Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Please Advise Me On Thermostat - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Advise Me On Thermostat (487 Views)

Why the need to convert car fan to Manuel and remove thermostat / Would You Advise Me To Get A Nissan And Which One Please? / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise Me On Thermostat by Provie(m): 8:52am On Sep 17, 2021
Good morning all.

My car is not reaching the recommended operating temperature. It hovers between 65 and 75 deg. Celsius. It only gets to up to 80 when I sit long in the traffic, but hardly goes beyond 80 no matter the external temperature. I even use the AC 90% of the time.

The manual says the normal operating temperature should be between 85 and 105 deg. Celsius. I changed the thermostat last week, and the only difference was that it doesn't go below 70 anymore, but still would not reach 80 easily.

The point is that the mechanics would readily tell you that even 20 is normal as long as the car is not overheating, that you should even count yourself lucky. Which is why many would prefer to remove the thermostat entirely.

But I have studied operating temperatures and the effect of low temperature on the engine (wear) and fuel economy. I use oil specification of 5w30.

I just stumbled onto the claim that thermostats have rating, that is, some maintains a temp of 70, others 75, 80, 90, etc.

Please I need the gurus in the house to advise me. Should I continue to drive the car as it is?
Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by homeboy205: 8:57am On Sep 17, 2021
Provie:
Good morning all.

My car is not reaching the recommended operating temperature. It hovers between 65 and 75 deg. Celsius. It only gets to up to 80 when I sit long in the traffic, but hardly goes beyond 80 no matter the external temperature. I even use the AC 90% of the time.

The manual says the normal operating temperature should be between 85 and 105 deg. Celsius. I changed the thermostat last week, and the only difference was that it doesn't go below 70 anymore, but still would not reach 80 easily.

The point is that the mechanics would readily tell you that even 20 is normal as long as the car is not overheating, that you should even count yourself lucky. Which is why many would prefer to remove the thermostat entirely.

But I have studied operating temperatures and the effect of low temperature on the engine (wear) and fuel economy. I use oil specification of 5w30.

I just stumbled onto the claim that thermostats have rating, that is, some maintains a temp of 70, others 75, 80, 90, etc.

Please I need the gurus in the house to advise me. Should I continue to drive the car as it is?

There is the answer to your question

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by Omeiza100: 8:57am On Sep 17, 2021
Which car model is t
N where is the follow come thermostat
N how was its functioning
Cus u said you’ve changed thermostat
Does ur fan work when you start the car ?
Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by Provie(m): 9:13am On Sep 17, 2021
homeboy205:

There is the answer to your question

Thank you very much. I wanted to be sure before I go spending again in this harsh economy. The one I just bought was 10k
Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by Provie(m): 9:27am On Sep 17, 2021
Omeiza100:
Which car model is t
N where is the follow come thermostat
N how was its functioning
Cus u said you’ve changed thermostat
Does ur fan work when you start the car ?

It's ML 350 2005 model. It's the follow-come thermostat that was removed last week. It stays between 65 & 75, and at times comes as low as 60. The engine fan works continuously, but the radiator fan works only wen the temperature rises up to 80, or if I'm using AC.

The situation is exactly the same with my other one which is the C Class. Stays between 70 & 80 after I changed the thermostat three years ago. But I never bothered, because I never knew the recommended operating temperature until I got this M class last year.

I think they sell lower rating of thermostat in Nigeria, maybe due to our hot weather.
Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by emy77: 8:07pm On Sep 17, 2021
Should any of the fans be running continuously?
That contributes to the low engine temperature
Re: Please Advise Me On Thermostat by Provie(m): 6:27am On Sep 18, 2021
emy77:
Should any of the fans be running continuously?
That contributes to the low engine temperature

Mercedes vehicles usually have a separate fan for the engine that runs continuously.

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need Wheel Alignment With New A Tyre? / RAV4 05 For Sale / Ever Being Distracted Erotically While Driving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.