Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why (4938 Views)

UNICAL Frowns Over Lecturers Give Students Exams Scripts To Student Home, Hotels / Is It Right To Give Students Areas Of Concentration (AOC) Before Exams? / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by phemmylink(m): 11:08am On Sep 12, 2021
A student studying in Russia says:

The highest score for most of the exams in Russia is 5.
If a student does not answer any question and returns back his exam paper blank, with no question answered, he gets 2 out of 5.

In my first days at the University of Moscow, I did not know about this system and I was surprised and asked Dr. Theodor Medraev: "Is this fair that a student did not answer any question and you give him 2 out of 5? Why not give him a zero ?
Isn't that the right way ?"

He answered:
"How can we give a Human Being a zero ?
How can we give him a zero to someone who was getting up at 7 am to attend all the lectures ?
How can we give him a zero since he got up in this cold weather, and used public transport and reached to do the exam in time, and tried to solve the questions ?
How can we give him a zero for the nights he used to study and spent his money on pens and notebooks and bought a computer for studying ?
How can we give him a zero when he left all other life styles and pursued his studies ?
Here my son, we do not give a zero to a student just because he did not know the answer.
We at least try to respect the fact that this is a Human Being, and he is having a brain, and he tried.
Because this result which we give, is not just for the questions in the exam paper, it is also about showing appreciation and respect to the fact that this is a Human Being and deserves to have a score."

Truly I cried and did not know how to respond. There I knew my value as a Human Being. Zeros can actually decrease motivation on students, and can quickly destroy them and make them stop caring about their studies altogether.
Once a zero score has been put in the grade book, they need no longer care about that subject and they may assume that, there’s nothing they can do about it.

_*An excellent message to all teachers and whoever is involved in promoting education; let's re-think on the best approach of evaluating our students!

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by phemmylink(m): 11:09am On Sep 12, 2021
Book
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Solsix(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2021
We are Nigerians nna, we value cow more, so stop crying

6 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by chatinent: 11:15am On Sep 12, 2021
In Nigeria, hello?

Lecturer don announce to you already say A is for God.

B is for him.

C is for serious students and those available for sexually transmitted grades...all other persons can go to hell.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Mokason288(m): 11:20am On Sep 12, 2021
grin

2 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by 2rez: 12:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
chatinent:
In Nigeria, hello?

B is for him.

C is for serious students and those available for sexually transmitted grades...all other persons can go to hell.

grin
Them suppose arrange that kain lecturer for street, teach am confirm sense & yearn am say life no hard, na people like him make am complex.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by christejames(m): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2021
Nigerian lecturers be like:

We don't do that here!

11 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Oche211(m): 12:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Nigerian lecturers just left this group chat.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Nebes: 12:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Dvoika is same as zero. Dvoishniks in Russia will definitely be zero students in Nigeria.
I know you understand that any little attempt should be enough to earn the student a 3 which is definitely a sad score for serious minded Nigerian students in Russia.

4 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by sparog(m): 1:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
chatinent:
In Nigeria, hello?

B is for him.

Sexually transmitted grades grin
So funny

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Vulcanheph(m): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2021
This is so enlightening.

Mods please move this to FP.
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
In naija, no considerations. They'll give you your deserved ODO. Lol..

Their system there is very flexible and easy compared to what we have down here.

2 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JimmyDarmody: 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2021
Shift your focus from what was posted and ask yourself whats the mindset behind it.
I see a mindset
_that is committed towards building a better world
_that values the life of every individual
_that when given power will not abuse it
_thats full of mental courage and strength
_thats motivated by selflessness

3 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 1:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
So many low esteem people here, see them already dissing their country cos another country has their own standard, other countries give zero marks to students who didn't do well in exams, it is not a Nigerian thing, does that mean those countries don't care for their well being?

@Op that nonsense giving a student who submitted a blank sheet 2 marks is rubbish, that is encouraging failure, and submitting a blank sheet to a lecturer that took his time to teach is an insult and a waste of his time and energy, the student will not be motivated to do better cos they will always accept the fact that 2 marks is better than nothing, and the effort of parents paying school fees of that type of student is a pure waste of funds, stop encouraging failure, having a zero will make a student sit up and do better, especially when carry over keep mounting up.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by ChangedMan1999(m): 1:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
cry

Some people say that it is self hate.

But the truth and life is we Africans are not doing well.

We are lagging.

We are crude.

We are ruthless in a foolish way.

When I was little, I used to wonder why teachers will score an absent student 0,
and still score a student who attempted the exam 0.

2 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Ay04z(m): 1:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
U go even have minus... For some lecturer

1 Like

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
ChangedMan1999:
cry

But the truth and life is we Africans are not doing well

Your lineage amigo, classify your assumptions to your lineage.

1 Like

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by MufasaLion: 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2021
JovialJune:
So many low esteem people here, see them already dissing their country cos another country has their own standard, other countries give zero marks to students who didn't do well in exams, it is not a Nigerian thing, does that mean those countries don't care for their well being?

@Op that nonsense giving a student who submitted a blank sheet 2 marks is rubbish, that is encouraging failure, and submitting a blank sheet to a lecturer that took his time to teach is an insult and a waste of his time and energy, the student will not be motivated to do better cos they will always accept the fact that 2 marks is better than nothing, and the effort of parents paying school fees of that type of student is a pure waste of funds, stop encouraging failure, having a zero will make a student sit up and do better, especially when carry over keep mounting up.

Cheers! A bottle of Budweiser for you. cool

2 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by ChangedMan1999(m): 1:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
JovialJune:

Your lineage amigo, classify your assumptions to your lineage.

You must to be mentally r.etarded.

If you are still learning how to quote, I will advise you to jump and pass my comment.

Useless s.wine
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by SEGLIZ: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
phemmylink:
A student studying in Russia says:

The highest score for most of the exams in Russia is 5.
If a student does not answer any question and returns back his exam paper blank, with no question answered, he gets 2 out of 5.

In my first days at the University of Moscow, I did not know about this system and I was surprised and asked Dr. Theodor Medraev: "Is this fair that a student did not answer any question and you give him 2 out of 5? Why not give him a zero ?
Isn't that the right way ?"

He answered:
"How can we give a Human Being a zero ?
How can we give him a zero to someone who was getting up at 7 am to attend all the lectures ?
How can we give him a zero since he got up in this cold weather, and used public transport and reached to do the exam in time, and tried to solve the questions ?
How can we give him a zero for the nights he used to study and spent his money on pens and notebooks and bought a computer for studying ?
How can we give him a zero when he left all other life styles and pursued his studies ?
Here my son, we do not give a zero to a student just because he did not know the answer.
We at least try to respect the fact that this is a Human Being, and he is having a brain, and he tried.
Because this result which we give, is not just for the questions in the exam paper, it is also about showing appreciation and respect to the fact that this is a Human Being and deserves to have a score."

Truly I cried and did not know how to respond. There I knew my value as a Human Being. Zeros can actually decrease motivation on students, and can quickly destroy them and make them stop caring about their studies altogether.
Once a zero score has been put in the grade book, they need no longer care about that subject and they may assume that, there’s nothing they can do about it.

_*An excellent message to all teachers and whoever is involved in promoting education; let's re-think on the best approach of evaluating our students!
I see it as a national policy, not just one teacher or lecturer trying to motivate their students.

if only our education policy makers are aware of this (that is if they ain't aware it), then implement it here in our system.

this remind me of MORTAL COMBAT with that intro interface 'No Knowledge Is Lost' our policy makers had education so easy and smooth but made it tougher for us. from free education to, to free food, scholarship etc.
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 1:39pm On Sep 12, 2021
chatinent:
In Nigeria, hello?

B is for him.

Be specific, say public universities, I thought you guys approve of lecturers intentionally failing you guys, making life difficult for y"all as a form education and enlightenment? Why the change of mouth all of a sudden? Because this is a foreign school in a foreign country right? Yet y"all will open dirty mouths to condemn private universities that give students what they rightly deserve, you see say una hypocrisy no get part 2, and it is as a result of asslicking anything foreign even if same thing applies here, rubbish.

1 Like

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2021
ChangedMan1999:
cry

But the truth and life is we Africans are not doing well.

We are lagging.

We are crude.

We are ruthless in a foolish way.

When I was little, I used to wonder why teachers will score an absent student 0,
and still score a student who attempted the exam 0.

The bolded applies to your family and lineage

@ the unbolded, so because a student attempted the exam means he must be automatically rewarded a pass mark? Is writing or passing an exam going to benefit the lecturer or the student?

If a student fails an exam, but receives a pass mark for it, then later in future he or she gets to apply that failure which he thinks he's right because the lecturer rewarded him with a pass mark, won't it affect the student in the long run? This is why in the society today, we have people who cheated and fvcked their way through school having a good certificate, getting jobs they know nothing about, thereby destroying the society and economy as we are experiencing today, so tell me exactly why failure should be encouraged again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
ChangedMan1999:

You must to be mentally r.etarded.

If you are still learning how to quote, I will advise you to jump and pass my comment.

Useless s.wine

You are referring to your parents not me

Hurts right? Rightly so, next time your generalisation should be directed to your household only.

2 Likes

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Olafunmi2018: 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2021
Not in Nigeria education system
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by chatinent: 1:57pm On Sep 12, 2021
JovialJune:

Be specific, say public universities, I thought you guys approve of lecturers intentionally failing you guys, making life difficult for y"all as a form education and enlightenment? Why the change of mouth all of a sudden? Because this is a foreign school in a foreign country right? Yet y"all will open dirty mouths to condemn private universities that give students what they rightly deserve, you see say una hypocrisy no get part 2, and it is as a result of asslicking anything foreign even if same thing applies here, rubbish.

I don't know who annoyed you that you should generalise an opinion of one person..tag foul languages and paste it with my name...however, I will still decide to respect you.

Have a nice century.
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by BlackyOne: 2:03pm On Sep 12, 2021
Lol, I'm laughing so hard at myself now...

Omo our problem starts the very first day we became Nigerians and the problem is multiplied according to your poverty level...

grin grin grin
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by JovialJune(f): 2:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
chatinent:

I don't know who annoyed you that you should generalise an opinion of one person..tag foul languages and paste it with my name...however, I will still decide to respect you.

Have a nice century.

They start to gallop backwards in shame when caught pants down, oh so the usual generalisation has always been from one person? Ani you guys don't know the exact side of the functioning brain, literally

All of you praising foreign countries have amnesia, for real.

1 Like

Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Randy100: 2:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
Compete or die.
Re: In Russia They Don't Give Students Zero Score. See Why by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
Nigerian girls are useless: ALL OF THEM!

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Worst Courses To Study In Nigeria / Study In North Cyprus Now With 50% Scholarship Without Any Exam !!! / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.