Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,900 members, 7,810,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso (11330 Views)

$10bn Debt: CBN Defaults On Payment To Banks, Dollar Nears ₦‎1,000 / Rising Influence Of Fintech Big Threat To Banks, Says Emefiele / Top Five Banks Account For 47% Of Industry’s Impaired Credits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Paraman: 2:18pm On Mar 01
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Olayemi Cardoso, has said that foreign exchange backlogs have been cleared in all the banks except for five of them.

Cardoso said this on Thursday during an investor call facilitated by the Nigerian Exchange Group, during which he said that the remainder of the banks’ FX backlogs would be cleared in the next few days.

The CBN governor stated, “Basically, what we have done with those is that we have paid as much as we can to the point where we have cleared the backlog of all the banks save five. All the banks’ genuine and verifiable backlogs have been cleared, save five.

“We are confident that we will shortly be in a position where the whole issue of forwards would be behind us. I would say in the next few days we should be in a position where the balance of the five would have been put behind us.

“I have tried as much as possible to be consistent on this matter. I don’t make promises I don’t fulfil. The last time I spoke on this matter, I was confident that within one month, we would be more or less out of it and I’m saying again that right now, I think in the course of the next few days maybe a week and a half, this should be put behind us.”

The apex bank governor also revealed that Nigeria had attracted $2bn in foreign portfolio inflows this year.

According to the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria recorded a total of $3bn in foreign portfolio inflows in 2023.

In an interview in early February, Cardoso had revealed that about $2.4bn of the $7bn foreign exchange backlog he met when he got into office were from non-existing entities, and requests without import documents among other infractions.

“We discovered that of the roughly $7bn, about $2.4bn had issues. We believed that they had no business being there. The infractions ranged from so many things. For example, not having valid import documents and in some cases entities that did not exist and in some cases, account parties who had asked for foreign exchange and got more than they asked for and some that didn’t even ask for any and got. There were a whole load of infractions there,” he said.

https://punchng.com/fx-debt-cbn-owing-only-five-banks-says-cardoso/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by DevilsEqual(m): 2:22pm On Mar 01
cheesy

Cardoso now looks like he has the solution to all our problem, in terms of this high inflation and Naira depreciation

He and Edun should do more to ensure things return to normal

They've moved so fast in the last one week that you'd keep wondering how possible is it to do all that within few days.. They are innovative

Obidients, lets come and wail on this thread, lets ocme up with our shitty negative analysis that defies every economic sense. cheesy cheesy cheesy..
We go well las las

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by christejames(m): 2:24pm On Mar 01
So CBN is also owing shocked shocked shocked

No wonder they 'kidnapped' Binance CEO and requested for 10 Billion dollars ransom shocked shocked shocked

Tinubu don cash out! grin

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by lifeandjoy: 2:49pm On Mar 01
grin
Cardoso wey no sabi
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by inoki247: 2:50pm On Mar 01
Debt everywhere...
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Skillsnigeria: 2:50pm On Mar 01
Hmmm
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Houseofglam7(f): 2:50pm On Mar 01
🫤
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by obaidan: 2:51pm On Mar 01
CBN dey owe Banks, Aso Villa dey owe PHCN, RCCG City of David dey Owe Late Wigwe, LAPO and co should let poor Nigerians rest

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Agbanasm: 2:55pm On Mar 01
These CBN guy seems to be competent.
may God use him to solve some of Nigeria forex and monetary problems

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Easybet1(m): 2:56pm On Mar 01
1 dollar == ₦1,560
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by temmyejo: 2:58pm On Mar 01
;DSaboteurs are collecting serious punches from CBN and if you observe well you will see the northern signature embossed on it. Just saying.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by RepoMan007: 2:59pm On Mar 01
In an interview in early February, Cardoso had revealed that about $2.4bn of the $7bn foreign exchange backlog he met when he got into office were from non-existing entities, and requests without import documents among other infractions.

“We discovered that of the roughly $7bn, about $2.4bn had issues. We believed that they had no business being there. The infractions ranged from so many things. For example, not having valid import documents and in some cases entities that did not exist and in some cases, account parties who had asked for foreign exchange and got more than they asked for and some that didn’t even ask for any and got. There were a whole load of infractions there,” he said.
Many forex demands that can't be backed with import documents or capital flight claims. As much as 2.4 out of 7.0

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Atheistan: 3:06pm On Mar 01
Haa
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Kenneth4u205(m): 3:07pm On Mar 01
useless governor. will that make the price of food and fuel to return back to original price of 2015?
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Nword22: 3:11pm On Mar 01
Our son emefule is far better than this olodo from somewhere
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by soullove1881(m): 3:11pm On Mar 01
christejames:
So CBN is also owing shocked shocked shocked

No wonder they 'kidnapped' Binance CEO and requested for 10 Billion dollars ransom shocked shocked shocked

Tinubu don cash out! grin

Commercial banks process dollar transactions on behalf of CBN or you wan go queue for CBN when commercial banks are there🤣

15 Likes

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Shikena(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01
Excellent job. Keep moving! Psalm 23:5 on you, on Nigeria as a nation, and on all men and women of goodwill in Nigeria including Nigerians home and abroad.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Blackhacker(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01
Does anyone think we are heading in the right direction now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Elvis2kay: 3:15pm On Mar 01
cool
Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Judolisco(m): 3:16pm On Mar 01
Ino pity tinubu oh... Jonathan was doing a wonderful job... But because u guys wanted power by force... U handed power to buhari,buhari of all people oh

1 Like

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Elvis2kay: 3:17pm On Mar 01
Kenneth4u205:
useless governor. will that make the price of food and fuel to return back to original price of 2015?
You never still get job🤔

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by patrickcollins: 3:18pm On Mar 01
DevilsEqual:
cheesy

Cardoso now looks like he has the solution to all our problem, in terms of this high inflation and Naira depreciation

He and Edun should do more to ensure things return to normal

They've moved so fast in the last one week that you'd keep wondering how possible is it to do all that within few days.. They are innovative

Obidients, lets come and wail on this thread, lets ocme up with our shitty negative analysis that defies every economic sense. cheesy cheesy cheesy..
We go well las las
If they can't bring the exchange rate down they should bring it to what it was when Buhari left office we go manage am

3 Likes

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Typing: 3:21pm On Mar 01
Agbanasm:
These CBN guy seems to be competent.
may God use him to solve some of Nigeria forex and monetary problems

Kamaru take ya time.
How is he competent when he single handedly destroyed the economy? He is now paying a trillion naira every month on subsidy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 3:22pm On Mar 01
Please I need a clarification on the situation of this country.

CBN and some people are claiming that naira to dollar rate is dropping but some companies goods dey rise, wetin dey sup.

1 Like

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by allthingsgood: 3:23pm On Mar 01
Nigerians only like bad news

They wont like to comment here

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by money121(m): 3:23pm On Mar 01
Clap for cardoso

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by allthingsgood: 3:23pm On Mar 01
Typing:

Kamaru take ya time.
How is he competent when he single handedly destroyed the economy? He is now paying a trillion naira every month on subsidy

And where did u get this fake news

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by allthingsgood: 3:24pm On Mar 01
Judolisco:
Ino pity tinubu oh... Jonathan was doing a wonderful job... But because u guys wanted power by force... U handed power to buhari,buhari of all people oh

Jonathan doing a wonderful job i think you may be suffering from selective amnesia

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Judolisco(m): 3:27pm On Mar 01
allthingsgood:

Jonathan doing a wonderful job i think you may be suffering from selective amnesia
compared to buhari... Jonathan did a great job

1 Like

Re: FOREX Debt: CBN Owing Only Five Banks, Says Cardoso by Vision101(m): 3:29pm On Mar 01
Blackhacker:
Does anyone think we are heading in the right direction now?
Yeah..... absolutely. I know Mr Yemi Cardoso. Perfect gentleman. I worked under him. He has large pool of brilliant friends that he can draw knowledge from. Nigerian problems are not one man show.

See the mess from emefiele. $7b dollars in forwards out of which $2.4b are fake. Can someone see how deep Nigerian problem is?

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire At Katako Market In Jos, Shops Burnt, Many Injured / Naira To Dollar On Aliexpress / Is Craybid.com Telling Me I Can Get A Samsung For Less Than #2000 Naira??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.