Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,646 members, 7,813,168 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) (19897 Views)

Achievements Of Goodluck Ebele Johnathan (states By States) May 2011 -may 2015 / US Didn't Sanction Buhari In 2011 (video), Why Should Orubebe Be Sanctioned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by xpress(m): 9:11am On May 26, 2011
abi i dey feel dat woman in green speakin her mind;

'' weyi payi monyi 4 lighti buti ehnn wei dontu seei any lighti is dati howi them taki lighti ini londoni or ehmm americai, ehnn. cnn abii bbc ehnn wei are suffern herei o''

, tru Naijarian dat woman, N video's like this begs d questn, is jonathan watchn n if he is i can imagin him changn d channel to watch calabar festival or better yet stock exchange, its a pity cry cry cry
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by dasa: 9:37am On May 26, 2011
the problem with lagos is her population. Too many people people using too little infrastructure.

Aljazeera has the right to show what is existing. When we travel out, we should go to the bad places too and record them.

There are millions of igbos in lagos. If the south east becomes more economically viable. They will return home.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by luluosas(m): 11:04am On May 26, 2011
@omoekoni The population of Lagos is more than the state can bear! Fashola should get all rid non-lagosians from Lagos!!!!, to many people from other states come to settle in Lagos and yet they are complaining, if they don't like it then go back to your state.

I wish Lagos state can start issuing visa, seriously, if the only residents in Lagos are the original Lagosians, it would be a far better place but you have so many other people moving to Lagos daily, abeg its to much, you should all go back to your states and try to improve it instead of moving to Lasgidis!!!
Let it be known to you that, Lagos is not the end of Nigeria. There are a lot of people passing through Lagos for their destination. Do not mistaken such people as occupiers of Lagos. Again, don't think that every Nigerian is interested in Lagos as a base, no matter what is available and obtainable there. I for one has never visited Lagos and there is no crime about that.
So, when issues are raised, look at it from all angles critically in order for you to make meaningful contributions on it. Don't you ever think that, non Lagosians indigenes are the result of the rot in some areas of Lagos. If you happen to have emanated from Lagos center, it does not mean that, you cannot stay else where outside of Lagos. Keep your brain working well please!
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by rabzy: 11:09am On May 26, 2011
This is bad rep for Lagos, though the problem is caused by gripping poverty in the Hinterlands. At least from the video the guys acknowledged that they are better-off here than where they came from, they could eke out a living here, whereas in their hometown there was virtually little they could do

As per the people selling on the railway and expressway, when accidents happen and a mad trailer driver crushes people to death there, it is the government that gets the blame for allowing them. And when you arrange for some to leave maybe provide a place for them to sell, others promptly take over the space. Most times the government gives warning, but the warnings are not heeded.

Immediately the KAI officials leave, you see people setting up their kiosks again. There are several places where the government erected barricades (e.g oshodi) and barb wires to prevent people from crossing the highway, but people pull down these barriers and risk their lives.

Its a complex situation and the solution is not just straight-forward, it would take time, people would have to be educated and be re-oriented, the economy needs to grow, light has to be stable, and we wont solve all the same year.

For me since the mid-sixties, we have hardly had a government and now we are just learning how to vote, who to vote for, how to make a constitution, how to prosecute people etc. The finished product is still some decades away and in fact the product is never finished, there should always be a 'new improved ariel' in the way we do things, at least some state governments have started doing some things, eventually maybe later mediocres would even be scared to present themselves or forced to perform.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by ebony4life(f): 11:20am On May 26, 2011
MY SAY: I REFUSE to be MOVED! smiley

I so HATE Aljazeera lipsrsealed and their reporting angle, that's no news. Their stories breed more war, hatred and other bandwagon rubbish!
Before the Post-Election Violence they had started spreading RUBBISH!
We are aware of every, they should stop rubbing it in!

The way so many people like America, so many people also hate America so what's the fuss?

They should go ahead, keep on. It makes us stronger.

Wherever I dey, I'm Nigerian for Life! cool
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by MyJoe: 11:24am On May 26, 2011
LeoMax:
I didn't see the video Victoria Island where I live.

I see mischief.
The experience of the oppressed is the most relevant experience.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 26, 2011
No be the stay Lagos wey I leave last be this? Why this people dey fall Fash hand?
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by yesboss20(m): 1:41pm On May 26, 2011
As sm1 earlier commented: e don tey, no be today! Nigeria is obviously a failed state and people are suffering. It is just deeply appaling dt our leaders are so heartless.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by poweredcom(m): 1:59pm On May 26, 2011
So before do you think Nigerians are enjoying?, suffer too much here
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by LagosBoi2(m): 2:22pm On May 26, 2011
@GUYMAN02
=================================
You watched what the Arabs now call swinejazeera and you felt like crying, the station that reports everyday how NATO is bombarding Tripoli a heavily populated city and tell us they are protecting civilians.

Perhaps, they are planning something to destabilise this country and it starts from the media telling us how the 'international Community' is going to assist Nigeria fight poverty and insecurity by locating a NATO military base here.

Shine your eye, there are homeless people everywhere in Europe and how many documentaries have you watched on that?

You can cry me a river, how many documentaries have you watched in Aljazeera showing American Soldiers cutting off their dead victims body parts as souvenirs in Afghanistan (what is more degrading to humans than that?)
Please if you want to talk about news channels dont mention what you see in the corporate medias represented by CNN, Fox, Aljazeera, only watch them with bias.
See how they are promoting that French Woman Lagarde to become the new IMF MD, without mentioning the guy from South Africa or Mexico interested in the position which has been occupied by Europe for the past 65 years or making so many Nigerians to spend 24hrs watching so called royal wedding and thinking that the royals are from outer space which to me is no different from the son of Oba of Benin wedding.
Forget all these documentaries, Aljazeera should be showing us Fasholas achievement in the last four years.
=========================================================

Hey, It is better you reason twice before posting comments to the public.

It is obvious you don't even know Aljazeera from your comments, It is not an American or British cable channel like CNN, BCC Fox and the rest of them, Aljazeera is a Doha based new agency sponsored by Qatar. It is never politically motivated, It is set up for the people around the world and not for political reasons, The reason why i said you have not watched it before is simply because if you watch it once you will like the unbiased questions they ask top world leaders. If you have a good insight into Aljazeera you will know they give you news from every angle and every side. And yes i have watched several news and documentaries on the American occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan several times and Aljazeera has really helped fuel the middle east uprising that caused the change in Tunisia and Egypt and many other Arab nation yet to be liberated by the people. You should praise them for doing all these. Aljazeera is completely different from all other news station in the world. Hilary Clinton said recently "Like it or not we can't do without Aljazeera" They give them the much needed details to understand countries of the world through the people and not through the government. Aljazeera will open your eyes to the world. Try it and see, I hope you get the message. It will help you.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by LagosBoi2(m): 2:43pm On May 26, 2011
Posted by: ebony4life
Insert Quote
MY SAY: I REFUSE to be MOVED! Smiley

I so HATE Aljazeera Lips sealed and their reporting angle, that's no news. Their stories breed more war, hatred and other bandwagon rubbish!
Before the Post-Election Violence they had started spreading RUBBISH!
We are aware of every, they should stop rubbing it in!

The way so many people like America, so many people also hate America so what's the fuss?

They should go ahead, keep on. It makes us stronger.

Wherever I dey, I'm Nigerian for Life! Cool

No one is asking you to hate Nigeria, I guess you be big man picken and knows noting about the street, If you had lived on the street before you will know what kind of lessons to learn from the documentary. You will not be passing hates to the messenger and for your information this is not their first time of conducting documentaries about Nigeria also for your information Aljazeera has visited Fashola on a 30mins program during the early days of his first term in office and Fashola welcomed their crew, I don't expect Fashola to take offense in this documentary because he knows for sure that people still live in Lagos as shown in the documentary. He will only look for ways to make changes.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by cheikh: 3:00pm On May 26, 2011
@critics of Al Jazeera et al

Whatever happened to AIT and other so called media channels in Nigeria? Pls don't shoot the messenger sad or else make your own video about wherever you wish to depict.
I wonder why some Nigerians think that VI or even Ikoyi of today are lovely places? Our standards, values [/b]and [b]expectations must be very low indeed sad. I guess that informs our general insensitivity and awareness of our condition.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by dare2think: 3:57pm On May 26, 2011
It's funny how the momentum has shifted from the problems highlighted in the documetary to the Poster and the news-station.

The content is what needs to be addressed. Yes aljazeera may be biased, yes the Poster lives in SA, that  still does not take away problems shown in the program.

This thread is not about India's slum, or SA's riches, or the bloody station. This is about the plight of your fellow Nigerian. These issues needs to be discussed and to shed light on our failed systems. questions must be asked;

How did it reach this state?
What are the priorites of the government?
How do we identify the right set of people to lead us?
How do we enforce our human rights?

There are problems in every country, But we are talking about Nigeria now and Nigeria's problem. Shame on our leaders-past and present-  (Respect to only a few). I pray those with the power to change these people's lives but chose to embezzle will not see the friuts of their children (Yes, Im that angry)
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by jimtosam: 4:20pm On May 26, 2011
I almost cry when I watched this documentary, These guys really finish Nigeria in that video , .
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by dare2think: 4:22pm On May 26, 2011
^^^^^^

They did not finish nigeria, Nigerian leaders finished Nigeria.

They did not show a movie or simulation.

THEY SHOWED REALITY.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by chumakk: 4:29pm On May 26, 2011
@Johndoe100

What is the meaning of ? shocked

Crazy People In Crisis (CPC) has been declared a terrorist organization
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 26, 2011
I am happy Aljazeera did this. We Nigerians need to do something about our Police.
The egunje has become a norm.

Imagine i was robbed at gun point, Lost a car loaded with all my belongings, Laptops, clothes, money, atm card, i mean, i was unfortunately robbed on the very day i decided to move to a new house.
Ran to the nearest police station. Guess what, despite all the calamity that just befell me. I was asked to pay for mobilization
that day i had less than 2000 naira on me, and the police wants to 'manage' 1500 naira. and they kept ringing it in my ears "na help we dey help u oo, cos d money too small"

I have lost faith in my country.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by ektbear: 5:35pm On May 26, 2011
Haven't read through this thread. But I watched the video and liked it a lot. I dunno what was heartbreaking in it. Yes the people are poor, but everyone is working hard to make ends meet and to better their lives.

Progress will come with time.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Afanna1: 7:48pm On May 26, 2011

Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by natude1: 8:41pm On May 26, 2011
I must commend aljazeera for this documentary.

People should able look at issues , find a way of tackling it, but if not shown, then information wont go around.

Honestly, it should not be left with government alone, I will give a practical example, back in 1980's, we were joyed, whenever there is environmental sanitation, the passion was right there in Lagos to clean the environment. But unfortunately, I cant see that passion again, i dont care attitude now takes the centre stage.

Until, we imbibe that culture again, and see that the problem lies on us to lead others to succeed, show people in our community the way, poverty can be reduced through cleaning of environment, because sickness will reduce, people will be productive. Also, we need to assist government effort, because we are the government.

If not, then we will continue to see this kind of documentary by Aljazeera.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by molulu(f): 11:02pm On May 26, 2011
We should be self-critical enuf as a nation to admit when there are deplorable conditions and situations within our polity that require serious attention even if these facts are pointed out by outsiders (like Aljazeera). However we should read between the lines to the notice common trend with the international press 1) they like to report more of the bad than the good happening here. Many pple have admitted that prior to their coming,they felt Nigeria was outrightly chaotic based on media reports. 2) they like to act as if they don't have the kind of negative stories they tell about us in their own countries which is not true. The kind of terror, fear, poverty,& oppression that pple face in parts d arab world like pakistan, afghanistan, e.t.c cannot be compared to anything! The major enablers of this subtle attempt to derride this nation are those 'so called' nigerians who are always ready to support the worst opinions about their nation and pple. Yes nigeria has LOTS of issues but she is LEARNING, GROWING and can only live up to expectation if WE ALL CONTRIBUTE OUR QUOTA!
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by shotster50(m): 11:26pm On May 26, 2011
If it were the BBC, we would have seen the usual chants on here of bias, and anti Nigerian agenda. The fact is most Nigerians are very defensive when it comes to Nigeria, mostly beyond reason. Most people on here are not being objective about the documentary, instead they are abusing the poster, Why does the truth hurt so much?
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by molulu(f): 11:33pm On May 26, 2011
As for all those who felt like weeping or crying, that's actually a call to action:TRY to do STH about sth u so feel strongly abt, abi? Because @ d end of the day WE ALL MAKEUP NIGERIA- not just d president, govt officials,e.t.c. When u say u feel ashamed to be nigerian, you're saying u're ashamed of urself! A PPLE GET THE KIND OF SOCIETY THEY DESERVE AND DESERVE THE KIND OF SOCIETY THEY GET. Because afterall, if Nigeria is the way it is, WHAT HAVE YOU EVER REALLY DONE ABOUT IT?
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by molulu(f): 11:34pm On May 26, 2011
As for all those who felt like weeping or crying, that's actually a call to action:TRY to do STH about sth u so feel strongly abt, abi? Because @ d end of the day WE ALL MAKEUP NIGERIA- not just d president, govt officials,e.t.c. When u say u feel ashamed to be nigerian, you're saying u're ashamed of urself! A PPLE GET THE KIND OF SOCIETY THEY DESERVE AND DESERVE THE KIND OF SOCIETY THEY GET. Because afterall, if Nigeria is the way it is, WHAT HAVE YOU EVER REALLY DONE ABOUT IT?
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Kobojunkie: 11:37pm On May 26, 2011
molulu:

What if they told you they tried, but only last week, some of the same people you saw in the video handed over the mandate, yet again, to the same group of criminals in office?
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by musiwa46: 12:32am On May 27, 2011
I watch the video, ask what 12 year of tinubu is to lagos. it is a shame. 

You see people dont like akala in oyo state. even akala boost that he is better than tinubu. and look at this picture, you will know tinubu was a failure in lagos state.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by musiwa46: 12:33am On May 27, 2011
this is oyinlola own
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by musiwa46: 12:35am On May 27, 2011
this is fashola.  what was tinubu about for God sake.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by natude1: 3:00am On May 27, 2011
Whao, molulu, thanks for your contribution. Look, nairaland should be a forum for reorientation and knowledge about the good people of nigeria.

But unfortunately, it is now all about tribalism. I am usually an offline reader, i know how messages in this forum can go long way to change our orientation.

For us to move ahead, we must accept our problem, and put measures in place to tackle the problem. This forum should not all about the slogan 'i hate nigeria', but for the lovers of the country to fix it up. We should be quick to point out solution to the problem on this forum and not necessary problem alone and not necessary what the foreigners does. We dont know the people reading our messages, even people in government might stumble on it.

For example, if we didnt accept that our election was not credible before now, will JEGA be in INEC now.

Personally, I didnt see suffering or poverty but opportunity to serve my country better. We all need to fix it, if the professional expert leave the country everyday, who will fix it. Who will lead the poor masses, if not us. I pray all meaningful nigeria should join nairaland and other websites more to contribute meaningfully and not 'i hate nigeria' or president should do this or that.

As we make our bed, so we lay on it.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Afanna1: 4:32am On May 27, 2011
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Sagewood: 5:08am On May 27, 2011
The ONLY positive outcome from the Aljazeera's documentary is that it will encourage the Lagos State Government and the Federal Govt to look at the plight of the people of Makoko and relocate them to dry and habitable land. The coastal area should be coverted into tourist center.
Re: Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video) by Nobody: 7:00am On May 27, 2011
Standing in the rain shirtless while saying another man's raincoat is wet is rather condescending,

Aljazeera has a lot of slum to film around the world but they have joined the Other medias always targeting Black nations across the world to show the worst, It will only be bad if these people in those slums don't have anywhere else to go. but the truth is, they can survive elsewhere IN NIGERIA without slum dwelling. So Aljazeera can totally ignore everything going on in Libya and other Arab world to have a documentary about lagos shocked shocked shocked shocked Well I gotta say thanks for bringing the active administration to the know of this.

Some pretend to be an alternative to a painting but they are just the frame of that same painting!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NBA Accuses Nigeria Police Force Of Compromising Osun Rerun Election / New Minimum Wage: Falana Reveals Why It’s Illegal For Governors To Determine Amo / Insecurity Gave Me Sleepless Nights During My Tenure – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.