Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,917 members, 7,952,679 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:03 PM

Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts (17299 Views)

Abdulsalami Abubakar-Led ECOWAS Delegation Arrives Niger To Meet Coup Leaders / Faces Of Mali Coup Leaders Unveiled (Photos) / President Donald Trump Freezes All Venezuelan Govt Assets In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by BigBashiru: 10:25am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

I believe Guinea opted out of the CFA franc currency union on independence(Sekou Toure was a very very independent minded chap, who chose independence over 'self governance within France)...so they are in full control of their currency, unlike the CFA franc countries who have part of their reserves in France!
ecowas wanted to adopt eco currency last year France blocked it.... France doesn't want to let former colonies go, they believe African countries belong to them sad
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 10, 2021
BigBashiru:
ecowas wanted to adopt eco currency last year France blocked it.... France doesn't want to let former colonies go, they believe African countries belong to them sad

While I like the ECO currency, and am aware of French machinations ...it won't have made anything better even then

What ECOWAS countries need to do is to stop selling their raw materials and using the revenue to import goods higher in value than the export materials, and start going towards being manufacturing nations.

But because it involves hard choices like removing subsides for example...

The Euro thrives because most eurozone nations are manuacturers, and exporters of manufactured goods.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by gimakon2(m): 10:33am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

That's because, like most African countries, Guinea is reliant on income from selling its raw materials.

They do not control the price of their raw material (for Guinea it is bauxite)...so the value of their currency drops when the income from the raw material drops

Then Guinea is also import dependent...WHICH drains it of more forex.

The day Guinea, and most other African countries begin to use their raw materials to make products the world wants to buy is the day their currency value goes up.

Conde made it so. He at that time was the president of Guinea remember?
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by BigBashiru: 10:36am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

While I like the ECO currency, and am aware of French machinations ...it won't have made anything better even then

What ECOWAS countries need to do is to stop selling their raw materials and using the revenue to import goods higher in value than the export materials, and start going towards being manufacturing nations.

But because it involves hard choices like removing subsides for example...

The Euro thrives because most eurozone nations are manuacturers, and exporters of manufactured goods.

they sell raw materials under duress from France and EU. refuse to sell raw materials to Europe and that African president risks assasssination.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 10, 2021
gimakon2:

1.No, he did not make it so. That's how most African countries have operated from independence. It was the structure left behind by the colonialists.(Which nearly collapsed in the 1970's...Nigeria survived by using high oil prices to ride out the storm) So, CONDE inherited the old structure.

2.Where he failed was , like most African leaders, doing nothing about it. If he was serious, he would have developed an industrial develoipment plan or found ways to at least attract investment in that direction. Also, improved funding for techincal and vocational educaiton.

So, while it wasn't Conde's fault...he did nothing to change the situation.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 10, 2021
BigBashiru:

they sell raw materials under duress from France and EU. refuse to sell raw materials to Europe and that African president risks assasssination.

It is not a matter of 'selling under duress'....even if France did not buy their raw materials...they would sell it to China.

Also, who has the forex to buy our goods? European countries...and increasingly China.

The problem is, a system where you rely on exporting raw materials, is at the end of the day, a nice way to wreck your domestic industry by over importing everything with the revenue.

(And Europeans don't mind us becoming manufacturers if Guinea manufactured TV and computers for the French market...it brings down the cost of those things...meaning consumer items become cheaper...which is one less worry for french pols.)
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by BigBashiru: 10:42am On Sep 10, 2021
gimakon2:

any African president that refuses to sell raw materials to European monsters and devil incarnates risks assssassination. Europe is evil.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by BigBashiru: 10:43am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

It is not a matter of 'selling under duress'....even if France did not buy their raw materials...they would sell it to China.

Also, who has the forex to buy our goods? European countries...and increasingly China.

The problem is, a system where you rely on exporting raw materials, is at the end of the day, a nice way to wreck your domestic industry by over importing everything with the revenue.

(And Europeans don't mind us becoming manufacturers if Guinea manufactured TV and computers for the French market...it brings down the cost of those things...meaning consumer items become cheaper...which is one less worry for french pols.)

u don't understand. France installs fake presidents who will sell raw materials to France and to France only per colonial contract...

France needs to be kicked out of Africa
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by profmallor: 10:45am On Sep 10, 2021
Many Nigerian would jubilate only if ...
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 10, 2021
BigBashiru:

u don't understand. France installs fake presidents who will sell raw materials to France and to France only per colonial contract...

France needs to be kicked out of Africa

Not in Guinea.

Sekou Toure was very anti-French, for example...and he still sold to France, just as Chavez of Venezuela was still selling oil to the US, and the Marxist governments of Angola were selling oil to the USA...who was codedly supporting UNTIA rebels in the 1980's against them...lol.

Trade must be done. No how, no how.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Emola12(m): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2021
callmetoniaa:
Op i dint even read ur post, was just rushing to be the first to comment, see as i dey rush to first comment self as if say them dey win triumph for am.. anyway good morning my fellow nairalanders... May y'all have a good day.

With love from Toniaa .!!!
Becos u no geh work dat is why u dey rush to comment nah (AKUKO KO OLE SE KINI??) only yoruba will understand
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by gimakon2(m): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

1.No, he did not make it so. That's how most African countries have operated from independence. It was the structure left behind by the colonialists.(Which nearly collapsed in the 1970's...Nigeria survived by using high oil prices to ride out the storm) So, CONDE inherited the old structure.

2.Where he failed was , like most African leaders, doing nothing about it. If he was serious, he would have developed an industrial develoipment plan or found ways to at least attract investment in that direction. Also, improved funding for techincal and vocational educaiton.

So, while it wasn't Conde's fault...he did nothing to change the situation.

Makes sense. Thanks for the Enlightenment.
But at least he would have done something about it.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by bizhop01: 11:17am On Sep 10, 2021
In Nigeria the don't keep upto 1% in local bank
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Sholaco: 11:19am On Sep 10, 2021
callmetoniaa:
Op i dint even read ur post, was just rushing to be the first to comment, see as i dey rush to first comment self as if say them dey win triumph for am.. anyway good morning my fellow nairalanders... May y'all have a good day.

With love from Toniaa .!!!
Congratulations to you
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Sholaco: 11:19am On Sep 10, 2021
Emola12:
Becos u no geh work dat is why u dey rush to comment nah (AKUKO KO OLE SE KINI??) only yoruba will understand
ile ti ya mo cheesy
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Marpol2021(m): 11:27am On Sep 10, 2021
Nice one from Guinea. The time and hours has come for military to take over from the civilian..
spade225:
https://nilepost.co.ug/2021/09/10/guinea-coup-leaders-freeze-all-government-accounts/
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by babtoundey(m): 11:32am On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

Thank you

No, I did not. I fully understand you. I have been around for long enough to see how things go.

1.Because people love to project their hopes, wishes, and aspirations onto any new change.

2.And because Africa is a multiethic society...the people rejoicing come from ethnicities that have lost out in the elections...meaning they lose control of the sharing of the money. A coup is a chance to right that.(unwise thinking...but that is how many of us think)

And going from the frying pan into the fire is the way forward.

I don't like Buhari...but take this doctor's strike. Buhari civilian when facing a NARD strike institutied no work no pay. Buhari millitary in 1984, when the same NARD went on strike...SACKED all of them. And many of them...it was a while before they got their jobs back..

The millitary has not justificaiton for seizing power period. That is treason...and yes, it was treason in 1966, and 1983.

We have bad civilian governments because

1.Most of you think that democracy is just to vote and go home.

2.Most of you blast APC and PDP...and when it is time to vote...it is for the same two parties. When some of us ask you to recosider, you will start crying that both parties are too strong.

Either way, having lived under Army rule...I think I prefer the worst civillian rule...rather than rule by decree.

How you come by the conclusion that "some of you" consistently vote in PDP and APC when "some of us" are against it is marveling. That is harsh generalisation. Besides, what is there to believe that the "some of us" that trust our hope on those alternative parties and political personal are doing so to safeguard national interest. How do we agree that the "some of us" that believe so much in alternative political parties are not ignorantly and naively paving ways for another crop of failed and selfish leaders?

No justification for military rule but there is justification for civilian misruling, conscious disregard for rule of law and all these unwaranted madness. I would rather be ruled by a sane despot than by an insane democrat. What separates our demcarzy from dictatorial rule is just a tiny line.

Military taking over is not the way forward, but moving round a vicious circle in the guise of practising a fake and mismanaged democracy isn't either.

It is the rule of nature, everybody, no matter how tough, deserves some break from endless frustration. The jubilation that follows every military take-over is always to spite corrupt and mindless civilian leaders who see themselves as untouchable. The take-over may not be the triumph of the people it is certainly the tragedy of the military in civilian cloak.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Bambarino: 11:54am On Sep 10, 2021
Betece:
The coup plotting was a miasma leading and aiding the jerry can and generator and without proper thinking and braiding, things will catapult into the abyss with the fish and chocolate rejoicing needlessly

The coup was also a totalitarianism conjured into a pot to give an abysmal repatriation solely perpetrated by the soldiers to restore bread and beans to the inured people of Guinea grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 10, 2021
babtoundey:

How you come by the conclusion that "some of you" consistently vote in PDP and APC when "some of us" are against it is marveling. That is harsh generalisation. Besides, what is there to believe that the "some of us" that trust our hope on those alternative parties and political personal are doing so to safeguard national interest. How do we agree that the "some of us" that believe so much in alternative political parties are not ignorantly and naively paving ways for another crop of failed and selfish leaders?

Millitary rule will not bring about selfless leaders. We thought it would in 1965, and 1982/3. It not only did not, it brought us corrupt leaders, with additional reporession

Plus, I am generalisng because in all my years watching demcoratic practice in Nigeria, Nigerians will complain about PDP and APC and vote for PDP and APC.

I myself have voted for smaller parties in this democratic era. And every time I tell people I voted for smaller parties, they laugh

Maybe you are not among...but I have found Nigerians don't realize democracy is not by voting alone.

No justification for military rule but there is justification for civilian misruling, conscious disregard for rule of law and all these unwaranted madness. I would rather be ruled by a sane despot than by an insane democrat. What separates our demcarzy from dictatorial rule is just a tiny line

At least you get to vote them out every 4 years, or to at least challenge them to some extent. Millitary rule? If they are corrupt and you challenge them, you end up in jail...and they pass a decree to justify jailing you for decades.

Plus, all this secessionist agenda. Yes, MNK does not deserve what is happening to him, but under army rule? He would have been dragged before a tribunal and shot dead a. la. Saro Wiwa..

Military taking over is not the way forward, but moving round a vicious circle in the guise of practicing a fake and mismanaged democracy isn't either.

So, leave this site, stop complaining to me, and go and take part in the democratic process. The nice democracies you admire...were and in many ways are still corrupt. They are better because people did more than vote.

It is the rule of nature, everybody, no matter how tough, deserves some break from endless frustration. The jubilation that follows every military take-over is always to spite corrupt and mindless civilian leaders who see themselves as untouchable. The take-over may not be the triumph of the people it is certainly the tragedy of the military in civilian cloak.
[/quote]

And when you people start crying about repression in one year's time?

Abeg....you will cry for corrupt democracy when you have spent some time under Army rule.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Emola12(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2021
Sholaco:
ile ti ya mo cheesy
kai dis one no be original yoruba person oo u are from kastinah state tueh.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by babtoundey(m): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

Millitary rule will not bring about selfless leaders. We thought it would in 1965, and 1982/3. It not only did not, it brought us corrupt leaders, with additional reporession

Plus, I am generalisng because in all my years watching demcoratic practice in Nigeria, Nigerians will complain about PDP and APC and vote for PDP and APC.

I myself have voted for smaller parties in this democratic era. And every time I tell people I voted for smaller parties, they laugh

Maybe you are not among...but I have found Nigerians don't realize democracy is not by voting alone.

At least you get to vote them out every 4 years, or to at least challenge them to some extent. Millitary rule? If they are corrupt and you challenge them, you end up in jail...and they pass a decree to justify jailing you for decades.

Plus, all this secessionist agenda. Yes, MNK does not deserve what is happening to him, but under army rule? He would have been dragged before a tribunal and shot dead a. la. Saro Wiwa..

So, leave this site, stop complaining to me, and go and take part in the democratic process. The nice democracies you admire...were and in many ways are still corrupt. They are better because people did more than vote.

And when you people start crying about repression in one year's time?

Abeg....you will cry for corrupt democracy when you have spent some time under Army rule.

Of all the things you have mentioned as the weaknesses of the military rule, which one are we not witnessing under this democratic dispensation? Corruption, injustice, violation of human right and dignity, wanton disregard for rule of law, oppression and victimisation of political opponents and even the commoners, limitation to press freedom, insecurity, hunger, misrepresentation of citizens and national interest, unemployment, inneptitude and the selfishness of the rule. Which of these is not a manifestation of our "democratic and civilian rule". The civilian (as we have it here) is twice as ugly as the civilian.

So if people choose to celebrate the fall of undemocratic democracy, let them be. Doing so doesn't mean everything is rosy, it only means that the people have the rare opportunity to see those that push them towards the life of misery can suffer the same and even worse fate.

The tone "leave this site and stop complaining to me" sounds ludicrous. Seriously, it does. What gives you the impression my "complaint" or whatsoever is directed at you? Are you Buhari's Chief adviser or a brother to Seyi Makinde? Probably, I will choose to leave the site and "take part in democratic process" when you that had witnessed many failed and disastrous ruling of the military and civilian rule do more than being complacent and licking wounds and all other indices of failure of past and present leaders.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by goody234: 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
naijapips04:
nice. We need a coup in Nigeria. The country is so messed up. We need some kind of reset.

Nigerians just talk with no sense, the past coups that have happened in Nigerian ...how did it change Nigeria for the better ?...just answer me that one question?... stupid talk what you need is a better calibre of leaders !! ...Coups are so redundant these days it will be old wine new bottle .... Nigerians think before you talk ...Thats why mediocrity is our friend no critical thinking going on

2 Likes

Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
babtoundey:

Of all the things you have mentioned as the weaknesses of the military rule, which one are we not witnessing under this democratic dispensation? Corruption, injustice, violation of human right and dignity, wanton disregard for rule of law, oppression and victimisation of political opponents and even the commoners, limitation to press freedom, insecurity, hunger, misrepresentation of citizens and national interest, unemployment, inneptitude and the selfishness of the rule. Which of these is not a manifestation of our "democratic and civilian rule". The civilian (as we have it here) is twice as ugly as the civilian.

So if people choose to celebrate the fall of undemocratic democracy, let them be. Doing so doesn't mean everything is rosy, it only means that the people have the rare opportunity to see those that push them towards the life of misery can suffer the same and even worse fate.

The tone "leave this site and stop complaining to me" sounds ludicrous. Seriously, it does. What gives you the impression my "complaint" or whatsoever is directed at you? Are you Buhari's Chief adviser or a brother to Seyi Makinde? Probably, I will choose to leave the site and "take part in democratic process" when you that had witnessed many failed and disastrous ruling of the military and civilian rule do more than being complacent and licking wounds and all other indices of failure of past and present leaders.

Okay, enjoy your military rule then.

Don't come crying when the heat gets hot. grin
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by babtoundey(m): 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

Okay, enjoy your military rule then.

Don't come crying when the heat gets hot. grin

Thank you

You can as well enjoy your undemocratic democratic rules.

Don't come crying when this heat gets hotter
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by NamelessOGBENI(m): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
gimakon2:

As useless as the one ruling us.

$1 = 10,000 Guinea franc, thats how he ruined the country, Lets start there.
Guinea Bissau and Guinea Conakry are two useless countries in West africa. Thats why he got angry and decided to bring a change ... So they are happy with it as well.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
babtoundey:

Thank you

You can as well enjoy your undemocratic democratic rules.

Don't come crying when this heat gets hotter

When the hear gets hot under democracy, work within the system to change it from within

You won't have that freedom under army rule.

I have tried. Better stay away from bypath meadow
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by babtoundey(m): 3:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
Modrov:

When the hear gets hot under democracy, work within the system to change it from within

You won't have that freedom under army rule.

I have tried. Better stay away from bypath meadow

No wonder it has been practically impossible to "work within the system to change it from within" since 1999.

I heard you.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Ishilove: 3:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
Betece:
The coup plotting was a miasma leading and aiding the jerry can and generator and without proper thinking and braiding, things will catapult into the abyss with the fish and chocolate rejoicing needlessly
I can't believe i read this crap to the end.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by naptu2: 3:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Ishilove:

I can't believe i read this crap to the end.

I wish I can remember the username of the guy that constructed sentences like this back in the day. He was quite skilful and you'd be forced to read his weird sentences, even if you had encountered him before.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Ishilove: 3:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
naptu2:

I wish I can remember the username of the guy that constructed sentences like this back in the day. He was quite skillful and you'd be forced to read his weird sentences, even if you had encountered him before.
As in...I was unconsciously hoping to see if he would eventually make some sense.

1 Like

Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 10, 2021
babtoundey:

No wonder it has been practically impossible to "work within the system to change it from within" since 1999.

I heard you.

K.
Re: Guinea Coup Leaders Freezes All Government Accounts by ivolt: 5:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
Romanoff:

You needed to see the celebration on the streets.
I did and it mirrors the atmosphere of some of Nigeria's coup in certain part of the country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Images Of The Devastation By Hurricane Sandy In The U.S. / New York: State Of Emergency Declared As Life-Threatening Storm Causes Flooding / Youtube Office Shooting: Female Suspect Dead, Three Others Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.