Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With (14528 Views)

Poll: Which Programming Languauge Is Best To Start With

Java: 66% (18 votes)
C#: 33% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / How To Create A Simple Calculator Using Java Programing Language GUI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Seun(m): 3:13pm On May 28, 2011
@Grassroot: preach it, bro. Python is very easy to use, for the things in the Standard Library anyway.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by ektbear: 3:14pm On May 28, 2011
@BizBooks:

VB is inherently tied to windows/events/triggers (at least from what I remember from using it in HS.) Python (like C, C++ and almost every other language) is oriented mostly around text-based output.

Of course, most of these languages have some sort of toolkit for writing GUI applications too.

I think it'd have been better if he included a screen shot too:

Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by BizBooks(m): 3:30pm On May 28, 2011
I used an example whereby VB produces a message box that says "Hello World" when you click a button. I guess what I'm trying to find out is: how many lines of code it will require for Python to produce a message box that says "Hello World" when a button is clicked. I know in Javascript, a message box is called an Alert. I don't know what it is called in Python.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by cocoduck: 4:24pm On May 28, 2011
@vizbooks u just save the program as hello.py and double click
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by ektbear: 4:42pm On May 28, 2011
BizBooks:

I used an example whereby VB produces a message box that says "Hello World" when you click a button. I guess what I'm trying to find out is: how many lines of code it will require for Python to produce a message box that says "Hello World" when a button is clicked. I know in Javascript, a message box is called an Alert. I don't know what it is called in Python.

I'm not a python guy, but it appears to be pretty simple in Python too: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Python_Programming/PyQt4

7 lines of code.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Pelumiv(m): 5:06pm On May 28, 2011
Fayimora suggest java and have started studying it. now i see this thread and all are saying python, should i ditch java and head for python or what? My area of programming for now is developing apps for android, IOS, and JAR. So which language will u suggest i do?
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by BizBooks(m): 5:11pm On May 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not a python guy, but it appears to be pretty simple in Python too: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Python_Programming/PyQt4

7 lines of code.

Thank you for the information. From Ekt_bear's link above, here is the full Python code for "Hello World"

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
from PyQt4 import Qt

# We instantiate a QApplication passing the arguments of the script to it:
a = Qt.QApplication(sys.argv)

# Add a basic widget to this application:
# The first argument is the text we want this QWidget to show, the second
# one is the parent widget. Since Our "hello" is the only thing we use (the
# so-called "MainWidget", it does not have a parent.
hello = Qt.QLabel("Hello, World"wink

# , and that it should be shown.
hello.show()

# Now we can start it.
a.exec_()

The actual code is only 7 lines long but I included the comments so that the poster (if he is still reading) can understand the nature of a Python programme (by the way, comments are preceded by the # sign and are not needed for the programme to work).

Let me reveal one big secret to you: no self respecting VB programmer will argue with a C programmer. Do you know why? Because the components in VB are all written in C. This means that the forms, command buttons, radio buttons etc in VB have lines of C code underneath them, unseen. That's why VB is quite easy. All you have to do is drag and drop the components you need onto a form and continue from there.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by marcus1234: 5:18pm On May 28, 2011
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by pr3z(m): 6:12pm On May 28, 2011
Guys the question really was not which is the best programming language angry, because that would depend on what the task is.

For a newbie, go for C#, mainly because it's Java like and very closely related to C++. Best of both worlds really.

On the flip side you can try Python.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Nobody: 9:50pm On May 28, 2011
C Sucks.
memory management in this day and age?
@ ekt_bear
C does not suck! Not at all. Every seasoned programmer knows that for some tasks, you have very little choice but to use some particular programming languages. Compilers, Operating Systems, Graphics, Database Systems, Servers, and lots of time critical applications are mostly built using C/C++. My main area of interest is Graphics. I use OpenGL and DirectX; although there are bindings for other languages for the former, developers almost exclusively use C/C++ and almost every triple AAA game and tools are written in C/C++. Game programming is one area where the some of the best programmers reside. I cannot even call myself a Game Programmer. It encompasses every field from Algorithms, Compilers, Operating Systems, Database, Artificial Intelligence, and Networking. Almost every programming language was built with C. However C is not a shoe fits all; for example in the Web Development scene and mobile applications, other languages dominate.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Pelumiv(m): 11:05pm On May 28, 2011
Sorry for my dumb question, what is the application of python language. can it be use to develop games and stuff like that.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by YungDoc(m): 11:44pm On May 29, 2011
this topic is very enlightening, I too am an aspiring programmer but unfortunately may not be able to get a degree in computer science or related discipline just because of the circumstances that i've found myself, but I do believe that I can get all the info I need and become a professional through reading books, practice, and determination. I'm am currently trying to learn C++, its the first computer language I'm starting with because I understand that its the lowest-level language (apart from raw machine code of course) and will allow you to understand all the essential concepts of programming (OOP, memory management, stacks, etc). Also every other language (java, visual basic) is based on it, though I always hear that Java is more harder to grasp than C++. After I learn C++ I guess I'll move onto Java.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by isleman(m): 3:34pm On May 30, 2011
The question really is "what do you want to achieve with programming?". The task will determine which program to develop your skills on. Below is a little hint

basics - C, C++
desktop application - visual studio 2001 or 2010,
web application / websites - HTML, XML, Javascript, PHP or ASP
Games - Action Scrip 3.0, C#,
Overall - Java, .NET

You will need some IDEs for most compiler languages. NetBean IDE is ideal for Java while you may try komodo Edit 6 for other languages and DevCPP fro C and C++
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by isleman(m): 3:39pm On May 30, 2011
YungDoc:

this topic is very enlightening, I too am an aspiring programmer but unfortunately may not be able to get a degree in computer science or related discipline just because of the circumstances that i've found myself, but I do believe that I can get all the info I need and become a professional through reading books, practice, and determination. I'm am currently trying to learn C++, its the first computer language I'm starting with because I understand that its the lowest-level language (apart from raw machine code of course) and will allow you to understand all the essential concepts of programming (OOP, memory management, stacks, etc). Also every other language (java, visual basic) is based on it, though I always hear that Java is more harder to grasp than C++. After I learn C++ I guess I'll move onto Java.

You don't actually need to have a degree in computer science to know programming. Though, it's good in order to seek a job, but as computer profession and gone very professional, just read, learn, write professional exams and prove yourself of the knowledge and you are good to go anytime.

If you can be a master in any of the programs, i will advise you not to look for a job, they will look for you or better still, work for yourself.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by netghost: 5:01pm On May 30, 2011
Pelumiv:

Sorry for my dumb question, what is the application of python language. can it be use to develop games and stuff like that.

LOL
i see nothing wrong with the question,  grin

1. database driven sites (using pure cgi or a framework like django)
2. games (pyGame works fine ) "though i got tired of working with it "
3. Desktop applications (The Tk GUI development library is included with most binary distributions for Python,wxWidgets)
4. musical analysis softwares like Music21
5.Reconstructor for Ubuntu and Revisor for Fedora - applications which let users customise their GNU/Linux distribution CDs - are both written in Python
6.scientific and numeric computing

if you decide to go the python way i can help you with a complete video tutor

the truth be told, a programming language is only as good as the developer

NOTE: C# ROCKS
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Pelumiv(m): 7:39pm On May 30, 2011
netghost:

LOL
i see nothing wrong with the question,  grin

1. database driven sites (using pure cgi or a framework like django)
2. games (pyGame works fine ) "though i got tired of working with it "
3. Desktop applications (The Tk GUI development library is included with most binary distributions for Python,wxWidgets)
4. musical analysis softwares like Music21
5.Reconstructor for Ubuntu and Revisor for Fedora - applications which let users customise their GNU/Linux distribution CDs - are both written in Python
6.scientific and numeric computing

if you decide to go the python way i can help you with a complete video tutor

the truth be told a programming language is only as good as the developer

NOTE: C# ROCKS
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Thanks man. i will appreciate if i can get d tutorial on video. Thanks again.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by netghost: 9:58pm On May 30, 2011
if you are in lagos
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Pelumiv(m): 11:28pm On May 30, 2011
sure am in Lasgidi.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by duby91(m): 5:39pm On Jun 03, 2011
i think you shld strt wit C# cos java was originated from it, so its more like knwin it from the scratch , den u can strt java nd u wont need to learn much java is good nd very very simplified nd advanced cos u can do more using it, but C# wld give u d basic knwlegde which at d end of d day ul be a very good programmer,
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by netghost: 7:37pm On Jun 03, 2011
duby91:

i think you shld strt wit C# cos java was originated from it, so its more like knwin it from the scratch , den u can strt java nd u wont need to learn much java is good nd very very simplified nd advanced cos u can do more using it, but C# wld give u d basic knwlegde which at d end of d day ul be a very good programmer,

please tell me you were sleeping when you typed this
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 04, 2011
i think you shld strt wit C# cos java was originated from it, so its more like knwin it from the scratch , den u can strt java nd u wont need to learn much java is good nd very very simplified nd advanced cos u can do more using it, but C# wld give u d basic knwlegde which at d end of d day ul be a very good programmer
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Java existed far before C#,C# is a direct copy on Java
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by charlsecy4(m): 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2011
@ekt_bear
After mastering Python, what can I achieve with it?
Thanks.
Re: Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With by udswagz: 3:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
I think some people hear do not understand the question
when the author said brighter prospects he never asked for
Technical Specs, if he wanted that then there is stackOverflow

What i think he means is in case of
1. Cost of hosting
2. Availability
3. Deployability.

We can go back and forth on specs,and speed and implementations but to the market
that is not what matters, what matters is what is useful and makes economic sense to the market
which in all ramifications is PHP ! yes you can scorn all you want but that is the truth and we all know that.

In Nigerian we hardly build software, most of it is imported from the Western world who are way
ahead of us, what we do here is play catchup, save a few tech-heads.

Look at wordpress it powers almost every popular site you know.
PHP is cheap , easy to deploy, widespread and many host support it
also you can easily work with more programmers on large projects with it.
Even though it is scorned by most people who barely know it, the fact is it works and can put
money in your pocket if you know how to write it. SIMPLE !

If you like go and learn C++ , or Clojure. you will only use it for your personal stuff
and it will never put food on your table because the end user don't care what you use,
just what is cheap, works and is readily available.

Take this from an experience 3yrs + developer, who has worked for 2 Nigerian tech companies

In-case you need to develop an solid web application that works for your organisation or business
visit: www.udonline.net
I will help you create a strong web presence for your brand which aligns with the
corporate vision of your organisation.
I rest my case

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Web Design, Web Development And Mobile App Development Tutorial / I Need Advice On How I Can Create A Social Media / Simple, Rich & Fast Approach To Learning Javascript. Whatsapp Group Inclusive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.