Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? (19046 Views)

How To Register An Association In Nigeria / How Much To Register An Association? / All You Need To Know Before Operating Online Savings Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by mrkings84(m): 8:00pm On Sep 23, 2021
Kingstanding:
. Well, you should tell MC Oluomo to force Young shall grow and ABC transport to join the NURTW. If you register your business with CAC nobody can harras you. My brother has a pure water factory and no association dare ask him to join their bad association. Register your company and you're good to go.

Now that's the point. I told u the laws aren't for ordinary citizens. Now u mentioning ABC AND YOUNG SHALL GROW, are these the ordinary but drivers that floods Lagos roads?

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by InHeaven(m): 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2021
There's law but not effective.
This lies on State Government shoulder to halt activities of any association or make it a compulsion for them not to force anyone to join.

Those association contributes to the hike in price of commodity, they control price by force.

Thanks to Akeredolu of Ondo State for disbanding them in Ondo of recent.

Others should follow suit.

Garri seller association, pepper seller association, tomatoes grinder's association EVERYTHING is JUST TO REAP MEMBERS AND PUBLIC OFF

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by lereinter(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
mrkings84:
Good a thing u know the law so you are free to act in accordance to the law but let me warn u, these laws are not made for ordinary citizens.

It's like telling MC Olomo that u don't want to belong to NURTW.... By doing so u know what will befall u on top the law u know!!

You don't understand

Nurtw is a revenue collecting union, na government empower them

There's no need to join or not join them as far as you are doing driving for a living
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by siant: 9:04pm On Sep 23, 2021
I have been pondering on this long time ago.
As far as I am concerned, I think it is illegal for these association to compel anybody to join their a associations. There is no law that establishes these associations, as in law of the state House of Assembly or Act of the National Assembly.
Only the bodies that are established by the Act of the National Assembly or Law of a State House of Assembly have the authority that someone or organisation must be a member before carrying out their business . Example of such bodies are Nigerian Bar Association, Nigerian Medical Association, ICAN, Medical Laboratory Scientists, Society of Engineers, and so on and so forth. Anyone who is not licenced by these bodies and practise the profession even if he has all the qualifications is considered as fake, impersonator and illegal.
But all these association of phone repairers, barber and such that compel anybody to become their member before doing their business are criminals.
I saw a vulcanizer in my area, they confiscated his machine on the ground that he doesn't come to their meetings. Rubbish! Joining their association should be voluntarily, it is not that you will now forcing someone to become your member.
Even, if your association is registered with CAC, that does not give you power to regulate that profession. It only shows that your gathering, meeting is legal and not illegal association.
And what is the purpose of forming their associations? What are they discussing in their meetings? How to jack up the price of their services thereby oppressing their customers/consumers. Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by codesport(m): 9:25pm On Sep 23, 2021
Jobabori:

Those unions alligned with those government agencies you have mentioned and pay them annually, collectively from the union's purse. Forcing someone to join a trade union is illegal in theory but in practice it is difficult. You will face persecutions with the backing of law enforcement agencies and receiving spiritual attacks on the business and others. Those who benefit mostly from this cheating are the old people on that trade who have properly retired and those too old that customers are not patronizing them again. They are the one fighting tooth and nails to enforce mostly the illegal rules of the association in order to collect registration fees and fines which are usually their spoilt of 'war'. Ordinary member has little to gain from the unions. It is another form of man cruelty to man.
that's the truth, but if you as an individual could go through the same process the association went through then you are good to go(surely the first tax payment could be exorbitant but trust me the subsequent ones would just be tipping of those corrupt officials) I did the same and till today no single useless association(s) has/have ever come near me.

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by larryking540: 9:34pm On Sep 23, 2021
WarriAproko:
can you farm. Or don't you know oil is expensive. What about transportation
here comes the self defense ,there are govt para sector for all what you are calling ,even on village the garri is still expensive which one is what of transportation ,na so so excuse we sabi give ,

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by ChiSun27(m): 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2021
If you want to know how strong Association is, try running a grinding business in Lagos without joining their association and paying their fees, then you will know that the law can't save you.

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by colestephan86: 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2021
dake40:
I think getting your business registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) will save you from this stress
Yes it will
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Ororocelemi(m): 10:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
I shock! Even POS business don get association

We are evil in this country, walahi!!! angry

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by writeprof(m): 10:42pm On Sep 23, 2021
Be careful the association you join in the name of business as some are only a shadow of diabolism and occultism. You cannot afford to be lukewarm if you don't want to join them sha...you must be HOT not to join and COLD to join...
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Benbelor(m): 10:42pm On Sep 23, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
So this thing is rampant everywhere...

Here in warri,even you wey be brick layer must belong to one brick laying association....

Imagine the nonsense..... Problem for this country no dey finish........To see capital to take kick start your business na Problem self..
where do you stay in Warri?
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 23, 2021
Drug own(medicine line) na im worst pass. The last time i ask(south east) how much can register a medicine shop they told me itz almost 200k. Afta registering with such money, you ar expected nt to sale high. To survive in business these days jst hard.
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 23, 2021
Please I am doing a research on this that's why I clicked on the thread.

Kindly say why. Thanks in advance
brownemmanuel43:

Not everywhere pls, it very very common thing in the West than any other part of the country.
Here in the west virtually everything has an association, even ordinary
Grinding pepper association,
Pepper sellers association
Akara sellers association
Kpomo sellers association etc
And I know the reason why is like that but I won't state it here

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
Wow!

When did all these start?
ChiSun27:
If you want to know how strong Association is, try running a grinding business in Lagos without joining their association and paying their fees, then you will know that the law can't save you.
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by BabaIbo: 12:21am On Sep 24, 2021
dangoteinlaw:
easier said online than done offline. That's how i wanted to cut my hair and they took away the guy's gen. Smh

Calm down, she is right.

You can actually drag it and succeed but most people cave in because of the stress involved in the struggle.

Once your business is a registered business(I mean with government, for example Cooperate Affairs C... and so on), they most times show restraint but dem no go wan show am to you make e no be like say dem dey fear but once they realize you are on the know, they will give way.

That business association thing is another means of controlling the market by those top ones who have already gained ground, it is not always easy on those new ones.

2 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Izongdave(m): 12:24am On Sep 24, 2021
My brother! That was and is how some animals in this kwan3 did not just become more equal but our fons et erigo is far beneath their foot
Is not even permissible to carryout a legitimate business in some areas if you're not an indigene or granted a waiver by traditional rulers, go court na! Make judge be your only patron

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by BabaIbo: 12:26am On Sep 24, 2021
colestephan86:

Yes it will

Exactly, you know what's up.
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by BabaIbo: 12:30am On Sep 24, 2021
BamBiniCaio:
Not exactly but it's good

What is good about it please?
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Izongdave(m): 12:37am On Sep 24, 2021
siant:

I saw a vulcanizer in my area, they confiscated his machine on the ground that he doesn't come to their meetings. Rubbish! Joining their association should be voluntarily, it is not that you will now forcing someone to become your member.
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Victorious12: 3:43am On Sep 24, 2021
codesport:
It's not always easy to start up an existing business in Nigeria especially in Southern part without joining association. Although it's possible to avoid those unproductive association(s) only if the nature of the business does not require special license(s) and you will be willing to do the needed things required to start up a genuine business whether small, medium or large scale). Now let's assume you are about to start up a laundry shop, car wash, tailoring, barbershop, welding and likes you can easily go to the CAC get your business name approved, check with your L.G. revenue department, and State revenue department once those people are settled my brother/sister just paste a photocopied documents received from those aforementioned agencies in your shop, fold your arms and await any scapegoat to deal with. But if you're going for such businesses that require special license(s) e.g. Gas station, Yogurt production, pure water, soap production etc you will have no option than to join the existing association else they will frustrate all your efforts either by conniving with law enforcement agency or coming in their numbers to assault you physically.
How abt car dealers
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Asianjollof007: 7:06am On Sep 24, 2021
dangoteinlaw:
easier said online than done offline. That's how i wanted to cut my hair and they took away the guy's gen. Smh

"Very easy to say online".. There's nothing you can do offline, I have seen where they seized people's tools because they refused to join association.
I swear this association shit is sickening, must someone join association before operating a business in this country ni, even charcoal seller and POS operators get association and you must attend meetings by force
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Asianjollof007: 7:10am On Sep 24, 2021
dazzlingd:

They do that to regulate the prices of their goods and services

That should have been the main aim of creating an association but the case is different in Nigeria
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Kellyboas(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2021
Yagazee:
Please do. So that they will not show one day, lock your shop and cease you stuffs. Just do
man I've experience same challenge and believe me I dealt with it lawfully. The Man for behave anyhow I for lock am for prison. Things don't work in Nigeria because we still have people like you, who are cheated just because they the law don't work.

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by BamakSNR(m): 9:41am On Sep 24, 2021
Consult a lawyer. Simple

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by codesport(m): 11:23am On Sep 24, 2021
Victorious12:

How abt car dealers
oh! Man, Car(s) selling and buying isn't among the list of small startup business alas it requires special licence (s) to be in the game. Although if you have the financial strength to get all these licences you can also do without association.....The real intent of joining association is to even shortchange the government by paying lesser tax.
Note; I'm not a professional or better still an expert in determining what licence(s) one will be required to start up any business whatsoever, I've only doled out the little I know. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by WarriAproko: 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2021
larryking540:

here comes the self defense ,there are govt para sector for all what you are calling ,even on village the garri is still expensive which one is what of transportation ,na so so excuse we sabi give ,
so what they are buying to eat is not expensive
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by brownemmanuel43(m): 1:55pm On Oct 08, 2021
Please I am doing a research on this that's why I clicked on the thread.

Kindly say why. Thanks in advance
It would sound tribalism, that's why I don't want to state the reasons here
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Giftcardmerch(f): 9:01pm On Oct 11, 2021
I have a very good money-making plan. About gift cards, find me!
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Love800(m): 4:46pm On Mar 27
Because they want to regulate prices of goods and services. So that nobody will be able to sell low or high at his own will. They want every saleman or woman to be equal with eachother in distributing their goods or services to peoole. That is, no cheating.

Am i correct?
brownemmanuel43:

Not everywhere pls, it very very common thing in the West than any other part of the country.
Here in the west virtually everything has an association, even ordinary
Grinding pepper association,
Pepper sellers association
Akara sellers association
Kpomo sellers association etc
And I know the reason why is like that but I won't state it here
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Love800(m): 4:59pm On Mar 27
Hello.
What are you trying to say here pls?
I didnt get u.
codesport:
that's the truth, but if you as an individual could go through the same process the association went through then you are good to go(surely the first tax payment could be exorbitant but trust me the subsequent ones would just be tipping of those corrupt officials) I did the same and till today no single useless association(s) has/have ever come near me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bank CEOs Visit Yemi Osinbajo / Top Reasons You Should Make Up Your Mind About Joining Fiverr / How To Get Your FIRS TIN Online In 5mins Or Less

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.