Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player (27213 Views)

A Picture Of President Putin, Okocha, Pele, Maradona And Kanu / Slovenian Club Sacks Nigerian Player For Impregnating President’s Daughter / Who Scored It Better: Jay Jay Okocha Or Usman Mohammed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by abysirius(m): 5:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
Kanu is the most successful footballer in Naija and the record and facts are there for all to see.
Japan 93, Atlanta 96, Arsenal Record, Ajax Record, Inter Record, CAF record, FIFA record, etc. He played as an Integra part of all the teams he played for in Europe making marks and scoring goals. He has swags, skills and talents that differentiate him from his contemporaries. He's a great player, the type that makes u fall in love with soccer.

Including Mikel in this discussion is like trying to embarrass Kanu and Okocha. They do not belong to the same class..
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 16, 2021
Baselm:

Remind us Which of his records can't be matched

Go back to the Atlanta Olympics and tell me how many players can bring a team back from such a hopeless situation to a beautiful win...
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 16, 2021
femi4:
National team performance is key.... Olodo

So Kanu didn't have a good national team performance? Yet we brought you guys gold in the Atlanta olympics! It's like you guys are quick to forget what makes him Papilo!

Lo joko!
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Baselm: 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

Go back to the Atlanta Olympics and tell me how many players can bring a team back from such a hopeless situation to a beautiful win...

Comebacks are some of the beauties of football. Atlanta 96 was an under 23 tournament. In the Super Eagles team itself, what was Kanu's main highlight in his many years of play from 1994 to 2011

1 Like

Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2021
Baselm:

Comebacks are some of the beauties of football. Atlanta 96 was an under 23 tournament. In the Super Eagles team itself, what was Kanu's main highlight in his many years of play from 1994 to 2011

Now you know
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Mryacks: 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2021
Okocha is not as successful as Kanu and Mikel. Infact Okocha was just more skilful than the other two that isit.
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Mryacks: 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2021
abysirius:
Kanu is the most successful footballer in Naija and the record and facts are there for all to see.
Japan 93, Atlanta 96, Arsenal Record, Ajax Record, Inter Record, CAF record, FIFA record, etc. He played as an Integra part of all the teams he played for in Europe making marks and scoring goals. He has swags, skills and talents that differentiate him from his contemporaries. He's a great player, the type that makes u fall in love with soccer.

Including Mikel in this discussion is like trying to embarrass Kanu and Okocha. They do not belong to the same class..

I agree with you...But I am afraid as fantastic and artistic as Okocha is with the ball, I think Mikel is the one that comes next to Kanu in terms of most "successful"...
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by biddostandard: 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2021
Eriokanmi:
You probably were top young when Okocha and Kanu were reigning
Nah why una dey fail exam simple question who is the most successful player it's unarguable Mikel obi ,won more trophies than both
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Eastcaostboy: 6:20pm On Sep 16, 2021
Toscarel:
What can i say?

IGBO AMAKA
stop it, from igbo boy2
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Baselm: 6:28pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

Now you know
I asked you a question, you can't answer
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Orlarmeday(m): 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2021
Adejoke123:
Over the years, there have always been debate about who the greatest Nigerian Player of all time is. Kanu Nwankwo launched Nigerians to the Internal scene by being one of the first Nigerians to play for major European big boys and winning the Champions League in 1995 with Ajax.

Firstly, the greatest of all time (GOAT) is always a controvefield. This is because people use different criteria in determining who the GOAT is, and that’s why it is subjective.

But it is important to note that there’s a difference between the greatest and best player ever. Best is about ability alone while the other encapsulates everything, and that’s why I believe Ronaldo is the greatest player of his generation.

Having explained what greatness is all about, I have decided to narrow down the players that can be considered as Nigeria’s greatest player ever to three.

No disrespect to the likes of Segun Odegbami, Felix Owolabi, and Christian Chukwu, but they don’t tick all boxes, and also, they only appeal to older generations.

So the players I have picked are John Mikel Obi, Nwankwo Kanu and Austin Jay-Jay Okocha. The criteria I used in picking out this three are honours, influence, popularity and then talent.

While the likes of Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Victor Ikpeba and Emmanuel Amuneke also have a shout, I decided to go for those three because they tick all boxes.

Before revealing my choice, I’ll take a look at their careers.

Mikel is the most successful player among the three following his success with Chelsea. The 32-year-old won two Premier League titles, three FA Cups, the Champions League and Europa League during his time with the Blues.

However, while titles are important in a player’s career, it is unfair to use it as the lone criterion in the ‘GOAT’ debate.

Titles won is a function of the team, and in fairness, Mikel won these titles because he played in a time Chelsea dominated English football.

Although he made over 300 appearances for the Blues, he was not really that important in the team. Chelsea would still have won those trophies without Mikel.

He did not have the same influence as Drogba, Lampard or Terry even though he featured regularly. On the international scene, Mikel won the Africa Cup of Nations in 2013, but his national team career mirrored that of his club career.

He had over 80 caps for Nigeria, but Mikel never imposed his authority in games. He was named captain following Enyeama’s retirement, but he was overshadowed by the likes of Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa in big games.

While his time as captain was commendable, his influence on the pitch was average at best.

The second name on my list is Kanu Nwankwo. Like Mikel, Kanu also had a successful club career first with Ajax and later with Arsenal.

The lanky forward won the Champions League, three Eredivisie titles, the UEFA Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup with Ajax.

After leaving Ajax, Kanu joined Inter Milan where he won the UEFA Cup. He left Inter to sign for Arsenal, and during his time with the Gunners, he won two Premier League titles and two FA Cups.

He also won the FA Cup with Portsmouth, scoring the winner in 2008. However, unlike Mikel, Kanu was a key player in some of the teams he played for.

At Arsenal, he is fondly remembered for the hat-trick he scored against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. At the same time, he also scored some great goals against Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough and Deportivo La Coruna.

As stated earlier, he also scored the goal that won Portsmouth the FA Cup in 2008. He also won a lot of individual honours.

Kanu is a two time BBC and CAF African Player of the year, while he also finished 11th and 23rd in the 1996 and 1999 Ballon d’Or awards respectively.

But success eluded Kanu on the international stage, and that’s the only blemish in his illustrious career. His only glory moment for Nigeria came at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics where he played a major role in Nigeria’s gold medal victory.

Despite representing Nigeria at six AFCON editions, Kanu never scored a goal, while he also did not win a title. At the 2000 edition, he was one of the two players that missed their spot-kicks against Cameroon.

Nevertheless, despite his lack of trophy with the national team, Kanu appealed to a lot of Nigerians and was a role model for a lot of people, especially after coming back from heart surgery. His popularity, influence and individual honours give him the edge over Mikel.

The last person on my list is Austin Jay-Jay-Okocha. Okocha never had much success at club level, but he was the most talented and popular among the three.

Only a few players both present and past could attempt what Okocha do with the ball. He was a magician and also created a lot of unforgettable moments.

He is hugely popular with Nigerians for his trickery, creativity and ability to create something out of the ordinary. Okocha was part of the Super Eagles team that dominated the 90s, while he also played a leading role in the team in the early parts of the new Millenium.

Of the three players picked, It is Okocha that Nigerians connect with most. He carried the country so many times and was a great role model.

Ask any aspiring footballer which Nigerian player they admire most, and the answer will be Okocha. The Premier League is the popular league in the country, and Okocha is one of the reasons why it has a massive following.

Although Mikel’s move to Chelsea also contributed to Premier League’s popularity in Nigeria, Okocha’s impact was more significant.

His move to Bolton came at a time DSTV started showing the Premier League. And he never disappointed as he delivered brilliant performances which earned him legendary status at the Reebok stadium.

Jay-Jay was so good that he was named in Daily Telegraph’s Premier League best 100 players. He was the only Nigerian on that list which says a lot given he never won the Premier League.

He was also named in Pele’s top 125 living footballers. He was twice BBC African Footballer of the year and was a runner-up twice for the CAF award, and was once nominated for the Ballon d’Or.

So Who Among The Three Is Nigeria’s Greatest Player?

Kanu and Mikel achieved so much at club level, but they don’t have the same influence as Okocha. Kanu won a lot of teams and individual honours and should have been the obvious choice given he is also popular among Nigerians.

But as stated earlier, he never won anything for the National team, and that counts against him. Okocha may not have many titles as the two, but he is hugely popular among Nigerians and also the most talented.

It’s why he is racking up major endorsements even in retirement. Kanu and Mikel may have a lot of trophies, but Okocha remains Nigeria’s greatest player.

Okocha has the natural talent no doubt about it but Kano is my choice here. I started following Arsenal when Arsene Wenger bought him in 1999. I think Mikel didn’t live up to his potentials probably the way Mourinho used him in his early years at Chelsea.
Source: https://kikiotolunews.com/mikel-okocha-or-kanu-who-was-the-most-successful-nigerian-player/
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Maobichek: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
princewarri1985:
We are talking about their exploits and achievement on the Africa scene, now you're quantifying them using monetary terms and their exploits abroad, have you forgotten atlanta olympic 96? Or have you forgotten diouf of senegal naming okocha as the most skillful africa player? So it"s an insult putting these legends in the same category with mikel obi, abi you don forget that okocha free kick against cameroun or how he humilated oliver khan

The original thread was for the most successful player and in my first comment, I said: talent:Okocha, successful:Kanu, Richest: Mikel and I maintained that the overall best base on Fifa and CAF ranking is Kanu.

I remembered everything Okocha did but leaving PSG for Bolton remains the worst mistake he made. Okocha is the best among the 3 in terms of talent but Mikel's decision to stay at Chelsea paid off, thank you.

NB: go back to the thread proper, it was overall successful and not just on African soil CAF games alone, thank you.
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
SportsHD:
Okocha is the Messi while papillo is the cr7. Both are amazing no doubt.

Okocha is not Messi. He is better than Messi.

Even Germany says it
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by bomb24: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2021
get ur fact right. kanu was actually the 6th best player in the world in 95/96
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2021
Kingosytex:
I think Mikel won it all, he's more successful than the duo of Kanu and Okocha.

@Op Mikel should be 34 not 32 unless he ages backwards grin grin grin
Kanu is more successful than mikel in term of trophies
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by femi4: 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

So Kanu didn't have a good national team performance? Yet we brought you guys gold in the Atlanta olympics! It's like you guys are quick to forget what makes him Papilo!

Lo joko!
Ode! U23 isn't refer to highest level of "National team"
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Rexymania(m): 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2021
Is it Mikel na...the stats are there to check. Nation's cup, Champions league, etc
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2021
kenzysmith:
Mikel is the most successful Nigerian player, he play in the highest level longer than their 2. In terms of achievement he is d greatest of all time
1. What do you mean by highest level

2. Kanu achieve pass mikel
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 6:51pm On Sep 16, 2021
Maobichek:

Mikel won everything except Olympic gold and Mikel is the richest Nigerian who played the leather-round-object game. He was not among Chelsea's first 11 but patiently collected money and trophies including British citizenship.
Is he richer than obagoal
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 16, 2021
femi4:
Ode! U23 isn't refer to highest level of "National team"

Your point? undecided
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
Baselm:

I asked you a question, you can't answer
What's the question?
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 6:56pm On Sep 16, 2021
oyeb15:
Whenever Chelsea planned to sell Mikel, the first choice DM go get serious injury,as no club wanted to pay more than 1millon for the dude.

Okocha turned the light of the world toward Nigeria national team.Kanu became famous due to the heart stuff.

Okocha is Nigeria greatest export to the world of soccer.
Kanu became popular at 1996
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 6:59pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

There were several things that made him consider Bolton and I think the main thing was his family. He probably wanted somewhere they could live with less racism and good education for the kids and the UK is far better than other EU countries.

Regardless of his move, JJ didn't fully develop his natural talent. He didn't evolve beyond a dribbler and entertainer. He didn't learn how to finish and score goals, that was the major limitation he had.
Heard man utd almost sign him but refuse because of the jersey 10

How true Is this
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by femi4: 7:01pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

Your point? undecided
Whenever you hear "national team" in a footballing discussion, it refers to highest level of football for ones Country not u17-U23

1 Like

Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 7:01pm On Sep 16, 2021
samafooo:
I don't think people understand the meaning and definition of successful. Mikel is the most successful player among them.
APart from the trophies he won at Chelsea what else did he win
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2021
namo77:

He has no afcon medal or champions league medal.... So what makes Kanu "Highest Achiever" ?
Wikipedia is there to help you
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 7:08pm On Sep 16, 2021
jcross19:
funny you people!! The most susscesful is what us talking about Valdez of Barcelona is more successful than neure of bayen but we all know the best among the two .. Click to the op even Mikel won silver as the second best to messi in under 20 in which no Nigeria player have gotten such... Respect the bro.
Living in the past

After that what happen to him
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Classickj(m): 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2021
namo77:

World cup and Champions League medal is the highest achievement for any player...

Mikel has champions league medal..

Kanu also has Ucl medal grin
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by udemzyudex(m): 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2021
Afriqan:

Come on go and sit down... What does this one know about football.
The question says most successful, take note.
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Glycosunde: 7:26pm On Sep 16, 2021
It's Kanu, Mikel and then Okocha. Okocha wasted his talent in Bolton playing ehhh ehhh football without much meaningful impact. Zaha and the likes are playing the same way as Okocha did, forming macho in a small club. Nonsense Ingredients

Sighs.......... Drops pen
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Glycosunde: 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2021
Classickj:

Is he richer than obagoal

Mikel dust obagoal. Google their net worths. Mikel is Nigeria's richest footballer, shikena

Sighs.......... Drops pen
Re: Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2021
Classickj:

Heard man utd almost sign him but refuse because of the jersey 10

How true Is this

I doubt that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Official: Kurt Zouma Joins West Ham United / Ibrahim Muhammad Dedicates His Goal Against Argentina To President Tinubu / Super Eagles Drop Osimhen & Shehu, Invite Four New Players For AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.