Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Forbidden Foods - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Forbidden Foods (1526 Views)

8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace / 10 Forbidden Names In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forbidden Foods by africhika(f): 12:57am On May 25, 2011
My dad told me for the first time today that his people don't eat coco yam. He refused to tell me why. But after my persistent interrogation, he finally admitted that coco yam is associated with one of the traditional idols. So, he will never eat it--I was surprised

What "forbidden foods" do you know of?
Re: Forbidden Foods by InkedNerd(f): 5:35am On May 25, 2011
Hmmmm, my response on "forbidden foods" is based more on gender. My mom makes this gizzard suya and some peppered gizzard [not entire sure if it called peppered gizzard]. One time my mom made peppered gizzard. On this particular day, there was only a little bit of gizzard so I and I gave it to my grandmother to eat. When she ate it, she told me that I should have given it to my dad and that gizzard is for men. I looked at her like "Huh??". Then there was on time my mother was telling me stories about my grandmother being my great grandfather's favorite child. So while she was telling me this story, she mentioned that my great grandfather used to go turtle hunting and that my grandmother would beg him to let her go [when she was a little girl]. He'd always say no and my and eventually, one day my grandmother secretly followed him. Although she thought he wasn't looking, my great grandfather knew my grandmother had followed him and tried to pretend he didn't see here lol. Anyway when they'd hunt for these turtles, they'd eat the meat from the turtle after catching or finding a turtle and my grandmother would ask for some and my great grandfather, despite the fact that he loved her a lot, he'd always say no and that turtle meat was only for men.
Re: Forbidden Foods by ifyalways(f): 8:25am On May 25, 2011
Not at all,I eat anything I so want.
I can relate with Inkerd's story though abt gizzard reserved for the man of the house but lol,in my own house,the rule then was whoever kills the fowl,gets the gizzard.

My birth town and native home forbids a handful of foods and meat and as always,a very funny reason is pushed at u when u query the reasoning plus all the scary things they claim wud betide you if u dare do otherwise.I ate all,nothing happened.
Re: Forbidden Foods by AndreUweh(m): 8:54pm On May 25, 2011
This thread reminds me of my Village ward-Umuelem in Isinweke, Ele (antelope) meat is forbidden because the ward derived her name from Antelope.
If an antelope (ele) is killed in that ward intentionaly or not, the culprit will be in trouble.
Re: Forbidden Foods by InkedNerd(f): 8:08am On May 27, 2011
ifyalways:

Not at all,I eat anything I so want.
I can relate with Inkerd's story though abt gizzard reserved for the man of the house but lol,in my own house,the rule then was whoever kills the fowl,gets the gizzard.

My birth town and native home forbids a handful of foods and meat and as always,a very funny reason is pushed at u when u query the reasoning plus all the scary things they claim wud betide you if u dare do otherwise.I ate all,nothing happened.

Ha, they're lucky I don't eat meat anymore otherwise I would be devouring all of the gizzard regardless of anyone's gender. Back in the day, I would have eaten it like crazy grin
Re: Forbidden Foods by pleep(m): 5:56pm On May 27, 2011
Sweet yam I think. grin
Re: Forbidden Foods by fd4all234(m): 3:06pm On May 28, 2011
@africhika thats true, anytin ther forefather use for idol they dont eat it.
Re: Forbidden Foods by tpia5: 5:20pm On May 28, 2011
^^true.

it's considered a kind of totem.

(1) (Reply)

Bini Traditional Calender / Man Buries Mother With New Hummer Jeep Instead Of Casket in Enugu / Free Online Igbo Dictionary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.