Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day (7860 Views)

Demystifying The Phenomenon Of Twins / Adage Of The Day And Its Meaning / Adage Of The Day And Its Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day by absoluteSuccess: 9:09am On Oct 03, 2021
Ajantuka n'tagbaarin is like the proverb edidi ii di bara. Binds can't hold spheres in place. Although bara is Mellon fruit.

The true intent of the proverb is that you can't yoke anything spherical.

Gbà= take.
Gbàá= take it.
Gbàá be= take it like that.
Gbà béè= accept the way it is.
Gba bè= take there.
Gba be= take scarification.
Gba be= take there, dialect
Gba bé= kick and puncture.

Ge= cut
Géè= cut it

Lù= beat
Lùú/lú beat him/her/it.

Tembelekun

Te ni be lu ekun: disgrace courtesy with cutting and puncture. Ekun as used here has to do with greetings, "full", possibly meaning be fulfilled.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day by Olu317(m): 5:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
absoluteSuccess:
^^

Olu, babaramota has made a quantum leap from being a student few months ago to being a professor. Afibi eniipe ore mi po babaramota sile gele lori.

Very well said and very well taken. God bless your wit big brother. We miss you and thank God you are back and always around. Let out the knowledge

More success.
Seriously, I have learned some amazing point in his post. The Orishas are already being reincarnated.

And I have seen one of them. Hopefully I will take my time to answer him, even you too.....

Both of you have been excellently displaying characters I see as orishas which I admire so deeply.

I pray Almighty Eledumare continues to increase our wisdom in such a way that detractors ( not humans) will give way when amọròro shines his light upon us.

Bless day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day by absoluteSuccess: 6:36am On Oct 04, 2021
Olu317:
Seriously, I have learned some amazing point in his post. The Orishas are already being reincarnated.

And I have seen another one of them. Hopefully I will take my time to answer him, even you too.....

Both of you have been excellently displaying characters I see as orishas which I admire so deeply.

I pray Almighty Eledumare continues to increase our wisdom in such a way that detractors ( not humans) will give way when amọròro shines his light upon us.

Bless day

Ajanaku kojaa morinkan firi, baaba rerin kaso paarerin.

He has a great insight no doubt. More success to you in your endeavors bro. God will always give us the strength to utilize resources at our reach.

Ignorance can never overwhelm knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Phenomenon Of The Day by Olu317(m): 5:14am On Oct 05, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

Thanks bro, great to know your dad and my dad shared the same trade. Although I've never worked side by side with my dad like you do. I cherish your experience.

The Yoruba calendar is totally different.

Their days are counted in respect to some events or developments in their polity. Ita, Orun, ije, itadogun, ogoji ojo. You will know they know about seven days a week, but they don't keep to it.

Ita is the third day after a man dies or third day of the local feast. Orun is the next market day after the present one, ije is the seventh day after a man dies. They observe seven days for such.

Itadogun is the fortnight, fifteenth day. I never come across reference to 27/1/4 days or thirty days a month with the Yoruba. This time is the market day to come in 15 days away.

Ogoji ojo has to do with women bringing out their children for the first time after delivery. The woman goes to visit relatives who visited her during the eighth day naming ceremony.

This shows that children are named after the seventh day in traditional Yoruba, rite of passage too is equally observed on the eighth day, "eni no ojo mejo baba..." So, it's seven day count.

It's like when Mary took baby Jesus to the temple and met with Simon, the new mother took her baby out on visit to her friends and family and get gifts, back then when we were growing up.

Even when a woman comes out dressing fine on no account, they will say "on jade omo". The present counting of 60 seconds makes one minute comes from Babylon.

They (Babylonians) use base 6. Yoruba seems to use base 10, hence, you will count up to to ten, then the unit numbers repeated to the count of five and another five to make a multiple of ten.

Yoruba ancient days and their names

The only name I believe to be traditional name for a day with the Yoruba is ojo abameta or ojo asesedaye. Ojo Ase seda Aye, that's Saturday. I don't know how it got fixed to Saturday.

The rest are the makings of our forebears to match up with the Gregorian calendar that we use presently. Ojo Aje, Monday, "money day" or "business day". Sunday, ojo aiku, "resurrection" day.

That's Christianity underneath. I pray some muric will not take this as inspiration for something they like to do sha.
The Yoruba calendar does not fall inline with Gregrorian pattern because our forebears desire to fuse it with Gregorian's even if we acknowledge it due to 1500AD creation of it. Beside, ancient or orthodox Christianity was founded by ancient Yorubas ,which has to do with worship or veneration of God only. The creator known as Èlé,Ẹ̀lẹ́ ,Èlédùa,Ẹ̀l'ẹ́dà,Èlédùmárè,Rìṣà Orí,Orìṣà ẹ̀làà etc.

In Odù osè iretè, to buttress my point ( Jealousy of Orumiela,against humanity because of acknowledgement and praise giving to Ogun, Orisanla (obatala)etc, when he, Orunmiela(Ẹ̀làà) is the saviour of mankind .

In Ogunda Meji and others, Ori the creator is the most powerful of all Orishas. If Ori fails a man due to such man's misconduct , then such man is doomed for disastrous life on earth till he returns back to heaven-ọ̀ọrún. And Ori, the, creator is to be worship only . Orí nikan lá bá sin ká fi òrìṣà s'ilẹ̀...... "worship creator God only and desert the men turned gods."

This show two distinctive part of Yoruba history when men honour and venerated both God and the men turned deities which is associated with sacrificial form of connecting with almighty God.

Interestingly Almighty God invoke his word and separated self from others to showcase exactly how he wants to be seen as the all in all without rival.

In Christianity, these are the two ways that are the basis for worship which are ritual method and solely God's worsihip without ancestral worship. Thus the core Christianity later accepted God worship(ori/orisha only as the source of everything in a form which I emphasis in Ogunda Meji.

Guess what Ifa says in Ogunda bede about Islam ? It will shock you.

The point here is to let you know that àìkú has no connection sunday because it is a name brought by Europeans . Rather, it has been indigenous with Yorubas for 10,000+ years of Yorubas time chronology.

In the same manner, the European scientists acknowledged this era as flooding period which Yorubas acknowledged too that tally with it, of a new period in time of historical perspective.

Below screenshot says more on it. And init, you see how the relationship between understanding of scientific approach of the ancient Yorubas acknowledged God and belief system in God for provision of knowledge given of creating time chronology.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? / Ijaw Izon! Ijaw People This is a topic For You / Distasteful Dressing By Ghanaian Women In Public (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.