Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission (2836 Views)

Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Mercedes Rented & Dismantled Tesla Model X Ahead Of Its Own Electric SUV Launch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 8:45am On Sep 08, 2021
Hello guys,

I was driving home few days ago, I pressed on the break to navigate a turn and my car refused going forward afterwards. It was just able to go into reverse. I managed to use reverse to drive home and parked.

I called a mechanic, he started saying it is fibre even without coming to check, telling me to go and look for 80k. I called another mechanic he came checked and dropped the transmission, took it to his shop and opened it. When I went there I didn't meet him but I saw my gear box opened and I quickly took some pictures and left.

He later called me, telling me I will need to buy fibre bla bla bla that I should look for 75k.

What I noticed was a broken metal that git stucked around the gear teeth as shown in the pictures. Personally I don't think anything is wrong with my fibre.

FYI: my gear never gave any sign, I maintain my car very well, the oil was not burnt, everything was working perfectly before the sudden stop.

I remembered 2 weeks ago I bumped into a big stone and the under of my car made a loud sound, I came down to check, everything was fine and I drove off. I have been driving the car everyday for the past 2 weeks, I'm thinking it could be the cause of the gear problem.

What is your take on this matter? Car gurus

1 Share

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by aieromon(m): 8:48am On Sep 08, 2021
Long post but no mention of the brand, model and year of vehicle?

1 Like

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Hangmnk: 8:58am On Sep 08, 2021
aieromon:

wanted to say this
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 4:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
aieromon:

sorry, my bad, the vehicle is Hyundai Elantra 2007
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by olumzzz(m): 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2021
LordVarys1:
sorry, my bad, the vehicle is Hyundai Elantra 2007
US or Korea version?
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 4:50am On Sep 09, 2021
olumzzz:

US or Korea version?
seriously I don't know. I bought it brand new here in Nigeria in 2008
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by olumzzz(m): 5:00am On Sep 09, 2021
LordVarys1:
seriously I don't know. I bought it brand new here in Nigeria in 2008
Most likely the korea version.
How much is a gear replacement?
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 12:12pm On Sep 09, 2021
olumzzz:

Most likely the korea version.
How much is a gear replacement?
I am told 150k
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by olumzzz(m): 2:27pm On Sep 09, 2021
LordVarys1:
I am told 150k
You can find out yourself
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by adebayo111: 8:56am On Sep 10, 2021
take the old gear to the gear dealer and add money to get a replacement. Don't repair that cos it won't be the same again

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by slimmoney(m): 1:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
then the gearbox seller will repair and still sell as belgium gearbox? if not, of what use is the bad gearbox to the seller?
adebayo111:
take the old gear to the gear dealer and add money to get a replacement. Don't repair that cos it won't be the same again

5 Likes

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
slimmoney:
then the gearbox seller will repair and still sell as belgium gearbox? if not, of what use is the bad gearbox to the seller?
Some of them sell in parts but many of them repair and resell. Lucky to anyone that falls victim. grin
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 5:40am On Oct 21, 2021
slimmoney:
exactly
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 5:41am On Oct 21, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Some of them sell in parts but many of them repair and resell. Lucky to anyone that falls victim. grin
that's wickedness. Though that is what they do these days. Corruption everywhere. They will now use marker and write on it to confuse buyer grin
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by aieromon(m): 6:04am On Oct 21, 2021
LordVarys1:
that's wickedness. Though that is what they do these days. Corruption everywhere. They will now use marker and write on it to confuse buyer grin

Have you replaced the transmission?
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2021
aieromon:

Have you replaced the transmission?
I didn't replace ooo. My mechanic repaired it and so far it's getting to 2months now and it is working perfectly.

I was really short of funds so I couldn't replace. I am still observing it though, but so far, it's been awesome

1 Like

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by aieromon(m): 6:20pm On Oct 21, 2021
LordVarys1:
I didn't replace ooo. My mechanic repaired it and so far it's getting to 2months now and it is working perfectly.

I was really short of funds so I couldn't replace. I am still observing it though, but so far, it's been awesome

Nice to hear that. I hope you refilled with the OEM trans fluid.

1 Like

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by LordVarys1: 6:11am On Oct 23, 2021
aieromon:

Nice to hear that. I hope you refilled with the OEM trans fluid.
Yes ooo

2 Likes

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Nansee(f): 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2021
Please can you share your mech contact? I may be needing his service. Thanks

LordVarys1:

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Euforia: 9:45am On Nov 30, 2021
LordVarys1:

Bros, Indeed the contact of this mechanic would be appreciated if the guy is in Lagos. I suffer a similar fate at the moment.
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Euforia: 9:46am On Nov 30, 2021
Nansee:
Please can you share your mech contact? I may be needing his service. Thanks

Have you been able to solve your gear challenge?

Pls share your experience and perhaps the contact of your 'messiah'.
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Nansee(f): 11:47am On Nov 30, 2021
Not yet oo. Still awaiting the "messiah's" contact from poster. Or do you have one I can use please?

Euforia:

Have you been able to solve your gear challenge?

Pls share your experience and perhaps the contact of your 'messiah'.
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by slimmoney(m): 10:50am On Dec 01, 2021
nothing as good as replacing a bad gearbox, i just replaced mine nd the movement is superb.

1 Like

Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Dozieson(m): 11:05am On Dec 01, 2021
slimmoney:
nothing as good as replacing a bad gearbox, i just replaced mine nd the movement is superb.

What car?
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by slimmoney(m): 11:22am On Dec 01, 2021
08 civic
Dozieson:

What car?
Re: Pictures From My Dismantled Transmission by Dozieson(m): 11:40am On Dec 01, 2021
slimmoney:
08 civic

Okay. Your gear is a bit affordable compared to others like Camry and Lexus

Honda is doing well in that aspect

(1) (Reply)

2003 NISSAN MURANO: Pros And Cons. / Effect Of Benzene Emitted From Car AC / Driving Pet Peeves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.