Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill (19160 Views)

Kano State Vat More Than The Whole South East State Combined-photo / VAT: Today, I Signed Into Law The State VAT Bill - Gov Sanwo Olú Of Lagos (Pics) / Sanwo-Olu Signs VAT Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by mkoabiola: 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2021
ojesymsym:
All those hailing this very good initiative because they want to spite the North will be the first to cry in due time when the real implementation starts.

A quick glance shows that when clearing agents clear goods, VAT will be charged by Lagos. What sounds interesting is that after clearing those goods, VAT may also eventually be charged at the destination location of the goods.

Interesting times ahead really. I think this is a watershed moment in our nation's history, and Wike will be remembered for leading the revolution.
Honestly, it will greatly affect lagisians when implemented.
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Lastmankc(m): 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2021
Tinubu don hammer.If you know, you know
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Kccheechy(m): 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2021
drehenry:
Very good.

It will force states to develop their port to receive ships. Am sure states in the east will be happy to do that in order to divert most of d Igbo biz guys goods to Igbo land though may take time.

Divert which igbo biz guys?? With their forceful IPOB sit at home every Monday?? Who will want to start business in such a hostile and business unfriendly environment??

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by nazimakash6: 4:14pm On Sep 09, 2021
Web 2.0 sites will pass strong juice from layers below them straight to your main site.
Extremely safe technique because you are not getting a large number of links directly to
your site but quality contextual backlinks from high DA Web 2.0 properties with content
related to your niche.
[url="https://www.seoclerks.us"]seo services[/url]
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Gfskw: 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2021
Really
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by MrUchenna1(m): 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2021
the hard way the only way to reinstall sense at the center: Restructure
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Perfectbeing(m): 5:07pm On Sep 09, 2021
Enough with all these Southern tax is being used to feed the North. The actual story is Lagos tax is being used to feed the North and South. Only Lagos states generates over 70% of all the taxes in Nigeria while the other 35 states generates the remaining less than 30%.

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by blaise26abj(m): 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
winterfell007:
I understand completely the injustice being suffered by both Lagos River state on this issue of VAT, but it's about time we look into the issue dispassionately without sentiments.
Let's face it, we know the north has no capacity to generate VAT whatsoever so too are so several states in the south. Except for some few exceptional state like Ogun, Oyo, Anambra, Delta and probably Enugu(Enugu still in doubt) other southern state lack the capacity to collect VAT due to near zero commercial activity happening within the localities.
It's true VAT lies with concurrent list. Any FIRS lacks the legality to compel companies to pay VAT to them. But let's give it a human face. The reason VAT is being taken and shared among the 36 states of the federation is to help those state with less commercial activity to improve on their infrastructure and keep agencies of government functional, Yes the sharing formula for the VAT was highly lopsided no thanks to stupid mentality of some people up north that believes they're more equal than others.
Wike is right to challenge the injustice but he should tread with caution. He must have an open mind and be willing to renegotiate the sharing formula in such a way that it brings some sense of balance and fairness. This I'm sure of every southern states will be willing to support. It's just my advice. It's open to further suggestions
If those states can’t function , they should merge with other states and become an economic hub . It is wrong that I pay taxes in my state while some people with 100 kids and doesn’t pay taxes benefit from it . It is the reason so many northern states and some se and sw states are economic black holes . It isn’t sustainable and will pull back other viable regions .
Must we continue to spoon feed unproductive people that have abused the quota system , already benefiting from oil revenue alongside the PIB yet refuse to develop ? Let them go and sort themselves out . Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2021
winterfell007:
I understand completely the injustice being suffered by both Lagos River state on this issue of VAT, but it's about time we look into the issue dispassionately without sentiments.
Let's face it, we know the north has no capacity to generate VAT whatsoever so too are so several states in the south. Except for some few exceptional state like Ogun, Oyo, Anambra, Delta and probably Enugu(Enugu still in doubt) other southern state lack the capacity to collect VAT due to near zero commercial activity happening within the localities.
It's true VAT lies with concurrent list. Any FIRS lacks the legality to compel companies to pay VAT to them. But let's give it a human face. The reason VAT is being taken and shared among the 36 states of the federation is to help those state with less commercial activity to improve on their infrastructure and keep agencies of government functional, Yes the sharing formula for the VAT was highly lopsided no thanks to stupid mentality of some people up north that believes they're more equal than others.
Wike is right to challenge the injustice but he should tread with caution. He must have an open mind and be willing to renegotiate the sharing formula in such a way that it brings some sense of balance and fairness. This I'm sure of every southern states will be willing to support. It's just my advice. It's open to further suggestions

The governor knows better than you do.
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by idahme(m): 6:48pm On Sep 09, 2021
just2endowed:
lagos state VAT: 6%

FG VAT: 7.5%

na waoh..........u pay less VAT with Lagos state.

it's an incentive to attract more businesses into Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Christistruth00: 7:09pm On Sep 09, 2021
szczescie:
Rivers STATE don give Lagos state morale

For that alone Lagos state suppose to remit 10% of that VAT to Rivers state as Thank you.

Lagos took their VAT case to the Supreme Court in 2014 and lost because the Supreme Court said it had no Jurisdiction over the Case with FIRS an agency of Government

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Christistruth00: 7:13pm On Sep 09, 2021
Kccheechy:

Divert which igbo biz guys?? With their forceful IPOB sit at home every Monday?? Who will want to start business in such a hostile and business unfriendly environment??

IPOB murdered 6 People on Monday an Igbo Business man and his 5 Apprentices going about their Business the last Apprentice managed to escape .
IPOB hacked them to pieces for not sitting at home
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by oluwaseyi0: 7:42pm On Sep 09, 2021
winterfell007:

The tax has been shared from the center all this years and where has thaat gotten us?

Sharing tax makes lots of governor to be extremely lazy especially the northerners

First human face to this is northerners must lift the ban on alcohol and destruction of alcohol must be criminalize then we can talk about sharing formula of tax from alcohol otherwise the state that want to die should die
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by mank1234(m): 8:09pm On Sep 09, 2021
just2endowed:
but wait, i brought in goods from port, paid tax to lagos. moved the goods to PHC and sold it in phc, and still pay VAT again....

on a look of things, wont this war bring in a very high in price of goods?

You are not paying tax on cost of goods but on value added.
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by GerogeI(m): 8:14pm On Sep 09, 2021
kmcutez:

Why wait for Akwa Ibom? What of Port Harcourt and Warri ports? Are they not functioning?

Am not sure about Warri, but PH had limited draft. Not all vessels can birth But the best is combining STS Lightering with Onitsha River Port.

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by thatsleepboy1: 8:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
winterfell007:

That's true and expect the prices of goods and services to skyrocket soon cos every state will equally collect task thereby making it difficult for business to grow.

In Transporting goods from lagos to Onitsha, all the states they'll pass through will equally like to collect VAT (aggressively as it is the Nigerian way) too. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by just2endowed: 8:49pm On Sep 09, 2021
mank1234:

You are not paying tax on cost of goods but on value added.

Explained
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by mank1234(m): 9:35pm On Sep 09, 2021
just2endowed:

Explained

If you make transfer from your account, VAT is not on the amount you transfer but on the bank charges. The charges the bank charge you is the value added.

If you buy raw material to produce a product, the difference between the raw material with cost of converting to finished goods and selling price is the value added.
Value added = selling price - (cost of raw material + manufacturing cost). VAT is required percentage of this value
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by just2endowed: 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2021
mank1234:

If you make transfer from your account, VAT is not on the amount you transfer but on the bank charges. The charges the bank charge you is the value added.

If you buy raw material to produce a product, the difference between the raw material with cost of converting to finished goods and selling price is the value added.
Value added = selling price - (cost of raw material + manufacturing cost). VAT is required percentage of this value

Nice
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by Carlyscales: 10:28pm On Sep 09, 2021
winterfell007:

Stop supporting poverty and laziness. Let every state begin to think outside the box.

If states generate vat from businesses in their domain. They will start thinking of how to make business friendly policies so that they can make money. As an owner of an sme I can tell you that some of the states without any businesses especially in d North, are the most difficult places to do businesses and sell products in Nigeria. Simply, because states can't connect their welfare to good thriving business. Let their be more SMEs so that unemployment can reduce.

This is the only way to move forward economically, stop thinking backwards. Nnpc didn't remit money to FAC, heaven didn't fall.
Stop doing the same thing and expecting a diff result.
Re: Highlights Of The Lagos State VAT Bill by nazimakash6: 9:34am On Sep 11, 2021
Web 2.0 sites will pass strong juice from layers below them straight to your main site.
Extremely safe technique because you are not getting a large number of links directly to
your site but quality contextual backlinks from high DA Web 2.0 properties with content
related to your niche.
https://www.seoclerks.us

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari: Nigerians Just Make Noise To Get Better Deal / 2023: NDLEA Writes APC Seeks Drugs Integrity Test Before Primaries / Ezeife: IPOB Not Behind Attacks In Southeast. Igbo Don’t Shed Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.