Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,649 members, 7,816,663 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption (1719 Views)

Nigerian Embassy Shuts Door On Nigerians Attacked In South Africa! / ‘free El-zakzaky’, Indians Protest At Nigerian Embassy (photos) / Atiku Not In US: Nigerian Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by overseasnbeyond: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2021
I was in Nigeria for vacation sometimes December, i tried to apply for Passport renewal but due to unavailability of booklet i was unable to get it.
Fast forward to June 2021, i check online to see the nearest Nigeria embassy to process my renewal, saw the Atlanta office where they have REAL office and the Fake office

Real
Address: 8050 Roswell Rd, Atlanta, GA 30350
Hours: Opens soon ⋅ 8:30AM
Phone: (770) 369-6509

Fake
Address: 8050 Roswell Rd #100, Atlanta, GA 30350
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 7PM
Phone: (770) 369-6509

The payment porter online are different as the real charges $103 while the fake charges $169
I proceeded to form completion online pay with my credit card to the supposed Nigeria embassy passport renewal account waited for 2 months to be invited for bio metric and fingerprints but no message came inbox . I call them several times with no response and no way to leave voice mail.
Since no response from that office i plan a 6 hours trip to sought things out because of my upcoming vacation

Findings
Parking space is $20 with no receipt ( the guy acting like a tout in Oshodi)
All applicants have to pay another $130 dollar with money order apart from the online payment ( No explanation given for it)
Photocopy is $5
Fedex envelop is $15

With all these payments, applicants still have to pay bribe to all these creepy worker through the Fake embassy staff to fast track your
file( No difference from the way it operated in any Nigerian passport office)

I got in to the embassy 9am and was never finger printed until 5pm whereas i saw people that came between 10am to 2pm attended to before me.

Nigeria can never get better, we will continue to rock it like that because the corruption is now legalized at international level, imagine getting bribe with money order?

It is so obvious that corruption has come to stay in Nigeria system .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by dasparrow: 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
It's very unfortunate. I don't know the way forward either. Perhaps a call for referendum?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by Maxymilliano(m): 3:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Our Culture?!
By
Chika Unigwe

Thu Aug 12 2021

My second cousin is getting married in New York next week and as I had intended to go, I began early with my preparations. I got the details of a Naija tailor to whom I sent my aso ebi material four months in advance, told her when I needed it (first week of August) and expected that it would be ready on time for me to try on at least two weeks to the date I’d told her I wanted it for. I seem to recall that we had agreed to that. I even told her if she made it earlier and did a good job, my sisters might use her. So, imagine my shock when I called her towards the end of July to check on its progress and she gave me a haughty, “It’s not August already. Shebi it’s August you’re travelling?” Okay ooo. If this is her attitude to her customers, she shouldn’t say it’s her village people stunting her hustle in Atlanta. I can’t even go for the wedding (circumstances), so I may very well leave her with the material to do with as she pleases.

My annoyance at the tailor had barely subsided when I went to the Nigerian Consulate to pick up my passport, four days after the date I had been asked to come for it. I have no immediate travel plans but I was a Girl Guide for a minute, and I’ve never forgotten the lesson on preparedness we learned. Now, the consulate has no guest parking, but an enterprising Naija man who owns the complex with a parking spot next to the embassy charges $20 per spot. There is nowhere else (or hardly anywhere else ) nearby to park , so for each visit to the consulate, I have to cough up the parking fee.

What I expected to be an in-and-out situation with my new passport in tow ended up taking almost an hour ( and no passport). In that almost-hour, standing in line at a window inside the consulate, I listened to a frazzled African American tell whomever would listen that he had come from Columbus, Ohio because he sent his papers to DC and all he wanted to know was if they got it and “I ain’t never seen anything so disorganised in my life.” Nobody responded to him. Apparently, we don’t like non-Nigerians flagellating Naija. That privilege is ours alone smiley smiley

Eventually, the glamorous woman who’d been attending to folks at the window swanned out of the office. Those of us who had no clear idea where we were meant to be pounced on her. She told our American brother he didn’t need to be at the consulate at all. She walked him over to a piece of paper pinned onto the wall, a well-manicured nail tapping at a www address. “You need to go to this link.” She directed myself and a man who had come to pick up his passport (that ought to have been ready months ago but “I’ve been waiting for it and it hasn’t come and I have to travel for a funeral”) to a young man, Mohammed and asked him to take our papers and see if our passports were ready. “But we mail passports,” she said to us almost exasperatedly. Mohammed soon came out and said while the man’s was ready and he could take possession of it soon, mine wasn’t. “But I was told to come back on the 29th.” I pointed at the date written in ink on the paper I had been given at my appointment. I was hungry. I wished I had at least had a cup of coffee before leaving the house. “Nobody would ask you to come here to collect your passport,” the lady said. When you apply for a new passport, you bring, in addition to a money order, a self-addressed stamped next-day delivery envelope. I did that. The man who had come in to hear the fate of his did too , but we knew that it was easier to come in person than wait for the passport to be mailed. A big oga came into the office where we were to greet “his sister” who was filling a form. Apparently, he was in charge of passports because the glamorous woman who was getting ready to go back to her desk said to him (of me): “She said you asked her to come and pick up her passport. I’ve told her that nobody would have told her that.” I showed him my paper and said, “I was told to come back on the 29th.” He looked like he couldn’t decide whether to rave or laugh and said, “The date is an approximation. We haven’t even started on applications from June.” “So when should I expect my passport to be ready?” He gave me a lackadaisical “go home and wait.” $20 poorer, no passport, I am still at home waiting. I expect I’ll go back in November to see if the passport is ready by then.

And while I wait, I shall rant about how much I despise folks wasting my time. Someone said our culture encourages us to be laid back about time, that I should have known better than to have trusted that the embassy and the tailor would deliver at the promised time. “You’ve been abroad for too long.” Biko, folks can be laid back all they want to be as long as they don’t do it on my own time. And I’ll continue to expect folks who know better to do better. I refuse to accept this ridiculousness as “our culture.” Tufiakwa!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by LegendHero(m): 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2021
OP you are very very very correct.

I’ve heard numerous cases like this from friends that pass the night at my side anytime they come for their passport renewal coz I used to live very close to the Embassy in that Roswell.

As in, how do you explain the fact that 100% of those guys always have a bad thing to say about the embassy.

That embassy and their dealings made me realize that the problem is not actually Nigeria but the people that make up the entity. Seems greediness and corruption is like bread and butter among vast majorities of Nigerians.

Now to buttress my fact, people should just type Nigeria Embassy Atlanta and Google their reviews. That’s when you will shake your head for Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by otokx(m): 3:20pm On Sep 17, 2021
Most Nigerians in their office place love confusing complexities.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by overseasnbeyond: 1:02am On Sep 22, 2021
very correct
otokx:
Most Nigerians in their office place love confusing complexities.
Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by Praxis758: 2:03am On Sep 22, 2021
Trust we Nigerians to export our institutionalised indiscipline, greed and corruption to anywhere we go

Meanwhile, it takes online filling of form to get the treasured blue passport in that same country.

You can be rest assured that your blue passport will be delivered to your mailbox within some days or a week plus without going through any hurdles
Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by overseasnbeyond: 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2021
Hmmmm
Praxis758:
Trust we Nigerians to export our institutionalised indiscipline, greed and corruption to anywhere we go

Meanwhile, it takes online filling of form to get the treasured blue passport in that same country.

You can be rest assured that your blue passport will be delivered to your mailbox within some days or a week plus without going through any hurdles
Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by overseasnbeyond: 11:27pm On Jan 05, 2022
UPDATES

After 6 months , I came back home from work to receive my passport in the mail box
Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by Reflect7: 11:33pm On Jan 05, 2022
dasparrow:
It's very unfortunate. I don't know the way forward either. Perhaps a call for referendum?

And in your new banana republics there would be no corruption, as if by magic.

Dreamers.
Re: Nigerian Embassy, Atlanta Is Home Of Corruption by FarahAideed: 11:40pm On Jan 05, 2022
Nigerias problem is actually it's people , if you like move them to Sweden they will turn the place to Oshodi in 5 months

(1) (Reply)

Slap That Got Ojukwu, 100 King’s College Boys Arrested In March 1944 / See Peter Obi Football Team In Kaduna / Reaveled The reason why obi has been runing from one church to another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.