Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG (12075 Views)

No Agreement Yet With ASUU - FG / No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU / No Date For School Resumption Yet - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by adenigga(m): 3:54am On Sep 07, 2021
The Federal Government has said it is not correct for the Academic Staff Union of Universities to accuse it of failing to implement the agreement it signed with the union.
It said there was a process through which decisions on such issues were taken and that process had not been followed through as far as the agreement being referred to by ASUU was concerned.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, who disclosed this in an interview with one of our correspondents while reacting to the fresh ultimatum recently issued by ASUU, accused the union of causing panic.

The PUNCH had last week quoted ASUU as expressing its readiness to embark on another round of industrial action following what it called the failure of the Federal Government to implement an earlier agreement signed with the union.
The union gave the government till last Tuesday to implement the pact or it would activate the procedure of embarking on a strike.

The President, ASUU, Prof Emmanuel Osodeke, told The PUNCH that the Federal Government must do what it agreed to.

He said, “The government has refused to reach out to us. Government officials have stopped. In fact, they don’t take our calls again. Nigerians should tell the government to do what it agreed to do.

“We signed an agreement and in May, we reached a final agreement; this is August and nothing has been implemented. Does it make any sense?”

But Ngige told The PUNCH that ASUU was referring to a meeting its leaders had with the Ministry of Education.

He said for the resolution at that meeting to become an agreement, there were laid down procedures that must be followed.

The minister said such an agreement must pass through his ministry and end up at the Federal Executive Council, where a final decision would be reached on it.

He explained, “ASUU was talking about a meeting it had at the Ministry of Education. I have not received any report on that meeting.

“When they mention the government, I get confused whether they mean the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning or the Presidential Committee on Salaries and Wages or my ministry.

“When they talk about the government, it is a bogus statement, which they use all the time to confuse the public.

“My ministry is the last point of call when negotiations with their employers fail. I have nothing to do with their initial negotiation. But that particular negotiation they are talking about has to do with wages again.

“They are asking for an increase in money. So, when they finish in the Ministry of Education and the National Universities Commission, they have to bring it.

“If the Ministry of Education agrees, it will bring it to the Salaries and Wages Commission as well as the Presidential Committee on Salaries and Wages to look at. That is how the government works.

“It is the report of the meeting with the education ministry that they said has not been signed. They will not sign until it is looked critically at the ministry and they feel it is fit and proper to present to the government under the Presidential Committee on Salaries and Wages as well as the Salaries and Wages Commission.

“If we are satisfied at that level, we take it to the Federal Executive Council. These are the stages. Let them not be pretending as if they don’t know.”

The minister accused the union of always issuing strike threats to cause panic among the populace.

He added, “They just brandish these strike threats and cause panic among members of the public, which is not fair.
“The thing has a route. Babalakin was negotiating it before he was removed and the committee re-constituted with a new chairman.

“The committee has been working. People came into that committee as members and some others to observe. My ministry’s people are there to observe.”

When Oshodeke was contacted on the allegations made against ASUU by Ngige, he declined making further comments.

“I don’t want to respond to Ngige through the press. When I see him one on one, I will raise the issue with him. More so, I spoke with him at length yesterday (Sunday),” the ASUU President stated.
Source: https://punchng.com/ASUU-fresh-strike-threat-causing-panic-no-agreement-yet-FG

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Mcfi(m): 4:21am On Sep 07, 2021
What is really wrong with this country sef? Health and education systems are still staggering Instead of strengthening them, rather the government are more concerned about some unnecessary issues. Just imagine cattle herders decide to go on strike I bet their demands will be granted swiftly. Since I came into existence and started having sense, I have been hearing ASUU and doctor strike. Baba God which way Na where have we gone wrong?

FTC

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Lordjiggs09(m): 4:24am On Sep 07, 2021
Please not again. When two elephants fight, we all know it's the grass that bears the brunt of it all. Enough said.

See my market oh.
Hot sale
Desc: A genuine standard plot measuring 50ft×100ft. In a built up area. Buy and build, very accessible.

Location: Ibagwa Nike, back of NNPC filling station along Enugu-Nsukka expressway.

Title: Allocation certificate.

Price: #4m (Four million naira) only.
A direct brief of Skye-light real estate.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by dalongjnr: 4:30am On Sep 07, 2021
ASUU and strike!
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by adenigga(m): 4:46am On Sep 07, 2021
dalongjnr:
ASUU and strike!
5 & 6......

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by veekid(m): 4:54am On Sep 07, 2021
Sai Baba
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Offorgerald15(m): 4:55am On Sep 07, 2021
Dear ASUU, we are still patiently waiting for the strike, abi una top 9 striker d on injury?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by money121(m): 4:58am On Sep 07, 2021
Yimu
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by malcolmjmoney(m): 5:03am On Sep 07, 2021
Why can't fg find a lasting situation to this strike issue, it's so bad that universities no longer intrigue the youths anymore but cyber crime gets her way because of strikes and idleness.. Nothing like having a govt without a template or future achievable plan for growth and economic growth all they know is to share money

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by silverkings: 5:09am On Sep 07, 2021
Only cows matter in this administration. Nothing else.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Bola146(f): 5:10am On Sep 07, 2021
Jesu lipsrsealed
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Sammysolution: 5:12am On Sep 07, 2021
This country is bleeding, God please help this country.
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by kennyz247(m): 5:15am On Sep 07, 2021
may God help us in ds coun3ry... nothing is going well with this prison called Nigeria
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Ogbodavies(m): 5:16am On Sep 07, 2021
naija govt n excuses na like bread n butter.
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by eedimo(m): 5:23am On Sep 07, 2021
ASUU has been turned to a toothless bulldog just like their mother NLC

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Waterlilly: 5:28am On Sep 07, 2021
I sorry for our students
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by MoIbrahim: 5:36am On Sep 07, 2021
Health and education under jeopardy, and the ineffective ministers are retained. Can a government really get more useless than this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by sinkhole: 5:38am On Sep 07, 2021
Na like dis dem talk till Doctors go strike o!
E bi like say na strike ASUU dey go las las embarassed

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by michael1508: 5:45am On Sep 07, 2021
FG,ASUU and everybody should getat abeg
Our educational system has always been a shit-hole,this old people always looking for ways to enrich their money engrossing bottomless pockets,not as if the students benefit from all these jargons at the end.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:56am On Sep 07, 2021
The FG had been playing hanky panky like a fraudster.

You promise these unions things and you don't do them in years.

This is terrible and despicable!

Truth is the FG has squandered so much money on useless things, there's no money anywhere again.

But the FG is scared of this strike, because if this students go back home to sit down, then expect an uprising worse than #EndSars!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by gambia(m): 5:58am On Sep 07, 2021
I hope they resolve the issue urgently.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by zedegit: 6:05am On Sep 07, 2021
angry

Another name for ASUU is strike. Let them kukuma close all tertiary institutions in Nigeria and subsidize private universities.

You can't be earning salaries while sitting at home for years in the name of strike. I hate nonsense.
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by ALABACONNECT(m): 6:21am On Sep 07, 2021
They should resolve it already. It has stalled for way too long. Haba
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Jake420: 6:34am On Sep 07, 2021
Imagine federal government saying let them be pretending? Fg no go pay anything ASUU keep waiting for insults before strike commence
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Tyranny: 6:47am On Sep 07, 2021
The object in the mirror is more near than it appears...!

#TellEveryone
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Passionate888: 6:48am On Sep 07, 2021
I thought this government promised to prioritise education? They campaigned on no ASUU strike if elected into power grin grin grin grin
This people really change it for their supporters
Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by Passionate888: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2021
Snail baba grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by RandomVic(m): 6:54am On Sep 07, 2021
ASUU should be forthcoming with this.. Are they striking or not? Make person know his next move abeg.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG by bleskid: 6:59am On Sep 07, 2021
ASUU top Striker don go injury ,, they are just missing alot of chances .... ASUU for their Match since first half jeiiii

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. / 13 Everyday Things You’ve Been Doing Wrong All Your Life (see Photos) / SSANU, NASU Begin Warning Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.