Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names (20059 Views)

Some Funky Igbo Names And Their Meaning / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by ezeagu(m): 2:47pm On May 27, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Are you talking about the 'Ocole' names up there? Ocole [Okolie] (as in Okorie)? Is that what you mean?

I think it might be Okoli instead.

ChinenyeN:

There's actually a village or people by that answer 'Nike Onicha' (said to actually be 'Nike Enu Onicha') though.

Where is it?
Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On May 27, 2011
I think it might actually be 'Okole', though.

Nike Enu Onicha are in Igbo-Etiti, from what I read. http://igboetiti..com/2010/10/history-and-tradition-of-people-of-igbo.html
Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by ezeagu(m): 3:27pm On May 27, 2011
So they are Nike people not Onicha? Okay.
Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by obinali: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2011
Ogbonne
Ekeoma
Nwanneka
Odogwu
Ariringuzo
Igboecheonwu
Nwaezeka
Nwoke
Nwadi
Adaku
Obumneme
Agwunobi
Ebirim
Njoku
Anosike
Nnadi
Dumkwu
Oledibe
Olebara
Ezeji
Ihuaku
Nnedinma
Anyiam
Osuoha
Osuigwe
Nwaosu

1 Like

Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by RedCapChief(m): 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2016
Bawss1:
Nice thread

I am in favor of giving the Chi and Chukwu names a rest. I think this should be encouraged so that sense of awe and deep respect which should be linked to anything that remotely has to do with our Creator is restored. Sometimes one shudders when one hears an angry parent calling their misbehaving child to order. Chibuzor, will you stop that nonsense! Nwachukwu shut up there! Although these types of names were given so as to honor or thank the Creator for the child, sometimes in everyday usage we etch away that sense that the names represent.

Anyways some non chi names

Aloefuna
Emenike
Nnennaya
Uwakwe
Enyiocha
Umeora
Ezinne

Please I'd be grateful if you could share the meaning of these names.

@ezeagu, I was reading a paper online and I came across another meaning of the name "Onuora". It meant someone who overcame a multitude i.e Onuo ora.
I thought it meant 'Mouth of the people.'

What do you think?
Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by ezeagu(m): 3:11pm On Nov 22, 2016
RedCapChief:

Please I'd be grateful if you could share the meaning of these names.

@ezeagu, I was reading a paper online and I came across another meaning of the name "Onuora". It meant someone who overcame a multitude i.e Onuo ora.
I thought it meant 'Mouth of the people.'

What do you think?

In general people go with 'leader or representative', and if someone were using the other meaning the pronunciation at least would be very different I think, plus in dialects that use lu instead of nu, Onuora is Onuoha, so.

1 Like

Re: List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names by pmisevich(m): 10:32pm On Jun 16, 2017
Hello everyone. I stumbled upon this discussion a few weeks ago and read through it with deep interest. I hope you will indulge my desire to revive such an old thread. I am one of the people involved in the development of the Voyages website, from which the screenshot of the list of names on the first page of this thread came. I wanted to bring to this group's attention a parallel project that has emerged from those names, in which we try to engage people knowledgeable about the origins of African names in an attempt to identify the names' ethno-linguistic origins (in short, precisely what many of you were doing in this thread!). We have duplicated the list of Liberated African names from Voyages onto the website www.african-origins.org. Anyone interested in contributing to the website can contact me or go directly to the site. The vast majority -- 46,300 out of 91491 -- of individuals whose information is documented in that site were enslaved and sold through a port in what today would be Nigeria. We have been working extensively with Nigerians on going through these data but given the range of backgrounds of the Liberated Africans in the website, we would welcome additional feedback. I'm sorry if this seems like shameless self-promotion but I was extremely interested in the spirited discussion here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Different Masquerades At The New Yam Festival Anambra State / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / 32 Crowned Obas In Ibadan Is Just A Joke Carried Too Far — Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.