Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application (25652 Views)

Court Quashes Debe's Suit, Awards Ojukwu's Will To Bianca / Nigeria Wins As UK Court Quashes $11 Billion P&ID Award / Supreme Court Quashes Peter Nwaoboshi's Conviction, Orders Immediate Release (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by yemmight(m): 2:18pm On Sep 07, 2021
This is an eye opener.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Geeman2006: 2:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
Fahdiga:
States should be allowed to collect taxes within their jurisdiction so as to aid their development and not FIRS collecting tax on behalf of terrorist Fulani led federal government which bandits will still collect as ransom or amnesty. Enough of this bullying of the south by the terrorist
and almajiri infested north

Morning till Night on Nairaland and the only thing that gives you Nightmares is North, hausa & fulani.
Dont you have work or any other matter of the day to attend too.
You are sounding like a broken record, Fulani this , North that. You no dey tire.
Na Bitc*es dey whine like this abeg.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by do4luv14(m): 2:29pm On Sep 07, 2021
ki02020:
Wake up call from Rivers and Lagos

Those VAT should also include those on oil, that's the resource control we Niger deltans had been advocating for since,

How FG go just carry our oyel wall dash Alakija like that, she go come the form riches woman for our front, Mbah e yaf do
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by omoharry(f): 2:32pm On Sep 07, 2021
GardenOfGod:
Gov. Wike is a man with balls. All southern states should follow suit immediately.
Lagos is already catching in on that .. u know sey they like tax well well. Na dem happy pass. grin grin grin
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by GardenOfGod(m): 2:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
grin grin
omoharry:
Lagos is already catching in on that .. u know sey they like tax well well. Na dem happy pass. grin grin grin
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by boyjo: 3:01pm On Sep 07, 2021
kokoA:
In a normal society this should be good news but not Nigeria. State governments collecting vat means more money to the States which should translate to more development in the grassroots, but not my country. Smh.
I rebuke you in JESUS name.
You can see everyone is happy but you and you go ahead to insult Nigeria because you are refusing to see.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Jdbrasco2: 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2021
That's how true federalism works. You can't destroy drink in Kano and still collect a lion share from its VAT.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by boyjo: 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2021
Sunnybay7:
Northern governors will start having high blood pressure,those leeches will be running from pillar to post trying to upturn this judgement.
No I reject it in JESUS name.
They will run from pillar to post with all that they have in them to squash insecurity and banditry ana attract investment. Amen.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by kokoA(m): 3:55pm On Sep 07, 2021
boyjo:

I rebuke you in JESUS name.
You can see everyone is happy but you and you go ahead to insult Nigeria because you are refusing to see.
Go and rebuke your looting politicians.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:59pm On Sep 07, 2021
Mrnairalandd:

Rubbish!!! It’s obvious you r from the North cos your write up reeks of nothing but exploitation of the south.

Let me make what seems impossible in the North as simple as possible since you claimed that VAT issue is a tricky one. Nothing is tricky here! If a consumer buys anything in Lagos or Ogun state, a VAT ll be added to the price in Lagos state. Let’s assume a consumer is buying a can of coke/beer for #20.00 in Lagos and Lagos’s VAT is 20%, it means the consumer of this can coke ll pay #24.00 at the Till. The #4.00 goes to Lagos govt. it’s this simple!!!

What true Nigerians are saying is that it’s ridiculous and unfair for the North to take out of what they are destroying under guise of Sharia law in the North.

Very straightforward

VAT is a consumption tax. It should be paid in the state where the goods or services is to be consumed and not where it is produced.

1 Like

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by colestephan86: 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2021
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by clothingonline(m): 4:17pm On Sep 07, 2021
SarkinYarki:
This VAT thing is tricky and to get it right we must remove the Toga of emotions ....VAT is a consumption TAX!!!!! To say Lagos state generates 70 percent of VAT in Nigeria is saying Lagos State consumes 70% of Goods and services consumed in Nigeria ...Can this be true ? Is this the reality? .. As Business man I have charged VAT on products supplied to the north but ended up paying that VAT in Lagos but in reality the real person that paid that VAT was the last consumer in the north ...this thing is tricky ... Finding a fair way to allocate VAT will take alot of good brain power ..the former model wasn't fair and neither will this state model ... We must try to separate collection point from the final bearer of VAT ..the First person to pay VAT is usually not the one bears the tax eventually

Let’s follow American model state and local government should collect

Other state will be cosuming items made in their state 1st so real vat will show up in no time

2 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by mastertek: 5:09pm On Sep 07, 2021
Only for Fulani & nothern cabal to arrange judgement through the appeal or supreme Court.

No be Nigerian we dey
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Mrnairalandd: 6:18pm On Sep 07, 2021
Maduawuchukwu:

VAT is a consumption tax. It should be paid in the state where the goods or services is to be consumed and not where it is produced.

You r not smart Mr!

Read my write up all over again and tell me you didn’t repeat what was already said.

Let me reiterate what i said before, i said if Mr A buy a bottle of Redbull/Guilder in Lagos or any other state in Nigeria for #20.00 and the VAT of the state is 20%, it means Mr A ll pay #24.00. The #4.00 VAT goes to the Lagos or any state where the Redbull/Guilder was bought. So it means all Northern states where beers are banned in the North ll not be able to generate VAT on beers/gin/whiskey cos there won’t be consumers or little consumers for such products due to Islamic penalties.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by adekolaelect(m): 6:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
This is the part of welcome development that can make southern states librated from North not those stupid noise makers that think creating unrest in Nigeria can give them virtual country. Wike did this !!!!! We expect other southern governor's to bring theirs which will be value added to the south .
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by rowrowland: 7:45pm On Sep 07, 2021
This is restructuring. No need to heat up the polity ....slowly but peacefully we'll get there.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by BakingPowder247: 7:57pm On Sep 07, 2021
Geeman2006:

Morning till Night on Nairaland and the only thing that gives you Nightmares is North, hausa & fulani.
Dont you have work or any other matter of the day to attend too.
You are sounding like a broken record, Fulani this , North that. You no dey tire.
Na Bitc*es dey whine like this abeg.

grin grin
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Jaycee07(m): 10:06pm On Sep 07, 2021
Your argument defies basic economic logic. Regardless of where the final consumer lives, once a good or service is paid for, VAT Payment should automatically go to the state where that transaction was made. That explains why you have FIRS offices nationwide.
And for the records, yes Lagos state generates the most tax in Nigeria followed by Rivers State. Kano would have joined that rank, but for their religious hypocrisy.
My point is VAT paid at the point of purchase should naturally be credited to the state account regardless of who the end user is. If the end user feels aggrieved, let him stay back and purchase such good and service in his state location and pay same VAT to his state.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by Jaycee07(m): 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2021
Your argument defies basic economic logic. Regardless of where the final consumer lives, once a good or service is paid for, VAT Payment should automatically go to the state where that transaction was made. That explains why you have FIRS offices nationwide.
And for the records, yes Lagos state generates the most tax in Nigeria followed by Rivers State. Kano would have joined that rank, but for their religious hypocrisy.
My point is VAT paid at the point of purchase should naturally be credited to the state account regardless of who the end user is. If the end user feels aggrieved, let him stay back and purchase such good and service in his state location and pay same VAT to his state

3 Likes

Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by mank1234(m): 12:21am On Sep 08, 2021
So if I buy, something from an online shop in UK to be delivered to me in Nigeria I shouldn't pay VAT to UK because the item will be consumed in Nigeria?

Or are you saying that UK should share the VAT with Nigeria because final consumption is in Nigeria?

SarkinYarki:

It's actually a consumption Tax because it's ultimately borne by the final consumer of a good or service..the final consumer bears the entire brunt and not the first stage collection point ... When I buy a generator in Lagos to sell in Nassarawa state , what Value did Lagos add to the generator ? Abeg lets stop all this shallow analysis and look at the process critically ... The last stage of VAT is what matter and that where the final consumption happens and the entire brunt of the tax is borne . So if a guy in Nassarawa bears the final brunt of a tax collected in Lagos you don't want his state to have a share in it ....we need good minds to critically look at it and find a better way to share this this thing
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by mank1234(m): 12:25am On Sep 08, 2021
VAT is paid at point of adding value and the value adder can decide (should actually) to pass the cost to the next person in the value chain.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by mank1234(m): 12:26am On Sep 08, 2021
Jaycee07:
My point is VAT paid at the point of purchase should naturally be credited to the state account regardless of who the end user is. If the end user feels aggrieved, let him stay back and purchase such good and service in his state location and pay same VAT to his state

Exactly.
Re: VAT Verdict: States Begin Consultation As Court Quashes FIRS Application by fashrola(m): 1:22pm On Sep 08, 2021
mank1234:
So if I buy, something from an online shop in UK to be delivered to me in Nigeria I shouldn't pay VAT to UK because the item will be consumed in Nigeria?

Or are you saying that UK should share the VAT with Nigeria because final consumption is in Nigeria?

Why are you wasting your time on "Quota System" half-baked graduate parading his whole life on Nairaland

Even if you break it down further for his tiny brain to assimilate, he will keep arguing or try to circumvent the situation to his favour

Like I said, Wike has paved the way for other states to collect VAT for development of their states and they should use this opportunity to make sure the grassroots feel the impacts in their locality.

It's already in the constitution, that states are empowered to collect VAT in their states.... I just don't know why state government allowed FIRS to be collecting VAT on their behalf.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Stops Kano Governor Abba Yusuf From Further Demolition Of Buildings / Tinubu In Owo To Condole Akeredolu’s Family (Video) / Meet The First Baby Born In Rivers This New Year, See What Was Done For Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.