Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

The Christian Alcohol Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Christian Alcohol Debate (874 Views)

Tinubu: I Am One Of The Best Friends Of The Christian Community (Video) / Moment Shettima Acknowledged 30 "Bishops" From The Christian Faith (video) / Alcohol Consumption In Nigeria Per Geopolitical Zone - NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christian Alcohol Debate by Elbinawi: 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
The Christian Alcohol Debate

This morning I closely followed the Christian Alcohol Debate on the Nigerian Twitter street and it was fascinating.

A Lady triggered the debate with this salvo:

"You cannot worship Jesus and drink alcohol"

She was countered with this:

When Jesus Himself drank alcohol.

"Then he took a cup of wine, thanked God for it, and gave it to them. He said, “Each one of you drink some of it" - Matthew 26:27

Someone replied him with this:

..You can't be fill with the spirit while tipsy ! Ephesians 5:18

Another person quoted this:

The Son of Man came eating and DRINKING, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children.” Matt 11:19
-------------------------

Mee:

Yes, from authentic Biblical source Jesus drank wine. Then I asked myself what is "wine"?

Check this:

"Wine is an alcoholic drink typically made from fermented grapes. Yeast consumes the sugar in the grapes and converts it to ethanol, carbon dioxide and heat. Different varieties of grapes and strains of yeasts are major factors in different styles of wine."

It is obvious from some verses of the Bible that getting drunk from alcoholic drinks is condemned. Gluttonous consumption of alcoholic drinks leads to alcoholism (Alcoholism is the most severe form of alcohol abuse and involves the inability to manage drinking habits. It is also commonly referred to as alcohol use disorder.)

At the advent of Islam, drinking Alcohol was legal. Some Muslims were freely drinking Alcohol then. The problems started arising when some of them got drunk and during prayers they will misbehave. Then a Verse was revealed that "You should no pray while under the influence of alcohol". And this Quranic verse reminded me of the verse in the Bible: ..You can't be fill with the spirit while tipsy ! Ephesians 5:18. Then at last another Verse was revealed that totally banned the consumption of alcoholic drinks.

Historically, Christians drink alcoholic drinks but the major problem has always been to establish a demarcation line of moderate drinking and drinking in excess. It is universally accepted that drinking Alcohol in excess is a disease that needed cure.

It is a known fact of history that alcoholism has destroyed countless people and destroyed countless families. Some people addicted to alcohol easily commit suicide when getting doses become difficult. I think this is the main reason why a Christian minority is challenging the legality of alcohol consumption in Christianity.

Conclusion:

After much consideration, my candid opinion is that really alcohol has some advantages but the disadvantages out weight the advantages. And this my opinion does not diminish my respect for some of my Christian Friends who take alcohol. God Knows Best!

Harun Elbinawi
elbinawi@yahoo.com
Elbinawi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by xifer: 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2021
well alcohol is not the problem, addiction is.

2 Likes

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Amotolongbo(f): 12:28pm On Sep 11, 2021
Na we Nigerians dey misyearn.

The oyinbo gave their Wine definition as a fermented fruit, definitely having alcohol. And they’ve been taking their wine from time immemorial and seeing nothing bad in drinking it.

Though there are non-alcoholic wines which have the alcohol of the fermented fruit removed and still retaining the flavour of the wine
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by SarkinYarki: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2021
I never pray when alcohol is in my system no matter how small ..such prayers can never key
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Arda1000(m): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Na we Nigerians dey misyearn.

The oyinbo gave their Wine definition as a fermented fruit, definitely having alcohol. And they’ve been taking their wine from time immemorial.

Though there are non-alcoholic wines which have the alcohol of the fermented fruit removed and still retaining the flavour of the wine
check the meaning of fermented wine before talking rubbish
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Amotolongbo(f): 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2021
Arda1000:
check the meaning of fermented wine before talking rubbish
”fermented wine”?

Your brain must be paining you
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by yanabasee2: 12:43pm On Sep 11, 2021
Me like this.... I don't have time for anything that is nonsense....

I buy my wine and sip it as I want.... I get tipsy and I sleep.... I wake up go hustle..... get paid and go to church and dance to God and do my offering and go home and rest.... if you like, preach say wine no good... e no consine me....

As a Christian, some people condemning alcohol intake are busy commiting adultery and fornication... Some are liars and others are thieves... Many others with terrible behaviors and rude to their neighbors....But they point fingers to every other person except themselves....
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by onyegwu(m): 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2021
Islam would have being the best religion if they can cub their jihadist tendency. They would have made much more better societies because the followers respect the God they serve and follow his instructions. Christians are disobedient followers. Followers who always find passages to justify their wrong doings.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Arda1000(m): 1:16pm On Sep 11, 2021
Amotolongbo:
”fermented wine”?

Your brain must be paining you
na only wig Dey head oponu
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Amotolongbo(f): 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2021
Arda1000:
na only wig Dey head oponu
What is “fermented wine”?

Just try to prove to us that you are better than the lunatics roaming the street by telling us what “fermented wine” is!
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Arda1000(m): 1:50pm On Sep 11, 2021
Amotolongbo:
What is “fermented wine”?

Just try to prove to us that you are better than the lunatics roaming the street by telling us what “fermented wine” is!
fermentation in winemaking is what converts grapes into alcohol. ... These yeasts convert the natural sugars of the grapes into ethanol and carbon dioxide (which is a byproduct that gets released into the atmosphere and isn't important for the wine). However, fermentation doesn't just create alcohol.
No be say person wear wig of 1500 be say em get sense
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Karmatyra(f): 1:56pm On Sep 11, 2021
onyegwu:
Islam would have being the best religion if they can cub their jihadist tendency. They would have made much more better societies because the followers respect the God they serve and follow his instructions. Christians are disobedient followers. Followers who always find passages to justify their wrong doings.
You are right. The islamic religion would have been so perfect, if not for those jihadist and terrorist kinda things. The followers follow their tenets to the last core wether it is ideal, old, or doesnt fit into the real sense of the world or not so far as it is stated, they dont care, they obey.
Christianity on the other hand which has no terror or fear, and is very mild and meek with the best freedom you could ever get from a religion, has very adamant followers, who dont really care about their religion. The problem in Christianity is the freedom through christ, it makes Christians misbehave alot. Its like the devil made sure to twist the followers of both religions to suit his perfect agenda. I stand corrected tho.
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Amotolongbo(f): 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2021
Arda1000:
fermentation in winemaking is what converts grapes into alcohol. ... These yeasts convert the natural sugars of the grapes into ethanol and carbon dioxide (which is a byproduct that gets released into the atmosphere and isn't important for the wine). However, fermentation doesn't just create alcohol.
No be say person wear wig of 1500 be say em get sense
you see your life?

How is “fermentation in wine making” the same as “fermented wine”?

That is how to know a nairaland member with subzero IQ.

Please go and engage your fellow preteenagers to play with sand
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by iamDrRhymes(m): 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2021
Alcohol is not a sin.
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 11, 2021
sad You definitely can't worship God in this Condition angry angry angry

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by RepoMan007: 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2021
The logic is little bit like that of drugs and drug abuse. Drugs can be abused like alcohol but alcohol in moderation can have good side. The key is the line between moderation and excess
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by LadyExcellency: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2021
The bible describes Fruit juice and other vegetables juices as wines not necessarily fermented or not.

Unfermented vine was widely used in the bible together with the unleavened bread. Yet when fermented, it reduced Noah to a caricature.

No passage of the bible lays cridence to the assumption that Jesus Christ took any alcohol.

Holy Spirit filled person hadly (for me it's impossible) takes alcohol.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Charmingrascal(m): 3:55pm On Sep 11, 2021
Elbinawi:

This morning I closely followed the Christian Alcohol Debate on the Nigerian Twitter street and it was fascinating.

"Then he took a cup of wine, thanked God for it, and gave it to them. He said, “Each one of you drink some of it" - Matthew 26:27

The Son of Man came eating and DRINKING, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children.” Matt 11:19

Mee:

Yes, from authentic Biblical source Jesus drank wine. Then I asked myself what is "wine"?

Check this:

"Wine is an alcoholic drink typically made from fermented grapes. Yeast consumes the sugar in the grapes and converts it to ethanol, carbon dioxide and heat. Different varieties of grapes and strains of yeasts are major factors in different styles of wine."

It is obvious from some verses of the Bible that getting drunk from alcoholic drinks is condemned. Gluttonous consumption of alcoholic drinks leads to alcoholism (Alcoholism is the most severe form of alcohol abuse and involves the inability to manage drinking habits. It is also commonly referred to as alcohol use disorder.)

At the advent of Islam, drinking Alcohol was legal. Some Muslims were freely drinking Alcohol then. The problems started arising when some of them got drunk and during prayers they will misbehave. Then a Verse was revealed that "You should no pray while under the influence of alcohol". And this Quranic verse reminded me of the verse in the Bible: ..You can't be fill with the spirit while tipsy ! Ephesians 5:18. Then at last another Verse was revealed that totally banned the consumption of alcoholic drinks.

Historically, Christians drink alcoholic drinks but the major problem has always been to establish a demarcation line of moderate drinking and drinking in excess. It is universally accepted that drinking Alcohol in excess is a disease that needed cure.

It is a known fact of history that alcoholism has destroyed countless people and destroyed countless families. Some people addicted to alcohol easily commit suicide when getting doses become difficult. I think this is the main reason why a Christian minority is challenging the legality of alcohol consumption in Christianity.

Conclusion:

After much consideration, my candid opinion is that really alcohol has some advantages but the disadvantages out weight the advantages. And this my opinion does not diminish my respect for some of my Christian Friends who take alcohol. God Knows Best!

Harun Elbinawi
elbinawi@yahoo.com
Elbinawi.

Drinking alcohol is not a problem, getting drunk and making mockery of yourself is.

Philippians 5 - 15-18 "......do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit".

Drink but don't get drunk, do everything moderately.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by mrvitalis(m): 3:58pm On Sep 11, 2021
Elbinawi:

Mee:

Check this:

Conclusion:

Harun Elbinawi
elbinawi@yahoo.com
Elbinawi.
God instructed we should use our tithe to buy alcohol and strong win if it's what we want ... haven't u read that part in the Bible ?

1 Like

Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by Charmingrascal(m): 5:37pm On Sep 11, 2021
onyegwu:

I am a Christian bro and I can't agree less with this your fantastic thought.

Many Christians twist the Holy Bible to suit their narratives.
That is why Deeper life will tell you that alcohol is bad while Catholic will tell you to do it moderately.

Mountain of fire will tell you that wearing jewelries and women not covering their head to Church is not Biblical while Christ Embassy will tell you that there is nothing unBiblical about it.

If not for the violent and intolerant nature of many Muslims and their belief that they can fight for God hence their reason for seeing nothing bad in killing people all in the name of Jihad.
Islam would have been a very acceptable religion by many, (myself included).

Hitherto I thought Elbinawi was an extremist but he has proved me wrong with this conservative and thought provoking thread about "Christian alcohol debate".
No disrespect to Christians or Christ in this thread and I must commend him for that.
Re: The Christian Alcohol Debate by stobery(m): 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2021
The analysis is topnotch, well done op

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Politician Indicted In U.S, U.K, May Become Governor / Bandits Impose Tax On Katsina State Farmers / Nigeria's Independence Day: 5 Books That Will Help You Understand Nigeria Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.