Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT (1960 Views)

FG Mulls Taking Rivers, Lagos To Supreme Court Over VAT Collection / Rivers Government Drags FG To Supreme Court Over VAT / Man Knocks Off Sex Worker’s Teeth For Not Spreading Legs Properly- Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 8:47am On Sep 09, 2021
A mild drama occurred early Thursday on Twitter following Seun Osewa's tweet that the FG should have the upper hand over state since VAT is in the concurrent list. The tech guru argued that Federal laws in Concurrent List supersede State laws.

However, his innocent opinion invoked the anger of some of his followers who described it as "bewildering". One even went as far as questioning his "Yorubaness"..

Read tweets below:

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by 4Play(m): 8:55am On Sep 09, 2021
A lot of Nigerians seem to reason that your ethnic group should determine how you see things.

You see this with IPOB supporters who insist that all Igbos should be pro-IPOB, must support their poverty-maximising weekly sit at home strikes, and must speak only good of Nnamdi Kanu.

The idea that each person has their own mind is alien to a lot of people who demand a sheepish unity of opinions.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Bluntguy: 9:01am On Sep 09, 2021
4Play:
A lot of Nigerians seem to reason that your ethnic group should determine how you see things.

You see this with IPOB supporters who insist that all Igbos should be pro-IPOB, must support their poverty-maximising weekly sit at home strikes, and must speak only good of Nnamdi Kanu.

The idea that each person has their own mind is alien to a lot of people who demand a sheepish unity of opinions.
You seem to forget that majority will always have their way no matter what the minority opinion is. Anyways, make I no just talk my mind before dem ban me.

1 Like

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 9:03am On Sep 09, 2021
4Play:

You're right. I see nothing wrong in what Seun said. He even made it clear that he's in support of states collecting VAT. Bigotry is just the issue.

4 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:04am On Sep 09, 2021
SATANICALLY666:
A mild drama occurred early Thursday on Twitter following Seun Osewa's tweet that the FG should have the upper hand over state since VAT is in the concurrent list. The tech guru argued that Federal laws in Concurrent List supersede State laws.

However, his innocent opinion invoked the anger of some of his followers who described it as "bewildering". One even went as far as questioning his "Yorubaness"..

Read tweets below:

What are you looking for on twitter?

You're not a patriot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 9:05am On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

What are you looking for on twitter?

You're not a patriot!

I am not in Nigeria. FG didn't ban Nigerians from using Twitter. It banned Twitter's operations in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Smithkafors(m): 9:08am On Sep 09, 2021
4Play:

Is this topic about IPOB and Igbos?. Why do you guys leave the discussion and involve everyone?.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:09am On Sep 09, 2021
SATANICALLY666:

You're right. I see nothing wrong in what Seun said. He even made it clear that he's in support of states collecting VAT. Bigotry is just the issue.

I really don't know why people paint anything that seems to favour the regions through the lens of bigotry.

The guy who asked if Seun is Yoruba was obviously referring to the fact that the SW contributes the highest to VAT but does not get the highest returns from it. It's about fairness not bigotry.
Except you mean the Niger Deltans are bigots for demanding for derivation from oil and gas proceeds. It's a natural law that a group of people should benefit from whatever resources nature has bestowed them with.
So if Yorubas are demanding for a higher and fairer share of the VAT, it should be welcomed by all and supported.
After all, in a federation as we claim to be, the federating bodies should be able to control their resources and utilize it as they see fit.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by obiekunie01: 9:12am On Sep 09, 2021
how comes seun is on twitter?

is he not based in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2021
SATANICALLY666:

I am not in Nigeria. FG didn't ban Nigerians from using Twitter. It banned Twitter's operations in Nigeria.

Malami said anyone who used twitter will be arrested and prosecuted. Is Malami not part of FG?

You not being in Nigeria should not exempt you from identifying with actions taken by our government in protection of our national interest.

Twittter was not banned for economic reasons but for national security. You should join in boycotting as a good Nigerian who wants Nigeria to survive and migrate to the Indian bird that shall not be named

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 9:16am On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

I really don't know why people paint anything that seems to favour the regions through the lens of bigotry.

The guy who asked if Seun is Yoruba was obviously referring to the fact that the SW contributes the highest to VAT but does not get the highest returns from it. It's about fairness not bigotry.
Except you mean the Niger Deltans are bigots for demanding for derivation from oil and gas proceeds. It's a natural law that a group of people should benefit from whatever resources nature has bestowed them with.
So if Yorubas are demanding for a higher and fairer share of the VAT, it should be welcomed by all and supported.
After all, in a federation as we claim to be, the federating bodies should be able to control their resources and utilize it as they see fit.

Read Seun's tweet again. HE MADE IT EXPLICITLY CLEAR THAT HE'S IN SUPPORT OF STATES COLLECTING VAT.. However, he's demanding to know the legal side since constitutionally, FG laws supersede State laws in the Concurrent List. He's NOT advocating the FG should collect it.

He further said it's "my view as a lay person" and I am open to correction.

So why question his "Yorubaness" instead of simply correcting his "lay opinion"? Why involve tribe? Why attack the person who said he's open to correction and ignore the subject matter?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SlayerForever: 9:20am On Sep 09, 2021
A zombie has no tribe.

1 Like

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by JohnSin97: 9:21am On Sep 09, 2021
It's not about the tweet but generally seun himself, being Yoruba isn't necessarily biological only..... it's a mindset that one has, patriotism to one's tribe. But for a man who claims to be an atheist, you really can't expect him to have tribal loyalty or any loyalty of sort...A godless man he is, his one true religion is his blind logic and the money he makes from this rettarded site. Add to that coming from a state that produced chronic Yoruba sell-outs like obasanjo, MKO and Ernest Shonekan....you really have to give it to ogun state. grin

And people like seun believe in one Nigeria and less in their tribal identity....they live in a distorted reality were they feel and believe that everyone including the fulani extremist shares the same thought as them. Doesn't end well.

3 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 9:21am On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

Malami said anyone who used twitter will be arrested and prosecuted. Is Malami not part of FG?

You not being in Nigeria should not exempt you from identifying with actions taken by our government in protection of our national interest.

Twittter was not banned for economic reasons but for national security. You should join in boycotting as a good Nigerian who wants Nigeria to survive and migrate to the Indian bird that shall not be named

I am following what he told the court, not what the media reported he said.. If I am found wanting in violating the law, I will proudly submit myself for prosecution.

See screenshots. That's an affidavit. Far superior to what the media said he said..

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by melodyogonna(m): 9:29am On Sep 09, 2021
A stupid question that has no correlation with the topic being discussed

3 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:29am On Sep 09, 2021
SATANICALLY666:

Read Seun's tweet again. HE MADE IT EXPLICITLY CLEAR THAT HE'S IN SUPPORT OF STATES COLLECTING VAT.. However, he's demanding to know the legal side since constitutionally, FG laws supersede State laws in the Concurrent List. He's NOT advocating the FG should collect it.

He further said it's "my view as a lay person" and I am open to correction.

So why question his "Yorubaness" instead of simply correcting his "lay opinion"? Why involve tribe? Why attack the person who said he's open to correction and ignore the subject matter?

First of all, it's not true that Federal law "supersedes" state laws on the concurrent list. Each has their area of jurisdiction and hold for the area they control.
The issue is that the VAT judgment has become a regional issue. Northern state governors have been crying since the judgment while the South has been rejoicing. So it is not the individual who questioned his Yorubaness that made it a tribal issue but the governors who turned it to a North vs South matter as usual.
So you can't blame an ordinary man if he also looks at the issue from an angle of us vs them if the leaders can also look at it that way.
May I ask. How come anything the South champions or demands is always opposed by the north? Endsars was mainly opposed by the north for example. Meanwhile same north asked for sharia and got it with a sitting southern president.

3 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by babyfaceafrica: 9:32am On Sep 09, 2021
That's their problem
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:34am On Sep 09, 2021
SATANICALLY666:

I am following what he told the court, not what the media reported he said.. If I am found wanting in violating the law, I will proudly submit myself for prosecution.

See screenshots. That's an affidavit. Far superior to what the media said he said..

Check your screenshot. You will see that he released a statement not the media reporting.
The affidavit was in response to a human rights case instituted in response to his initial statement.
Besides, I never knew a govt official who releases an official statement in his official capacity is just blowing empty air. Only an affidavit can give bite to his statement you mean?
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SATANICALLY666: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

First of all, it's not true that Federal law "supersedes" state laws on the concurrent list. Each has their area of jurisdiction and hold for the area they control.
The issue is that the VAT judgment has become a regional issue. Northern state governors have been crying since the judgment while the South has been rejoicing. So it is not the individual who questioned his Yorubaness that made it a tribal issue but the governors who turned it to a North vs South matter as usual.
So you can't blame an ordinary man if he also looks at the issue from an angle of us vs them if the leaders can also look at it that way.
May I ask. How come anything the South champions or demands is always opposed by the north? Endsars was mainly opposed by the north for example. Meanwhile same north asked for sharia and got it with a sitting southern president.

LOL, at the underscored. I think I am done with this discussion. I have important things to do. I will leave you this screenshot. The rest you can figure out via research.

Have a nice day!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by ChemicalReaction(f): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

For sake of clarity, the functions in the concurrent legislative list are to be exercised by both the federal and state governments. In case of conflicts that may be experienced in the course of exercising their functions, the powers of the federal government will supersede that of the state government.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by SarkinYarki: 10:02am On Sep 09, 2021
Nigerian must turn everything thing into tribalism as against common sense
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Abohboy: 10:13am On Sep 09, 2021
Smithkafors:

Is this topic about IPOB and Igbos?. Why do you guys leave the discussion and involve everyone?.

He made a point and he gave the most obvious and most widespread example that being IPOB nothing wrong with what he did

2 Likes

Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by AntiBMC(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2021
So what are we to do about this? Is this news? Abeg make una shift...make we see front.
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by ivolt: 12:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
We have may dumb tribalists in this country.
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:02pm On Sep 09, 2021
Seun Osewa is just like Buhari!

He hardly comment on Nairaland but comfy on Twitter grin
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by ivolt: 12:03pm On Sep 09, 2021
Bluntguy:

You seem to forget that majority will always have their way no matter what the minority opinion is. Anyways, make I no just talk my mind before dem ban me.
Ignoring the obvious fallacy here.
Why are your so-called majority afraid of minority opinions that they even
go as far as issuing death threats to enforce the alleged majority viewpoint?
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by vedaxcool(m): 5:49am On Sep 10, 2021
Sadly many people this days only arguement is appealing to tribalism and jingoism. What does being a Yoruba man have to do with whether the Law gives FG or States the power to collect VAT?

Increasingly Southern bigots only logic in every discussion revolves around tribe, religion and hate.

Eventually the legality of the actions being discussed will be resolved at the courts.
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by ablejesus26(m): 5:12am On Sep 11, 2021
ivolt:

Ignoring the obvious fallacy here.
Why are your so-called majority afraid of minority opinions that they even
go as far as issuing death threats to enforce the alleged majority viewpoint?

Majority,yet the minority carries the day and hand over power to a Democratically elected govt that stands against the fraud of the so called majority☹️
You go fear logic �
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 11, 2021
FG collect VAT for states ..

Now who owns the VAT??

States are saying; don't worry, we can do it ourselves ..

The main reason for disagreement is to continue the fraud distribution and looting
Re: 'Are You Truly A Yoruba Man?' - Man Knocks Seun Osewa Over VAT by slimghost(m): 8:15am On Sep 11, 2021
He is missing normal Tax with VAT. VAT is a consumption type of tax .

(1) (Reply)

Anger As Aregbesola Mocks Tinubu About Urine / No PVC, NO Sex / Labour Party Presidential Campaign About To Kick Off In Lafia, Nasarawa State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.