in deeper  sh yte with all these Fashola abracadabra.

OK may be that was too hard, but Mr Fashola should strive for sustainable projects rather than cheap political points, afterall election don finish.

You no know ZERO about engineering.

The whole of Banana Island runs underground distribution conduit and it cost less to implement.

What is the use of 11KV generator when there is a 10MW IPP project naer by. Abi you no know the difference btw KV and MW? undecided

A simple Telecom Base Station need at lest 50KV generator to power the BTS equipment and you are talk about 11KV .

Abegi no be by force to criticize.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by ektbear: 1:11am On May 25, 2011
10 MW directly supplying important buildings is better than 100 MW generated and unable to go anywhere due to a lack of a transmission and distribution work.

Notice that Lagos has cut out the middle man (transmission network) that hindered the 270MW IPP they did back in 1999.

This is kind of a big deal, folks.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by nuesaweso(f): 7:31am On May 25, 2011
angry
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by otokx(m): 10:39am On May 25, 2011
10MW though looking minute is a good start if it can power those projects because in Nigeria many things are done which only exist in paper. This is more or less 8MW since 2MW will be based on diesel which is very expensive now.

For the chap that said Rivers is doing 150MW let us clap in Swahili for you. Another project that exists only on paper and in the empty words of some ye-ye politician.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by hercules07: 10:41am On May 25, 2011
@nues

The different buildings probably have their transformers now, most big buildings in Nigeria have their own transformers and I am sure they went for 11KV because that is what exists in those premises,
You asked for what will happen to power generated from 6pm onwards, couple of things can happen, they can throttle back their generation or companies that run 24 hours can take power from the station between those hours no be rocket science now.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by Mariory(m): 11:15am On May 25, 2011
hercules07:

@nues

You asked for what will happen to power generated from 6pm onwards, couple of things can happen, they can throttle back their generation or companies that run 24 hours can take power from the station between those hours no be rocket science now.

I can't believe I missed that in his previous post. The power can also be distributed to the 20 residential streets connected to the network.
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by babapupa: 1:59pm On May 25, 2011
hercules07:

@nues

The different buildings probably have their transformers now, most big buildings in Nigeria have their own transformers and I am sure they went for 11KV because that is what exists in those premises,

I think the poster crated a silly and non issue argument just to criticize,
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by omoola007(m): 8:22pm On May 25, 2011
Regarding the refurbished train. I don't know how many of you have taken this type of train, but they are essential metal and stainless steel casing vehicles with finished interior with plastic (seats) , stainless steel (poles), vinyl (floor) , etc so to refurbish you strip the whole interior and replace every wiring and surface so the only old part the the casing(train).

Big city transport authorities do it all the time it's like overhauling a Mack truck but unlike that there is no engine all the power will come from brand new locomotives. It's a great way to save money don't forget there are 6 total planned train lines in Lagos so the sooner they recoup the cost the faster they can start on the other lines and in 10 years after recouping and making profit you just replace the trains.

Can't wait to ride the train in Lagos again
Re: Island Power Project (Lagos) To Generate 10MW by member479760: 11:43am On May 27, 2011
yeye don start again, 10MW big generator for who?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Will Make Nigeria Self-sufficient In Food Production – Dangote / FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso / Chinese Company, Shenzhen Lemi To Establish Battery Factory In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.