Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,608 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage (1407 Views)

Fellow Igbos, Let's Stop With The Gaslighting Technique.it Doesn't Work Anymore / It's Dangerous Attacking Igbos, Let's Know If You're Tired Of One Nigeria / How Can We Revive Our Dead Steel Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
Igbos have a long history instruments that they used to work with ranging from flutes, harps, drums, zithers, lutes, horns etc, etc, however the last several decades has greatly diminished the Igbo musical sphere to the point that many believe that Igbo instruments are just limited to drums and the occasional flute.

Some Igbos are taking the time to modernise and present these instruments in a palatable way for younger audiences, but unfortunately, many don't even know that they exist.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:30pm On Sep 10, 2021
First of all, let's talk about drums:

1) Igbo skin drums (igba, abia, etc, etc,)

They are your streotypical, 'traditional-looking- drums with skin tops. In igboland, they have differing names based on their size and perhaps purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
skin drums continued:

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
Next type of drum

2) Slit or log drums (ekwe, ikoro, etc, etc)

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by fourboys: 12:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
Nice one
Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
3) Udu drum

One of the most unique Igbo instruments, and one of the most unique in the world. This drum is considered both an aerophone and an idiophone. This drum has gone through a lot of modernisation in the west and is now being sold by white folks as a unique percussion instrument.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Still on Udu

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
Xylophone

3 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
Zither

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2021
Thumb pianos

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2021
Pluriarc

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 12:56pm On Sep 10, 2021
harp

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:04pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lutes

Igbos have several different type of lutes, classifed according to string and size, however these seems to have gone extinct.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
Musical bow

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2021
Flutes

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
Gongs

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
I've noticed that many of our stringed instruments (une, ubo akwara, zither, harp, etc, ect) have fallen out of fashion in the past several decades. I believe it's because traditional orchestras nowadays use mostly percussion and flute instruments. it'll be great if young children would be able to learn some of these instruments in school.

Like these Chinese students learning the traditional Chinese Zither.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Also, culture doesn't have to stay stagnant. Just take a look at a picture of a piano in it's early years vs a piano now.

Igbos can easily adapt their instruments to suit the modern age, much like whites are doing with the udu. In time, people will be able to play rock and roll with an Igbo pluriarc or even create completely different genres of music.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
There are also a multitude of other instruments as well such as rattles, shakers, bells and horns that I haven't posted yet.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
Nice thread smiley
Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2021
Oyinbos are currently making a fortune selling thumb pianos and doing thumb piano orchestras. Even more than the African originators.

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by theTranscriber: 2:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
Shiver99:
Lutes

Igbos have several different type of lutes, classifed according to string and size, however these seems to have gone extinct.
nice thread

this is how it should be

no bashing of others to raise yourself up

kudos

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Abohboy: 3:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
Shiver99:
Next type of drum

2) Slit or log drums (ekwe, ikoro, etc, etc)

Fun Fact

The Ekwe was used for messaging and signalling in the past there were skilled people who knew how to play the Ekwe at a specific tune to read out a message that other trained people could understand and the noise could travel about 5km so each village had to have one in order to communicate information from one village to the next and there were instances when the Aro started their conquest where they destroyed the Ekwe in each town so they were unable to tell the villages in the area that the Aro had arrived.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Abohboy: 3:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
Shiver99:
Thumb pianos

This is the one that really interests me I never thought i'd see a piano like instrument in an pre colonial African society but wow this is advanced do you know if they spread these instruments to other groups or if it was solely found in the Igbo area?

1 Like

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
Abohboy:

This is the one that really interests me I never thought i'd see a piano like instrument in an pre colonial African society but wow this is advanced do you know if they spread these instruments to other groups or if it was solely found in the Igbo area?

Thumb pianos are one of Africa's oldest instruments originating from groups such as Igbos, bantus, semi-bantus....They all differ according to type, region, make.

The oldest surviving Igbo thumb piano is approx 1000 + years old.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Shiver99: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
Abohboy:

Fun Fact

The Ekwe was used for messaging and signalling in the past there were skilled people who knew how to play the Ekwe at a specific tune to read out a message that other trained people could understand and the noise could travel about 5km so each village had to have one in order to communicate information from one village to the next and there were instances when the Aro started their conquest where they destroyed the Ekwe in each town so they were unable to tell the villages in the area that the Aro had arrived.

Yep, from a modern perspective where we have loudspeakers and microphones it's hard to imagine how far and effectively these sounds could travel.

I think I attached a picture of one of those village-wide, communication ekwes. They were so large they required someone climbing to the top just to play it.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos, Let Us Revive Our rapidly dying Musical Heritage by Abohboy: 9:49am On Sep 11, 2021
Shiver99:

Yep, from a modern perspective where we have loudspeakers and microphones it's hard to imagine how far and effectively these sounds could travel.

I think I attached a picture of one of those village-wide, communication ekwes. They were so large they required someone climbing to the top just to play it.

Yeah i think it was the last picture you posted that was the village wide one but do you see any way in which these could be revived and brought back into a modern system either for cultural or social events?

(1) (Reply)

IPOB, The Only Loser In This Anambra Election? / Breaking News!!! Anambra, And Imo Clashed Over Ipbo And Esn!!! / Kano State Vat More Than The Whole South East State Combined-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.