Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,679 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria (936 Views)

Why Web Desigining Is Most Important In Today World / These Web Developers Are Drunk! / What's With Web Developers And The Word "We"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Yesterday, one of my friends approached me and was like: ‘Bros, how far? Na you dey chop money o, with this your web design thing.’ and it really got me thinking.

To be frank, Nigerian web design businesses tend to be largely unprofitable, well, at least for start ups.

Yes, I know that there are many Nigerian web design companies, like, well, Anakle, that have fought through the mist of doubts and become thriving businesses, but, on a scale of 1 to 10, Nigerian web design businesses do not do as well as their counterparts in, say, United Kingdom.

Lack of Creativity

Believe this or not, but one of the main reasons why Nigerian web design businesses fail to get off the ground is due to the lack of creativity on the part of the web developers and designers.

I have had the opportunity to go around some websites built by Nigerian web design companies, and what strikes me the most is the lack of creativity. Most Nigerian web design companies (or freelance designers) rely on sites like themeforest to get themes for websites.

While this in itself isn’t bad, but to assert oneself as a web designer, you should be ready to get dirty with UI problems and headaches.

In addition, most Nigerian based web designers seem to not even keep up with latest design trends like responsive design.

Client Financing & Economy

Web design agencies in western countries, like UK, can easily charge clients up to £5,000 for web projects, thats like NGN1.3 million in local currency.

In Nigeria, any web developer who has this kind of payout on a project has probably meet a huge client like say MTN or Glo or someone big.

Its not unheard of for web designers and developers to charge hourly in some countries, but if you try telling your clients in Nigeria that you will be charging them hourly in Nigeria, well, you can kiss that project goodbye. No, for real, try it.

Subpar ‘web designers’ make it hard to charge

I know some people might criticise what I say, but I have seen some people call themselves web designers just because they can register a domain, install WordPress, and install a theme for WordPress.

While, this is pretty much the sum of the workflow of some WordPress designers, there’s still a lot more in-between logic.

Granted, everyone has their methods, I still think, if you cannot grab Notepad and code a less than basic page using HTML, some sort of Javascript and maintain a nice visual appeal, then you are NOT a web designer; quote me.

Generally, when people who can only install WordPress, start calling themselves web designers, then they don’t see the work it actually takes to build a real website from scratch and they start charging clients NGN30,000 for a website. The client doesn’t know better and assumes this is the general price for a website.

www.pelicanmedia.com.ng
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Webster563: 1:56am On Sep 13, 2021
Pelicanmedia:
Yesterday, one of my friends approached me and was like: ‘Bros, how far? Na you dey chop money o, with this your web design thing.’ and it really got me thinking.

To be frank, Nigerian web design businesses tend to be largely unprofitable, well, at least for start ups.

Yes, I know that there are many Nigerian web design companies, like, well, Anakle, that have fought through the mist of doubts and become thriving businesses, but, on a scale of 1 to 10, Nigerian web design businesses do not do as well as their counterparts in, say, United Kingdom.

Lack of Creativity

Believe this or not, but one of the main reasons why Nigerian web design businesses fail to get off the ground is due to the lack of creativity on the part of the web developers and designers.

I have had the opportunity to go around some websites built by Nigerian web design companies, and what strikes me the most is the lack of creativity. Most Nigerian web design companies (or freelance designers) rely on sites like themeforest to get themes for websites.

While this in itself isn’t bad, but to assert oneself as a web designer, you should be ready to get dirty with UI problems and headaches.

In addition, most Nigerian based web designers seem to not even keep up with latest design trends like responsive design.

Client Financing & Economy

Web design agencies in western countries, like UK, can easily charge clients up to £5,000 for web projects, thats like NGN1.3 million in local currency.

In Nigeria, any web developer who has this kind of payout on a project has probably meet a huge client like say MTN or Glo or someone big.

Its not unheard of for web designers and developers to charge hourly in some countries, but if you try telling your clients in Nigeria that you will be charging them hourly in Nigeria, well, you can kiss that project goodbye. No, for real, try it.

Subpar ‘web designers’ make it hard to charge

I know some people might criticise what I say, but I have seen some people call themselves web designers just because they can register a domain, install WordPress, and install a theme for WordPress.

While, this is pretty much the sum of the workflow of some WordPress designers, there’s still a lot more in-between logic.

Granted, everyone has their methods, I still think, if you cannot grab Notepad and code a less than basic page using HTML, some sort of Javascript and maintain a nice visual appeal, then you are NOT a web designer; quote me.

Generally, when people who can only install WordPress, start calling themselves web designers, then they don’t see the work it actually takes to build a real website from scratch and they start charging clients NGN30,000 for a website. The client doesn’t know better and assumes this is the general price for a website.

www.pelicanmedia.com.ng

But your website is also built on wordpress

1 Like

Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by umroland(m): 5:34am On Sep 13, 2021
Webster563:

But your website is also built on wordpress

The point here is not about using wordpress ,it's about been creative , building from scratch , using wordpress, webflow etc you still need to be creative to get the best of what your client need.
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 10:35am On Sep 13, 2021
Thanks for helping me out
umroland:

The point here is not about using wordpress ,it's about been creative , building from scratch , using wordpress, webflow etc you still need to be creative to get the best of what your client need.
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 10:38am On Sep 13, 2021
You even see people advertise professional website development for N20,000. I wonder how can they acheive that. Domain name and hosting alone will exhaust that 20k, The funny thing is that clients will still price them N15k grin

1 Like

Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Webster563: 12:47pm On Sep 13, 2021
Pelicanmedia:
You even see people advertise professional website development for N20,000. I wonder how can they acheive that. Domain name and hosting alone will exhaust that 20k, The funny thing is that clients will still price them N15k grin
But you posted a website for 45k with 20 pages, SEO, Google search/business submission, maintenance. All these for only 45k? This is very very below standard and i bet you will use wordpress for these projects. You are part of what you are condemning.
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 12:43pm On Sep 14, 2021
fair
Webster563:

But you posted a website for 45k with 20 pages, SEO, Google search/business submission, maintenance. All these for only 45k? This is very very below standard and i bet you will use wordpress for these projects. You are part of what you are condemning.
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Ayojideonline(m): 4:55pm On Sep 14, 2021
In my own bit, just keep up with what you do well, continue to tune up your skills, when you meet more right customers you will have a different perspective. Besides there are too many scams so far, web development is just gradually getting appreciated in Nigeria. Many Nigerians, especially older generations don't highly believe in online functions unless the enlightened ones and when they have no choice. Your market is just beginning to grow, continue to skill up. Good luck.
Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 12:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
GREAT
Ayojideonline:
In my own bit, just keep up with what you do well, continues tune up your skills, when you meet more right customers you will have a different perspective. Besides there are too many scams so far, web development is just gradually getting appreciated in Nigeria. Many Nigerians, especially older generations don't highly believe in online functions unless the enlightened ones and when they have no choice. Your market is just beginning to grow, continues to skill up. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Why Web Developers Are Suffering In Nigeria by Pelicanmedia: 1:28pm On Jun 04, 2023
Best Web Design Company in Lagos Nigeria pelican media known for being amongst the best website design & development company in Nigeria

www.pelicanmedia.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Everything You Need To Know About Becoming Web3 Manager / Free 1year Webhosting,Domain Name And Unlimited Webmails Plus Your Website. / I Am Making Money On Fanbox To Run My Startup And Support A Charity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.