Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Can You Die For Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can You Die For Nigeria? (2466 Views)

Arunma Oteh Is Ready To Die For SEC / Lesson For Those That Want To Die For Politicians (Picture) / Can You Die For Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Can You Die For Nigeria? by txxxed(m): 1:23pm On Jul 21, 2007
Fellow Nairaland users, i have been bothered by this issue ever since i had been into sports.
I used to do the sprints (100m,200m) and was at the verge of runing for Akwa Ibom State at the sports festival some years back, but the treatment metted out to us athletes by the authorities really irritated me, and that led to me abandoning sports.
Now, we all hear about ill-treatment of our athletes and footballers by our so-called sports ministry, and after all these, they still want the best from the athletes, how possible?.
We all know that our dear athletes are in far away Algeria, sweating their asses out trying to win GOLD for Nigeria.well, if what you are about to read further down this post shocks you, take a quiet time and think about your status as a Nigeria.

Fasugba wins 100m, shuns Nigerian flag!!
AFRICA'S fastest man, Olusoji Fasugba lived up to his billing yesterday winning the 100m event of the All Africa Games in 10.18 seconds but spoiled what was a glorious outing when he bluntly refused  to celebrate with the country’s flag. Apparently irked by official’s indifference  to their training and general performance, the athlete felt that Nigeria, as a country, did not facilitate his victory and therefore saw nothing special in attributing his victory to the country as it would mean giving honour to who did not deserve it.

At a time the government approved huge sums of money  for the games and yet nothing reached the athletes for their welfare and preparation, winning had no government touch and rightly should not be attributed to it, so said Fasugba through his action. Uchenna Emedolu won bronze finishing behind Ghanaian Eric Mensah who won silver.

Olusoji had finished the race ahead of others and the Nigerians on the stands including Falcons threw in the green-white-green flags but he snubbed them. Frank Ilaboye, a Nigerian journalist  who was on the stand with his camera personally took another flag to him and he ignored it too.

His grudge message against the administration of sports in the country was clear. Emotions of victory would not betray that. He remained firm in his victory, won gold for Nigeria  but still got his message across.

Uchenna Emedolu grabbed the flag and gave to him and he turned it down too. The bitterness was unmistakable.  It was clear that Fasugba had stomached pains for the country and shunning Nigerian flag was his best way to show it in Algiers.
But in a show of diplomacy, he later said that the flag came late and  he had finished his celebration at the time it was given to him.

His attitude angered many Nigerians who stopped clapping for him the moment they noticed that he refused to celebrate with the pride of all athletes who win medals in the Africa Games. He did not care. He appeared to have satisfied himself as he has done his bit.

My question to you is this,as a Nigerian reading this post and having known about the many other blunders done by our sports authorities, DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO QUESTION FASUBA OR EVEN GET ANGRY BY WHAT HE HAS DONE?  remember this sort of nonesense has led to some of our best athletes and footballers abandoning the country for other countries that take their welfare serious. Does the name FRANCIS OBIKWELU ring a bell?
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by kgoddie(m): 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2007
N + O = NO. wetin be that shocked I no fit loose one night sleep sef.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by rasulua(m): 2:44pm On Jul 21, 2007
May d GOD of thunder strikes who so ever probes him,what for? I simple go with his idea cos in a very lousy way he as told them "am sick and tired of your bull shits" may GOD bless him.
But 2 be honest he shld av taken d flag and celebrate 4 d pride of being a nigerian nt 4 does nut sport association.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by sima(f): 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2007
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo NEVER sad sad sad
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by SMC(f): 12:08am On Jul 28, 2007
rasulua:

May d GOD of thunder strikes who so ever probes him,what for? I simple go with his idea because in a very lousy way he as told them "am sick and tired of your bull shits" may GOD bless him.
But 2 be honest he shld av taken d flag and celebrate 4 d pride of being a nigerian nt 4 does nut sport association.

Abeg Rusulua, what pride is there of being Nigerian?

@ topic, As Nigeria is today. . . MOST DEFINITELY NOT
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 12:49am On Jul 28, 2007
i don't think so
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by johnnygan(m): 7:56am On Aug 08, 2007
Fruitless country, therefore i can't waste ma life.
I need money so wake up
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by denex: 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2007
I can die for Nigeria. But only if my death can cause a positive change that will affect generations of Nigerians yet unborn. I'm definitely not going to die a useless death.

As for this Fasuba guy, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. When a child misbehaves, you have to scold the child. So also when a childish country misbehaves, you have to scold that childish country.

He's not the first one to do it. There was a time when African American athletes won Olympic medals and during the medal presentations and national anthem, they represented the black panther! They were protesting ill treatment of African Americans in the USA.

The man Fasuba loves this country so much, if not he wouldn't have contested. Nor would he have put in efforts to win. But he had to correct the ills he saw. That is a true patriot! I respect that man and I would have done the same.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by sima(f): 9:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
why dis story
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by trendy(f): 11:32am On Aug 10, 2007
i cant die to Nigeria, if i die for nigeria nigeria will go on, if i dont die for nigeria it will go on, so why waste my life
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by djcruise: 10:18pm On Aug 10, 2007
until i'm 105 years old. at least naija go don betta by dat time
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Nella(f): 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2007
come, na this 9ja we dey talk about, or another one dey??
lol! no way!
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:46pm On Sep 10, 2007
Not even the USA is worth dying for. No country is worth dying for. You can serve humanity only by living.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 8:14pm On Sep 10, 2007
Seun I disagree with your statement above
Seun:

Not even the USA is worth dying for. No country is worth dying for. You can serve humanity only by living.

SO all the military men in IRAQ getting killed on daily basis are they not dying for their country? Yes I can die for Nigeria but it depend on the circumstances. Reading the posters topic. Declining Nigerian flag is not a smart and effective way to get your message across to the world. They all should be ashamed of their actions. you can Publicly accept the flag and after that in your celebration speech exposed the sport ministry and officials, call a press conference and tell the media how you were treated, and that would have raised some noses.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 10, 2007
Yes I can die for Nigeria.

You can also serve humanity by dying. The freedom we enjoy all over the world today is only possible because of the hundreds of thousands of allied forces who died during the 2nd war- Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Normandy beach etc. Possible only because some brave men laid down their lives for generations unborn.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by rookie(m): 2:50pm On Sep 12, 2007
Eventhough it is easier said than done, I am willing to die for Nigeria if it is for a greater cause. I believe willingness to do so is indeed patriotic. We all keep praying and hoping for a better Nigeria without willing to shed a sweat.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by oisrael(m): 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2007
What a Question! Man are you for real
If I had I dream in which I died for Nigeria, I'll wake up and I'll proceed on dry fasting and prayers for 40 days and 40 nights.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by kaypinchi(m): 9:46pm On Sep 13, 2007
Nope
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by smile4kenn(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2007
it depends on d type of die
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 3:32pm On Oct 02, 2007
I cannot die for Nigeria and I will not die for Nigeria!!!! [b]The thieving politicians are more qualified to die for Nigeria as they are the ones enjoying the good of the land!![/b]
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by iykrion(m): 7:14pm On Oct 02, 2007
For what? Is she worth it? Nigeria should rather die for me angry
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 11:36pm On Oct 02, 2007
denex:

I can die for Nigeria. But only if my death can cause a positive change that will affect generations of Nigerians yet unborn. I'm definitely not going to die a useless death.

You seem to have an Obssesive Compulsive Lying Disorder.It might do you a bit of good to be honest once in a while.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 11:51pm On Oct 02, 2007
I-man:

You seem to have an Obssesive Compulsive Lying Disorder.It might do you a bit of good to be honest once in a while.

grin cheesy grin grin cheesy

Gosh!
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 8:11am On Oct 03, 2007
I was not trained to be a soldier. Why should I think of dying for my country?
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by denex: 9:05am On Oct 03, 2007
@mamajama

I think what Fasuba did was right. Right now Nigeria to a large extent needs chastisement in broad daylight. Especially in the sports ministry where as long as they achieve success, they don't agree that they have some corrections to make.

Did you see how The Falcons were treated with absolute neglect? If I were on that team, I wouldn't have any of my fellow players to take part in the last match against the USA because we would definitely lose and we would lose because of the failures of the Sports Ministry.

I cannot lose in front of the whole world due to another man's failures.

Compare this same scenario to the under 17 world cup won by the "Golden Parent-Stock". As long as they won and they celebrated with all glory, the NFA will never accept that there is anything wrong with using 34-year-old men to play in a teenagers' tournament.

@I-man

you have not yet reached that level of enlightenment.

In his book, The Unfettered Mind, Takuan Soho wrote about THE AFFLICTION OF ABIDING IN IGNORANCE.

As a matter of fact, that was the first matter discussed in the essay. You should try and read it up sometime.

He defined Ignorance as the absence of enlightenment, which means delusion.

He then defined abiding as signifying stopping, and stopping meaning that the mind is being detained by some matter, which may be any matter at all.

Yet if Takuan Soho had the misfortune of encountering a fellow such as yourself during his lifetime, then he wouldn't need so many words to define THE AFFLICTION OF ABIDING IN IGNORANCE, he would have just called it the I-man syndrome.

Yes I can die for even Togo. As long as I can make a profound difference of which millions of generations unborn would recognise that it was for my sake that their lives were changed.

I don't believe in a jolly journey to pearly gates or riding the broadway to the pit of brimstone. I believe in living on in this world forever by achieving glory during the physical life which will keep you in the hearts and minds of people who never even lived during in the same era.

Like I said before, I can die for Nigeria. But not a useless or pointless death.

I know such things are impossible for your detained mind to understand, and I wish there was a more nursery way to put it, but there isn't. It is the Way.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 9:30am On Oct 03, 2007
@Denex

The problem is that you have a reputation as a pathological liar.Self deception is the greatest form of folly.You have to take care of the simple things first before talking about laying down your life.What is simpler than sticking to the truth?What is a compulsive liar like you doing talking about something that will never happen?

The simplest thing you can do for yourself is to be honest.Do the simple things first,then talk about greater sacrifices. grin
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by denex: 9:41am On Oct 03, 2007
The first thing you can do for yourself is to get enlightened, then you can begin to log on to forums and post.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 9:52am On Oct 03, 2007
Enlightened?If being a mendacious oaf is what you call enlightened,then you need help.You are the very antithesis of enlightment.You epitomise benightedness.

Any fool can log into forums and post as you yourself have so obviously proven  ;DThat is no substitute for getting educated and sticking to the path of truth
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by denex: 10:04am On Oct 03, 2007
Your ardent daily study of the English dictionary will not help you in life except you are training to become a comedian. Or are you?
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 10:08am On Oct 03, 2007
Are you training to be the World Most Mendacious Oaf? Is it pathological or do you aim to enter into the Guiness Book of Records? grin

No worry,if you study hard enough,you get to do what I'm doing and your English will improve.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by denex: 10:31am On Oct 03, 2007
You mean if I study hard, I'll be able to pretend I was smart?

I think one such character is sufficient for nairaland.

And by the way, since you study so hard, why don't you tickle our fancy with some more fancy words besides "apologist", "mendacious" and "oaf". Something new please to mask your ignorance better. You've said these all before.
Re: Can You Die For Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 10:35am On Oct 03, 2007
Studying hard will make you more enlightened but it won't cure your dishonesty.Studying hard will stop you regarding simple English as fancy words.A stark illiterate will regard any English as difficult,a half baked graduate will regard simple English as big grammar grin

(1) (2)

Senate Reviews Bill On Gunshot Victims / Bianca, Ojukwu’s Wife, Pays Tribute To Jonathan / Breaking News:senator Muhammad Ali Ndume Granted Bail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.