Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,279 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! (3240 Views)

Mmesoma Ejikeme Scored 334/400 In Common Entrance (Photo) / If Animals Switched Sides With Humans And Other Memes[photos] / 10 Animals Who Die Immediately (or Close To) After Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Nobody: 5:15am On Sep 15, 2021
We've all learned by now that apes are our closest living relatives in the animal kingdom, but you likely didn't know how close! We've created a list to show you exactly which animals are more like brothers, and which are only cousins on the evolutionary family tree.

1. Chimpanzees
Researchers determined back in 2005 that chimpanzees share somewhere between 98.6 and 99 percent of our DNA. They're closer to humans than they are to gorillas! Remarkably, female chimps also share a reproductive cycle similar to that of humans, with most reaching sexual maturity just before or during their teenage years. They also have a gestation period for about 8 months.

2. Bonobos

It wasn't until 2012 that we learned bonobos vary only slight from chimps. In fact, the two share 99.6 percent of their DNA. That means they're almost as close to humans on the genome sequence as chimpanzees are. Researchers believe the three of us separated on the evolutional path between 4 and 7 million years ago. Bonobos, the most emotional of all apes, regulate emotions the same way we do.

3. Gorillas

Though appearances might suggest otherwise, we're also closer in relation to gorillas than gorillas are to chimps. We share 98 percent of our genetic sequence with these majestic fellas. Scientists believe humans and our gorilla brethren diverged from a common ancestor around 10 million years ago. Fun fact: they also found that certain shared genes in our DNA cause diseases like dementia in humans, but not in gorillas.

4. Orangutans

A little further down the family tree lie the loveable orangutans who share 97 percent of their DNA with humans. It turns out male orangutans like to offer effusive displays of "tough-guy" syndrome by leaping around and breaking things before a fight. It's classic "come at me, bro" showmanship. Much like humans males, we think.

5. Gibbons

Gibbons, while belonging to the Hominoidea family like the apes featured above, are actually considered lesser apes. About 4 million years ago, these guys developed arms and shoulders that now allow them to swing through trees effortlessly. One fascinating study determined gibbons use at least 26 sounds resembling songs that the first humans used 1.8 million years ago.

6. Monkeys

A large number of species fit the definition of monkey – over 260 at last count. Researchers found last year that many aspects of our brain that control our thought processes are similar to those of monkeys. In fact, some of the most similar regions include areas that cause OCD and substance abuse.

7. Lemurs

You might've heard these guys like to move it, move it, but did you also know they're primates just like us? Okay, not just like us exactly, but close enough that we likely evolved from the same ancestor, along with lorises and aye-ayes. Unfortunately, more than 70 percent of all lemur species are currently endangered with humans being one of the biggest culprits in their demise.

8. Cats

You probably thought dogs were a little closer on the evolutionary scale, since they're supposedly our best friends. It turns out that cats actually share 90 percent of our genes. They might have also purposely inserted themselves into our homes. Evidence suggests these guys self-domesticated over 10,000 years ago by helping farmers in order to get a little extra protection and food.

9. Cows

That's right, we're related to cows. Research has shown that we share more genomes with these beautiful, big girls than we do with rodents, even though we share a more recent ancestor with mice. They think it's because rodents and smaller animals in general reproduce more rapidly leading to faster evolution.
By Ben Kerns

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Impregnable101: 5:39am On Sep 15, 2021
Cows share same DNA with some people from a particular region only lipsrsealed

22 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by illicit(m): 6:24am On Sep 15, 2021
Oh my!

I am never eating monkey meat again...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by phemmyfour: 6:25am On Sep 15, 2021
10 Dogs should come ahead of cats

Dogs are the oldest domesticated animal, having been working alongside humans some 15,000 years. They have assisted with a variety of tasks and some still do so today. Dogs have helped by herding, hunting, pulling loads, guarding and protecting, assisting police and military and being noble companions. Regardless of the dog’s breed, its origin general traces back to one of these functions. It should come as no surprise then that dogs and humans share so many unique qualities. We’ve evolved together for thousands of years, so it makes sense that we’re so much alike. Dogs aren’t called “man’s best friend” for no reason.
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
10 Dogs should come ahead of cats

Dogs are the oldest domesticated animal, having been working alongside humans some 15,000 years. They have assisted with a variety of tasks and some still do so today. Dogs have helped by herding, hunting, pulling loads, guarding and protecting, assisting police and military and being noble companions. Regardless of the dog’s breed, its origin general traces back to one of these functions. It should come as no surprise then that dogs and humans share so many unique qualities. We’ve evolved together for thousands of years, so it makes sense that we’re so much alike. Dogs aren’t called “man’s best friend” for no reason.
Cats and humans share 90% of their DNA
Cats are genetically surprisingly closer to us than dogs, who share about 84% of the genes with us (Pontius et al, 2007). You and your furry friend share a lot of the same sequences that help you eat, sleep and chase laser pointers.

1 Like

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by phemmyfour: 6:42am On Sep 15, 2021
9jah:

Cats are genetically surprisingly closer to us than dogs, who share about 84% of the genes with us (Pontius et al, 2007). You and your furry friend share a lot of the same sequences that help you eat, sleep and chase laser pointers.
Dogs are more useful even in protection. Its not about percentage in DNA.
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by benuejosh: 6:51am On Sep 15, 2021
Source?
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by duro4chang(m): 7:28am On Sep 15, 2021
No wonder, cows are more respected in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
Dogs are more useful even in protection. Its not about percentage in DNA.

Im a scientist-The article is about DNA Facts-Im not a lawyer Facts -Article is not about usefulness fact ! I deal with facts alone -Im not a lawyer ,even lawyers need forensic evidence in a modern society-I go with scientific evidence only- Collect your "L" and move on --Thank you .

6 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by ukaface(f): 7:49am On Sep 15, 2021
They're all apes.
I wasn't expecting reptiles undecided

2 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by phemmyfour: 7:57am On Sep 15, 2021
9jah:

Im a scientist-The article is about DNA Facts-Im not a lawyer Facts -Article is not about usefulness fact ! I deal with facts alone -Im not a lawyer ,even lawyers need forensic evidence in a modern society-I go with scientific evidence only- Collect your "L" and move on --Thank you .
You lack basic comprehension. Chimpanzee is about 98% in DNA ish but not more useful to man than dog. That's how you fail woefully when you lack comprehension. The first domesticated animal is DOG not CAT
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Waylex21(m): 8:08am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
You lack basic comprehension. Chimpanzee is about 98% in DNA ish but not more useful to man than dog. That's how you fail woefully when you lack comprehension. The first domesticated animal is DOG not CAT

You are the one that lacks comprehension. The article wasn't about how productive to humans the animals are, but how closely related to humans through the DNA.

You love dogs, good. Na DNA we dey talk here, not about which animal is close to humans by virtue of character.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by phemmyfour: 8:23am On Sep 15, 2021
Waylex21:

You are the one that lacks comprehension. The article wasn't about how productive to humans the animals are, but how closely related to humans through the DNA.

You love dogs, good. Na DNA we dey talk here, not about which animal is close to humans by virtue of character.
Not when you added these below to justify cats DNA

Evidence suggests these guys self-domesticated over 10,000 years ago by helping farmers in order to get a little extra protection and food.

Apply sense even when you do copy n paste
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Waylex21(m): 8:46am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:

Evidence suggests these guys self-domesticated over 10,000 years ago by helping farmers in order to get a little extra protection and food.

What is your point really?

2 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by okrikaboi: 9:04am On Sep 15, 2021
What about dolphins?
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by emmanuel1277: 9:21am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:

The guy was talking about DNA only not domestication of species
And scientifically cats are closer to us DNA wise
Simple

2 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 15, 2021
Well... DNA or no DNA... I've always love my cats... We share better bond and most time when my mood is bad for silly things, they understand and walk past me. When I'm truly sad, they understand and coil round me to provide warmth and I always love them for that. It's just like cats can sniff mood. And OMG, their behavior worth watching, especially when they put on their proud air. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Ghostrye: 10:29am On Sep 15, 2021
9jah:

I don't chase laser pointers mate
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Ghostrye: 10:32am On Sep 15, 2021
This is an educative piece. Many people won't understand this because they don't read to understand, thanks for this.
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Shukusheka(m): 10:37am On Sep 15, 2021
It is ironic that despite how much we share close DNA with these animals, cross-breeding with them is scientifically impossible as we have all evolved apart over the years.
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Shukusheka(m): 10:38am On Sep 15, 2021
ukaface:
They're all apes.
I wasn't expecting reptiles undecided
The last 3 animals are not apes.
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by aminusodiq(m): 11:19am On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
na u be the mumu... D op was comparing human dna with those animals... The comparism is not based on productivity or usefulness

1 Like

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by udomma1005(m): 11:50am On Sep 15, 2021
If I would disagree with any other animal listed, not the cow. It's closely & intimately related to the man in Aso villa from Daura!
Nice research, no wonder this man & cow na 5&6,nor wonder............ shocked

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by vinceyinnovation: 2:22pm On Sep 15, 2021
Wetin

Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Noshitboi(m): 2:27pm On Sep 15, 2021
Cows are heavily related to Fulanis. In fact, cows are Fulanis and Fulanis are cows, shekinah!!
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by Oppy2k2: 8:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
I now know d reason why someone in Aso rock can die because of cow
Re: 9 Animals Who Have More In Common With Humans Than You Think ! by damtan(m): 8:55pm On Sep 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
Your wahala is too much sha. And really, you lack comprehension. He wasn't talking about usefulness but that doesn't concern you

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oau Admission: Waec-neco Result Combination Accepted? / Oau Engineering / Neco Nov/dec 2010 Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.